- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Sorrento
Being described as 'a jewel of the Amalfi Coast' raises expectations somewhat. But this civilised old resort town has carried this accolade for years and is used to it. She perches comfortably on the side of a broad stretch of pine-clad cliff next to the Amalfi Drive. Leaving the honour of keeping lookout across the Bay of Naples to a set of famously luxurious hotels - obviously some of the best places to stay in Sorrento! - from which guests can view Mount Vesuvius, Capri and Naples as they dine on the terraces.
What not to Miss
Warm and colourful, the old city walls enclose a wealth of treasures:
- Sorrento's Duomo is impressive, it has a fresco on the outside, a triple tiered bell tower, elegant but unusual columns and a clock.
- The Chiesa di San Francesco has lovely Arabic influenced architecture and famously lovely cloisters which host a world class program of concerts in the summer.
- The Correale Museum has a rich assortment of arts and crafts, with an especially notable clock collection, embroidery display and Greek and Roman artefacts.
- Sorrento makes a good base for exploring the peninsular, Pompeii and the other nearby archaeological sites and Capri.
- Beautiful and historic, Sorrento is also a resort town. So there are plenty of local souvenir shops selling the lacework, ceramics and marquetry that people have been bringing back for centuries. There are also mellow, sunlit piazzas to ponder in, bustling markets to nose about in, chic little boutiques to overspend in and a seemingly endless choice of heavenly local eateries.
As you'd imagine the city is hugely popular especially during the peak summer months, so if you want to bag yourself a bed in one of the best places to tay in Sorrento, do yourself a favour and book early! Otherwise, plan your visit for quieter months, when the streets will be less crowded, but the location no less beautiful.
The best places to stay in Sorrento
For the Best Views
- The Villa Eliana is outside Sorrento, but its views of pretty Sorrento and the gulf beyond mean it deserves inclusion. Originally built in the 60s as a private vila for the wife of a Neapolitan ship-builder, the house has fab. retro architecture, modern decor and just six rooms.
For luxury and romance
- If you like the sound of those 'famously luxurious hotels' then book the Bellevue Syrene. Once a private residence, this palace has been romantically refurbished so is now a palace for many. There are rambling terraces with breathtaking views, marble floors, vaulted ceilings, private pools and a private beach… Ideal if you're planning a romantic break.
- The Villa dei D’Armiento is just along the coast from Sorrento, a large white, converted mansion once home to a nobleman. Decorated with flair these seven rooms are definitely boutique and very chic. There’s a garden with a lovely pool and you’re just a short stroll from the beach.
- The Grand Hotel Cocumella is a chic and charming mid-sized hotel on the outskirts of town. There are spectacular ocean views and the hotel is surrounded by quiet gardens, plus a choice of three restaurants.
- For those who prefer something chic and boutique, one of the best places in Sorrento is Masion la Minervetta. With only 12 rooms decorated with a nautical theme, this hotel is fun, funky, has wonderful views and feels like a home from home. Only 15 minutes walk from the centre of town, this is also perfect if you want to be in the heart of things.
- The Palazzo Marziale is a traditional townhouse with 10 colourfully decorated rooms with a retro but elegantly Italian vibe. Close to local cafes and restaurants, they have a great cafe in house.
- Maison Tofani has been carefully converted from a splendid 18th century townhouse in the heart of Sorrento and is now a 12 rooms design hotel with a great seafood restaurant.
- Perfect for anyone who can afford it, the beautiful Bell Epoque era Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria has a fabulous spot overlooking the gulf with a selection of 91 rooms and suites - some of a very generous size, plenty of history and a romantic restaurant.
For the Beach
- The Palazzo Montefusco is a boutique guesthouse in the historic part of Sorrento with five contemporary rooms and a private stretch of beach just for hotel guests!
- The Palazzo Jannuzzi Relais is just a short stroll from the beach on the postcard-perfect Piazza Tasso. There are 12 rooms, decorated in cheery yellow - some with private balconies.
- Veru B&B is a welcoming three room B&B in the centre of town close to the Cross Italia. You have everything you need for a great night’s sleep in these stylish, modern European rooms.
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Naples Airport is Sorrento’s closest airport, from which there is a good, regular bus service. Alternatively you can catch a taxi down to the hydrofoil port and sail across the bay, or take a taxi all the way. You can also arrive via rail or by water missing Naples out completely if you’re not coming from that direction.
