Search the best hotels in Swellendam
A much-loved spot within South Africa's Winelands, Swellendam is a great place for history (it's South Africa's third oldest city), food, and wine lovers. Nestled at the foothills of the Langeberg Mountains and surrounded by the Grootvadersbosch Nature Reserve, Swellendam is a picture-perfect country escape. Our collection of the best places to stay in Swellendam provides something for families, couples, foodies, as well as excellent value B&Bs.
Known for its New World wines, it is also a perfect spot for exploring the Little Karoo and a great stopover for those travelling further east along the Cape, to The Garden Route. With some of the finest examples of classic Cape Dutch architecture, notably the Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk and JVDS House, be sure to pay a visit to the Drostdy Museum and The Old Gaol.
It's a lively little place, with plenty going on from vineyard tastings, to the annual Up The Creek Music Festival, held every February and showcasing live music and dancing alongside the Breede River.
Our collection of the best places to stay in Swellendam showcase the top picks in this idyllic rural retreat, whether you're here for the wines or for a slice of Western Cape culture.
The Best Places to stay in Swellendam
For a great value stay
- A collection of cottages on the outskirts of town, A Hilltop Country Retreat is a characterful stay, with exposed brick and beams, and interior furnishings and details that have mainly been created by local artisans. There's a charming garden with small pool and it's superb value for money.
- A traditional stay in the Cape Dutch style, The Old Thatch Lodge provides intimate living with just five-bedrooms at a very inviting price tag.
- Just outside Swellendam in the foothills of the Langeberg Mountains, and surrounded by rolling countryside, Hermitage Huisies is perfect for a family stay. This self catering accommodation comprises four well equipped cottages which are simple yet stylish. There's a great kids play area with trampoline and treehouse, plus the all important pool for cooling off!
- All the family are welcome at Moolmanshof B&B, even the dog! There's a range of either B&B or self catering accommodation, all smartly done, plus you'll find a spacious garden with pool that's open year round.
- Quaint brookie-lace building, Schoone Oordt Country House provides award-winning dining at The Conservatory Restaurant. The accommodation's pretty nice too, with sumptuous rooms and suites all set in lovely gardens with an outdoor pool.
For total relaxation
- Locally sourced cuisine and manicured grounds, De Kloof Luxury Estate Hotel and Spa is a blissful stay, with spa treatments to boot.
For a boutique stay
- With just six stylish guest rooms, set amid beautifully landscaped gardens (with a pool) Swellendam Country Lodge is where guests come to completely unwind. Great location next door to two excellent restaurants.
- Intimate accommodation at Aan de Oever Guest House makes it a great place for those looking for an authentic Winelands stay.
- The best of boutique, Augusta De Mist Country House's rooms are each individually decorated. Over 12's only means it's a very grown-up stay.
For a self-catering villa or apartment
- Prefer the thought of a self-catering apartment or villa? Our online partner, booking.com has a good range to suit all budgets.
- If you want to rent self-drive to explore the Western Cape's Winelands, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Cape Town International Airport is a 50-minute drive - taxis can be booked easily.
- Swellendam enjoys a Mediterranean climate, hottest between December and January when temperatures reach the low thirties, and at its coolest dropping to 15°C - 20°C, its mountains occasionally witnessing a covering of snowfall in the winter.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in nearby Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, and the Western Cape.
