12 of the Best Hotels near Venice's Grand Canal
The Grand Canal runs though the centre of Venice, and along its length you’ll find some of the most breathtaking buildings and views the city can afford its citizens and visitors. So refining your accommodation search to the best hotels near Venice's Grand Canal will ensure you some extra special views, and an extra special stay.
The Grand Canal is almost 4km long and runs in an s-shape through the city, both a thoroughfare and a living museum to this city’s grandeur. Choosing one of the best hotels near Venice's Grand Canal doesn’t just ensure your views, it’ll also make your life simple when it comes to getting around - you’ll find gondolas and water taxis right by your doorstep ready and waiting to ferry you to the various museums, galleries or restaurants. And of course all out Guru’s best hotels near Venice's Grand Canal are easy to get back to when you’ve finished your sightseeing or revels.
12 of the Best Hotels near Venice's Grand Canal
The Most Romantic Hotels near Venice's Grand Canal
- The Bauer Il Palazzo is a classic grand palazzo hotel with 82 sumptuous rooms,a romantic restaurant overlooking the Grand Canal, and a spa and rooftop jacuzzi.
- Or you might try the Hotel Londra Palace, which isn’t right on the canal, but it is right on the lagoon, which the canal opens onto, and is an elegant, luxurious mid-sized option with spectacular lagoon views and a fine collection of art and antiques.
The Best City Break Hotels near Venice's Grand Canal
- If your tastes run to modern decor, then Palazzina G, designed by Philip Starke, will probably be more your style, with its 22 white, glittery rooms, suites and apartments and fashionable restaurant and bar.
- The Palazzo Barbarigo is one of the smaller palazzo hotels, with just 18 rooms with sultry, art deco decor.
- Or try the Centurion Palace a stunning, traditionally grand hotel with fabulous rooms and suites filled with modern art and a beautiful courtyard and restaurant terrace. I
The Best Escapes on Venice's Grand Canal
- Al Ponte Antico has just seven rooms, all with gold brocade walls and elegant detailing, it’s also got wonderful views, especially from its charming terrace.
The Best Hotels on Venice's Grand Canal for History Buffs
- Ca Maria Adele is a 12 room boutique hotel converted sympathetically from a 16th Century Palazzo, and then decorated with rich fabrics and clever ideas.
The Best Hotels on Venice's Grand Canal For Families
- San Cassiano is an elegant, great value, canal-side B&B with lovely, original interiors - like exposed beams and tapestries - but a very family friendly atmosphere.
The Best Hotels on Venice's Grand Canal for a Special Occasion
- The Gritti Palace has been exquisitely converted from a 15th Century Doge’s Palace and has some of the most wonderful views in Venice, and its 82 rooms are some of Venice’s most opulent.
- Or, for a more affordable palace stay, try the Ca’ Sagredo Hotel, which is also magnificent and very luxurious.
The Best Value Hotels on Venice's Grand Canal
- With price from €129 per night (low season) you can stay at a charming, traditional, family-run hotel, the Pensione Accademia, which has typically Venetian accommodation and some rooms with balconies right over the canal.
- The Locanda ai Santi Apostoli is a small but stylish guesthouse with a shared sitting room and 11 bedrooms - it’s got great views of the canal from some of them, and the room rate starts at €90 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best place to stay in Venice on our list of the best hotels near Venice's Grand Canal, you could:
- Uncover the gems on our Guru’s list of Charming Budget Guesthouses in Venice?
- Or expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Venice? or just the Best Palazzo Hotels in Venice? or the Best Luxury Hotels?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
12 of the Best Hotels on Venice's Grand Canal
Hotel Londra Palace Venice 53 rooms from $328Writing a novel - Countless artists and authors have drawn inspiration from the hotel, including Tchaikovsky, who wrote his Fourth Symphony here.Romantic Break - Sumptuous suites, spectacular views, chic dining and beds that are almost impossible to pull yourself out of.City Style - Located on Promenade of Riva degli Schiavoni with Biedermeier style interiors and views of the Londra Palace.Sights nearby - The famed Piazza San Marco is just around the corner, as is the Doge’s Palace.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
140 years of history meets 21st century luxury. Large, comfortable rooms enjoy views of St. Mark’s Basin. Foodies can indulge in the fine dining menu whilst interior design lovers will appreciate the lavish, Venetian decor. Centrally located, St. Mark's Square is but a five minute walk away. See More
Ca’ Sagredo Hotel Venice 42 rooms from $306Honeymoons - This hotel drips in spendour and opulent romance- think frescoed ballrooms, palatial suites, elegant drapes and orginal artwork.Foodies - The trendy and effortlessly elegant L’Alcova restaurant serves up regional specialities with a modern twist.Sights nearby - Nestled between Ca DOro and the Rialto Bridge you're not more than a short walk or boat ride to Venice's main attractions.Local markets - The ancient Rialto Market happens just across from the hotel, a spectacle for all the senses and well worth a visit.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Fodors, Great Small Hotels
Pensione Accademia Venice 27 rooms from $143Sights nearby - 15 minutes walk to St Mark's Square and the Fenice Opera HouseTraditional - Rooms are styled in typically Venetian traditional fashionViews - Great views from hotelLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Ca Maria Adele Venice 12 rooms from $465City Style - Chic hotel with fantastic views of the Santa Maria della Salute Basilica in central Venice.Romantic Break - Ornate kingsize beds and sumptuous fabrics throughout.Great walks - Wander down to the island tip where Punta della Dogana hosts the stunning art collection of billionaire Francois Pinault.Sights nearby - The hotel overlooks the Santa Maria della Salute Basilica.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
16th-century palazzo, overlooking Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute in the Dorsoduro neighbourhood. The décor harks back to a bygone era of decadence and style. Think rich fabrics, bold wallpaper and quirky antiques. Choose one of the themed rooms for the best experience and fine lagoon views. See More
Bauer Il Palazzo Venice 82 rooms from $506Restaurant - Enjoy stunning views of the Grand Canal below with your dinner.Views - Views of the Grand Canal.Sights nearby - Two minutes from the iconic “drawing room of Europe,” St Mark's Square.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accommodated at the hotel.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Centurion Palace Venice 50 rooms from $400Local exploring - Located in the heart of the Dorsoduro district next to the Basilica of S. Maria della Salute and a number of museumsCity Style - A luxury five-star stay offering the best of both worlds in its design with the old and the newViews - Overlooks St Mark's Basin at the mouth of the Grand CanalSights nearby - Visit the neighbouring Punta della DoganaRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Stunning luxury hotel behind a classic Venetian facade perfectly situated on the Grand Canal. Fabulous rooms and suites filled with contemporary art, trendy designer furniture and clever lighting. Beautiful courtyard, restaurant with terrace, centrally located. Venice in style. See More
Palazzo Barbarigo Venice 18 rooms from $250Local exploring - Set near the Rialto bridge and overlooking the Grand Canal this is a chic central padCity Style - A glamorous stay mixing elegant traditional design mixed with 20s art decoLocal markets - Sample local delicacies in the square marketSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Palazzina G Venice 22 rooms from $350City Style - Designed by Philippe Stark this hotel is both elegant and chic yet with surprising design elements giving a sense of avant gardeViews - Located right on the Grand CanalDesigner - A Phillip Starke hotelLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Gritti Palace Venice 82 rooms from $689Honeymoons - Magnificant suites with hand-blown chandeliers, fine fabrics and balconies overlooking Santa Maria della Salute.Views - Overlooking one of Venice's most famed churches, Santa Maria della Salute.Sights nearby - Nearby San Marco district is perfect for exploring by foot.Outstanding locationRecommended by - Frommers, Fodors
Former 15th Century Doge's palace turned beautiful hotel for all. Classically styled rooms have views to die for and spectacular marble bathrooms. Tradition and elegance meet at the fine dining restaurant, with seating over the main canal. A romantic hotel with a great location. See More
Al Ponte Antico Venice 7 rooms from $361Romantic Break - Beautiful fairytale setting located in a 16th century palaceCity Style - Elegant rooms in the centre of the cityViews - Right on the Grand Canal with views of the Rialto BridgeSights nearby - Situated close to all major sights
San Cassiano Venice 36 rooms from $129Local exploring - Offering a great location in the Sestiere of Santa Croce, facing the Canal Grande, right in front of the renowned Ca’ d’OroFamilies - A family-friendly atmosphere, excellent rates and family rooms make this a great choice for those travelling with childrenSights nearby - Set just a 15 minute walk from the renowned St Mark's SquareViews - Book the deluxe room for views over the Grand CanalRecommended by - Frommers
Locanda ai Santi Apostoli Venice 11 rooms from $100Local exploring - A wonderfully central location, just minutes from Piazza San Marco, perfect for exploring on foot.Local markets - The hotel sits right opposite the Fish Market, a wonderfully unique experience.Sights nearby - The beautiful Piazza San Marco is just down the road.Views - Some rooms have views of the Grand Canal
This stylish third floor apartment guesthouse has a sitting room, small library and views of the Grand Canal. Classically styled rooms are comfortable and come with a complimentary breakfast. Location is perfect for exploring, making this the perfect budget way to get a great view. See More