Ho Chi Minh City
Search the best hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
About Ho Chi Minh City
It wasn’t long ago that Ho Chi Minh City was Saigon, capital of the Republic of Vietnam, and much of the buzz and freshness of this city today stems from the dramatic changes that took place here in the 70s. Commerce is a busy, whirling king here, but the city’s cultural side, which embraces the past with vitality while propelling life forward, is a very powerful queen. The best places to stay in Ho Chi Minh City tend to reflect this idea of the value of local culture and you’ll find fantastic fusions of old and new, French colonial and modern Vietnamese everywhere. There's a wide range of properties to suit all tastes and budgets too, from affordable but chic guesthouses and hotels to art deco Grand Dames and big chain names.
Where to Stay - Which Neighbourhood?
Ho Chi Minh City is divided into 24 districts, and we’re pretty sure there’s accommodation options in each one. But there are only a few districts which are really fantastic for travellers with no local connections. This is in part due to Ho Chi Minh City’s crazy traffic conditions, and a public transport system that you can’t get the hang of immediately.
- District 1 is the centre of the city, established as the centre by the French Governors in the mid 19th century, and decked out beautifully with elegant French-style architecture along tree-lined boulevards. District 1 is also where you’ll find several of Ho Chi Minh City’s most impressive sights, including the Reunification Palace, the Ho Chi Minh Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, Saigon Opera House, Giac Lam Pagoda and Central Post Office. District 1 has multiple marketplaces, but the Bến Thành Market deserves special mention. Obviously the food is one of the reasons to visit Ho Chi Minh City and this is where to see it and taste it. This is also probably the city’s hub of restaurants generally.
- Pham Ngu Lao is the part of District 1 where you’ll find the real nightlife, in amongst the bars, street food stalls and budget accommodation. This is also the part of town to come to if you want a cheap spa treatment or a manicure.
- Dong Khoi Street is the main street through the city, lined with international brands, and local ones, and a super central place for many of Ho Chi Minh City’s most historic attractions.
- District 2 is on the other side of the Saigon River. Up until fairly recently it was one of the poorest parts of Ho Chi Minh City, but over the last few decades it’s been developed, and now you’ll find some of the most exclusive places to stay in Ho Chi Minh City in District 2. There are plenty of shops and restaurants here too.
- District 3 is behind District 1, another elegant area with a number of beautiful temples hidden in amongst the colonial buildings, and some great restaurants and places to shop too.
- District 4 is below District 1, a sort of island between the Ben Nghe River, the Te Channel and the Saigon River. This is a more Vietnamese feeling area, with less of the French colonial influence on display, and definitely one of the best places to stay in Ho Chi Minh City if you’re looking for old Vietnam. With its seemingly endless supply of street food and small, independent restaurants, District 4 is also one of the best places to stay in Ho Chi Minh City for foodies.
- If you head away from the Saigon River in District 4 you’ll hit District 5, which shares District 4’s lack of colonial architecture, and, with its huge Chinatown, with its charming temples and pagodas, lively markets, shops and little restaurants, this part of town feels much more like other parts of Asia. Chợ Bình Tây Market is the largest in the country and takes centre stage in District 5. It’s an incredible place to visit - it’s hard to think of something not for sale here!
This city is a bustling capital year round, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Ho Chi Minh City we recommend you book well ahead to avoid disappointment.
The Best Places to Stay in Ho Chi Minh City
For a city break
- It’s a big name and a big hotel, but the Sheraton Saigon is smart, chic and in a great location in District 1, close to the river. There are almost 500 rooms, with all the mod. cons., plus eight options when it comes to drinking and dining. The views from the rooftop bar are incredible, and it has an excellent spa.
- The Hotel des Arts is new, with a swanky vibe, and 168 white on white rooms and suites, with elegantly curving furnishings and windows, hardwood flooring, panelled walls and ceilings and impressive claw-footed bathtubs. The rooftop bar is unmissable, and there’s an infinity pool on the roof too.
- The Intercontinental Asiana Saigon is a slick, five star hotel in the centre of town close to the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Bến Thành Market. There are more then 300 rooms and decadent suites, with hardwood floors and rather chic-chi decor. The other highlights include a rooftop pool, luxurious spa and a gourmet restaurant.
- If you want to be in the centre of town, the Sofitel Saigon Plaza is a big, big name, hotel with panoramic city views, a rooftop pool and spa and a great French restaurant. Perfect for a short city break.
