Search the best hotels in Champasak
Close to southern Laos’ borders with Thailand and Cambodia, Champasak Province is a unique agricultural region with a rich history. Set on the western bank of the mighty Mekong River, this was once one of Laos’ key centres of power. Now, life is far quieter, but fascinating relics of a dazzling ancient past remain, and natural beauty abounds. A destination for those looking to venture far beyond the beaten path, Champasak offers a small selection of very special accommodation options. Chosen for their style, unique location and amenities, our pick of the best places to stay in Champasak are a brilliant starting point for planning your trip.
Named for the ancient capital of the Kingdom of Champasak, this is also a fantastic region for heritage enthusiasts. Take scenic strolls to admire the faded grandeur of the French-era homes which sit alongside impressive Laotian stilted homes in Pakse, the region’s main city. Just beyond the city are the curious ruins of Wat Phou, a UNESCO-listed site originally built to honour the Hindu god Shiva and now hidden in the jungles of Phu Kou. The town of Champasak itself is also fascinating.
Immerse yourself in the area’s natural wonders with a Mekong River cruise, perhaps including a visit to the otherworldly 4,000 Islands — Si Phan Don in Lao language. Secluded and unspoilt, this is a wonderful area for reflective kayaking excursions, wildlife encounters and waterfall hikes. Slightly upriver, our Gurus’ pick of the best places to stay in Champasak is tucked on a tiny island, perfect for unwinding in absolute bliss.
The Best Places to Stay in Champasak
For a Tranquil Hideaway
- La Folie Lodge is made up of 26 stilted bungalows, dotted around a refreshing swimming pool and featuring traditional interiors with Laotian textiles and lots of polished wood. Savour Western and Laotian dishes in the restaurant after bird watching, cycling and kayaking excursions. A tranquil retreat on Don Daeng island.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or villa we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Pakse International Airport, just 50 minutes from Champasak town by road. Most international flights will require a change at a larger international hub, such as Vientiane, or Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang. Once in Pakse, hop in a taxi, take a bus or speak to your hotel to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- If you are confident driving in Asia and would like the flexibility of your own transport, contact our partner Rentalcars to hire a car.
- The weather in Champasak is warm and humid throughout the year, with temperatures hovering around 26 - 30°C. Travel between December and March for slightly cooler climes, although this is also the rainy season.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Expand your search to see the best places to stay in Vientiane.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in Laos.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Champasak
Best Hotels in Champasak
La Folie Lodge BP 668 Pakse, Champasak 26 rooms from £42Hideaway - A tranquil island hideaway, perfect for couples, friends or families dreaming of a nature-focused escapeValue chic - An affordable hotel with 26 rooms featuring simple, characterful interiors in a striking settingBirdwatching - Spot some of the island's 39 resident bird species on a guided nature tourCycling - Hop on the hotel's bicycles and use well-written maps to explore the areaRecommended by - I Escape
Set on a remote island on the banks of the Mekong river La Folie Lodge houses 26 stilted bungalows surrounding a large, sparkling pool. The rooms are simply decorated with wooden floors and Laotian textiles. Western and Asian dishes can be enjoyed overlooking the waters. Experience the island life. See More
Residence Bassac Champasak 14 rooms from £60Romantic Break - A chic little boutique pad with stacks of character and romantic four poster beds in rooms with private terracesGreat walks - Take a long-tailed boat across to Don Daeng Island for leisurely walks, cycles and dips with marvellous viewsSights nearby - Visit awe-striking Wat Phou, a UNESCO-listed Heritage Site to truly appreciate Laos' rich historyValue chic - A reasonably priced spot offering a warm welcome, heaps of style and a great riverside location
A gorgeous little hotel with 14 individually designed rooms set amidst flowering frangipani on the banks of the Mekong. Spot flitting birds from your private terrace, or retreat to rooms with four-poster beds, beamed ceilings & hardwood floors. Bathrooms with bright, joyful tiles are lovely. Ideal. See More
The River Resort Pakse, Champasak 28 rooms from £94Back to Nature - A restful retreat overlooking the river, set in 4 hectares of verdant parkland — this is one for nature loversActive Holiday - Active travellers will love cycling, kayaking & river boat trips, as well as swimming in the two poolsCycling - Cycle through the resort's parkland, into Champasak or around Don Daeng Island on the hotel's bicyclesHotel boats for hire - Hop aboard the hotel's riverboat for morning or evening cruises on the tranquil Mekong River
A tranquil haven in remote Champasak Province with spacious, airy rooms on the Mekong River. Expect spectacular views & a verdant parkland setting perfect for cycling & bird-spotting in an area rich in natural beauty. Slick, modern lines & understated design make this an unusual rural retreat. See More