Search the best hotels in Taormina
Stunning Taormina is the favourite Sicilian destination for many a traveller. Its spectacular clifftop location, offering views of Mount Etna and a beautiful coastline, and its historic architecture and treasures, saw it added to many an 18th century ‘Grand Tour’, and it’s never lost its appeal, or the whiff of summery glamour. Some of the best places to stay in Taormina have retained the top-end price tag, but the gorgeous converted mansions and palazzos, and grand hotels are really special places to stay. The good news for visitors today is that there are plenty of excellent places to stay in Taormina that don’t come with a hefty room rate, and our Gurus selection of beach resorts, traditional Sicilian hotels, B&Bs and converted villas includes some great value picks.
Taormina’s popularity and upmarket reputation draws a glamorous crowd, and its beautiful streets are lined with elegant boutiques, as well as lively bistros, bars and cafes, and fine dining restaurants. The Corso Umberto I is the medieval main street, and where things warm up of an evening. Just outside town are the spectacular ruins that appealed to the ‘Grand Tourers’, including the impressive ancient amphitheatre.
Taormina’s coastline is another of its appeals, a line of coves, bays and sweeps of sand and shingle, to appeal to all ages! Many of the best places to stay in Taormina have private beaches, so guests can avoid the crowds, but there are plenty of public spaces, and the beaches only get really busy during July and August. The sea is about two kilometres from town, so the best properties also lay on shuttle buses between hotel and beach. Just off the coast is a scattering of pretty, but rocky islands, which adds to the postcard-worthy views, and makes for an interesting day trip out on the water.
The Best Places to Stay in Taormina
For a Special Occasion
- The Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea is a lavish seafront hotel, on a beautifully calm blue bay by the Mazzarò Viewpoint. Its 71 rooms and suites are light, bright and airy, with huge windows and private terraces. The decor is luxurious, but unfussy, and there’s an impressive spa, and an elegant restaurant and bar, both with al fresco seating, and a private beach.
- If that doesn't sound luxurious enough, try The Ashbee Hotel. This beautifully converted grand villa is worthy of any of Taormina’s A-list fans. The Ashbee overlooks the town, and the sea, from a series of terrace gardens complete with palm trees, fountains, statues and an elegant infinity pool. Within the villa are 25 rooms and suites, all large and light, and decorated with contemporary glamour. The most luxurious have whirlpool tubs as well as a terraces. The fine dining restaurant has a Michelin Star and specialises in Mediterranean and Sicilian cuisine.
For The Album
- The Grand Hotel Timeo is incredibly positioned between Taorimina’s historic Greek amphitheatre, and the town itself, so the panoramic views are really something. Add to the location an elegant, villa-style building, with 70 rooms and suites decorated in timeless Sicilian style with beautiful antiques, and you have a really special place to stay. Some of the rooms have stunning views from their private terraces, while the two bedroom suite has its own outdoor hot tub. To share are the impressive spa and restaurant, and the beautiful pool-with-a-view. Plus there's a complimentary shuttle to take you down to the beach, and complimentary boat trips along the coast.
For The Views
- With incredible views of Mount Etna from the pool, and terrace, and bay views from many of the rooms and suites, the Hotel Villa Angela is the perfect pick if you love a panorama. From some places in the hotel you can see Isola Bella. The 23 rooms and suites are decorated with old fashioned glamour in mind: large mirrors, tiled floors and a creamy colour scheme. The central location is ideal for exploring the town.
- The Hotel Villa Ducale is a charming, clifftop villa conversion, with magnificent views of the bay. Most of the 19 rooms and suites have private terraces with fantastic views, but there’s also the pool terrace, a roof terrace, and the dining terrace — which has views of Mount Etna too. The spa doesn’t have a view, but the gardens do. There’s a shuttle down to the hotel’s private beach.
For a Beach Break
- La Plage Resort is a chic beach resort, with a collection of light and spacious rooms, suites and villas, decorated in white, and access to the sea. If you want a private garden or hot tub, that’s possible here, of you can opt for a private terrace or balcony. The Mediterranean restaurant overlooks the water, and spills out onto a sunny terrace, and there’s a chic spa and gym. Stylish, yet still ideal for families.
For an Island Escape
- Taormina is definitely on the beaten track, but the peaceful atmosphere of the Hotel Villa Carlotta lends a feeling of escape and calm. Its location, on the cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean and the Isola Bella, is convenient for all the action, whilst not being in the thick of it, and the gardens that surround the property shield it some more. Each of its 23 stylish rooms and suites has a private terrace, and individual decoration, and the feeling is very much of being house guests for a very, very lucky host. The restaurant, lounge and pool terrace are fabulous, and while it’s a definitely a romantic pick, the Hotel Villa Carlotta is also a great choice for families.
- Converted from a 17th century villa, the Hotel Metropole is now an elegant five star hotel, with sea views, a gourmet restaurant, and crisply chic contemporary Italian design. The hotel has just 23 rooms and suites, offering a range of shapes sizes and facilities — our favourites are the rooms with private terraces. The hotel is conveniently located in the centre of Taormina, and they have a shuttle service to the hotels’s private beach.
- The Casa Turchetti is a much smaller offering, with just six rooms, converted from a beautiful, 19th century residence. The decor is very Sicilian, with exposed stone walls, and beautifully tiled floors, and the furnishings are all period too. The most romantic suite has a four-poster bed and a private balcony. The roof terrace is a wonderful place to relax with a drink of an evening, and while there’s no restaurant, the hotel does offer breakfast, and you’re close to a slew of excellent eateries.
- Taodomus is an intimate hotel in the old heart of Taormina, with just ten simple rooms, featuring hand-painted details, on a simple canvas of whitewash and tiles. The best rooms have private balconies with sea views. The breakfast terrace has a sea view too.
For a Private apartment or private villa
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Sicily has four airports, with Catania Airport, the closest to Taormina, about 45minutes drive, or about an hour and a half away by train. Palermo Airport is on the other side of the island, about three hours away by car, or six by public transport.
- If you want to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Sicily, unlike some Italian destinations, remains open all year round. That doesn’t mean it’s equally nice all year round, it’s definitely chilly in winter. If you come between November and February expect the daylight hours to impact opening hours too. Spring, or March through June, really, is one of our favourite times to visit Sicily, because the weather is sunny and mild, and the festival and events calendar is packed with activity leading up to Easter. July and August are properly hot, and the Mediterranean beaches and beach resorts are busy, and can be expensive, but the visitors tail off in September, though the sea is still warm and pleasant. October is a good pick if you’re planning to visit the museums and palaces, and admire the architecture, and our Gurus recommend September and October, and April and May, as the best times to visit for walkers.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Sicily
- Refine your search by the type of holiday you’re planning and focus on the best beach hotels on Sicily, our Gurus’ collection of Sicily’s great rural hotels or Sicily's best wine hotels
- You could also drill down by location, and focus on the best hotels near Mount Etna or the best hotels near Agrigento
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Taormina
Best Hotels in Taormina
Hotel Villa Ducale Taormina 19 rooms from £155Luxury - Traditional luxury including frescoed walls, brightly painted walls, trailing roses, hot tubs.Romantic Break - Hotel Villa Ducale is the most romantic hotel in Taormina.Views - The terraces offer sensational bay views.Restaurant - Light lunches and candlelit dinners on the terrace. Traditional and delicious Sicilian cuisine.
Hotel Villa Ducale is a romantic boutique hotel full of character and charm with jaw-dropping sea views. Rooms and suites are decorated with exquisite Italian style, some come with private terrace. There's a lovely garden with pool, and a stunning roof terrace. The perfect choice for a honeymoon. See More
Hotel Villa Carlotta Taormina 23 rooms from £259Sights nearby - Only five minutes walk to the historical centre of TaorminaViews - Fabulous views of the sea and Mount EtnaRestaurant - Traditional Italian and Sicilian cuisineLocal markets - Good for local colour.
A beautiful luxury hotel on the cliff tops over the Ionian sea. Sumptuous rooms, suites and apartments most with private terraces. Rooms have stone floors, delicate watercolours and rich fabrics. Fantastic restaurant and pool. Utterly romantic, but still very accommodating for families or groups. See More
Hotel Villa Angela Taormina 23 rooms from £104Views - Amazing views of the Ionian Sea and Mount EtnaRomantic BreakSights nearby - Located near the old centre of TaorminaRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
La Plage Resort Taormina (Isola Bella) 61 rooms from £210Beach Life - The name says it all. A chic resort set on a beautiful stretch of beach.Great walks - Take long walks along the coast through the picturesque and rugged countryside.Sights nearby - Discover the ancient ruins of Taormina.Romantic - Good for couples.
Taodomus Taormina (Sicily) 10 rooms from £192Local exploring - Located in the centre of the town, this hotel is a perfect base to start your local exploring in TaorminaCity Style - With pretty, hand-crafted soft furnishings and sea views, this hotel has lots of small town styleRomantic Break - Couples will love the romantic roof terrace, where a delicious breakfast is served every morningSights nearby - Visit the nearby Cathedral of Taormina, a medieval Catholic church with a grand arched interior and elaborate statuary
This intimate hotel is located in the centre of Taormina, Sicily. Rooms are individually styled, with hand-painted headboards and carefully selected design pieces; the best rooms offer a private balcony with sea views. Enjoy breakfast on the charming roof terrace with panoramic views. A cosy B&B. See More
Casa Turchetti Taormina (Sicily) 6 rooms from £226Romantic Break - Couples love the hotel's period feel and the huge, sink-in beds. The roof terrace is a great feature for a romantic getawayHoneymoons - Book the hotel's Junior Suite for a honeymoon with added luxury, and enjoy a pretty view from your private balconyLocal exploring - Located in the heart of the picturesque Sicilian town Taormina, this hotel is a great base for local exploringGreat walks - Wander the picturesque streets of Taormina; make sure you see the idyllic Corso Umberto in the centre of townRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
This charming hotel is housed in a 19th-century residence in Taormina, Sicily. Rooms boast traditional Sicilian design with tiled floors, intricate linens and period furnishings; the best suite offers a four-poster bed and private balcony. Enjoy panoramic views from the roof terrace; a classic stay. See More
Castello di San Marco Taormina (Calatabiano) 30 rooms from £250Total relaxation - With a spa, beach and restaurant all on-site, this hotel promises guests total relaxation during their stayLocal exploring - The hotel is perfectly located for exploring the idyllic Sicilian town Taormina, a short drive awayBeach Life - Located on its own private beach, this hotel is the perfect destination for a relaxing beach breakSights nearby - Visit Teatro Antico di Taormina, a short drive from the hotel. The site comprises an ancient Greek theatre with coastal viewsRecommended by - Tablet, Great Small Hotels
This four-star baroque hotel sits on its own private beach in Sicily. Rooms are bright and spacious, with luxurious linens and heritage features; the best suites offer ample living space and a private terrace. Book in for a treatment at the exclusive spa before dining at the restaurant. A chic stay. See More
Grand Hotel Timeo Taormina 70 rooms from £277Views - Outstanding views across the sea and to Mount EtnaLuxuryRemote - Off the beaten track.Romantic BreakRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Metropole, Taormina Taormina 23 rooms from £305Foodies - Michelin starred restaurant.Views - Outstanding panoramic views5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller, Kiwi Collection
The Ashbee Hotel Taormina 25 rooms from £364Views - Fabulous views up the coastHoneymoonsRomantic BreakRestaurant - Fine dining restaurant specialising in Mediterranean and Sicilian foodRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Spectacular grand villa with views to match. Sumptuous, elegant rooms and suites that ooze refined glamour. Floor to ceiling windows, parquet floors, designer furniture, rich wallpapers, whirlpool tubs. Film star terraces, excellent restaurant and swimming pool. Indulgent romance. See More
Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea Taormina (Sicily) 71 rooms from £1029Beach Life - Sitting on the beautiful Sicilian coast with a private stretch of beach, this hotel is perfect for lazy seaside holidayTotal relaxation - With an on-site spa, restaurant and bar, you can let go of the reins for total relaxation hereRomantic Break - Couples will swoon at the suites with pretty balconies and sea viewsSurfing - Try paddle surfing on your holiday, a favourite pastime among locals. Book through the hotel
This lavish seafront hotel is located on the beautiful Sicilian coast. Rooms are bright and airy with touches of colour in the unfussy soft furnishings; the best suites offer a private terrace with breathtaking sea views. Enjoy a luxury spa treatment before an al fresco dinner. A stand-out resort. See More