- Or contact one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Swellendam
Best Hotels in Swellendam
A Hilltop Country Retreat Swellendam 8 rooms from £45Families - Family cottages and a long list of activitiesValue chic - Excellent value stylish accommodationFishing - In The Bontebok National ParkSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A quaint collection of cottages set within the bucolic Swellendam countryside. Choose from family suites to two bedroom cottages. Flexible, self-catering accommodation provides excellent value. Inside rustic-luxury interiors add a splash of style in the form of exposed brick and open fires. See More
The Old Thatch Lodge Swellendam 5 rooms from £45Value chic - Excellent value rustic stayFishing - Fishing in Bontebok National ParkSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSpa
A charming 19th-century country house, complete with thatched roof, provides an excellent value stay within easy reach of historic Swellendam and all its nearby activities. Each of its rooms provides luxurious rustic accommodation, some with small kitchens. There's a spa, sauna, and pool. See More
Hermitage Huisies Swellendam (Hermitage,) 5 rooms from £48Value chic - Excellent value accommodation in a beautiful settingFamilies - Family cottages surrounded by beautiful countrysideSights nearby - Lunch at the Old Goal, just 2km awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Nestled amidst the Hermitage Valley, at the foot of the Langeberg Mountains, just 2km’s outside of Swellendam this charming cottage accommodation provides a well-priced family stay. Each of its five cottages offer cosy self-catering accommodation, with picnic areas and braais. A charming stay. See More
Moolmanshof B&B Swellendam 3 rooms from £57Families - Bring the kids and the dogs - excellent value for the whole familyFishing - Fishing within Bontebok National Park, just 5km awaySights nearby - An art lover's utopia: Kunste HuijsKayaking - On the Buffelsjags Dam
Dating back to 1798 this Cape Dutch farmhouse, located at the foot of the Langeberg Mountains includes a saltwater swimming pool, manicured gardens and your choice of B&B and self-catering options. Excellent value, plenty of family accommodation and outdoor activities; it's great for all ages. See More
Schoone Oordt Country House Swellendam 10 rooms from £83Foodies - One for the gourmand: the kitchen team rustles up works of art with Swellendam's local fareRomantic Break - Beautiful Victorian accommodation, claw-foot tubs, fine dining, and spa treatmentsGreat walks - The hotel is surrounded by woodland with beautiful walking trailsSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - I Escape
A Victorian house well-known in the area for its beauty and history; Schoone Oordt Country House provides dreamlike accommodation in a village location. Superb dining in The Conservatory restaurant is an experience in itself. Wander through the rose garden or enjoy a treatment in-room. Divine. See More
Aan de Oever Guest House Swellendam 16 rooms from £86Families - Excellent family accommodation in a beautiful countryside settingKayaking - On the Koorlands RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
Historic Cape Dutch-style farmhouse, located at the foothills of the Langeberg Mountains. There are plenty of outdoor activities available: horse riding, kayaking, walks, and cycling, as well as a bounty of ways to relax. Antique filled rooms include original features and roll top baths. See More
Swellendam Country Lodge Swellendam 6 rooms from £89Total relaxation - Charming country lodge boasting beautiful grounds, an inviting pool, and spa treatmentsFishing - Fishing in Bontebok National Park which is just 2 km awayGreat walks - Through the Marloth Nature Reserve, just 2kms awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Luxurious country lodge at the foothills of the Langeberg Mountains yet within walking distance of nearby restaurants. Large rooms open up onto private terraces or enjoy mountain views. There's a sparkling pool, massage facilities, plus an indulgent English breakfast is served each morning. See More
Augusta de Mist Country House Swellendam 7 rooms from £90Country Escape - A quaint heritage country house located in the tranquil Swellendam ValleyGreat walks - Bontebok National Park, only 7 km from SwellendamRestrictions on children - Childrn above the age of 12 welcomeSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Set within two hectares of rugged fynbos and manicured gardens this 19th-century former farmhouse provides a tranquil stay amidst the historic village of Swellendam. Rooms are filled with antiques and original features including exposed beams and terracotta tiles. Locally sourced cuisine is served. See More
De Kloof Luxury Estate Hotel and Spa Swellendam 10 rooms from £103Total relaxation - Beautiful landscaped gardens boasting a spa and fine diningSights nearby - Swellendam Golf Course is just 1km awayGreat walks - Located amidst Bontebok National ParkFishing - In the nearby Marloth Nature Reserve
Dating back to 1801, this former working farm is ensconced by the majestic Langeberg Mountains. Boasting a spa and traditionally decorated room, filled with antiques and objets d'art. Relax by the pool, on your private terrace or in the spa. Excellent locally sourced cuisine. See More
Bloom Estate Swellendam 7 rooms from £115Local exploring - Relaxing, yet perfectly located for exploring the historic town of SwellendamFishing - The Breede River is a popular spot amongst local fishermenKayaking - Kayaking or river rafting along the Breede RiverRestrictions on children - Children above the age of seven are welcome
Modern interiors housed in a period country property. Set amidst acres of manicured grounds each of its seven rooms includes colourful decor, contemporary bathrooms, private terraces, and Nespresso machines. There's a spa, an inviting pool, excellent dining and plenty of outdoor activities. See More