Search the best hotels in Sorrento
Being described as 'a jewel of the Amalfi Coast' raises expectations somewhat. But this civilised old resort town has carried this accolade for years and is used to it. She perches comfortably on the side of a broad stretch of pine-clad cliff next to the Amalfi Drive. Leaving the honour of keeping lookout across the Bay of Naples to a set of famously luxurious hotels - obviously some of the best places to stay in Sorrento! - from which guests can view Mount Vesuvius, Capri and Naples as they dine on the terraces.
What not to Miss
Warm and colourful, the old city walls enclose a wealth of treasures:
- Sorrento's Duomo is impressive, it has a fresco on the outside, a triple tiered bell tower, elegant but unusual columns and a clock.
- The Chiesa di San Francesco has lovely Arabic influenced architecture and famously lovely cloisters which host a world class program of concerts in the summer.
- The Correale Museum has a rich assortment of arts and crafts, with an especially notable clock collection, embroidery display and Greek and Roman artefacts.
- Sorrento makes a good base for exploring the peninsula, Pompeii and the other nearby archaeological sites, and Capri.
- Beautiful and historic, Sorrento is also a resort town. So there are plenty of local souvenir shops selling the lacework, ceramics and marquetry that people have been bringing back for centuries. There are also mellow, sunlit piazzas to ponder in, bustling markets to nose about in, chic little boutiques to overspend in and a seemingly endless choice of heavenly local eateries.
As you'd imagine the city is hugely popular especially during the peak summer months, so if you want to bag yourself a bed in one of the best places to tay in Sorrento, do yourself a favour and book early! Otherwise, plan your visit for quieter months, when the streets will be less crowded, but the location no less beautiful.
The best places to stay in Sorrento
For the Best Views
- The Villa Eliana is outside Sorrento, but its views of pretty Sorrento and the gulf beyond mean it deserves inclusion. Originally built in the 60s as a private villa for the wife of a Neapolitan ship-builder, the house has fab. retro architecture, modern decor and just six rooms.
For luxury and romance
- If you like the sound of those 'famously luxurious hotels' then book the Bellevue Syrene. Once a private residence, this palace has been romantically refurbished so is now a palace for many. There are rambling terraces with breathtaking views, marble floors, vaulted ceilings, private pools and a private beach… Ideal if you're planning a romantic break.
- The Villa dei D’Armiento is just along the coast from Sorrento, a large white, converted mansion once home to a nobleman. Decorated with flair, these seven rooms are definitely boutique and very chic. There’s a garden with a lovely pool and you’re just a short stroll from the beach.
- The Grand Hotel Cocumella is a chic and charming mid-sized hotel on the outskirts of town. There are spectacular ocean views and the hotel is surrounded by quiet gardens, plus a choice of three restaurants.
- For those who prefer something chic and boutique, one of the best hotels in Sorrento is Masion la Minervetta. With only 12 rooms decorated with a nautical theme, this place is fun, funky, has wonderful views and feels like a home from home. Only 15 minutes walk from the centre of town, it is also perfect if you want to be in the heart of things.
- The Palazzo Marziale is a traditional townhouse with 10 colourfully decorated rooms with a retro but elegantly Italian vibe. Close to local cafes and restaurants, or they have a great cafe in house.
- Maison Tofani has been carefully converted from a splendid 18th century townhouse in the heart of Sorrento and is now a 12 rooms design hotel with a great seafood restaurant.
- Perfect for anyone who can afford it, the beautiful Belle Epoque era Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria has a fabulous spot overlooking the gulf of Naples with a selection of 91 rooms and suites - some of a very generous size - plenty of history and a romantic restaurant.
For the Beach
- The Palazzo Montefusco is a boutique guesthouse in the historic part of Sorrento with five contemporary rooms and a private stretch of beach just for hotel guests!
- The Palazzo Jannuzzi Relais is just a short stroll from the beach on the postcard-perfect Piazza Tasso. There are 12 rooms, decorated in cheery yellow - some with private balconies.
- Veru B&B is a welcoming three room B&B in the centre of town close to the Cross Italia. You have everything you need for a great night’s sleep in these stylish, modern European rooms.
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Naples Airport is Sorrento’s closest, from which there is a good, regular bus service. Alternatively you can catch a taxi down to the hydrofoil port and sail across the bay, or take a taxi all the way. You can also arrive via rail or by water missing Naples out completely if you’re not coming from that direction.