- If you want to hire a car - which we strongly advise if you’re staying in Sorrento and you want to see more of the Amalfi Coast - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Even in wet winter Sorrento still gets eight hours of sunshine a day! That’s what a Mediterranean climate will do for you. Summer is hot and dry and spring and autumn are very pleasant. Summer is peak time for visitors. If you want to swim in the sea try September or October, if you’re just looking for sunshine then May will be beautiful.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Sorrento
Yacht Club Capo Cervo Suites 3 rooms from £105Sorrento NA,
A fabulous hideout overlooking the Port of Sorrento. Rooms are decorated with antiquities recovered from local shipping fleets, creating an atmosphere of charmingly decorated sea cabins. Romantic views of the coast, a perfect location for those wishing to explore the beautiful sights of Naples.Beach Life - Situated in the bay of NaplesViews - Across the harbour and out to seaSights nearby - 500 metres from Corso ItaliaFull of character - Maritime themed
Veru B&B 3 rooms from £114Sorrento
A welcoming B&B, ideally situated at the centre of Sorrento. Stylish modern European rooms - bright white with splashes of colour and spotless private bathrooms. There are just three rooms at the hotel, making it a haven for a good night's sleep whilst exploring the beautiful city and coast.Local exploring - At the heart of Sorrento, perfect for discovering the beautiful surroundingsShort fly break - Clean, simple, chic and every need catered for - great for a short stayLocal markets - Close to the Corso Italia and local shopping sites
Palazzo Jannuzzi Relais 12 rooms from £131Sorrento (Amalfi Coast)
Just a short walk from the beach and located on the postcard perfect Piazza Tasso. Bedrooms are decorated in a bright and cheery yellow and some have small private balconies. A friendly little bed and breakfast great for local exploring.Local exploring - A great base for exploring Sorrento and the wider Amalfi Coast region.Sights nearby - Sorrento Cathedral is 200 metres from the property. Sorrento Port is a 5-minute walk awayGreat walks - Good hiking trails on the Sorrento Peninsula for all abilitiesSailing - Take a private boat tour to explore the coast
Villa Eliana 6 rooms from £138Sorrento (Massa Lubrense NA,)
A fine private home built for the wife of Neapolitan ship-owner Achille Lauro, with spectacular views of the bay of Naples and Capri. Rooms are modern, with splashes of bright colour, contrasting with the edgy white 60s architecture. The villa's fabulous location makes it a perfect wedding venue.Romantic Break - A fabulous place to relax and watch the sunset - film-set worthy locationWeddings - The villa can be privately hired for stunning wedding locationSights nearby - A short drive from the beach, 1 hour drive from NaplesCooking classes - Classes in traditional Italian cuisine
Palazzo Marziale 10 rooms from £139Sorrento (Napoli)
A traditional town house property; the interior displays a candy box coloured design treat. Each of the ten rooms are decorated in a grown-up retro style combined with Italian elegance and antique pieces. Breakfast, cakes & pastries are served daily. Sorrento's popular cafes are walking distance.Sitting RoomSights nearby - Trips to the archaeological city of Pompeii can be arranged.Sailing - Take a boat the beautiful island of Capri for the day.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Relais Correale Rooms & Garden 6 rooms from £140Sorrento
Elegant renovated farmhouse, surrounded by a beautiful garden with olive, orange and lemon trees. Chic modern rooms are bright and airy, embellished with ornate tiles and fabrics. Guests can enjoy a moment of calm on the sun terrace and breakfast is served under a lush traditional arbour.Local exploring - Central location at the heart of SorrentoBeach Life - Just an 11 minute walk from the beachGarden - With fragrant citrus groveSights nearby - Just 1 km away you will find boats to the islands of Capri and Ischia
Villa Dei D'Armiento 7 rooms from £160Sorrento
Under refurbishment during 2019. Very chic, very boutique. A large white mansion, previously a nobleman's house, decorated with flair. Huge white washed rooms with high ceilings filled with art and antiques. Lovely garden and swimming pool, and a short walk from the beach. Sleeps up to eighteen.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Mr & Mrs Smith
Palazzo Montefusco 5 rooms from £172Sorrento
