The Best Hotels in Montmartre, Paris
Montmartre, on the hill, in the 18th Arrondissement, has the same incredible views and charms that it’s always had, and still quite a village-y feel considering how short the downhill stroll is from here to the Louvre. There are lots of fantastic hotels in Paris, but our picks for 4 of the best hotels in Montmartre, Paris are special both because this is a really special place to stay, and also because they’re special in themselves. Two are particularly intimate and romantic, perfect if you imagine yourself honeymooning in Montmartre, or similar, and two are exceptionally great value, considering the location and the decor. You can tell this area is one of our personal favourites.
This part of Paris has been well loved by artists and writers, especially those of the 19th and 20th centuries, and the many cafes, bars and bistros they ate, drank and were inspired in still remain in some form or another. This is also where you’ll find the refurbished Moulin Rouge, and a cleaner, yet still romantic side to the city. And it’s all laid out beautifully around its basilica, Sacré Coeur, which is a useful landmark if you stay in one of our recommendations for the 4 best hotels in Montmartre, because you can see this striking, white domed church from all over Paris.
4 of the Best Hotels in Montmartre, Paris
For a city break
- Chic and perfectly positioned, the Grand Pigalle Hotel has 37 smart, modern rooms and suites, a superb restaurant and a very cool bar. Expect good value and an upmarket feel, plus decor with lots of memorable details that you might want to copy at home… It’s called the Pigalle, so it’s probably better to say it’s one of the best hotels near Montmartre? But Pigalle is right next door.
For a romantic stay
- For the classic romance of Paris and the Parisian Belle Époque charm consider staying at the Maison Souquet, a beautiful 20 room hotel with handwoven silk wall coverings and velvet, gilt and glossy black paint. This charming building was once an ahem, pleasure house, and it retains the feeling of intimacy and decadence. But these days it has a spa and pool too.
- While staying at the Hotel Particulier it’s easy to imagine you’re living in the romantic Paris of old, where some people, often writers, poets or artists, lived in small, elegant hotels, or in converted townhouses in the centre of Montmartre. Which is what this is: a stylishly converted townhouse with five bedrooms and some gorgeous communal rooms, and an equally gorgeous secluded courtyard hidden in a bustling part of Montmartre. With a high end restaurant in the Grand Salon, which is perfect for supper, followed by absinthe-laced Montmartre juleps in the courtyard.
For Great Value in Montmartre
- Le Relais Montmartre is a charming, 26 bedroom hotel on a quiet street just behind Sacré Coeur. Welcoming with its chintz and dainty period furniture, this hotel manages to fit a lot into a moderate space, making great use of connecting rooms to make family suites as required. There’s also a bijou courtyard where you can have breakfast if the weather is nice.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Paris,
- or try looking at our recommendations for the 4 best hotels near the Gare du Nord,
- or try further afield, and consider the 5 best hotels in The Marais?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Hotel Particulier Paris 5 rooms from £338Romantic Break - The achingly chic Grand Salon makes for a romantic evening meal, followed by Absinthe-laced Montmartre Juleps in the courtyard.City Style - The divine suites have been individually designed by renowned artists at this leafy and exclusive Montmartre hotel.Great walks - Take a stroll up the hill yo Sacré-Coeur, you'll be rewarded with the best view in Paris.Sights nearby - Make the most of your central location and catch the Can-Can at the nearby Moulin Rouge.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Five impossibly hip designed suites in a townhouse in the heart of Montmartre. Its luscious gardens provide unique seclusion in one of the most bustling areas. A happening bar and high end restaurant. An indulgent city break. See More
Le Relais Montmartre Paris 26 rooms from £112Value chic - Great value for its prime location in the popular district of Montmartre, charming rooms, courtyard and modern amenities.Sights nearby - Walking distance from Butte Montmartre, Sacré-Cœur and Place du Tertre.Lively - Hip and happening.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays, Michelin Travel, Frommers
Charming family-friendly hotel in the village-like district of Montmartre, on a quiet street, just behind Sacre Coeur. Pretty rooms are tastefully decorated in classic traditional style with modern bathrooms. Intimate and romantic, the ideal spot from which you can explore Paris at ease. See More
Maison Souquet Paris (9th arrondissement) 20 rooms from £325Local exploring - Set in the heart of the picturesque Parisian neighbourhood of Monmartre, this hotel makes a great base for local exploringHoneymoons - Book this opulent Paris bolt-hole for a luxury honeymoon; reserve private use of the spa to complete the experienceRomantic Break - Couples rate this boutique hotel highly; book a suite for added indulgenceGreat walks - Wander the picture-perfect streets of Paris on a long walk; head to the Sacré-Coeur for a romantic sunsetRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Set in a former Montmartre pleasure house, this unique hotel revives Parisian Belle Époque charm. Guestrooms are opulent love nests woven from hand-selected luxury silks; book a suite for haute-couture style. Reserve exclusive use of the hotel's spa and swimming pool; a decadent city hideaway. See More
Grand Pigalle Hotel Paris 37 rooms from £135Sights nearby - A short walk from the Sacré Coeur and Moulin Rouge with the Louvre, Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame Cathedral also nearbyLocal markets - There are several flea markets to explore all just off the Rue des Rosier, Montmartre's main streetGreat walks - Take a stroll around to truly get to know this wonderful city and its beautiful architectureRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Michelin Travel, CN Traveller, Mr & Mrs Smith
Located in Montmartre, one of the liveliest neighbourhoods in Paris, Grand Pigalle Hotel features smart modern rooms and has a superb restaurant that's definitely worth a visit. Just a short walk from Paris' sights. An upmarket stay with Parisian chic rooms - ideal for a city break. See More