Search the best hotels in Sorrento
Being described as 'a jewel of the Amalfi Coast' raises expectations no doubt, but this civilised old resort town has carried this accolade for years and is used to it. She perches comfortably on the side of a broad stretch of pine-clad cliff, next to the gorgeous Amalfi Drive, and overlooking the Bay of Naples, with Capri, Naples and Mount Vesuvius on show for anyone who turns their head during supper on the terrace of one of the best places to stay in Sorrento. Alright, not all of our recommendations have terrace restaurants overlooking that view — but there’s a list that do — along with hotels with private beaches, intimate gardens, Michelin-starred restaurants, and every luxury. Though we have plenty of great value options to recommend too, and some excellent picks for families, as well as couples seeking romance, and those looking for luxurious retreats.
Some of our Sorrento Collections:
- Best Boutique Hotels in Sorrento
- Best Luxury Hotels in Sorrento
- Best Sea View Hotels in Sorrento
- Best Family Hotels in Sorrento
- Best B&Bs in Sorrento
- Best Sorrento Hotels with a Pool
- Best Honeymoon Hotels in Sorrento
Sorrento is such an old and elegant resort town that it’s also got a beautiful cathedral with a fresco on the exterior, a triple tiered bell tower, elegant colonnades, a fantastic local museum, and a great town clock. So the best places to stay in Sorrento offer quite a lot for visitors to the area looking for more than just the beach, or an enchanting coastline. Sorrento is also a warren of mellow, sunlit piazzas to ponder in, bustling markets to nose about in, chic little boutiques to overspend in and a seemingly endless choice of heavenly local eateries. Out of season, the best places to stay in Sorrento make a picturesque base for visiting the region’s local archaeological treasures at Pompeii and Paestum too.
The Best Places to Stay in Sorrento
For a Special Occasion
- Sorrento is known for its fabulously luxurious hotels, and if that’s what you’re looking for the Bellevue Syrene will likely please. This 48 room villa has been converted from a super luxurious former home, which hosted artists, writers, politicians and stars of all sorts. Now we’re all welcome to enjoy the rambling terraces, huge rooms with incredible ocean views, and private beach. Today there’s also a beauty centre, a club lounge and an impressive restaurant. Ideal if you're planning a romantic break.
- Perfect for anyone who can afford it, the beautiful Belle Epoque era Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria has a fabulous spot overlooking the gulf of Naples with a selection of 91 rooms and suites — some of a very generous size — plenty of history and a romantic restaurant. You enter the hotel just off Sorrento’s main square, so you couldn’t be closer to town, but the hotel gardens spread along the clifftop giving a feeling of privacy to go with the personalised service, and in-room pianos. One of the restaurants has a Michelin star.
For a Romantic Escape
- Masion la Minervetta’s wall-sized windows overlooking the Med are one of this hotel’s showstoppers, but surprisingly it has more, including 12 individually decorated rooms and suites, all created with flair, fun and a nautical colour palette. There’s no restaurant, but they offer an excellent breakfast, in a super chic breakfast room cum sitting room/lounge. Just 15 minutes walk from the centre of town, but still feeling like an escape.
- The Villa Oriana Relais is in a picturesque spot, just outside Sorrento, surrounded by lemon and olive groves, and offering panoramic sea views. The villa itself is angular, with long, white balconies and huge windows overlooking the water. The six rooms and suites are spacious, with tiled floors, white walls, and a simple collection of antiques. There’s no restaurant, but breakfast is served daily, and on the sunny terrace when the weather allows.
- The Grand Hotel Cocumella is a 50 room hotel, just on the outskirts of town, and overlooking the sea and some of Sorrento. The hotel is surrounded by gardens, which is where you’ll find the pool and tennis courts. There’s also a spa and a choice of three restaurants onsite. Expect antiques and luxury.
For a Beach Break
- The Hotel Mediterraneo is a large hotel right on the clifftop, with a private beach just below the hotel. There are 70 rooms and suites, some with mezzanine levels and multiple bedrooms — ideal for families, — plus two restaurants (one by the pool), and a fleet of hotel boats. Expect palm trees, sea views, and a white and blue colour scheme.
- The 12 room Palazzo Jannuzzi Relais is just a short, and pleasant, stroll from the beach on the postcard-perfect Piazza Tasso. The decor is simple, in a colour scheme of white, grey and golden yellow, there’s a good range of room sizes — including some with living space and private balconies. The junior suites are idea for families. There’s no restaurant, but the rooms are above a bar and cafe.
For Sea Views
- Idyllically positioned on a clifftop overlooking the Bay of Naples and the dramatic form of Vesuvius, the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori is one of the largest hotels on our list of recommendations, with 103 rooms and suites. The advantage of size usually comes in the facilities, and that’s definitely the case with the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori, which boasts two excellent restaurants, a large landscaped pool, a treat of a spa, and a stretch of private beach. Expect beautiful, traditional majolica tiles to play a large part in the room decor. Romantic.
- The Anna Belle Elegant Resort is elegant. It’s also luxurious, with magnificent views over the Bay of Naples to Vesuvius, and a beautifully landscaped pool amongst lush gardens — which share the view. It’s also large, with 260+ rooms and suites, carefully decorated with traditional floor tiles and stylishly simple furniture. There’s plenty of room options to suit families of all shapes and sizes, but this can also be a very romantic choice.
For Sorrento Chic
- The Palazzo Marziale is a stylishly converted central Sorrento townhouse, with an elegant peachy facade, and ten individually decorated rooms and suites, featuring vintage-style finds and plenty of Italian chic. Some of the rooms are huge, easily large enough for a family. Breakfasts and snacks are served daily, and you’re with a short stroll of numerous cafes, bars and restaurants.
- Maison Tofani has been carefully converted from a splendid 18th century townhouse in the heart of town. It’s now an elegant, 12 room hotel known for its seafood restaurant, with an impressive menu and beautiful ceiling mural. The rooms and suites are light and spacious, simply decorated with white and blue accents and traditional tiles.
- The Relais Correale Rooms & Garden is a six room hotel, converted from a charming farmhouse just back from the coast, and just outside the centre of Sorrento. Complete with a lush garden that edges into olive groves, and offering sea views, this little property is a great value choice. The rooms are decorated with blue and white tiles, and patterns with a seaside note. Cheerful and chic, and a great place to relax.
For Old Town Sorrento
- The Palazzo Montefusco is a boutique guesthouse in the historic part of Sorrento. Converted from an elegant palazzo, the interiors have a contemporary feel, with white floor tiles, natural shades and square furniture that gives it a modern feel. `Just a few minutes walk from the sea, the palazzo has a private stretch of beach for guests. Some of the suites are large enough for families.
- The Palazzo Abagnale & Tritone is about as centrally located as a hotel can be in Sorrento, positioned just off the main square. Its 14 rooms and suites have a chic feel, with tiled floors, a neutral colour scheme and square, contemporary furnishings. The triple and quadruple rooms are ideal for families. No restaurant, but they offer breakfast, and you are surrounded by stylish places to eat and drink.
- Just outside Sorrento, a safe distance back from the cliffs, and surrounded by lemon and olive groves, the Relais Regina Giovanna is one of our picks for families. This beautiful coastal villa is a good size, with 16 rooms and suites, so it’s an excellent pick for groups too. We like the range of room sizes, the simple but stylish door and the private beach. The restaurant is excellent, and they offer pizza-making classes.
- The Villa Manning Relais is an elegant, 19th century stuccoed villa, with charming Italian decorative details and a pretty leafy garden and pool. With just five well-lit rooms, and a peaceful atmosphere, this is a relaxing place to return to after the bustle of Sorrento and explorations along the Amalfi Coast. Romantic, while also being family friendly.
- Laqua offers the full package when it comes to relaxation. It has just six rooms and suites, all large, light and opening out onto a terrace with a series of ocean-view plunge pools. There’s also an impressive spa and state-of-the-art wellness centre.
For Great Value
- Sorrento isn’t known for reasonable prices, but there are treasures to be found, including the Palazzo Spasiano, a centrally positioned property with just three rooms. All of the rooms are decorated in pale, neutral colours, with large windows and private balconies. Breakfast is served in the cafe next door.
- The Yacht Club Capo Cervo Suites is another great value pick, designed as a sort of shore-leave for yacht owners, there’s no reason you can’t stay here without one! The port-side location is wonderful, and each of the three suites has a private balcony directly overlooking the water. The rooms are simply decorated with antiques recovered from local shipping fleets, so the maritime theme runs throughout. There’s no restaurant, but they serve breakfast daily.
Veru B&B is a welcoming, three room, B&B close to Cross Italia and the Museo Correale, in the centre of Sorrento. Simply decorated, with pale parquet floors, white walls, and feature walls of bright wallpaper, these rooms are stylish and comfortable. There’s a shared sitting room, and guests can have breakfasts served in their rooms, or in a bright breakfast room.
Prefer a Private Apartment or Villa?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Sorrento’s closest international airport is Naples Airport, which is around an hour away by car, or about an hour and a half away away by train. If you’re starting out in Naples, not at the airport, you can catch the Circumvesuviana train, which runs between Naples and Sorrento, and leaves about every 30 minutes, or you can catch a taxi down to the hydrofoil port and sail across the bay. Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci Airport is about three hours drive, or three and a half hours by train.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Even in a wet winter Sorrento gets eight hours a day of sunshine — that’s the Mediterranean climate for you, with hot dry summers and mild winters. The Amalfi Coast tourist season traditionally begins at Easter, and runs through until the first week of November. The warmest summer months are the busiest time for visitors, but it can get really hot, so if you’re not restricted on when you can travel you might want to consider the shoulder seasons of April through mid-June, and September through mid-October. The sea remains warm in autumn, and both spring and autumn are lovely times for exploring the region on foot, or on a boat.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Campania
- Or even one of the best places to stay on the Amalfi Coast
- You could refine your search by hotel type and consider just the best boutique hotels in Sorrento, the best sea view hotels in Sorrento, the best family hotels in Sorrento, or the Best B&Bs
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Sorrento
Best Hotels in Sorrento
Palazzo Spasiano Sorrento (Campania) 3 rooms from £95Local exploring - Palazzo Spasiano is situated right in the historic heart of Sorrento, so ideally located for exploring on footGroups - With just three rooms, this makes a great choice for groups wishing to book a hotel out in its entiretyBeach nearby - There are a handful of beaches within walking distanceHistoric - A 19th century palazzo restoration
A beautiful 19th century palazzo conversion which contains three stylish B&B rooms. Individually designed with carefully chosen furnishings and luxurious accessories, plus private balconies with lovely views. Breakfast is served at the cafe next door. A chic, romantic B&B in the heart of town. See More
Yacht Club Capo Cervo Suites Sorrento NA, 3 rooms from £104Romantic Break - Indulge in the elegant suites with private patios overlooking the seaLocal exploring - On the harbour of Sorrento, close to the centre of townBeach Life - Situated in the bay of NaplesViews - Across the harbour and out to sea
A fabulous hideout overlooking the Port of Sorrento. Rooms are decorated with antiquities recovered from local shipping fleets, creating an atmosphere of charmingly decorated sea cabins. Romantic views of the coast, a perfect location for those wishing to explore the beautiful sights of Naples. See More
Veru B&B Sorrento 3 rooms from £113Short break - Clean, simple, chic and every need catered for - an easy base to drop your bags and enjoy a short breakLocal exploring - At the heart of Sorrento, perfect for discovering the both the beaches and the Sorrentine PeninsulaWatersports - Near to Sorrento's beautiful beachesLocal markets - Close to the Corso Italia and local shopping sites
A welcoming B&B, ideally situated at the centre of Sorrento. Stylish modern European rooms - bright white with splashes of colour and spotless private bathrooms. There are just three rooms at the hotel, making it a haven for a good night's sleep whilst exploring the beautiful city and coast. See More
Palazzo Jannuzzi Relais Sorrento (Amalfi Coast) 12 rooms from £129Local exploring - From trips to Mount Vesuvius to days spent at the beach or exploring the sights of Sorrento, there is plenty to do locallyFamilies - Book the Junior Suite with its spacious living area and private terrace. Ideal for families.Beach nearby - Just a five minute walk from the nearest beachViews - Overlooking the Piazza Tasso
Palazzo Marziale Sorrento (Napoli) 10 rooms from £138City Style - A most uniquely designed hotel, you'll feel as though you're walking through the pages of an 'Elle Decor' magazineSailing - Take a boat to the beautiful island of Capri for the daySights nearby - Trips to the archaeological city of Pompeii can be arrangedDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A traditional town house property; the interior displays a candy box coloured design treat. Each of the ten rooms are decorated in a grown-up retro style combined with Italian elegance and antique pieces. Breakfast, cakes & pastries are served daily. Sorrento's popular cafes are walking distance. See More
Relais Correale Rooms & Garden Sorrento 6 rooms from £139Local exploring - Central location at the heart of Sorrento with sights and eateries within walking distanceBeach Life - Just an 11 minute walk from the beachContemporary - Chic modern dècorSights nearby - Just 1 km away you will find boats to the islands of Capri and Ischia
Elegant renovated farmhouse, surrounded by a beautiful garden with olive, orange and lemon trees. Chic modern rooms are bright and airy, embellished with ornate tiles and fabrics. Guests can enjoy a moment of calm on the sun terrace and breakfast is served under a lush traditional arbour. See More
Grand Hotel Ambasciatori 80067 Sorrento NA 103 rooms from £149Romantic Break - This tranquil hotel on the Sorrento cliffside offers breathtaking views of the Bay of Naples, ideal for a romantic getawayHotel boats for hire - Head out on a boat to visit the famous and stunning Ischia island and the Isles of Capri and AnacapriOther Activities - Go on a full-day guided tour to the famous archaeological sites of Pompeii and HerculaneumSights nearby - There are lots of picturesque towns and villages dotted along the famous Amalfi Coast that are well worth exploringRecommended by - Tablet
Stately cliffside hotel with a pool as well as private beach access, and two great restaurants to choose from. Expect shining marble floors, high ceilings and period furniture, while elegant bedrooms have a muted palette of coral, fuschia or blue. An intimate spa and awesome views seal the deal! See More
Villa Manning Relais 80067 Sorrento NA 5 rooms from £151Local exploring - A lovely relaxing base to return to after a day out exploring Sorrento and the coastBeach nearby - Just a short stroll from the nearest beachHotel boats for hire - Take a boat to CapriSights nearby - Wander around Marina Grande and the Basilica of Sant’Antonino; take a day trip to Pompeii
A stuccoed 19th-century villa with a pretty leafy garden and pool. Interiors are elegant featuring fine tiling, craft Italian furniture and artisan ceramics. Rooms are fresh and airy with arched windows and garden views, in a soft palette of blues and whites. Quality old-world sophistication. See More
Palazzo Montefusco Sorrento 5 rooms from £170Sights nearby - In the heart of Sorrento's old town, just minutes from the most interesting historical and cultural sitesBeach nearby - Unwind on the hotel's private section of beachHotel boats for hire - Exclusive hire of motor yacht availableLocal markets - Explore the daily local markets
Laqua Sorrento 6 rooms from £173Total relaxation - Tranquil, Feng Shui bedrooms, each with a private plunge pool on the sea view terraceBoutique - Chic boutique interiors offer minimalist design made with natural materialsSpa breaks - Unwind in the state-of-the-art wellness centrePrivate Hot Tub - Private plunge pool area with each room
A wellness hotel on the Amalfi coast with sea views and an elegant spa. The six tranquil bedrooms, designed with relaxation in mind, each have a private plunge pool on the shared outdoor terrace. Relaxed, communal dining and restaurants nearby. A fantastic location to explore the local region. See More
Maison Tofani Sorrento 12 rooms from £173Local exploring - A convenient location, in the historical centre of Sorrento - fantastic for exploring the coast and the Campania RegionElegant - Traditional interiors include high ceilings, frescoes and terracotta tiled floorsWatersports - Find a wide range of watersports at the nearby beachesWine tasting - Sample bottles from the well stocked wine cellar
Maison Tofani has the splendour of an 18th century townhouse, in the heart of Sorrento. Bedrooms incorporate modern furniture and contemporary design with original period features of the building. Dine on fresh local fish in the charming dining room. Excellent location for exploring. See More
Villa Oriana Relais Sorrento 6 rooms from £178Romantic Break - A perfect tranquil escape set in a citrus grove overlooking the coast, ideal for a romantic hideawaySights nearby - A short distance from the main port, from which to explore Capri and IschiaQuiet - Away from the hustle and bustle of tourist sitesTraditional - Charming Italian dècorRecommended by - Sawdays
Nestled in lemon and orange groves, minutes from the Sorrento city centre, Villa Oriana Relais offers panoramic views of the gulf and countryside surrounding Sant'Agnello. Rooms are bright, traditionally decorated, with private patios. Total relaxation in a gorgeous family-run hotel. See More
Relais Regina Giovanna 80067 Sorrento NA 16 rooms from £179Local exploring - Situated by the lovely town of Sorrento, a great spot from which to explore the rest of the Amalfi CoastFamilies - With a range of family friendly accommodations plus pizza making lessons and private beachBeach Life - With access to a gorgeous private beach descending the cliffside stepsSights nearby - Visit the other charming towns of the Amalfi Coast such as Furore, Amalfi, Positano and Praiano
A fine coastal villa surrounded by gardens and groves of fruit trees, with access to a secluded picture-perfect beach. Expect sophisticated gourmet cuisine and elegant interiors featuring classic pieces and tasteful artwork. The fine rooms are breezy and effortlessly refined. An idyllic gem. See More
Palazzo Abagnale & Tritone Sorrento 14 rooms from £182Local exploring - Perfectly positioned just 30 metres from the main square in Sorrento meaning most attractions are within walking distanceFamilies - With options of triple or quadruple rooms this is a great choice for those travelling with childrenB+B - Buffet breakfast or breakfast in your roomSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Tablet
A designer hotel, this ultra-modern guest house is very close to Sorrento's main square. Chic rooms are decorated in soft hues with large contemporary bathrooms and sink-into beds. Quiet and pretty Mediterranean garden, friendly service, spacious family rooms and a delicious buffet breakfast See More
Anna Belle Elegant Resort 80067 Sorrento NA 262 rooms from £208Local exploring - A luxurious base from which to explore the treasures of the Amalfi coast and the charming town of SorrentoElegant - Elegant interiors feature a contemporary take on classic Italian designViews - Breathtaking views across Sorrento BaySights nearby - As well discovering Sorrento, explore other sea villages like Positano, Amalfi, Praiaino, Conca dei Marini and Ravello
A sumptuous resort with magnificent sea views, set in expansive gardens with a pool. Refined interiors feature elaborate floor tiles, classically elegant furniture and fine Persian rugs. Airy rooms have very tasteful details, with designer furnishings and fine tiling. A sophisticated stay. See More
Maison la Minervetta Sorrento 12 rooms from £243Romantic Break - The Amalfi Coast is the perfect destination for a romantic break and the luxurious rooms make this a special stayLocal exploring - Well located to access both Sorrento old town and it's also just a short boat ride to glamorous CapriDesigner - Chic contemporary interiors feature geometric tiled floors and bright pops of colourViews - Every room boasts fabulous views of Sorrento BayRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Grand Hotel Cocumella Sorrento (Sant'Agnello) 50 rooms from £243Weddings - Huge spaces to host large events like receptions, weddings or concertsTotal relaxation - Comfortable rooms, a pool and a full service spa with massagesRomantic Break - Lovely rooms, exceptional service and wonderful viewsLocal markets - There are lots of places to explore in this area
Hotel Mediterraneo Sorrento (80065 Sant'Agnello NA) 70 rooms from £252Beach Life - With private beach access and numerous other beaches to explore nearby, ideal for a chilled out beach retreatLocal exploring - A great base to just lounge around and relax or for exploring the nearby treasures of the Amalfi CoastSights nearby - Embark on a church tour of all the charming towns on the Amalfi Coast, with detailed tour instructions available at the hotelSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor pool
A lovely cliffside villa with a leafy garden full of tall palms and a pool. Expect fantastic food at the two restaurants, while sophisticated interiors are marble clad with elegant contemporary furniture and fittings. The bright rooms are neat and smart with great sea views. An idyllic coastal base. See More
Bellevue Syrene Sorrento 48 rooms from £312Romantic Break - Elegant rooms feature private terraces perfect to enjoy a glass of prosecco with your significant otherFoodies - Dine on local delicacies at the terrace restaurant overlooking the coastBeach Life - Boasting a private beachSights nearby - Very close to Sorrento's old town centre and Versuvius and Capri are nearby
A spectacular Five Star hotel with a wonderful heritage. Once a private residence, then the choice of poets, artists and glitterati, now romantically refurbished and fit for the modern traveller. Utterly romantic - rambling terraces, spectacular rooms, a private beach and wonderful restaurant. See More
Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria Sorrento 91 rooms from £357Romantic Break - With traditionally elegant, luxurious interiors, terraces with views to die for and fab food, it's perfect for romanceFoodies - Dine in the superb restaurant which has been awarded a Michelin starBeach Life - There's a lift to whisk you down to the private beachSights nearby - Easy access to all the sights of the Amalfi coast, plus Pompeii and other archaeological gems
In a fabulous location on a cliff top overlooking the bay of Naples, this grand hotel offers guests luxury comfort and personalised service. Belle Epoque features as well as modern luxury suites and a romantic restaurant overlooking the water. A fine hotel steeped in history. See More