For Historic Saigon
- The Hotel Majestic Saigon is an Art Deco masterpiece of columns, arches, pillars and chandeliers, dating from 1925. The location is superb, in District 1 directly overlooking the river, as is the decor. There’s also a choice of rooftop bars and an excellent Vietnamese restaurant.
For a Riverside Hotel
- The Villa Song is a charming boutique hotel on the Saigon River in District 2 — with a complimentary boat shuttle to run you across the river into District 1. The interiors feature a classical combination of dark wood and white linens and walls adorned with original artwork. The neighbourhood is trendy, with numerous cafes, galleries and riverside restaurants.
- A large and contemporary high-rise just minutes from Bến Thành, Le Meridian Saigon is a great city break hotel, but the incredible river views are such a highlight that we have to include it here. The decor feels sleek and polished, with modern shapes and a funky twist on colours, and you can choose rooms with either river or city views. There’s also a space age spa and funky bar.
- An Lam Saigon River is a beautiful boutique hotel by lush gardens right on the Saigon river. There are just 19 carefully designed suites and villas with contemporary furnishings and Vietnamese touches, the best with private plunge pools. Chic and peaceful with a delicious French Vietnamese fusion menu. This one's further out of town - it's a twenty minute boat ride from the city centre.
- The Park Hyatt Saigon is an elegant, traditional feeling hotel with a beautiful, white Art Deco/ French colonial facade and 245 impeccably decorated rooms and suites. The location is super central and its Lam Son bar is one of the most popular in Hi Chi Minh City.
- The Reverie Saigon is bold and grand, a high-rise in the centre of town that’s lit dramatically at night like something from Bladerunner. There are 286 rooms and suites, which range from grand to opulent, decorated by top Italian designers, with the option of a private butler if you need one. There’s a choice of Italian and Asian fine dining and numerous bars too.
For great value
- Slightly out of the way, the The Alcove Library Hotel is an elegant French colonial boutique hotel with decor that directs you towards their excellent, and extensive, library. The location is green and leafy and great for strolling.
- Ma Maison is a quaint, 70 year old French villa lovingly converted into an eight room hotel. This is a calm oasis in a busy city. But it manages it by being a bit out of the way, which is why it’s such good value.
Prefer an Apartment or Villa?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Ho Chi Minh City Airport, is the busiest airport in Vietnam. You can fly there direct from several international cities, including London, Paris, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo and Dubai. There are regular buses into town from the airport, plus several taxi queues. The green Man Linh and Vinasun taxi are the official ones to queue for and definitely the ones to opt for.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- Tropical Ho Chi Minh City has two distinct seasons, and while the climate is generally mild, and the region isn’t known for excessive weather conditions, most visitors will find the dry season more pleasant. This runs between December and April. December is coolest and most humid and by April it’s hot and dry. The rest of the year is wetter, but it’s not really monsoonal weather, and showers pass quickly and make way for sunshine.
Still not sure which to book?
Expand your search to include our pick of the best hotels in Hanoi
Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
The Alcove Library Hotel Ho Chi Minh City (Phu Nhuan District) 26 rooms from £50Value chic - A charming and polished hotel, in a lovely green neighbourhood- and totally affordable!Great walks - Slightly off centre, this area is great for walking around and exploring without the huge bustling crowds.Full of characterTraditional
An elegant boutique hotel, slightly off the beaten track. The decor focusses around their extensive library, with flashes of colonial French accents. Comfortable and stylish rooms with classic and fresh look. An unusual and pleasing find. The Bookmark restaurant is popular amongst guests. See More
Ma Maison Ho Chi Minh City (District 3) 8 rooms from £47Hideaway - This quaint and charming Provencal guest house is slightly off the beaten track so you won't be swarmed with other tourists.Value chic - Picturesque, chic and run with real passion, this is a total steal for the price.Local markets - Explore the area around the hotel and get lost in the rabbit warren of banh mi stalls, tailors and food kiosks.Sights nearby - Check out the Independence Palace, just a ten minute drive away.Recommended by - I Escape
A quaint 70 year old French villa where charming rooms have been lovingly decorated to reflect Provencal life. Think pastel yellow exteriors with white shutters and wrought iron balconies. Enjoy Vietnamese and European breakfast at a rustic wooden table. An oasis of calm in a bustling city. See More
Le Meridien Saigon Ho Chi Minh City (Bến Nghé) 343 rooms from £128Great walks - Have a walk around Saigon Zoo and Botanical Gardens, with many lovely plants, flowers, and trees, a temple, and a museum.Sights nearby - There are many notable Pagodas and Temples including the Quoc Tu Pagoda, the Giac Lam Pagoda and Jade Emperor Pagoda.Swimming Pool - Indoor saltwater pool.Lively - Hip and happening.
