The Hotel Guru is my “go to” site for hotel recommendations Rebecca Terrazas.
Search the best hotels in Mirepoix
A medieval bastide town in the shadow of the Pyrenees, Mirepoix is the perfect place to go for a family holiday or a history-buff expedition. Centred around a picturesque market square lined with pastel-coloured half-timbered medieval houses, cafe terraces and shops, it is steeped in beauty and history, and is the perfect stepping stone for exploring the wider region - whether you're hiking through mountains crowned with Cathar castles or paragliding above sunswept lush green valleys. Charming, old and teeming with fascinating things-to-do, the best places to stay in Mirepoix seamlessly blend antiquated elegance with contemporary comforts.
What not to miss
- Admire the stunning facade of the Maison des Consuls, a beautiful medieval house, etched with intricate wood carvings.
- Wander around the Place des Couverts, the lovely old square that the town is centred around, and drink coffee from the comfort of a terrace cafe!
- Enjoy the puppet festival at the start of August.
- Go paragliding with Parapente 09 - found in Mirepoix itself!
- Head 4 miles out of Mirepoix to the muscular, stark ruins of Chateau de Lagarde, once known as "the Versailles of the Pyrenees", lined with 13th century houses.
- Visit Saint-Maurice Cathedral and stand awestruck at its Gothic interiors, and vast 48m long 22m wide nave - one of the largest in the world!
Architecturally astounding and teeming with culture, Mirepoix is a wonderful place to visit, particularly for lovers of history and culture vultures. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Mirepoix to find out why!
The best places to stay in Mirepoix
- L'Abbaye-Chateau de Camon: set in a former Benedictine monastery harking back to the 10th century, offering grand and elegant rooms adorned with ornate beds and antiques, in a breathtakingly romantic setting. Gourmands will love the 5 course dinner!
- Relais Royal: surely one of the most beautiful boutiques in the Languedoc, magically blending rustic traditions with a chic regard for colour and design, offering gorgeously furnished rooms that are a hodgepodge of eras. Take cooking classes, dine at the restaurant, relax by the pool or unwind in the beautiful lounge. Unbelievably cool, a perfect nest for couples.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during July, when the temperature averages at around 20 degrees.
- Fly to Carcassone Airport, (seasonal flights from major European hubs), and get a taxi to Mirepoix, 52km away.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Mirepoix
L'Abbaye-Château de Camon 6 rooms from £123Mirepoix (Languedoc)
This Benedictine monastery dates back to the 10th century. Expect grand spacious interiors and comfortable rooms in an historical, romantic setting within a picturesque village in the Cathar region not far from Toulouse. Its superb cuisine is a particular highlight.Country Escape - A luxorious former abbey and 16th centruy palace where one can unwind in style in the cloistered gardens or exquisite salon.Foodies - Gourmands will be in heaven- the five course menu dégustation is not to be missed, nor is the extensive wine list.Sights nearby - Make sure to visit the medieval city of Mirepoix, just a ten minute drive down the road.Birdwatching - Bring your binoculars, this region plays host to many rare and exotic breeds of bird.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Relais Royal 9 rooms from £175Mirepoix
An elegant chateau in central Mirepoix - an ideal location for exploring the Languedoc and Cathar region and its castles. Not far from Carcasonne, Toulouse, Albi, and at the foot of the Pyrenees. Either a luxurious place to relax after exploring, or a weekend break with friends.Local exploring - At the foot of the Pyrenees in the Cathar regions, and an hour from Carcasonne.Country Escape - Located in the Languedoc and Cathar regions.Groups - A great place for a weekend house party.Elegant