A boutique guest house in the historic town of Sorrento. Bedrooms are contemporary, spacious and bright. A private area at the beach is reserved for hotel guests. Clean and contemporary. An ideal property for exploring the wider area and enjoying the best of the town.Sights nearby - In the heart of Sorrento's old town, just minutes from the most interesting historical and cultural sites.Local markets - Explore the daily local markets
Laqua 6 rooms from £175Sorrento
A wellness hotel on the Amalfi coast with sea views and an elegant spa. The six tranquil bedrooms, designed with relaxation in mind, each have a private plunge pool on the shared outdoor terrace. Relaxed, communal dining and restaurants nearby. A fantastic location to explore the local region.Total relaxation - Tranquil, Feng Shui bedrooms, each with a private plunge pool on the sea view terrace.Private Hot Tub - Private plunge pool area with each roomGreat walks - Parco Regionale dei Monti LattariSights nearby - Mount Vesuvius
Maison Tofani 12 rooms from £175Sorrento
Maison Tofani has the splendour of an 18th century townhouse, in the heart of Sorrento. Bedrooms incorporate modern furniture and contemporary design with original period features of the building. Dine on fresh local fish in the charming dining room. Excellent location for exploring.Local exploring - A classy location, in the historical centre of Sorrento - fantastic for exploring the coast and the Campania RegionSights nearby - Royal Palace in CasertaTraditional
Palazzo Abagnale 14 rooms from £184Sorrento
Designer hotel built in 2009, this ultra modern guest house is very close to Sorrento's main square. Three design themes and floors: Light Floor, Pop Floor and Black Decor Floor. Quiet and pretty Mediterranean garden, friendly service, spacious family rooms and a delicious buffet breakfastTown - Excellent location inthe middle of the town and close to the water frontFamily Suites - Designer rooms come in doubles, triples or quadsB+B - Buffet breakfast or breakfast in your roomFamilyRecommended by - Tablet
Maison la Minervetta 12 rooms from £246Sorrento
Fabulous small boutique hotel in the cliff face of Sorrento. Exquisite rooms and suites with maritime themes. Red, blue, and yellow decoration offset by white washed walls, pine floors, and the blue of the ocean. A great choice for a romantic break.HoneymoonsRomantic BreakSights nearby - 15 minute walk to the centre of SorrentoSwimming Pool - Outdoor Pool with stunning viewsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Grand Hotel Cocumella 50 rooms from £246Sorrento (Sant'Agnello)
Chic and charming hotel situated at the outskirts of town. Extremely quiet with great ocean views. Four poster beds, period furniture and bath tubs for the romantics. Choice of three restaurants on site. Superbly delicious.Weddings - Huge spaces to host large events like receptions, weddings or concertsTotal relaxation - Comfortable rooms, a pool and a full service spa with massagesRomantic Break - Lovely rooms, exceptional service and wonderful viewsLocal markets - There are lots of places to explore in this area
Villa Oriana Relais 6 rooms from £263Sorrento
Nestled in lemon and orange groves, minutes from the Sorrento city centre, Villa Oriana Relais offers panoramic views of the gulf and countryside surrounding Sant'Agnello. Rooms are bright, traditionally decorated, with private patios. Total relaxation in a gorgeous family-run hotel.Off centre - 2.5 km away from the city centre, a tranquil settingSit-out Terrace - With stunning panoramic viewsViews - Overlooking the baySights nearby - A short distance from the main port, from which to explore Capri and IschiaRecommended by - Sawdays
Bellevue Syrene 48 rooms from £316Sorrento
A spectacular Five Star hotel with a wonderful heritage. Once a private residence, then the choice of poets, artists and glitterati, now romantically refurbished and fit for the modern traveller. Utterly romantic - rambling terraces, spectacular rooms, a private beach and wonderful restaurant.Beach Life - Private beach.Romantic BreakHoneymoons5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria 91 rooms from £361Sorrento
In a fabulous location on a cliff top overlooking the bay of Naples, this grand hotel offers guests luxury comfort and personalised service. Belle Epoque features as well as modern luxury suites and a romantic restaurant overlooking the water. A fine hotel steeped in history.Sights nearby - Easy access to all the sights of the Amalfi coast, plus Pompeii and other archaeological gemsViews - Stunning views over the Bay of NaplesSwimming Pool - Large white marble outdoor poolSailing - Can be booked nearby.