Search the best hotels in Lake Maggiore
About Lake Maggiore
The steep inclines of Piedmont's lower Alps and gentle Mediterranean climate make Lake Maggiore's vegetation lush, and are the reason why so many rare and exotic plants thrive here. So the blue expanse of Lake Maggiore looks as if it's been plucked right out of a fairytale: it's surrounded by old castles, churches, and grand villas. The pretty towns and resorts along its shores have the architecture to match their wonderful gardens, and they play host to the majority of the best places to stay in Lake Maggiore.
Lake Maggiore is an area which straddles both Italy and Switzerland, so you'll find a differential in terms of accommodation between the two countries. On the Swiss side, Locarno and Ascona play host to several luxury establishments, whilst on the Italian side you'll find more traditional, low-key properties that have been run by the same family for generations.
Where to Stay - which town?
- Locarno is a great base for exploring the north side of the Lake. Boasting the warmest climate in the whole of Switzerland, it is home to lemon and palm trees, and has a distinctly Italian flavour.
- Neighbouring Ascona is a similarly Mediterranean feeling destination. with charming old town, lake front promenade, golf course and outdoor lido.
- If you enjoy a bit of a poke round the shops, Stresa is one of the best places to stay on Lake Maggiore. You can get a lot of the Italian staples, including good leather handbags and Murano glass - at prices far lower than in Venice.
- Stresa can be lively in season, so if you prefer a quieter setting, check out Baveno, just a short drive from Stresa.
- Cannero Riviera is a charming lakeside town with much to recommend it: lovely Mediterranean style climate, beautiful flora (include world renowned Camellias) and pretty streets. The boat stop offers excellent connections to the Borromean Islands, Stresa and Locarno.
- Ranco is located at the southern end of Lake Maggiore on its eastern shore. Come here for the historic buildings, lake views and the highly recommended Il Sole restaurant.
If you're planning a visit during the busy summer months then be sure to book ahead as the best places to stay in Lake Maggiore get quickly booked up.
The Best Places to Stay on Lake Maggiore
The Best Places to Stay in Locarno and Ascona
- Castello del Sole is a luxurious getaway located on the shore of Lake Locarno. The contemporary accommodation is chic and tasteful, whilst the property's surrounded by a lovely garden full of fruit trees. With a spa to boot, it's a wonderfully relaxing spot.
- Giardino Ascona is a stunning lakeside 5*, boasting light and airy contemporary rooms as well as a two Michelin star restaurant! A dreamy stay.
- Art Hotel Riposo provides bright, colourfully decorated rooms in Ascona. With two restaurants to choose from and live music each night, it's a fun stay.
- Giardino Lago is a stylish spot with fresh, boutique-style accommodation and bikes available to use for free. Make the most out of your location to get stuck into a range of watersports.
The Best Places to Stay in Cannero Riviera
- The family-run Hotel Cannero enjoys a superb setting and boasts wonderful lakeside views. The bedrooms are traditional in style whilst there's also a piano bar, tennis court and a pool.
- Park Hotel Italia is a great option for those on a budget - offering chic rooms in a top location from just £61. Work up a sweat on the tennis court before tucking into lovely Italian and Mediterranean cuisine.
The Best Island Getaways on Lake Maggiore
- If you want to stay in one of the islands, we'd suggest you try Hotel Verbano. This is more of a restaurant with rooms, so it's also great for foodies. As well as the gourmet restaurant there are 12 really charming rooms, with romantic terraces looking onto astounding views. This is a really romantic spot, so would also work for those looking for a honeymoon destination.
- Hotel Isole Di Brissago, set in a grand 20th century house, offers traditional rooms with vintage wallpapers and large bathrooms. What's more, there's a lovely restaurant and an outdoor pool in which to enjoy a refreshing dip.
The Best Places to Stay in Stresa
- If you're looking for lakeside grandeur and a central Stresa location, book a room in the traditionally luxurious Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees. The hotel fronts onto the lake, a wonderful white facade with rows of little balconies. It oozes elegance and sophistication and also boasts great facilities including a spa and a gastronomic restaurant with lake views.
The Best Places to Stay in Ranco
- If you want wonderful views direct from your hotel room, one of the best places to stay on Lake Maggiore is Il Sole di Ranco. This is another hotel priding itself on its menu, especially its seafood - sourced direct from the lake. With 14 rooms and ten suites, some suitable for families, this is a good option for those travelling for kids.
- Albergo Belvedere is a quaint restaurant with rooms featuring wonderful views of Lake Maggiore. The rooms are simple and stylish, whilst you can also enjoy private candlelit dinners on request - ideal for a couples retreat.
The Most Romantic Places to Stay on Lake Maggiore
- Locanda de Mai Intees, set in a charmingly traditional property, boasts wonderfully romantic and atmospheric rooms - complete with wooden beams and frescoed floors. Enjoy private diners for two in the dining room before relaxing in the whirlpool hot tub.
