Search the best hotels in Mirepoix
A medieval bastide town in the shadow of the Pyrenees, Mirepoix is the perfect place to go for a family holiday or a cultural break. Centred around a picturesque market square lined with pastel-coloured half-timbered medieval houses, cafe terraces and shops, it is steeped in beauty and history, while being the perfect stepping stone for exploring the wider region. From hiking through mountains crowned with Cathar castles to paragliding above the sunswept lush green valleys, there is plenty to do here. Charming, old and teeming with activities, the best places to stay in Mirepoix seamlessly blend antiquated elegance with contemporary comforts.
What not to miss
- Admire the stunning facade of the Maison des Consuls, a beautiful medieval house, etched with intricate wood carvings.
- Wander around the Place des Couverts, the lovely old square that the town is centred around, and drink coffee from the comfort of a terrace cafe.
- Enjoy the puppet festival at the start of August.
- Go paragliding with Parapente 09 - found in Mirepoix itself.
- Head 4 miles out of Mirepoix to the muscular, stark ruins of Chateau de Lagarde, once known as "the Versailles of the Pyrenees", lined with 13th century houses.
- Visit Saint-Maurice Cathedral and stand awestruck at its Gothic interiors, and vast 48m long 22m wide nave - one of the largest in the world.
With all there is on offer here it is, unsurprisingly, a popular destination. So, in order to ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in Mirepoix we recommend planning your trip well in advance.
The best places to stay in Mirepoix
- L'Abbaye-Chateau de Camon: set in a former Benedictine monastery harking back to the 10th century, offering grand and elegant rooms adorned with ornate beds and antiques, in a breathtakingly romantic setting. Foodies will love the 5 course dinner!
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during July when the temperature averages at around 20 degrees.
- Fly to Carcassone Airport (there's seasonal flights from major European hubs) and get a taxi to Mirepoix, 52km away.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Ariege
- or France
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Mirepoix
Best Hotels in Mirepoix
L'Abbaye-Château de Camon Mirepoix (Languedoc) 6 rooms from £121Country Escape - A luxorious former abbey and 16th centruy palace where one can unwind in style in the cloistered gardens or exquisite salon.Foodies - Gourmands will be in heaven- the five course menu dégustation is not to be missed, nor is the extensive wine list.Sights nearby - Make sure to visit the medieval city of Mirepoix, just a ten minute drive down the road.Birdwatching - Bring your binoculars, this region plays host to many rare and exotic breeds of bird.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays