Search the best hotels in Obertauern
Obertauern is one of Austria’s most snow-sure resorts, at an elevation that guarantees good snowfall — often between mid-November and early May! It also stands out for being a purpose built resort, which is a rare thing in Austria! The purpose-built-ness can be seen in the excellent lift facilities — this is not the sort of resort where the queues are a downer — and in the excellent range of accommodation options, which range along the valley, rather than being centred around an original town. The great range of accommodation means our recommendations for the best places to stay in Obertauern are a good mix of family-friendly lodges, ski-in ski-out resorts, stylish spa hotels, and traditional chalets.
One of the other advantages of Obertauern’s recent founding, is that many of its best hotels are right on the slopes, or very close to them. This is turn makes it a great choice for families and beginners, as well as serious skiers and snowboarders. With around 200kms of slopes criss-crossed by more than 1,000kms of marked trails, there’s plenty of interest for skiers of all levels. Obertauern’s other opportunities for winter fun include night skiing, tobogganing, sleigh rides and winter golf, but there’s plenty of off piste action, and snow-shoeing too.
If you’re considering visit the area in summer you’ll find the skiers replaced by hikers and bikers, exploring similar trails and mountain peaks. There are alpine lakes for kayakers or canoeists, and gorgeous meadows for relaxing in, and appreciating the views from.
Whether you’re dreaming of a winter wonderland or a summer of adventure, the best places to stay in Obertauern promise easy access to some of Austria’s most spectacular landscapes.
The Best Places to Stay in Obertauern
For Ski-in Access
- You’ll recognise the Hotel Marietta, it’s the lemon-coloured hotel showing up brightly right beside the slopes. As well as being able to ski right from the door, the Hotel Marietta’s 100 rooms and suites offer the perfect accommodation match for all sorts of groups and families. The decor nods to the alpine location, with plenty of wood, and cosy details, but there’s a good variation in how ’chalet’ the decor in the rooms goes, some are quite contemporary, while others are charmingly traditional.
- Positioned so that it directly overlooks the slopes (there’s even a ramp so you can ski right out if the front door), the Hotel Romerhof is one of our top picks for families. The 70 rooms and suites offer a range of shapes and sizes, as well as well designed family suites, and homely decor that offers a contemporary take on cosy. The spa is useful for after-slope aches and pains, and the kids will like the indoor pool. There’s also a games room with table tennis tables. The restaurant offers five course suppers to those with the appetite for it.
- From the outside, the Hotel Rigele Royal is a rather traditional looking ski lodge, compete with stacks of wood and lots of balconies overlooking the slopes. Inside, a cosy lodge atmosphere remains, with plenty of blond wood, but the decor has been updated to more minimalist style. The hotel’s 57 rooms and suites offer a comfortable base, and the spa — complete with indoor and outdoor pools and a ice grotto — is a really welcome feature. There are plenty of family room options plus a playroom and various seasonal activities for little ones including children's cinema and ski courses. The restaurant offers gourmet cuisine, but not so fussy that your kids won’t enjoy it.
- The Hotel Kohlmayr Royal is a much more contemporary take on the traditional ski lodge, located right next to the slopes and with ski hire available within the hotel. Our favourite rooms have fantastic views over the whole area. The spa and pool are a good size, and there's also a games room, and a playground for the kids, plus an earlier ’Family Meal Time’ in the restaurant, and a child-friendly menu.
- For small and chic in Obertauern, consider the Manggei Designhotel. Here they’re offering a clever riff on all the highlights of chalet-style, so the use of gorgeous local slate and lots of explored wood inside and out, and a conscious effort to make the view one of the main features. The result is light and airy, and the 25 rooms and suites are comfortable and unfussy, but still stylish. The spa and pool are perfectly sized and ideal for relaxing after a day on the hill.
- The Hotel Panorama has opted to put its views in the name, and it’s certainly warranted. The hotel has big windows on all sides to take in the glorious alpine setting from every vantage point. Many of the 80 rooms and suites have floor-ceiling windows too for soaking up the views. The decor is big on alpine tastes, with lots of wood and local stone, and cosy fabrics. The spa has a hot tub, sauna, water beds and an indoor pool, and the hotel is right beside the slopes.
For Great Value
- The Sporthotel Edelweiss has gone with ’sport’ in the name, and it fulfils this moniker with its own ski school and ski hire, great ski-in and out facilities, an excellent spa and pool, and simplicity to the decor. The 72 rooms and suites offer a configuration to suit all sorts of groups and families, and the restaurant has a great recuperation menu. In summer the focus switches to mountain bikers.
- Skihotel Krallinger is a traditional style property, with a sloping roof, wooden shutters and incredible alpine views. Inside there are just 20 rooms and suites, including very comfortable family rooms, and there’s a ski school attached. Our favourite rooms come with private balconies overlooking the slopes. Perfect for families and beginners.
For a private apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- The closest international airport to Obertauern is in Salzburg: Salzburg W.A. Mozart International Airport, which is about an hour away by car, or taxi, or about three and a half hours by public transport. You might also want to consider flying into Munich Airport, which is about two and a half hours away by car, or about five hours by train.
- If you plan to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Because of its elevation, Obertauern enjoys one of the longest ski seasons in Austria, with great snow expected between late November and early May. Tree-lined slopes mean skiers can go out in limited visibility and still enjoy themselves, and if you hit a clear, sunny day there’s nowhere better to be. Summers in Obertauern are perfect for hiking — there are around 300kms worth of trails to explore, across alpine pastures and breathtaking summits. The mountain biking routes are incredible too, and there are golf courses, horse riding opportunities and great fishing. The shoulder seasons are quieter, but the scenery is still spectacular, so you can almost always find hikers in town.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Salzburg Province
- Or expand just a little to include the local resorts of Mauterdorf, Bad Gastein, Zauchensee, Flachu and Wagrain, or Radstadt
- Or consider one of Austria’s other ski resorts. Try our recommendations for the best places to stay in St Anton, the best places to stay in Lech, Zurs, Kitzbuhel or in Obergurgl
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Obertauern
Best Hotels in Obertauern
Skihotel Krallinger Obertauern 20 rooms from £113Families - With ski school attached, it's perfect for families with kids learning to ski.Great walks - There are plenty of beautiful walking routes around Obertauern in the summer.Traditional
Easygoing, family orientated hotel on the slopes of the Obertauern ski resort. The rooms are simple and comfortable and many have mountainside balconies attached. With the ski slopes on the doorstep and a ski school attached, it's a great place for first time skiers or families to stay. See More
Sporthotel Edelweiss Obertauern 72 rooms from £139Families - With a ski school and large rooms, it's the perfect destination for a family holiday.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.
Hotel Panorama Obertauern 80 rooms from £181Outstanding location - Located in scenic alpine village close to Gamleiten 2 ski lift and Skischule KrallingerRestaurant - Top-class restaurant with Austrian and international cuisineSwimming Pool - Panorama indoor pool with over 30 degrees water temperatureRomantic - Good for couples.
Sophisticated chalet-style 4* hotel in a pretty alpine village. Rustic wood interiors and attractive eclectic furnishings. Fabulous spa facilities including hot tub, sauna, water beds and indoor pool. Ideally placed besides a ski-lift and ski-school. Special suites for honeymoons. See More
Manggei Designhotel Obertauern 25 rooms from £226Active Holiday - The hotel has easy access to the mountains and a spoiling spa to return to after an action packed day.Skiing - Obertauern offers garunteed snow and the slopes are easily accessible from the hotel.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A chic design hotel in the heart of Obertauern. Minimalist decor throughout with inspiration taken from tradition, think exposed stone and polished pine. Rooms are light and airy with large floor to ceiling windows. A spoiling spa hits the spot after a day on the slopes. An Alpine treat. See More
Hotel Kohlmayr Royal Obertauern 59 rooms from £233Families - With kids meals served at the restaurant, its own children's plaground, and games room, this is an ideal choice for family tripsActive Holiday - Hit the nearby slopes and enjoy some wonderful skiing, or alternatively go for a swim in their indoor pool-the choice is yours!Total relaxation - Unwind after a long day skiing in the sauna or, even better, book yourself a massageGreat walks - During the summer there are plenty of fantastic hiking trails all around to exploreRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel Kohlmayr Royal is situated right next to Obertauern's ski slopes and features classy, contemporary Alpine décor. There are a wide range of rooms and suites to choose from with some offering gorgeous mountain views. Relax in the spa whilst the kids play in the games room-a superb family spot! See More
Hotel Rigele Royal Obertauern 57 rooms from £250Active Holiday - Obertauern has excellent ski conditions during the winter and offers both golf and hiking during the summer.Families - Kids packages and family suites are both available, making this a stress free spot for parents.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor pool.Romantic - Good for couples.
A chic lodge boasting stunning mountain views. Simply designed rooms mix traditional pine with simple contemporary hues. A spoiling spa features both indoor and outdoor pools plus an ice grotto. Unwind over gourmet meal after a day in the mountains. Plenty of activities to partake in. See More
Hotel Romerhof Obertauern 70 rooms from £256Families - Numerous activities to entertain children and located right next to the kids' slopes so parents can keep a watchful eye.Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains play host to a number of fun outdoor activities.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Romantic - Good for couples.
A luxury hotel located directly on the slopes. Homely rooms feature warm hues, pretty patterned fabrics and pine furniture. Indulge in a five-course dinner after a day in the mountains. A spoiling spa will relieve any aches and pains. Well equipped for children, its the perfect alpine base. See More
Hotel Marietta Obertauern 100 rooms from £295Families - A great family getaway with multi-person suites, an in house games room and babysitting services on siteActive Holiday - With ski-to-door access, an indoor pool and a gym it's perfect for those looking to be activeTotal relaxation - Take advantage of the hotel's spa and wellness centre or book yourself in for a massageRestaurant - Has two restaurants!
Hotel Marietta offers chic accommodation right on Obertauern's ski slopes. The decor retains many traditional features, combined with contemporary additions. The lounge and bar have a cosy atmosphere and the hotel has its own pool, hot tub, spa. Perfect for family ski holidays! See More