- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Wine hotels in Sicily
Nominally part of Italy, Sicily likes to think of itself as a place apart. And it is, both geographically and culturally. The largest island in the Mediterranean, it has been invaded and ruled by numerous foreign powers, from the Arabs to the Spanish. So it’s not surprising that its food and wine sets it apart from mainland Italy. It has long been known for its sweet wines such as Malvasia and Marsala. But these days quality table wines, such as those produced by Planeta and Franchetti, are gaining followers. The sweet wines are largely produced in the west while the mountain slopes and coastal plains of the east - particularly Mount Etna and around Siracusa and Noto - produce notable DOCs. Our selection of the best wine hotels in Sicily covers both areas.
Wine hotels in Sicily for foodies
- In the heart of the famous, family-run Planeta vineyards near Menfi, La Foresteria Planeta is, arguably, one of Sicily's prime wine hotels. Colourful, individually decorated rooms mix contemporary and period pieces; each has a private terrace. With authentic Sicilian cuisine - lessons from the chef for the keen! - an infinity pool and sea views, this is near-perfect.
- The big draw at Torre Marabino, a working farm near Modica, is the wine cellar; a vast, vaulted space where you can taste your way to heaven. There’s a beautiful restaurant, excellent Sicilian menus and just seven airy rooms furnished with elegant simplicity.
- Also near Modica, is the gracious 18th-century country house, Tenuta Cammarana, owned and run by a Sicilian aristocratic family. They have a passion for both local food and wine, so you can expect fabulous gastronomic experiences. With just three rooms - some with stone vaulted ceilings - filled with antiques, staying here feels like you’re a family friend rather than a paying guest.
Wine hotels in Sicily for those on a budget
- With gracious, traditionally furnished rooms - terracotta floors, carved wooden headboards - Hotel Villa Palocla, near Sciacca, is an excellent choice for families or groups of friends. There’s a beautiful, relaxing garden and knock-out infinity pool, too.
- And if you want to get away from it all, Masseria degli Ulivi, tucked into the hillsides above Noto and surrounded by olive groves, guarantees peace yet is only 20 minutes from the coast. Bedrooms are simple, cool and serene - several family rooms - and there’s a beautiful infinity pool and open-sided dining room.
Wine hotels in Sicily - in towns
- In the heart of Palermo you’ll find ll Giardino di Ballaro, an 18th-century townhouse now a quirky B&B. Five spacious and contemporary rooms surround a courtyard, each decorated with style and panache; perhaps a vintage radio, bright modern art or boldly coloured headboard. Breakfast al fresco in the courtyard under the shade of the citrus trees.
- Also within Palermo, Principe de Villafranca is a stylish, boutique hotel with parquet floors, cool white rooms and modern art. There’s a vast sitting-room-cum library and a very chic, double-height dining room. It’s close to many bars so you can pick up tips on your wine-tasting.
- On Sicily’s east coast, in Catania, Hotel Liberty is a gem of an Art Nouveau townhouse with lofty rooms, stone balconies and gracious furnishings. There’s also a very pretty courtyard for breakfasts.
Wine hotels in Sicily for design lovers
- With white-on-white bedrooms, glass-walled bathrooms and pared-down furnishings, Zash Country Boutique Hotel is a minimalists’ joy. And it’s all set within a traditional, ochre-coloured country house. Outside, there’s a shimmering infinity pool, beautiful, yet simple, gardens and views of Mount Etna.
- If you want to be a little closer to the volcano, Monaci delle Terre Nere is perched on its slopes. The deep pink villa looks deceptively traditional as you approach, yet, inside, stone walls, wooden beams and bare plaster mix with shiny glass, bright art works and bold contemporary lighting. Rooms are scattered throughout the grounds in converted farm buildings as well as some new-builds. Lie by the pool and gaze up at Mount Etna, or at the vineyards fanning out below you to the coast.
Sicily’s consistent sunshine and moderate and reliable rainfall create near-perfect conditions for vine-growing. These are also near-perfect weather conditions for holidaying, so touring these wine hotels of Sicily takes on an extra pleasure. For a further choice of properties, look at our full list of places to stay in Sicily. Or for further inspiration for wine hotels check out our ultimate guide to Italy's best.
La Foresteria Planeta Estate 14 rooms from $297Menfi, Sicily
Luxury wine resort in south west Sicily. Nestled amongst the vineyards, rooms are individually decorated with period pieces, all have private terraces and wonderful sea views. Authentic Sicilian cuisine and cookery lessons for the very keen! A family friendly, foodie haven, close to the beach.Cooking classes - Chef Angelo Pumilia teaches authentic Sicilian cooking in the hotel's spacious kitchenWine tasting - Have a guided wine tourGreat walks - Walk the vineyards and olive groves that surround La ForesteriaFull of character
Torre Marabino 7 rooms from $176Modica
A lovely working farmhouse with its own wine barrels and an excellent restaurant. Rustic rooms with wooden beams, white washed walls, exposed stone and simple furniture. Lovely gardens and pool. A romantic and gourmet spot.FoodiesSights nearby - Explore the Unesco Baroque towns of Noto and Modica, plus much moreSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Tenuta Cammarana 3 rooms from $189Modica (Sicily)
18th century country house which has been in this aristocratic family for generations, as has their good taste. Food is the star of the show: rustic Italian flavours paired with local wine. Rooms are filled with light and colour despite exposed stone ceilings. Enjoy the gardens and tennis courts!Sights nearby - The archaeological and UNESCO sites of Ragusa Ibla, Modica, Agrigento, SiracusaGreat walks - The scenic walking routes of the Sicilian countryside are on your doorstep.Restrictions on children - Children above the age of twelve welcome.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays, Tablet
Hotel Villa Palocla 8 rooms from $91Nr Sciacca, Sicily
A great value four star hotel with a gorgeous pool and restaurant. The Baroque building has traditional rooms (singles, doubles, triples, quadruples) with pastel walls, antique beds, and stone floors. An excellent choice for families and groups who want to explore the surrounding area.GroupsValue chicFamiliesViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - CN Traveller
Masseria degli Ulivi 34 rooms from $126Noto
A serene hillside hotel surrounded by olive groves in a remote setting above Noto. Bedrooms (plus some triples and quadruples) are perfect for families and groups, all decorated with contemporary elegance. Fabulous infinity pool and excellent restaurant. Close to beaches and sights nearby.Sights nearby - Palazzolo Acreide and the delights of the World Heritage Site NotoBirdwatching - Wetlands around Vendicari.Remote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - I Escape
B&B Il Giardino di Ballaro 5 rooms from $91Palermo (75/77)
Charming, characterful, colourful boutique B&B in the heart of historical Palmero. Rooms with quirky art and furnishings, air conditioning and direct access to lovely outdoor courtyard. Traditional Sicilian breakfast available. Child friendly and great value.Sights nearby - Moment from cathedral, Cappella Palatina, Tower of San NicolòLocal markets - Close to BallaròGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Principe di villafranca 32 rooms from $125Palermo
Boutique hotel in the heart of Palermo, a short walk from the Politeama and Massimo theatres. Rooms have antique furnishings, marble floors, and vaulted ceilings giving an authentic, luxurious feel. A cozy Sicilian restaurant at the hotel and many bars on nearby streets. Ideal for work or pleasure.Great walks - Walk the city from Via Maqueda and Corso Vittorio EmanuelSights nearby - Explore 16th-century catacombsLocal markets - Explore Ballarò MarketRecommended by - Fodors
Hotel Liberty 17 rooms from $99Catania, Sicily
An elegant Art Nouveau townhouse on the eastern coast of Sicily in the historic town of Catania. Sophisticated rooms and suites with all the mod cons, private balconies, and muted tones. Meeting rooms, conference facilities, lovely courtyard, and excellent buffet breakfasts. Ideal for a stop off.Sights nearby - The Roman Amphitheatre, Baroque style buildings.Great walks - Good for walkers.Diving - Good diving nearby.Traditional
Zash Country Boutique Hotel 9 rooms from $169Archi, Sicily
Minimalist and design fans will simply love this property. Blending old and new, nature and decor this property immerses its guests in the local surroundings. Glass walls, exposed stonework and in room jacuzzis. Sample the best in Sicilian cuisine in the sun filled gardens, A photographers dream!Sights nearby - Make a day trip to the ominous Mount Etna.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.OpulentFull of character
Monaci Delle Terre Nere 19 rooms from $160Zafferana Etnea, Sicily
Wonderfully chic retreat on the slopes of Mount Etna. Rooms and suites blend contemporary design with original elements; glass walls and parquet floors complement stone walls and wooden beams. Cinema, games room, tennis, an excellent restaurant. Very romantic, gourmet and family friendly.FoodiesWellbeingHoneymoonsActive HolidayRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, CN Traveller