Search the best hotels in Niort
Postcard-perfect Niort is situated on the Sevre river in western France's Nouvelle-Aquitaine region. It's a good transport hub, being just over two hours to Paris on the TGV, and located at a major road junction (it's where the A10 motorway splits to either go further south or head to the west). Our pick of the best places to stay in Niort provide a charming base for exploring this interesting part of France, whether you're just passing through or planning a longer stay.
Visitors should make sure to visit the Place de la Breche, Niort's historical centre which is full of buildings dating all the way back to the medieval and renaissance periods. Despite this historical setting, Niort is still a very important town in the modern age - in fact, it's the home of France's mutual insurance companies and largely seen as the country's fourth economic centre (after Paris, Lille and Lyon).
All in all, Niort is an incredibly charming spot with its lovely setting, bustling markets and old worldly feel.
What not to miss:
- The Chateau or Donjon de Niort is a medieval castle with spectacular views over the Sevre-Niortaise valley - it was originally built by Henry Plantagenet and latterly was used as a prison.
- The fourteenth century Pilori was the town hall and is now an exhibition centre.
- There are various churches, such as the fourteenth-century church of Notre-Dame with its tall spire and the eleventh-century Roman style Saint-Florent
- The town has many attractive half-timbered houses from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.
- The Market Hall (1869) is an impressive structure of glass and steel design, very much still in use.
- Niort is also a great base for exploring the surrounding canals and marshes of the Marais Poitevin.
The best places to stay in Niort will usually be centrally-located and our choices are also excellent value for money.
For a smart mansion conversion
- La Chamoiserie, a smartly refurbished mansion, is right in the centre of town a few streets from the Notre-Dame church. The interiors are refined and elegant, yet also welcoming. Don't miss al-fresco breakfast on the terrace. The town is on your doorstep!
For a charming B&B
- The Maison La Porte Rouge also boasts a lovely location. It's a charming B&B with five stylish bedrooms plus the added bonus of an outdoor pool for the warmer months. It's great value too with doubles from just €70 per night including breakfast.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Niort is nicest weather-wise in the summer months, with the average temperature climbing to 20°C in July and August.
- However, this is peak season so book ahead as the best places to stay in Niort get quickly booked up!
- Visitors can fly into either La Rochelle Airport or Poitiers Airport before taking a train to Niort.
- Alternatively, if you'd like the freedom of having a car with you then look through the available options with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse our list of all of the best places to stay in Niort
- Widen the net to include all our recommendations in the Deux Sevres or neighbouring Charente Maritime.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our gurus for advice
Monthly Weather in Niort
Best Hotels in Niort
Maison la Porte Rouge Niort 5 rooms from $99Groups - The two upstairs studios are perfect for groups looking for a little more privacy and independence while staying in the B&B.Local exploring - Situated right in the heart of Niort, ideal for exploring the historic city on foot.Sights nearby - History buffs should check out The Donjon de Niort, a beautiful and fascinating medieval castle.Great walks - Take a day trip and go walking in the beautiful Poitevin marshes.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
La Chamoiserie Niort 16 rooms from $109Sights nearby - Ideally situated in the centre of Niort. Visit Le Donjon de NiortTennis - Tennis Courts nearby