Search the best hotels in Haute Garonne
About Haute Garonne
Surrounding the Canal du Midi and the Garonne River and its valleys for nearly 200kilometres, the Haute Garonne region of Southwestern France was one of the original 83 departments created during the French Revolution. So it’s old, but not so old, its lands having been mostly stolen from the Languedoc. If you don’t recognise the name, think of it as the area around Toulouse, stretching from the high peaks of the Pyrenees in the south, to Grenade and Villemur-sur-Tarn in the north. And our recommendations for the best places to stay in the Haute Garonne fall mostly into two categories: Ideal for exploring Toulouse and surrounds, or Rural Escape.
The landscape of the Haute Garonne is spectacular and incredibly varied, which is what makes its rural escapes so invariably enticing. To the south the Pyrenees soar, in the middle are the lush forests that surround the river and the canal, and the sun-drenched plains around Toulouse, and in the north are rolling green hills. And dotted throughout are picturesque market towns and traditional medieval bastides, with fascinating Toulouse at its heart, with its perfectly-preserved Renaissance architecture, and its cathedrals, galleries and museums.
This is an amazing place for hiking, horse treks and long walks. Trails abound through the countryside, whether in the sky-scraping peaks of the Pyrenees, or the rolling gentle hills of the Comminges, or beside the glacial lakes on the l'Hospice de France. And there’s the possibility of float along the waters of the UNESCO-listed Canal du Midi, one of the 17th century's greatest feats of engineering, which will allow you to see a quieter side of the Haute Garonne.
Where to Stay? Which part of the Haute Garonne?
- Toulouse is the epicentre of Haute Garonne. Known as La Ville Rose or "The Pink City" due to the rose-tinted colour of its buildings, it is the fourth-largest city in France and one of the fastest-growing in Europe. A leader in innovations like aerospace engineering, Toulouse has a superbly clean and efficient Metro and a lovely pedestrianised Old Town with a popular bike system. A university town, it has a large student body and thus a vibrant nightlife. Though Toulouse's real charm lies in its marvellous Renaissance architecture, panoply of museums — including the Cite de l’space, which has a rocket! and art galleries and churches.
- Also in the north of the region is Revel, which has an impressive medieval market hall, and Saint-Felix-Lauragais, a beautifully preserved medieval bastide town with an historic, 14th century church and a hilltop castle.
- Further south, Carbonne and Cazeres also bastide towns of merit.
- The region is famous for its pretty market towns like Aurignac, Aspet and Salies-du-Salat, where you can truly soak in the culinary culture that makes France the envy of the world. In Arbas, for example, you feast your eyes on the brilliant array of cheeses, wines, tapenade and meat displayed in the market, and subsequently eat-your-heart-out.
- The historical town of Saint-Bertrand-du-Comminges, set amongst rolling green foothills, has long been considered one of the most beautiful villages in France, and the interior of her cathedral, the Sainte Marie, is so serene that it can induce fervour celeste in the hearts of non-believers.
- And nearby Valcabrère has the Romanesque Saint-Just Basilica.
- While in Montmaurin, you can find the haunting remains of a Roman villa, and walk through the pages of antiquity. Saint-Pé d'Ardet and Saint-Béat are nearby, and worth visiting for their churches and frescoes.
- Further south are the ski resorts and spa towns. Bagneres-de-Luchon, Barbazan and Salies-du-Salat have thermal baths, and Le Mourtis and Luchon-Superbagneres are probably the best known ski resorts.
The Best Places to Stay in the Haute Garonne
Rural Escapes in the Haute Garonne Region
- Where better to escape to than the quiet foothills of the Pyrenees? Which is where you’ll find La Grande Maison, a farmhouse turned B&B with four spacious rooms with exposed beams, stone walls and a charmingly rustic flavour. Outside are the views and birdsong, plus an outdoor pool. Lots to do nearby, but also the perfect retreat.