- Casa Ambica is an intimate 5-room stay with a private attic room which is perfect for couples. The rooms are comfortable and simple, offering splendid views of the Maggiore Valley, plus there's a cosy lounge and lovely gardens.
Prefer An Apartment Or Villa?
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise you're best off visiting Lake Maggiore in the summer months, with the average temperature rising to 22°C in July and August. This however is peak season, so if you fancy visiting at a quieter and cheaper time (but still enjoying the good weather!) then consider coming in May or September.
- International visitors can fly into Milan Malpensa Airport before taking a train up to Lake Maggiore, with the journey taking an hour and a half. Ryanair fly direct from Stansted to Milan, easyJet from Gatwick, Luton and Edinburgh, whilst British Airways go from Heathrow.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay on Lake Maggiore for you?
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay on Lake Maggiore.
- Widen the net to look through our recommendations for the best places to stay in Lake Como or across the border in Lugano.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Lake Maggiore
Best Hotels in Lake Maggiore
Castello Seeschloss Ascona 45 rooms from £84Active Holiday - With such a maginificent setting, one is involuntarily drawn outdoors, to swim, hike, or perhaps just for a lakeside stoll!Back to Nature - Get up into the hills surrounding Lake Maggiore to see the beautiful mountain lake and its environsGreat walks - Whether you want to do some serious hiking or just a gentle lakeside stroll, all is possible from the village of AnconaCooking classes - The hotel organises cooking classes on request. Ask at reception for more information
This magnificent Castello's setting on the shore of Lake Maggiore is truly special. The high-ceiling rooms are palatial, with large windows and ornate plaster-work and furnishings. With a heated pool and a restaurant offering lakeside dining with stunning views. A perfect romantic destination. See More
La Capuccina (NO), Lake Maggiore 9 rooms from £95Foodies - Foodies will be bowled-over by renowned chef Gianluca Zanetta's contemporary take on regional dishesCountry Escape - Charming, quiet, picturesque and producing superb cuisine; a rural idyllGreat walks - Head out straight from the property and enjoy the beautiful countrysideSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A real agritourism experience in a renovated farmhouse headed by famed chef Gianluca Zanetta. The homely feel in this charming property, set near Lake Maggiore, will put you instantly at ease. The rooms are quaint and personalised while the restaurant is undoubtedly excellent. See More
Hotel Cannero Cannero Riveria, Lake Maggiore 55 rooms from £104Foodies - Exquisite lakeside terrace for breakfast, lunch and dinner.Views - Magnifcent views overlooking Lake Maggiore.Total relaxationLakeside
Charming old-fashioned establishment run by the same attentive and gracious family for decades. Spectacular position on Lake Maggiore with beautiful views. Spotless bedrooms, piano bar, lakeside terrace, pool and tennis court. Buffet breakfasts are a speciality. The perfect place to unwind. See More
Albergo Belvedere VA, Lake Maggiore 12 rooms from £111Romantic Break - Special private candlelight dinners under the stars can be arranged on request.Families - Great for families, extra cots for children below 3 years can be provided.Views - Right by the Lake Maggiore with all rooms offering wonderful views.Fishing - A perfect base for anglers the hotel has their own fishing boats and can take you out for the day
A quaint little restaurant with rooms in a stunning location with views of Lake Maggiore. The simple and stylish rooms offer a laid back atmosphere. The renowned restaurant serves local food and boasts a terrace with panoramic views. A charming base for local explorers or more active types. See More
Park Hotel Italia Lake Maggiore 31 rooms from £113Hideaway - An elegant lakeside property. Gloriously tranquil and with plenty of outdoor activities to rejuvinate oneself.Value chic - Incredible value, especially for this locationGreat walks - Meander along one of the lakeside trails and soak in the stunning scenery.Sailing - A private pier is available for those arriving by boat.
An imposing lakeside property with spectacular views. Elegant interiors with high ceilings and sash windows. Light and airy rooms are traditional in design and boast private balconies. A traditional Italian and Mediterranean restaurant with panoramic views. Very reasonably priced. A tranquil abode. See More
Hotel Verbano Stresa Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Lake Maggiore 12 rooms from £130Views - All the rooms have stunning views over Lake MaggioreRomantic BreakFoodiesHoneymoonsRecommended by - Frommers, CN Traveller
Special restaurant with rooms set on an island of Lake Maggiore. Excellent local cuisine from romantic terraces overlooking the lake. Lovely bedrooms and living areas in creams, with brick fireplace, wooden beams, white washed walls, and private balconies. Ideal for a romantic break or a wedding. See More
Locanda de Mai Intees Azzate Varese, Lake Maggiore 12 rooms from £130FoodiesSights nearby - In the centre of the Italian Lake district.TraditionalLocal markets - Good for local colour.
