Search the best hotels in Rafina
Rafina is the perfect place to start (or finish) an island-hopping holiday. This small ferry port, with services to islands including Mykonos, Paros, Andros, Ios and Chios is just 20 minutes from Athens International Airport by taxi or 30 minutes by bus. It's also a suprisingly pleasing place for an overnight stay. Some of the best places to stay in Rafina are located next to the town's long beach - a bonus for travellers with children.
Fishing boats bob in the shadow of island ferries in its harbour, which is lined with excellent seafood restaurants that lure diners from the city (Athens is an hour or so away). Outside each taverna, the catch of the day is displayed on beds of ice - so fresh it's still twitching.
A couple of blocks from the harbour there's a broad central square filled with cafés, and those looking for an unpretentious, budget-friendly place for an overnight stay will find some of the best places to stay in Rafina here. Killing time in this little port is actively enjoyable. It’s almost like being in the islands already.
What not to miss
- For a dip into the ancient world, hop on a bus to Vravrona, about 16km south of Rafina, to visit the ancien temple of Artemis Tavropolos - a peaceful place to while away a morning.
- Visit the Domaine Papagiannakos winery to sample some of the finest wines of the Attica region.
- Pay your respects to the Athenians who fell in battle against Persian invaders at Marathon in 490BC and take a look at the Marathon Archaeological Museum.
- Watch the sunset from the little church of Agios Nikolaos, above the harbour.
Don't forget that if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Rafina during the peak summer months, you'll need to be organised and book well ahead. This little port gets extremely busy in July and August.
The best places to stay in Rafina
For a pool
- Avra Hotel is comfortable modern hotel with all mod cons including an outdoor pool. It's next to both the harbour and beach, and enjoys great views of Mt Pendeli or out to sea from bedroom balconies.
For a Stopover
- Hotel Corali, on the town's main square, is an easy walk from the ferry quay and has unpretentious, affordable rooms, plus there are lots of cafés and restaurants on the doorstep.
For an apartment
- If you think that a self-catering option would suit you better, take a look at the range with our partner, Booking.com.
- Athens Airport is about 20km south west of Rafina, around 30 minutes away by bus.
- Rafina enjoys a temperate climate and the most popular time to visit is during the summer months of July and August, when average highs can get above 30 degrees celsius. April to June and September to October are more pleasant in terms of heat and there are less crowds too.
- If you plan to hire a car, check out the prices with our partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Take another look at the best places to stay in Rafina,
- expand your search to include all our Athens properties
- or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Rafina
Best Hotels in Rafina
Hotel Corali Rafina (Athens) 15 rooms from CA$88Value chic - This cheap and cheerful family hotel is within easy ditance of the port and being newly refurbished boasts all mod cons needed.Great walks - A sunset stroll to the towns main sight, the hilltop church Aghios Nikolaos, is highly recommeded for its picturesque views.Sights nearby - Check out the the ancient temple of Artemis Tavropolos in Rafina.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.
Avra Hotel Rafina (Athens) 29 rooms from CA$110Value chic - Close to the beach, offering comfortable rooms, extensive breakfast buffet and very reasonable prices!Great walks - Wander along Perea Seafront and take in the sights and sounds.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.