Search the best hotels in Bastia
Bastia is a vibrant, living, magnetic city. The kind of place you'd imagine would be a great place to live, as well as visit. This busy port might not be as pretty as some of Corsica's other towns, but there is plenty of charm to its fading beauty - especially in the old town and the harbour. Our selection of the best places to stay in Bastia are all slightly out of town, but still easily accessible.
Things not to miss:
- Bastia is a great example of the real modern Corsica, and because its markets, shops and restaurants aren't here just for the tourist dollars, you'll find reasonable prices and good quality all over town. Even in the Place St. Nicolas, the city's focal point between the harbour and the ferry port, which is lined with cafes.
- On Sundays the Place St. Nicolas hosts the flea market. There's a more traditional weekend market at the Place de l'Hotel de Ville.
- For 'shabby chic' perfection, wander the Vieux Port, a charming area of fading, but beautiful, high-rises surrounding the marina packed with impressive yachts.
- Bastia's other fading beauties are Terra-Vecchia and Terra-Nova, both full of little streets and alleyways promising postcard perfect photo opportunities. Terra-Nova also has the citadel.
- As well as taking in the citadel, inside and out, Bastia also has some great churches - don't let the pebble dashed exteriors on some of them put you off - inside which you'll find incredible artworks.
- The old palace of the Gouverneurs has been refurbished and now houses the local museum - also worth strolling through.
Bastia is awash with Corsican charm and our choices of the best places to stay in Bastia put hopsitality and heritage at the forefront of their service.
For a historic stay
- The Demeure Castel Brando is a wonderful 19th Century castle, converted into a charming, bright 45 room hotel. White walls accentuate the vaulted ceilings and terracotta floors keep things cool. Outside there are beautiful gardens, sunny terraces and swimming pools. Wonderfully Corsican, this is one of the best places to stay in Bastia for total relaxation.
For a romantic break
- Between the coast and the mountains, La Dimora is a romantic spot, ideal for spa breaks and honeymoons. Lush gardens mask private terraces and swimming pools.
For a chic stay
- U Palazzu Serenu is one of Corsica's true design hotels. Wonderfully minimalist - but with some excellent artworks - this spot in the hills of Northern Corsica has a wonderful light which lends a lot of beauty to the simplest things. Elegant, serene and romantic. With picturesque views over the valley.
For an apartment or villa
- For those looking for a bit of extra privacy, we recommend exploring the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- For those flying to town, the best option is Bastia Airport.
- Bastia port has regular ferries to Nice, Marseilles, Toulon and Nivorno.
- For those keen on hiring a car to explore the surrounding area, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- For those in search of summer sun, Bastia boasts average temperatures in the high 20s from June to September.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Bastia
Demeure Castel Brando 45 rooms from £96Bastia, Corsica
Beautiful stone 19th century Corsican house. A lovely restoration with bright white walls, vaulted ceilings and terracotta floors. Pretty gardens, stone-paved lanes, sunny terraces, swimming pools, and great spa. Utterly relaxing.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolSpaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotel
La Dimora 17 rooms from £127Saint-Florent, Corsica
A romantic hotel set between the coast and the hills of Northern Corsica. Stunning rooms and suites in golden tones with private terraces. Swimming pool, luscious gardens, hammocks, and terraces.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolSpaSailing - Can be booked nearby.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Des Gouverneurs 26 rooms from £132Bastia
A chic boutique property situated near the coast in the heart of the city. Elegant rooms are light and airy with soft hues, luxurious bathrooms and the best have fabulous sea views. Boasting an indoor pool, wellness centre, panoramic terrace and cosy bar. An ideal base to explore the city from.Local exploring - Ideally located in the heart of the historic city with many of its main attractions within walking distance.Sights nearby - Visit the 17th-century baroque Church of Sainte-Marie.Great walks - Stroll through the citadel dating back to 1380.Views - Stunning views of the sea and Vieux Port
U Palazzu Serenu 8 rooms from £167Oletta, Corsica
Stunning designer hotel in the hills of Northern Corsica. Minimalist designs and artwork by Anish Kapoor. Something to soothe the soul. Rooms and suites with parquet floors, clean lines and brilliant light. Lovely swimming pool and restaurant. A serene and romantic hotel.Designer - Artwork by Anish Kapoor.WellbeingSwimming Pool - Outdoor Pool with viewsSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith