Search the best hotels in Hydra
The island of Hydra (in Greek meaing ‘ water’ - a reference to its natural springs) rises dramatically out of the Aegean Sea. Lying 37 nautical miles from Piraeus and an hour and a half by hydrofoil, this is a popular tourist and yachting destination. The best places to stay on Hydra provide an ideal base to enjoy this island paradise.
Like many Greek islands Hydra has historical links to Venice (1204-1565) and was subsequently part of the Ottoman Empire (until 1821). The island became a prosperous centre for shipping and trade and at its height had links all over the Mediterranean and beyond. It was also notable for boatbuilding. In the nineteenth century it was home to 125 boats and 10,000 sailors.
Things not to miss:
- Some of Hydra's most historic buildings are old captains' mansions. One is a Maritime Academy, another a school of fine arts and yet another is a history museum.
- Explore the island's many picturesque settlements such as the main town which fans out, crescent shaped, around the deep harbour. The are also six little hamlets.
- There are many bays and natural harbours to explore - not to mention the churches and monasteries.
- Hydra has long been a draw for artists and arty types. Leonard Cohen famously had a house here. During the peak summer months, the harbour can seem like somewhere ritzy on the French Riviera with glamourous yachts vying for a mooring beside islanders' fishing boats.
- You will find the main port bustles with restaurants, shops, markets and galleries and is a wonderful spot to sit back and watch the world go by!
There are no vehicles on Hydra, transport is by horse or donkey. While some may complain about the length of time it takes to get anywhere it does mean that the island has not been subjected to the mass development infliicted on others. On Hydra you get a sense of Greek Islands as they were for the locals before the tourists arrived!
Our pick of the best places to stay on Hydra are all ideally located in Hydra Town and there really is something for everyone from budget B&B to a luxury stay with the only hotel pool on the island!
For budget charm
- Hotel Hydroussa sits 100 metres from the quay in a quiet square filled with lemon trees. It offers great value in a central location and there is a generous American breakfast included in the price!
- Hotel Leto - This grand old lady of Hydra hotels has serene beautiful bedrooms with up to date bathrooms. Enjoy breakfast served in the courtyard and indulge in a variety of alternative therapies. Good family suites and plenty of activities for all.
For tradition and style
- The Orloff aims at traditional elegance and style with an aristocratic ambience - which it achieves wonderfully. Close to the harbour and all amenities.
For the best view
- The Hydra Hotel enjoys the best view out over the Aegean from its location perched high above the village looking down on the harbour. It has whitewashed rooms which are light and airy and is just a one mile walk from the Profitis Ilias Monastery.
For a bit of history
- The Hotel Miranda has attracted arty types since the 1960s and has the guestbook evidence to prove it! Steeped in the history of the island it is a good base for enjoying the beautiful coastal walks.
For a hotel with a pool
- Bratsera Hotel is the only hotel on the island with its own (collonaded) swimming pool. The interiors are in a fresh whitewashed style and the location is peaceful yet just minutes from the quayside.
For a seaside apartment or villa
- For those seeking an their own apartment or villa, browse the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- There is no airport on Hydra, so your best option is to fly to Athens International Airport.
- There are regular daily ferries from the Athens port of Piraeus to Hydra which take 90 minutes.
- Forget about car hire, horses and donkeys rule the roads on Hydra.
- The best time to visit Hydra is in the summer months from May to September when temperatures range between 25 and 35 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay on Hydra.
- Widen the net to include all our Peloponnese recommendations.
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hydra
Best Hotels in Hydra
Hotel Hydroussa Idra, Hydra 40 rooms from £98Local exploring - Just minutes from the port in Hydra's main town this is ideally located for getting out and about and island hoppingValue chic - Rooms are smart and comfortable with modern bathrooms and represent excellent value for moneySailing - Perfect stopping place for sailing around the Greek isles.Great walks - Beautiful walking trails along the coastline of Hydra.
Hotel Miranda Idra, Hydra 13 rooms from £130Local exploring - Superb location on Hydra Town's main street within walking distance of the port, museums and restaurantsShort break - If you're island hopping and want a central easy base on Hydra, this is it!Full of character - The property is full of beautiful period features, including stunning original painted ceilingsSights nearby - Profitis Ilias Monastery is less than a mile away.
Hotel Orloff Idra, Hydra 8 rooms from £141Romantic Break - With only a handful of rooms, all beautifully done and crammed with original features it's a very cosy romantic choiceLocal exploring - Great central location and perfect for exploring all that Hydra has to offerFull of character - The property has been lovingly restored and all rooms feature many original features and are adorned with antiquesSights nearby - George Kountouriotis Manor is within two minutes walk, with an exhibition on the history of Hydra.
Bratsera Hotel Hydra 25 rooms from £152Local exploring - Excellent, central location; the perfect launchpad for exploring HydraTotal relaxation - Boasting this tiny island's only hotel pool!Full of character - This building was once a sponge factory and many of its lovely original features still remainRestaurant - Poolside restaurant specialising in Mediterranean cuisine
A gorgeous colonnaded pool in a flower-accented courtyard, oak-beamed, whitewashed bedrooms in a historic building, and a peaceful location only minutes from the ferry quay make Bratsera one of Hydra's most magical places to stay. A delicious breakfast of local treats is included in the rate. See More
Cotommatae 1810 Hydra 7 rooms from £153Romantic Break - Traditional luxury accommodations right in the centre of town. Book the Pigeon's suite for you own private outdoor hot tubTotal relaxation - A luxurious and tranquil retreat to completely unwind in.Sights nearby - Wander through the town and discover the alleyways, squares, mansions and the monastery.Full of character - Rooms are full of original period features and lovely antiques
The quaint and humble exterior hardly reflects the luxuries within this small boutique hotel. Interiors are beautifully designed with the original quirks of the building standing comfortably against more modern touches. The beach is just a stroll away and there's plenty to explore on the island. See More
Hydra Hotel Idra, Hydra 8 rooms from £172Local exploring - Great location just seven minutes' walk from the port. Easy access to all of Hydra's main attractionsFamilies - The family suite has two bedrooms and is a good option for adults with children in towRomantic Break - With just eight newly renovated rooms, Hydra Hotel offers an intimate and cosy baseShort break - Great place for a stop off, during a sailing trip around the Greek islands
Hotel Leto Saronic Islands, Hydra 22 rooms from £191Local exploring - Superb location in the centre of town make it an ideal base for exploring the best of the islandTotal relaxation - Calming palettes, yoga and tai chi, as well as massage and aromatheraby. An urban idyll.Families - Family suites and plenty of activities make it great for all agesDiving - Boats taking divers and snorkellers depart daily
This grande dame of Hydra hotels offers calm, immaculately designed and furnished bedrooms — plus state of the art bathrooms, and suave service (including 24-hour reception). Quaint interiors provide an iconic stay with a delicious breakfast, served out in the courtyard garden, thrown in. Divine. See More