A charmingly traditional private residence with an excellent gourmet restaurant. Rooms and suites have frescoed walls, mezzanine levels, wooden beams, parquet floors, and attractive fabrics. Plenty of activities, close to Lake Maggiore. Romantic, gourmet and family friendly. See More
Giardino Lago Locarno (Minusio) 14 rooms from £163Lakeside - RIght by Lago MaggioreElegantTowelling robesCountry Escape
This hotel marries amazing views of the stunning Lago Maggiore with a stylish boutique feel that offers simple but attractive design features. Upon the lake, guests are encouraged towards a number of watersports, including fishing. The restaurant offers fine cuisine, and bicycles are free to hire. See More
Casa Ambica Gordevio 5 rooms from £142Romantic Break - The attic room provides enough privacy and amazing views from its balcony. Good for couplesBack to Nature - In a peaceful setting, this property offers wonderful mountain views of the Maggia ValleyGreat walks - Excellent scenic hikes through the mountains surrounding the property. Finish with a dip in the river close bySights nearby - Must visit the church in Mogno
A 19th century house painstakingly renovated providing comfortable accommodation. Rooms feature chestnut wood furniture, art on the walls and bathtubs in all bathrooms. A cosy lounge area with a fireplace and a lovely garden outdoors. Fresh homemade breakfast is served every morning. See More
Il Sole di Ranco Ranco Varese, Lake Maggiore 14 rooms from £156Views - Great views from hotelFoodiesSwimming Pool - Oudoor poolCooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Art Hotel Riposo Ascona, Lake Maggiore 31 rooms from £224Local exploring - A charming property well located by the lake in order to explore Ascona and the surrounding area.Sights nearby - Take a stroll through the pretty historic centre of Locarno.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Full of character
An artfully designed hotel on the edge of the pretty town of Ascona. Brightly coloured rooms are hip and fresh and most boast private balconies and lake views. A choice of two restaurants both with outdoor dining. Live music held on some evenings. A trendy choice in a great location for exploring. See More
Hotel Isole di Brissago Brissago 10 rooms from £226Hideaway - Staying in the 20th century building feels like having the whole island to yourself, with delightful botanic gardens to exploreSights nearby - Regular ferry services provide connections to the lakeside villages of Lake Maggiore, including Locarno, Porto Ronco and AsconaGreat walks - Walk round the peaceful island; hotel can prepare packed lunchesOutstanding location
Hotel in grand 20th century house located on an island in Lake Maggiore. Gorgeous rooms have vintage style wallpaper, lakeside views and big bathrooms. Original floors and stucco ceilings with chandeliers, outstanding views, verandahs and popular restaurant. A unique and memorable stay. See More
Eden Roc Ascona 95 rooms from £180Sights nearby - Visit the incredible nearby sanctuary of Madonna del Sasso in Orselina, a 15th century pilgrimage site.Romantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Grand Hôtel des Iles Borromées Stresa Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Lake Maggiore 179 rooms from £217Romantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelSpa breaksSwimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsRecommended by - CN Traveller
Giardino Ascona Ascona 72 rooms from £259Active Holiday - Sat on a stunning lake and with golf, sailing and mountain biking all on offer.Foodies - Ecco Ascona has been awarded two Michelin stars.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor pools.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Tablet
A five star property situated on the stunning Lake Maggiore. Set in Mediterranean gardens reflective of its location on the Swiss Italian border. Contemporary light airy rooms the best of which have french doors leading straight on to the garden. A Two Star Michelin restaurant. Complete luxury. See More
Castello del Sole Ascona 78 rooms from £331Country Escape - With mountains as a backdrop and vineyards surrounding this is an idyllic spot to unwind in some country air.Families - Numerous activities to keep all entertained plus a playground and babysitting services for children.Sailing - Use the hotel boat and spend the day cruising on Lake Maggiore stopping off at market places and castles along the way.Tennis - Tennis courts on site.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
A luxury hotel situated on the lakeshore of Lake Locarno. Framed by mountains and sitting in gardens full of fruit trees. Spoiling rooms mixing traditional furniture in a contemporary setting. The bathrooms are large and very modern. A glorious spa for complete relaxation. A spoiling stay. See More
Villa Orselina Locarno 28 rooms from £356Hideaway - A perfect escape- pamper yourself at the spa, feast at one of the excellent restaurants and admire the views of the lake.Sights nearby - Visit the 15th century sanctuary of Madonna del Sasso in Orselina, less than five minutes walk from the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelOpulentRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Villa Orselina is a blissful hotel overlooking Lake Maggiore and the Alps. The deluxe white on white rooms, feature floor to ceiling windows and lavish bathrooms. With an extensive spa and three restaurants you will be well taken care of. Perfect for a romantic break by the lake. See More