I love your site btw! Alex Slater.
Search the best hotels in Swellendam
A much-loved spot within South Africa's Winelands, Swellendam is a great place for history, food, and wine lovers. Nestled at the foothills of the Langeberg Mountains and surrounded by the Grootvadersbosch Nature Reserve, Swellendam is a picture-perfect country escape. Our collection of the best places to stay in Swellendam provides something for families, couples, foodies, as well as excellent value B&Bs.
Known for its New World wines, it is a perfect spot for exploring the Little Karoo and a great stopover for those travelling further east along the Cape, to The Garden Route. With some of the finest examples of classic Cape Dutch architecture, notably the Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk and JVDS House, be sure to also pay a visit to the Drostdy Museum and The Old Gaol.
What not to miss
- Canter your way through the beautiful Langeberg Mountain range with Two Feathers Horse Trails - available for all level of riders.
- Explore Bontebok National Park by 4x4 home to the formerly endangered bontebok and Cape mountain zebra, as well as over 200 species of bird.
- There's no Swellendam wine route as such, but Joubert-Tradauw and Zandvliet are two of its most popular vineyards.
- Unwind with a scenic sundowner cruise along the Buffelsjags Dam.
- The Lavender Farm and The Berry Farm, provide guests with the opportunity to get their hands dirty, including both lavender and berry picking. You can pick up some handmade products in the gift shop afterwards.
- Held every February, Up The Creek Music Festival is a local favourite for live music and dancing along the Breede River.
Our collection of the best places to stay in Swellendam showcase the top picks in this idyllic rural retreat.
The Best Places to stay in Swellendam
For a great value stay
- A collection of cottages, A Hilltop Country Retreat is a characterful stay, with exposed brick and beams, at a great price.
- A traditional stay, The Old Thatch Lodge provides intimate living with just five-bedrooms at a very inviting price tag.
For a family stay
- Self-catering accommodation, surrounded by rolling countryside, Hermitage Huisies is a great family stay.
- All the family are welcome at Moolmanshof B&B, even the dog!
For all-out luxury
- One of the Western Cape's most popular hotels, Babylonstoren is known for its seasonal dining and a superb spa. A once in a lifetime experience.
- Quaint brookie-lace building, Schoone Oordt Country House provides award-winning dining at The Conservatory.
For total relaxation
- With a superb spa and fine dining, Swellendam Country Lodge is where guests come to completely unwind.
- Locally sourced cuisine and manicured grounds, De Kloof Luxury Estate Hotel and Spa is a blissful stay, with spa treatments to boot.
For a boutique stay
- Intimate accommodation at Aan de Oever Guest House makes it a great place for those looking for an authentic Winelands stay.
- The best of boutique, Augusta De Mist Country House's rooms are each individually decorated. Over 12's only means it's a very grown-up stay.
- If you want to rent self-drive to explore the Western Cape's Winelands, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Cape Town International Airport is a 50-minute drive - taxis can be booked easily.