- If you want to hire a car - which we strongly advise if you’re staying in Sorrento and you want to see more of the Amalfi Coast - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Even in wet winter Sorrento still gets eight hours of sunshine a day! That’s what a Mediterranean climate will do for you. Summer is hot and dry and spring and autumn are very pleasant. Summer is peak time for visitors. If you want to swim in the sea try September or October; if you’re just looking for sunshine then May will be beautiful.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Sorrento
Palazzo Spasiano Sorrento (Campania) 3 rooms from £95Exclusive offer - 10% OFF for direct bookingsLocal exploring - Palazzo Spasiano is situated right in the historic heart of Sorrento, so ideally located for exploring on footGroups - With just three rooms, this makes a great choice for groups wishing to book a hotel out in its entiretyBeach nearby - There are a handful of beaches within walking distanceHistoric - A 19th century palazzo restoration
A beautiful 19th century palazzo conversion which contains three stylish B&B rooms. Individually designed with carefully chosen furnishings and luxurious accessories, plus private balconies with lovely views. Breakfast is served at the cafe next door. A chic, romantic B&B in the heart of town. See More
Yacht Club Capo Cervo Suites Sorrento NA, 3 rooms from £104Romantic Break - Indulge in the elegant suites with private patios overlooking the seaLocal exploring - On the harbour of Sorrento, close to the centre of townBeach Life - Situated in the bay of NaplesViews - Across the harbour and out to sea
A fabulous hideout overlooking the Port of Sorrento. Rooms are decorated with antiquities recovered from local shipping fleets, creating an atmosphere of charmingly decorated sea cabins. Romantic views of the coast, a perfect location for those wishing to explore the beautiful sights of Naples. See More
Veru B&B Sorrento 3 rooms from £113Short fly break - Clean, simple, chic and every need catered for - an easy base to drop your bags and enjoy a short breakLocal exploring - At the heart of Sorrento, perfect for discovering the both the beaches and the Sorrentine PeninsulaWatersports - Near to Sorrento's beautiful beachesLocal markets - Close to the Corso Italia and local shopping sites
A welcoming B&B, ideally situated at the centre of Sorrento. Stylish modern European rooms - bright white with splashes of colour and spotless private bathrooms. There are just three rooms at the hotel, making it a haven for a good night's sleep whilst exploring the beautiful city and coast. See More
Palazzo Jannuzzi Relais Sorrento (Amalfi Coast) 12 rooms from £129Local exploring - From trips to Mount Vesuvius to days spent at the beach or exploring the sights of Sorrento, there is plenty to do locallyBeach nearby - Just a five minute walk from the nearest beachViews - Overlooking the Piazza TassoSights nearby - Sorrento Cathedral is 200 metres from the property and Sorrento Port is a 5-minute walk away
Palazzo Marziale Sorrento (Napoli) 10 rooms from £138City Style - A most uniquely designed hotel, you'll feel as though you're walking through the pages of an 'Elle Decor' magazineSailing - Take a boat to the beautiful island of Capri for the daySights nearby - Trips to the archaeological city of Pompeii can be arrangedDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A traditional town house property; the interior displays a candy box coloured design treat. Each of the ten rooms are decorated in a grown-up retro style combined with Italian elegance and antique pieces. Breakfast, cakes & pastries are served daily. Sorrento's popular cafes are walking distance. See More
Relais Correale Rooms & Garden Sorrento 6 rooms from £139Local exploring - Central location at the heart of Sorrento with sights and eateries within walking distanceBeach Life - Just an 11 minute walk from the beachContemporary - Chic modern dècorSights nearby - Just 1 km away you will find boats to the islands of Capri and Ischia
Elegant renovated farmhouse, surrounded by a beautiful garden with olive, orange and lemon trees. Chic modern rooms are bright and airy, embellished with ornate tiles and fabrics. Guests can enjoy a moment of calm on the sun terrace and breakfast is served under a lush traditional arbour. See More
Grand Hotel Ambasciatori 80067 Sorrento NA 103 rooms from £149Romantic Break - This tranquil hotel on the Sorrento cliffside offers breathtaking views of the Bay of Naples, ideal for a romantic getawayHotel boats for hire - Head out on a boat to visit the famous and stunning Ischia island and the Isles of Capri and AnacapriOther Activities - Go on a full-day guided tour to the famous archaeological sites of Pompeii and HerculaneumSights nearby - There are lots of picturesque towns and villages dotted along the famous Amalfi Coast that are well worth exploringRecommended by - Tablet
Stately cliffside hotel with a pool as well as private beach access, and two great restaurants to choose from. Expect shining marble floors, high ceilings and period furniture, while elegant bedrooms have a muted palette of coral, fuschia or blue. An intimate spa and awesome views seal the deal! See More
Villa Manning Relais 80067 Sorrento NA 5 rooms from £151Local exploring - A lovely relaxing base to return to after a day out exploring Sorrento and the coastBeach nearby - Just a short stroll from the nearest beachHotel boats for hire - Take a boat to CapriSights nearby - Wander around Marina Grande and the Basilica of Sant’Antonino; take a day trip to Pompeii
A stuccoed 19th-century villa with a pretty leafy garden and pool. Interiors are elegant featuring fine tiling, craft Italian furniture and artisan ceramics. Rooms are fresh and airy with arched windows and garden views, in a soft palette of blues and whites. Quality old-world sophistication. See More
Villa Dei D'Armiento Sorrento 7 rooms from £158Groups - With nine rooms, which can accommodate up to 18 guests this is ideal for an extended family getaway.Boutique - Expect impossibly chic interiors showcasing the best of Italy's contemporary designSelf catering - This villa is a self catering property, but meals can be provided on requestBeach Life - Just 50m from the beachRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Mr & Mrs Smith
Palazzo Montefusco Sorrento 5 rooms from £170Sights nearby - In the heart of Sorrento's old town, just minutes from the most interesting historical and cultural sitesBeach nearby - Unwind on the hotel's private section of beachHotel boats for hire - Exclusive hire of motor yacht availableLocal markets - Explore the daily local markets
Laqua Sorrento 6 rooms from £173Total relaxation - Tranquil, Feng Shui bedrooms, each with a private plunge pool on the sea view terraceBoutique - Chic boutique interiors offer minimalist design made with natural materialsSpa breaks - Unwind in the state-of-the-art wellness centrePrivate Hot Tub - Private plunge pool area with each room
A wellness hotel on the Amalfi coast with sea views and an elegant spa. The six tranquil bedrooms, designed with relaxation in mind, each have a private plunge pool on the shared outdoor terrace. Relaxed, communal dining and restaurants nearby. A fantastic location to explore the local region. See More
Maison Tofani Sorrento 12 rooms from £173Local exploring - A convenient location, in the historical centre of Sorrento - fantastic for exploring the coast and the Campania RegionElegant - Traditional interiors include high ceilings, frescoes and terracotta tiled floorsWatersports - Find a wide range of watersports at the nearby beachesWine tasting - Sample bottles from the well stocked wine cellar
Maison Tofani has the splendour of an 18th century townhouse, in the heart of Sorrento. Bedrooms incorporate modern furniture and contemporary design with original period features of the building. Dine on fresh local fish in the charming dining room. Excellent location for exploring. See More
Relais Regina Giovanna 80067 Sorrento NA 16 rooms from £179Local exploring - Situated by the lovely town of Sorrento, a great spot from which to explore the rest of the Amalfi CoastBeach Life - With access to a gorgeous private beach descending the cliffside stepsSights nearby - Visit the other charming towns of the Amalfi Coast such as Furore, Amalfi, Positano and PraianoGreat walks - Surrounded by gardens and pretty coastal shrubland ideal for a tranquil evening wander
A fine coastal villa surrounded by gardens and groves of fruit trees, with access to a secluded picture-perfect beach. Expect sophisticated gourmet cuisine and elegant interiors featuring classic pieces and tasteful artwork. The fine rooms are breezy and effortlessly refined. An idyllic gem. See More
Palazzo Abagnale & Tritone Sorrento 14 rooms from £182Local exploring - Perfectly positioned just 30 metres from the main square in Sorrento meaning most attractions are within walking distanceFamilies - With options of triple or quadruple rooms this is a great choice for those travelling with childrenB+B - Buffet breakfast or breakfast in your roomSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Tablet
A designer hotel, this ultra-modern guest house is very close to Sorrento's main square. Chic rooms are decorated in soft hues with large contemporary bathrooms and sink-into beds. Quiet and pretty Mediterranean garden, friendly service, spacious family rooms and a delicious buffet breakfast See More
Anna Belle Elegant Resort 80067 Sorrento NA 262 rooms from £208Local exploring - A luxurious base from which to explore the treasures of the Amalfi coast and the charming town of SorrentoElegant - Elegant interiors feature a contemporary take on classic Italian designViews - Breathtaking views across Sorrento BaySights nearby - As well discovering Sorrento, explore other sea villages like Positano, Amalfi, Praiaino, Conca dei Marini and Ravello
A sumptuous resort with magnificent sea views, set in expansive gardens with a pool. Refined interiors feature elaborate floor tiles, classically elegant furniture and fine Persian rugs. Airy rooms have very tasteful details, with designer furnishings and fine tiling. A sophisticated stay. See More
Maison la Minervetta Sorrento 12 rooms from £243Romantic Break - The Amalfi Coast is the perfect destination for a romantic break and the luxurious rooms make this a special stayLocal exploring - Well located to access both Sorrento old town and it's also just a short boat ride to glamorous CapriDesigner - Chic contemporary interiors feature geometric tiled floors and bright pops of colourViews - Every room boasts fabulous views of Sorrento BayRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Grand Hotel Cocumella Sorrento (Sant'Agnello) 50 rooms from £243Weddings - Huge spaces to host large events like receptions, weddings or concertsTotal relaxation - Comfortable rooms, a pool and a full service spa with massagesRomantic Break - Lovely rooms, exceptional service and wonderful viewsLocal markets - There are lots of places to explore in this area
Hotel Mediterraneo Sorrento (80065 Sant'Agnello NA) 70 rooms from £252Beach Life - With private beach access and numerous other beaches to explore nearby, ideal for a chilled out beach retreatLocal exploring - A great base to just lounge around and relax or for exploring the nearby treasures of the Amalfi CoastSights nearby - Embark on a church tour of all the charming towns on the Amalfi Coast, with detailed tour instructions available at the hotelSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor pool
A lovely cliffside villa with a leafy garden full of tall palms and a pool. Expect fantastic food at the two restaurants, while sophisticated interiors are marble clad with elegant contemporary furniture and fittings. The bright rooms are neat and smart with great sea views. An idyllic coastal base. See More
Villa Oriana Relais Sorrento 6 rooms from £260Romantic Break - A perfect tranquil escape set in a citrus grove overlooking the coast, ideal for a romantic hideawaySights nearby - A short distance from the main port, from which to explore Capri and IschiaQuiet - Away from the hustle and bustle of tourist sitesTraditional - Charming Italian dècorRecommended by - Sawdays
Nestled in lemon and orange groves, minutes from the Sorrento city centre, Villa Oriana Relais offers panoramic views of the gulf and countryside surrounding Sant'Agnello. Rooms are bright, traditionally decorated, with private patios. Total relaxation in a gorgeous family-run hotel. See More
Bellevue Syrene Sorrento 48 rooms from £312Romantic Break - Elegant rooms feature private terraces perfect to enjoy a glass of prosecco with your significant otherFoodies - Dine on local delicacies at the terrace restaurant overlooking the coastBeach Life - Boasting a private beachSights nearby - Very close to Sorrento's old town centre and Versuvius and Capri are nearby
A spectacular Five Star hotel with a wonderful heritage. Once a private residence, then the choice of poets, artists and glitterati, now romantically refurbished and fit for the modern traveller. Utterly romantic - rambling terraces, spectacular rooms, a private beach and wonderful restaurant. See More
Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria Sorrento 91 rooms from £357Romantic Break - With traditionally elegant, luxurious interiors, terraces with views to die for and fab food, it's perfect for romanceFoodies - Dine in the superb restaurant which has been awarded a Michelin starBeach Life - There's a lift to whisk you down to the private beachSights nearby - Easy access to all the sights of the Amalfi coast, plus Pompeii and other archaeological gems
In a fabulous location on a cliff top overlooking the bay of Naples, this grand hotel offers guests luxury comfort and personalised service. Belle Epoque features as well as modern luxury suites and a romantic restaurant overlooking the water. A fine hotel steeped in history. See More