Hotel Majestic Saigon Ho Chi Minh City (Bến Nghé) 175 rooms from £104Great walks - Take a stroll arounf the Reunification Palace, soak up its history and enjoy the beautifully landscaped grounds.Local markets - Get your bargaining hat on and head out to the iconic Ben Thanh Market, just 15 minutes away.Sights nearby - Notre Dame Cathedral and the French colonial postoffice are well worth a visit.Cooking classes - One meal at the hotel will inspire you to sign up for the cooking classes!Recommended by - I Escape
In prime location since 1925, the Hotel Majestic is an art deco masterpiece of columns, arches, chandeliers and stained glass domes. Its rooftop bars and Vietnamese restaurants offer spectacular views of the Saigon River. Undoubtedly the heart of the pulsating city centre. See More
Hotel Des Arts Ho Chi Minh City (76-78 Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai) 168 rooms from £108Sights nearby - The Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica is just a short stroll away and is surrounded by other charming French Colonial buildings.Swimming Pool - Rooftop infinty pool.Full of characterDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
InterContinental Asiana Saigon Ho Chi Minh City (Bến Nghé Quận 1) 305 rooms from £139Local markets - The iconic Ben Thanh Market, is within walking distance of the hotel.Sights nearby - just down the road is the famed Notre Dame Cathedral.Lively - Hip and happening.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Slick 5-star hotel located in downtown Ho Chi Minh City, near Notre Dame Cathedral and Ben Thanh Market. Spacious and decadent suites feature hardwood floors, bathroom chandeliers and private dining. Rooftop pool, luxury spa and gourmet dining options complete the package. See More
Sofitel Saigon Plaza Ho Chi Minh City (17 Lê Duẩn) 286 rooms from £142Local exploring - District One has plenty to see and do, head out and explore this vibrant city.Sights nearby - A ten minute walk from the beautiful Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica.Swimming Pool - Outdoor year round pool.Lively - Hip and happening.
Sheraton Saigon Ho Chi Minh City 485 rooms from £149Local exploring - Centrally located for exploring this exciting city!Local markets - Explore Cholon, Vietnam's largest Chinatown with roots dating back to 1778.Sights nearby - Just down the road from the Notre Dame Cathedral.Swimming Pool - Outdoor year round.
Villa Song Ho Chi Minh City (Thảo Điền) 23 rooms from £137Local exploring - Rent a 'two-wheeler' and explore the city like a local.Local markets - Wander the streets of Ben Thanh Market, haggle, explore and discover the wonders of street food.Great walks - Sign up for Sophie’s Art Tours and explore the museums and galleries of Saigon.Sights nearby - Visit the Reunification Palace, a historic site from the American War.
Park Hyatt Saigon Ho Chi Minh City (District 1) 245 rooms from £175Sights nearby - Notre Dame Cathedral, Central Post Office and the Reunification Palace are all within walking distance.Local markets - Check out Ben Thanh Market, where you will find everything from silk scarves to antique furnishings.Swimming Pool - 20m outdoor pool.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Brilliant 5-star hotel slap bang in the middle of downtown Saigon. A modern hotel its decor follows a French Colonial style. Undoubtedly home to one of the city’s best bars, Lam Son - it’s packed at the weekends, get there early! Rooms are decorated in muted tones some with separate living areas. See More
The Reverie Saigon Ho Chi Minh City (District 1) 286 rooms from £202City Style - Elaborate and eye grabbing interiors by top Italian designers, Italian and Asian fine dining and the best vibe in town.Sights nearby - Within walking distance of French colonial Opera House, the neo-classical Post Office, the historic Reunification Palace.Local markets - Just a 15 minute walk to the hustle and bustle of Bến Thành Market.Swimming Pool - Outdoor Pool
An Lam Saigon River Ho Chi Minh City (Vinh Phu Ward) 15 rooms from £207Cooking classes - Cooking classes with the incredibly talented in house chefs, plus market tours with your private butler.Fishing - Your butler will organise and accompany you on a fishing trip up the river.Local markets - The staff can arrange tours of the floating markets of the Mekong Delta.Secluded setting - Outside the hustle a bustle of Ho Chi Minh City.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape