The Best Hotels in the Meatpacking District, New York
The Meatpacking District… Doesn’t sound particularly appealing, does it? Sounds like pallets, freezer trucks at dawn, packaging rubbish and surly, burley men in overalls? And that was once the case, but as the actual meatpacking businesses declined they were replaced by nightclubs and other entertainments, rather than industrial tenants and suddenly the whole place started to look quite a bit different. But the 1990s the hipster boutiques started opening up - and they even got their own Apple store, so that in 2004 New York Magazine was calling the Meatpacking District ‘New York’s most fashionable neighbourhood.”. By 2015 the Meatpacking District had its own Whitney Museum of American Art outpost, plus the impressive High Line Lines Park. And some of the best hotels in New York. And our recommendations for 5 of the best hotels in the Meatpacking District certainly reflect this hipness in their decor and atmosphere. Our recommendations for the best hotels in the Meatpacking District also put you close to Greenwich Village and the West Village, and the Chelsea Market, which is a foodie mecca at the moment.
For a hip stay
- The Maritime Hotel has really taken the nautical theme and run with it throughout its 125 cabin-style rooms and suites, it’s library, lounge, it’s pool, cafe, bar and both restaurants, and all the way out its porthole shaped windows overlooking the Hudson River. And they have a 10,000square foot terrace.
For a hotel with a view
- Gansevoort Meatpacking is a vibrant, 186 room hotel with a fantastic rooftop pool and terrace with 360degree views of New York, a relaxing spa and a reputation being being a fun place after dark. The decor is modern in a 60s way and stylish, with an industrial feel that goes with the area, and rooms have big windows and high ceilings. The bistro is good too.
- The Standard is tall, thin and covered in windows, so you have views from every room - even from the comfort of your bath. The decor is chic, and a bit edgy to suit the neighbourhood, and the bar and restaurant are places to be seen in, as well as to enjoy hip all-American food. The 18th floor lounge has 360degree views, and becomes a nightclub after 9pm.
If you haven’t found you idea of the best hotels in the Meatpacking District on our Guru’s list of 5 you could try:
- Expanding your search to include our list of the best places to stay in New York? or our Guru’s recommendations for 40 of Manhattan’s Best Hotels?
- Or you could consider our list of 4 of the best hotels in Greenwich Village, right next door?
- Or you could try our Guru's recommendations for 7 of the Best Midtown Manhattan Hotels? or 5 of the Best Uptown Manhattan Hotels? or 4 4 of the Best Hotels for Wall Street and the Financial District? or 12 of Times Square’s Best Hotels?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Maritime Hotel New York 125 rooms from £267City Style - A funky nautical themed hotel in the trendy meat packing district, with a fabulous restaurant drawing a hip crowdHotel Entertainment - The hotel's two restaurants and bar draw a lively and fun young crowd of hipsters and celebsClose to nightlife - Just minutes from the meat packing district- filled with hip bars, clubs and nightlife spotsDesigner Shopping - Just a five minute walk away you will find the West Village, one of NY's top shopping areasRecommended by - Tablet
A funky and unique nautical themed hotel between Chelsea and the West Village. Compact cabin style rooms boast Queen beds and portholes overlooking the Hudson River. With two exceptional restaurants and the largest outdoor space of any New York hotel there is plenty of space for celeb spotting! See More
Gansevoort Meatpacking New York (Greenwich Village) 186 rooms from £174Groups - The Meatpacking District is renowned for its nightlife: Gansevoort's bar and nightclub draw revelers from all over the city.City Style - The Meatpacking District is hedonistic and lively, offering fantastic shopping by day, and devilish entertainment by night.Local exploring - 250 yards from High line Park, 500 yards from Chelsea Market, and well-connected to the sites of NYC.Spa breaks - The Exhale Fitness + Spa, provides the perfect opportunity for a relaxing spa break.
Vibrant hotel in the Meatpacking District complete with relaxing spa, salon, pool and lively nightlife. The rooftop pool and bar terrace offer spectacular 360-degree views, and each stylishly decorated modern room has large windows and high ceilings. The Chester bistro also serves a delicious menu. See More
The Standard High Line New York (Meatpacking District) 338 rooms from £365Romantic Break - Wonderfully indulgent suites feature romantic stand alone baths with stunning views and downstairs expect wonderful cuisine.City Style - A super trendy creation by Andre Balazs- achingly hip and housing one of New York's most sought after nightlife spots.Views - Great views of the skyline and Hudson BayRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection
Oh-so chic rooms in the edgy ambient neighbourhood of Lower West Side. Ceiling to floor windows offer stunning views across New York, even from your bath tub. Hip all American food at the hotel restaurant and a 'to be seen in' bar. A hyper-modern way to experience New York. See More