- Swellendam enjoys a Mediterranean climate, hottest between December and January when temperatures reach the low thirties, and at its coolest dropping to 15°C - 20°C, its mountains occasionally witnessing a covering of snowfall in the winter.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Swellendam
A Hilltop Country Retreat Swellendam 8 rooms from £45
A quaint collection of cottages set within the bucolic Swellendam countryside. Choose from family suites to two bedroom cottages. Flexible, self-catering accommodation provides excellent value. Inside rustic-luxury interiors add a splash of style in the form of exposed brick and open fires.Families - Family cottages and a long list of activitiesValue chic - Excellent value stylish accommodationFishing - In The Bontebok National ParkSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
The Old Thatch Lodge Swellendam 5 rooms from £45
A charming 19th-century country house, complete with thatched roof, provides an excellent value stay within easy reach of historic Swellendam and all its nearby activities. Each of its rooms provides luxurious rustic accommodation, some with small kitchens. There's a spa, sauna, and pool.Value chic - Excellent value rustic stayFishing - Fishing in Bontebok National ParkSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSpa
Hermitage Huisies Swellendam (Hermitage,) 5 rooms from £48
Nestled amidst the Hermitage Valley, at the foot of the Langeberg Mountains, just 2km’s outside of Swellendam this charming cottage accommodation provides a well-priced family stay. Each of its five cottages offer cosy self-catering accommodation, with picnic areas and braais. A charming stay.Value chic - Excellent value accommodation in a beautiful settingFamilies - Family cottages surrounded by beautiful countrysideSights nearby - Lunch at the Old Goal, just 2km awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Moolmanshof B&B Swellendam 3 rooms from £57
Dating back to 1798 this Cape Dutch farmhouse, located at the foot of the Langeberg Mountains includes a saltwater swimming pool, manicured gardens and your choice of B&B and self-catering options. Excellent value, plenty of family accommodation and outdoor activities; it's great for all ages.Families - Bring the kids and the dogs - excellent value for the whole familyFishing - Fishing within Bontebok National Park, just 5km awaySights nearby - An art lover's utopia: Kunste HuijsKayaking - On the Buffelsjags Dam
Schoone Oordt Country House Swellendam 10 rooms from £83
A Victorian house well-known in the area for its beauty and history; Schoone Oordt Country House provides dreamlike accommodation in a village location. Superb dining in The Conservatory restaurant is an experience in itself. Wander through the rose garden or enjoy a treatment in-room. Divine.Foodies - One for the gourmand: the kitchen team rustles up works of art with Swellendam's local fairRomantic Break - Beautiful Victorian accommodation, claw-foot tubs, fine dining, and spa treatmentsGreat walks - The hotel is surrounded by woodland with beautiful walking trailsSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - I Escape
Aan de Oever Guest House Swellendam 16 rooms from £86
Historic Cape Dutch-style farmhouse, located at the foothills of the Langeberg Mountains. There are plenty of outdoor activities available: horse riding, kayaking, walks, and cycling, as well as a bounty of ways to relax. Antique filled rooms include original features and roll top baths.Families - Excellent family accommodation in a beautiful countryside settingKayaking - On the Koorlands RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
Swellendam Country Lodge Swellendam 6 rooms from £89
Luxurious country lodge at the foothills of the Langeberg Mountains yet within walking distance of nearby restaurants. Large rooms open up onto private terraces or enjoy mountain views. There's a sparkling pool, massage facilities, plus an indulgent English breakfast is served each morning.Total relaxation - Charming country lodge boasting beautiful grounds, an inviting pool, and spa treatmentsFishing - Fishing in Bontebok National Park which is just 2 km awayGreat walks - Through the Marloth Nature Reserve, just 2kms awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Augusta de Mist Country House Swellendam 7 rooms from £90
Set within two hectares of rugged fynbos and manicured gardens this 19th-century former farmhouse provides a tranquil stay amidst the historic village of Swellendam. Rooms are filled with antiques and original features including exposed beams and terracotta tiles. Locally sourced cuisine is served.Country Escape - A quaint heritage country house located in the tranquil Swellendam ValleyGreat walks - Bontebok National Park, only 7 km from SwellendamRestrictions on children - Childrn above the age of 12 welcomeSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
De Kloof Luxury Estate Hotel and Spa Swellendam 10 rooms from £103
Dating back to 1801, this former working farm is ensconced by the majestic Langeberg Mountains. Boasting a spa and traditionally decorated room, filled with antiques and objets d'art. Relax by the pool, on your private terrace or in the spa. Excellent locally sourced cuisine.Total relaxation - Beautiful landscaped gardens boasting a spa and fine diningSights nearby - Swellendam Golf Course is just 1km awayGreat walks - Located amidst Bontebok National ParkFishing - In the nearby Marloth Nature Reserve
Jan Harmsgat Country House Swellendam 10 rooms from £132
An 18th-century traditional style thatched Cape-Dutch country house provides an authentically bucolic stay amidst charming Swellendam. It's exposed beam rooms include wrought iron beds, patchwork quilts and roll top baths. Dine on farm-fresh dishes: their pecan pie is as good as it gets!Romantic Break - Picturesque location, plus exquisite rooms with roll-top bathsGreat walks - Through pecan nut and olive grovesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character