Search the best hotels in Oudtshoorn
A quaint 18th-century town, located between the Swartberg mountains to the north and the Outeniqua Mountains to the south, Oudtshoorn is famed as being 'the ostrich capital of the world'. Meaning 'our pride' in Xhosa, Oudtshoorn was once the epicentre of the 19th-century's ostrich feather craze. No self-respecting lady of the age would have been seen out in public without a plume or three adorning her head. Though fashions may have changed, Oudtshoorn is still known for its ostriches, now something as a tourist attraction, as well as being commercially farmed. Our pick of the best places to stay in Oudtshoorn showcase the best in heritage and character-filled hotels.
A perfect base for exploring the Garden Route, as well as the Little and Great Karoo beyond, Oudtshoorn is a very civilised base from which to embark on a truly wild experience. With the gracious homes of these former ostrich barons still intact, along with other architectural pointers to Oudtshoorn’s former wealth (such as the CP Nel Museum, formerly a school), the town remains proud of its heritage and is now a prosperous tourist centre of the Little Karoo. With the archaeologically impressive Cango Caves and the much-loved Cango Wildlife Ranch on your doorstep, there are plenty of 'must-do' experiences, right on your doorstep.
What not to miss:
- Take a tour of some of the grandiose homes of Oudtshoorn’s 'feather barons', including what is now, the CP Nel Museum.
- Cango Wildlife Ranch, a conservation park offering animal petting, is loved by all ages.
- Scramble your way through the Cango Caves, a 20-million-year-old network of limestone chambers.
- Visit one of the town ostrich breeding farms, the Safari Show Farm and the Highgate Ostrich Show Farm, being two of the most popular.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Oudtshoorn provides a wide range of charming, boutique hotels in this quirky, rural locale.
The Best Places to stay in Oudtshoorn
For a boutique stay
- Idiosyncratic owner-managed hotel, Riverside Guest Lodge, features six uniquely decorated rooms.
- One of a kind, modern art-house stay, The Bright House Villa provides a colourful stay within easy reach of town.
For total relaxation
- Rosenhof Country House provides a refined and colonial setting to explore the surrounding countryside.
- Stay on this historic ostrich farm, now in the fourth generation of the same family, guests of De Denne Country House can look forward to an utterly indulgent stay.
For a great value stay
- A well-priced guest house, experience a stay at a traditional Cape Dutch style home at De Avond Rust.
- Heritage stay, right on Oudtshoorn's high street, Queen's Hotel is excellent value.
For a historic stay
- Dating back to the 19th-century, La Plume Guest House was once the home of a prominent ostrich farmer and boasts interiors filled with antiques and heritage pieces.
For a countryside stay
- A stay on a working olive farm, Surval Boutique Olive Estate, is a truly peaceful abode, with excellent locally sourced dining.
- Surrounded by beautiful gardens and natural wildlife, Berluda Farmhouse & Cottages offers a great escape amidst nature.
- Utterly charming, working farm, De Kombuys Estate is located in the midst of the Swartberg Mountain Range. Diners will love the on-site Marbled Wagyu restaurant serving a range of home-grown, home-cooked produce.
For the perfect family stay
- With easy reach of the Klein Karoo and its bounty of wildlife opportunities and outdoor activities, Hlangana Lodge is much loved by families.
- With on-site cycling, kayaking, a kids club, and so much more, children will love De Zeekoe Guest Farm. Owners Paula & Boetie opened their working farm to the public some 15-years ago, and have been charming visitors with their organic home-grown produce and delicious meals ever since!
• If you want to rent self-drive to explore the scenic Garden Route, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- For the best weather aim to visit between November and February, where temperatures are usually in the high 20°Cs. Between May and September see the coldest weather, though temperatures seldom drop below double figures.
Still not sure?
• Take a look at our top recommendations for The Garden Route.
• Or contact one of our gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Oudtshoorn
De Avond Rust Oudtshoorn 5 rooms from £37
Charming traditional Cape Dutch style house, dating back to 1927. Featuring suite and cottage accommodation (perfect for families) it is walking distance from the little town of Oudtshoorn. Rooms are filled with antiques and there's an inviting garden restaurant, Casa Del Sole.Value chic - An excellent value, traditional style staySights nearby - Safari Ostrich Show Farm is just 6km awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolTraditional
Queen's Hotel Oudtshoorn 40 rooms from £39
A heritage stay, amidst the historic town of Oudtshoorn - walking distance from its attractions and eateries. Filled with period features, rooms are simple, yet the perfect base for exploring the area. Dine at your choice of restaurants: The Colony, Café Brûlé, and The Breakfast Room. Lovely pool.Local exploring - A perfect, good value base for you to explore the historic town of OudtshoornSights nearby - Meerkat Magic is a fun visit for all agesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolTraditional
AfriCamps Klein Karoo Oudtshoorn (Oudtshoorn,) 12 rooms from £47
The perfect family stay. Located on a working ostrich farm this collection of 12 tents is surrounded by the Karoo, several waterbodies, and wandering game: a true 'Out of Africa' experience. Excellent value these self-catering tents (breakfast is available) offer a comfortable camping experience.Families - Located on a working ostrich farm with horses and plenty of outdoor pursuits - a perfect family stayValue chic - Excellent value family staySights nearby - A tour of the Cango CavesViews - Great views from hotel
De Zeekoe Guest Farm Oudtshoorn 21 rooms from £63
Owners Paula & Boetie opened their farm to guests some 15-years ago, and have been charming visitors with their organic homegrown produce and delicious meals since then. Despite having grown in size, they still offer the same personable stay. Luxurious room, plenty of activities. A wonderful stay.Families - Cycling, kayaking, a kids club, and so much more: children will love!Active Holiday - With so much on offer you'll have to schedule in time for relaxationSights nearby - The Safari Ostrich Show Farm is right next door, and a must visit!Kayaking - Available to rent at the hotel
Riverside Guest Lodge Oudtshoorn 6 rooms from £70
Classically decorated rooms provide a luxurious base amidst acres of pristine farmland. Boasting a spa, suites and family cottages, beautiful gardens, and panoramic views, it is a great stay for all ages. A hearty breakfast is served in the morning - a great way to set you up for a day's exploring!Families - With so many outdoor and wildlife activities, families will love this country lodgeSights nearby - Meerkat Magic is just 2km away and fun for all the familyKayaking - On the Grobbelaars RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
La Plume Boutique Guest House Oudtshoorn (Volmoed,) 18 rooms from £89
Dating back to the 1900s every room is piled-high with antiques, from silverware to china-filled dressers. Rooms are decorated with polished pine and terracotta tiles and include rolltop baths and rolling views. The restaurant serves locally sourced South African and French cuisine. An idyllic stay.Romantic Break - Boasts lavish rooms, capacious baths, and an indulgent spaSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolTraditionalRomantic - Good for couples.
De Denne Country House Oudtshoorn 13 rooms from £92
Managed by the fourth-generation of the Keller family to live on this century-old working ostrich farm, guests of De Denne Country House are treated to an authentic African experience. Luxurious rooms with stunning views and large bathrooms make for a comfortable stay, as does an inviting pool.Country Escape - Live life in the slow lane in this rural country houseGreat walks - There are acres of trails to be explored right from your front doorSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
The Bright House Villa Oudtshoorn 3 rooms from £101
Decorated in vibrant colours, juxtaposed with industrial exposed brick and polished concrete. A unique property, this double aspect villa with floor to ceiling windows is filled with artwork and antiques and offers a stylish stay. Enjoy a meal at Jemima's restaurant and a swim in the outdoor pool.Local exploring - Stylish interiors in the heart of OudtshoornCooking classes - The owner's started the popular Jemima's restaurant - cooking classes are available to bookSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Adult only
De Kombuys Estate Oudtshoorn 3 rooms from £103
Utterly charming, rustic-chic cottages located on a working farm in the midst of the Swartberg Mountain Range. This Cape Dutch-style estate gives guests a glimpse into a traditional way of life. Diners will love the on-site Marbled Wagyu restaurant serving a range of home-grown, home-cooked produce.Country Escape - Rustic cottages located on a working farm: rural bliss!Families - A great family stay on a working farmGreat walks - Nestled amidst the Swartberg Mountain Range, there are miles and miles of walking pathsSights nearby - The Cango Caves are just 4km away
Surval Boutique Olive Estate Oudtshoorn 31 rooms from £112
A delightful country stay boasting 31 rooms decorated in a contemporary stay with farmland views. The dining is superb. Choose from locally sourced, seasonal food. A proper breakfast spread sets you up for a day's spent exploring outdoors. All this plus a spa, pool, and children's activities.Country Escape - Superb dining in a picturesque country settingSights nearby - Just over 3 km away, the nearby Ostrich Farm is a must visitSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Rosenhof Country House Oudtshoorn 14 rooms from £197
Picturesque, white-panelled, colonial style house, set amidst acres of manicured gardens. Rooms are heavenly and range from one-bedroom suites to three-bedroom villas. An air of decorum is maintained throughout the hotel, where an excellent wine list and gourmet cuisine is served. A top choice.Romantic Break - Luxurious suites, fine dining, beautiful gardens, and indulgent spa treatments - what more could you want?Great walks - The Swartberg Mountains have over 27kms worth of trails to be exploredSights nearby - Explore Africa's largest network of caves, The Cango CavesRestrictions on children - Chlidren above the age of 12 are welcome
Wildehondekloof Private Game Reserve Oudtshoorn 9 rooms from £214
This privately owned game reserve provides adults-only accommodation in the heart of the Swartberg Mountains. Bright and contemporary rooms look out across rolling hills and a sparkling pool. Enjoy campfires by the evening and spot grazing kudu in the morning. A buffet breakfast is served.Total relaxation - A private game reserve for grown-ups only, offers total relaxationSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Adults onlySpa