- La Chartreuse de Drudas is another small and charming B&B, which should probably also feature in our Best B&Bs section. With just four comfortable, yet very elegant, rooms, in a beautiful peach coloured manor, surrounded by rolling green hills, this is a romantic, bucolic retreat. The fragrant gardens will help you unwind, as will the pool and spa, and the views.
- Small, stylish and affordable, Le Moulin Pastelier is a country house turned boutique B&B, with just four rooms, all of them simply styled with whitewashed walls and white linen to contrast the exposed beams and rustic details. The grounds are lovely, there’s a pool and deck, and the views are a rural idyl. And they do table d'hote style suppers on request.
Some of the Most Romantic Hotels in the Haute Garonne
- La Chartreuse de Drudas should probably feature in this category too,
- but if you’re looking for a romantic hotel in Toulouse, our first pick is the chic Hotel des Beaux Arts. It’s a boutique style hotel with 19 individually designed rooms and suites, which has lovingly restored the beautiful art school it’s named after. The decor is a mix of traditional and contemporary, with some great art and excellent views, especially from the brasserie terrace, which overlooks the river.
- If you’re planning a romantic, yet affordable, break in Toulouse and the Haute Garonne region, the Hotel Garonne might be a useful tip off, with its super central location close to the Garonne River and the Place du Capitole, and 14 cosy rooms decorated with teak furnishings and shades of deep red.
The Haute Garonne’s Best Luxury Hotels
- Formerly a convent, the Grand Hotel de l'Opera is one of Toulouse’s most regal feeling hotels. It stands facade to facade with the Theatre du Capitole, close to a collection of designer shops and elegant looking restaurants. Inside are 54 rooms and suites, decorated relatively simply, but in rich red, or neutral shades, and augmented with impressive art. The Regal Suites overlook the square from their private balconies.
- For a more contemporary, design driven luxury try Le Grand Balcon, also in a central Toulouse spot. Le Balcon has 21 rooms and suites, in a range of styles and themes, including charmingly traditional, and ‘the sky’, which you can imagine is fairly edgy yet serene. It’s all stylish, and there’s a sleek bar that’s open late.
The Best Family Hotels in the Haute Garonne
- For a rural family break consider Le Pradasse, a charming farmhouse renovation with a choice of suites and cottages — one with two bedrooms, a sitting room and a kitchen, or a charming gypsy-style caravan. All are carefully decorated with character and comfort, and you’re surrounded by enormous gardens complete with an outdoor pool and the mingling aromas of growing herbs. Hiking trails run right by the property, and you’re about a kilometre for the local village.
- If you’re looking for a spacious, airy family suite in Toulouse, consider the two available at Atout Carmes. These rooms, with include kitchenettes and living space, have lovely parquet floors and high ceilings. They’re well located for seeing the sights, and are a great option for extended families, or couples who’re planning a longer stay.
The Best Value Hotels in the Haute Garonne
- The Hotel Ibis Styles Toulouse Capitole is a simple, but well located, 38 room hotel converted from a grand 19th century building in the heart of Toulouse. The decor is uniformly chic and contemporary, with pale wooden floors and large black and white photos. And you’re close to everything!
- Mama Shelter Toulouse is another familiar hotel brand with an excellent, and very affordable option in Toulouse. This Mama Shelter is tucked away behind the elegant facade of a former cinema on the Boulevard Lazare Carnot, and has 120 rooms and suites, decorated in a confident way with monochrome carpets and splashes of colour. It’s good for families too.
- Our third great value option in Toulouse is the Hotel Albert 1er, a 47 room hotel in a fantastic, central location. Converted from an elegant mansion block with large windows and typically French wrought iron railings, inside things are smart and simple.
- For a great value option outside of Toulouse try the Domaine de Gailhaguet, a charmingly renovated farmhouse with just eight homely bedrooms. Expect tiled floors, exposed beams and rustic details. Outside are beautiful, mature gardens, and a pool and tennis court. You can self cater if you want, but then you’ll miss out on the indulgent continental breakfast.
Some of the Best B&Bs in the Haute Garonne
- For something in between consider the Hors Scene, a traditional, two-room guesthouse in Toulouse, offering the intimacy of a rural option, but the convenient location of a city break hotel. Breakfast is included, served on the charming garden terrace.
Prefer an apartment or villa?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- If you’re flying into France to visit the Haute Garonne, Toulouse Blagnac Airport is probably the one to route though, though Paris is about six hours away by train.
- If you want to hire a car, which we strongly advise if you want to get out exploring, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure where to stay in the Haute Garonne?
- You could expand your search to include the best places to stay in the Midi-Pyrenees region?
- or consider what our Gurus recommend in neighbouring departments? and consider the best places to stay in Aude? or the best places to stay in Gers?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice
Monthly Weather in Haute Garonne
Best Hotels in Haute Garonne
Hotel Ibis Styles Toulouse Capitole Toulouse 38 rooms from £60Local exploring - Overlooking the Place du Capitole, this hotel is ideally located to explore the historic centre by footLocal markets - Wander through Capitole de Toulouse and browse the art exhibitions and markets held thereSights nearby - Stroll down and visit the Basilique Saint-Sernin and the quays of the Garonne
A chic modern hotel set within a grand 19th-century building with an unbeatable central location besides Capitole de Toulouse. Spacious rooms are uniformly styled with pale wooden floors, whitewashed walls, and large black and white photos. A smart city crashpad offered at very reasonable rates. See More
Mama Shelter Toulouse Toulouse 120 rooms from £69Families - Parents can opt for a family room at this hotel; the useful amenities like in-room films means that kids will love staying hereLocal exploring - Explore the picturesque streets of Toulouse from this well-located hotel, perfect for discovering the cityCity Style - With well-appointed rooms and a central location, this hotel has lots of chic city styleSights nearby - Visit the nearby Basilique Saint-Sernin de Toulouse, a famous historic abbey and national monument
This vibrant hotel is tucked away behind the facade of a former cinema on Boulevard Lazare Carnot in Toulouse. Contemporary guestrooms have innovative design, with an illuminated frame headboard, monochrome carpets and splashes of bold colour - a stylish and cosy base for exploring an exciting city. See More
Hotel Albert 1er Toulouse 47 rooms from £69Local exploring - This hotel is the perfect starting point for local exploring in Toulouse, with the city's top attractions located close byCity Style - Set in the heart of Toulouse in a pretty, period property, this hotel has lots of local city charmFamilies - Family rooms are great value for parents travelling with childrenSights nearby - Walk to the impressive Place du Capitole and its Théâtre du Capitole opera house, one of the most famous landmarks in the city
'Slow tourism' is at the heart of this boutique hotel in Toulouse. The hotel's central location makes it the perfect base for local sightseeing, and bikes are available to help guests explore the city in an eco-friendly way. Start the day with a fresh, locally sourced breakfast before setting out. See More
Domaine de Gailhaguet Haute Garonne 5 rooms from £78Weddings - With plenty of space, a beautiful backdrop and experienced staff on-hand this is an ideal spot for a rural weddingGroups - With self-catering options available, the space is ideal for group rentalsActive Holiday - Tennis, fishing and hiking are all possible nearbyFishing - River fishing can be arranged from the property
A renovated farmhouse set in beautiful mature gardens dotted with tall cypress trees. The eight homely rooms have rustic decor featuring exposed beams and stone-tiled flooring. With an outdoor pool, tennis court and indulgent continental breakfasts served this makes for a charming rural escape. See More
Hors Scene Toulouse 2 rooms from £78Short break - Convenient to get to, and with cultural activities abound, this is ideal for a weekend escapeLocal exploring - Offering a central location from which to discover ToulouseLocal markets - Peruse the regional produce on display at Victor Hugo marketLandmark - Comes with a reputation.
In the heart of Toulouse, this convenient two-room guesthouse is charmingly down-to-earth. The rooms have plenty of natural light and en-suite bathrooms. With breakfast included and a garden terrace outdoors, Hors Scene is a cosy base ideally positioned for exploring the city. See More
Hotel Garonne Toulouse 14 rooms from £82Sights nearby - Located in the heart of the old town.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Le Moulin Pastelier Haute Garonne 4 rooms from £95Country Escape - A stylish rural retreat complete with fantastic food and beautiful surrounding countrysideTennis - Use the tennis courts in the neighbouring villageRestrictions on children - Children over 12 are welcomeSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
A chic country house perfectly merging the old and the new in a beautiful part of Haute Garonne. Rooms are simply styled with white washed walls, crisp white linen and exposed beams. Spend days lounging by the pool, feasting on delicious regional fare and exploring the region. See More
Atout Carmes Toulouse 2 rooms from £100City StyleSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Local markets - Good for local colour.
La Grande Maison Haute Garonne 4 rooms from £104Back to Nature - Set in a heavily rural landscpae, enjoy the tranquility of birdsong and silent nightsActive Holiday - Within the Pyrennes, the natural landscape can provide limitless activity outdoorsFamilies - Offering family rooms and a laid-back atmosphereKayaking - Hire a kayak and spend a relaxing afternoon paddling down the river
This farmhouse turned B&B lies in the quiet foothills of the Pyrenees. The spacious rooms have a distinctly rustic feel with exposed wooden beams and old stone walls. Featuring an outdoor pool, tranquil garden and numerous outdoor pursuits close by. The perfect retreat to nature. See More
La Chartreuse de Drudas Drudas, Haute Garonne 4 rooms from £104Total relaxation - Surrounded by beautiful countryside, with comfortable rooms, a spa and pool it's perfect for a relaxing break.Local markets - Explore the local Drudas market and pick up some souvenirs to bring home.Great walks - There are plenty of excellent walking trails in the surrounding area.Sights nearby - The hotel is just five minutes drive from Chateau de Lareole.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
La Chartreuse de Drudas is a charming B&B set amidst the beautiful rolling landscape of Haute Garonne. The comfortable rooms are elegant with tasteful furniture and excellent artwork. Cycle to the stunning nearby Lareole Chateau or soak up the beautiful vistas by the pool. A bucolic gem. See More
Hotel des Beaux Arts Toulouse 19 rooms from £113City Style - Located in the former fine arts school of Toulouse, and now exhibiting the work of local artists, this hotel is chic and stylishRomantic Break - Couples love the unique atmosphere of this contemporary hotel and the romantic views over the Garonne RiverLocal exploring - Located just above the old town in Toulouse, this hotel is in a great location for local exploringGreat walks - Wander round the Jardin Royal, a beautiful public park remodelled in the 1860s; it now features a lake and exotic plants
This four-star, boutique hotel is located in Toulouse in the former fine arts school. Having undergone a loving restoration, the individually styled rooms boast a blend of classic and contemporary interiors with unique artworks; book the Cosmos Room for a cosy private terrace. A unique design hotel. See More
La Pradasse Haute Garonne 5 rooms from £135Country Escape - Enormous gardens, peaceful rooms, hiking trails from the doorstep, and the village's sights are just 1km awayFamilies - The cottage has two bedrooms, a sitting room and kitchen.Sights nearby - Albi Cordes sur Ciel and AlbiFull of characterRecommended by - Michelin Travel
A delightful farmhouse renovation with oodles of charm. A choice of film-themed rooms, a cottage or a charming gypsy caravan. All have open beams, fireplaces and warm furnishings. An enormous gardens with fragrant herbs and an outdoor pool. Romantic, family friendly, lots of character. See More
Grand Hotel de L'Opera Toulouse 54 rooms from £169Sights nearby - Perfect location bang in the centre of town.Local markets - Good for local colour.Restaurant - Recommended.SpaRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Le Grand Balcon Toulouse 31 rooms from £182City StyleSights nearby - Great location in the centre of townLocal markets - Good for local colour.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet