Search the best hotels in Southampton
This is where the Titanic set sail from and it’s still a big port and useful transport hub - connected to lots of other European destinations. So for many people finding the best places to stay in Southampton is about finding a great place for a few nights on their way somewhere else.
But there’s quite a lot to do here. As well as being just across the Solent from the Isle of Wight and just to the side of the beautiful and peaceful New Forest, Southampton has Roman ruins, the remains of a defensive wall dating from the Middle Ages, several listed parks and numerous art galleries and museums - several of them historic or maritime in flavour.
What not to miss:
- Get out of the city and take long walks through the picturesque New Forest.
- Discover Southampton's Roman ruins.
- Visit the fascinating SeaCity Museum which includes exhibits on Southampton's most famous boat, the Titanic.
- Visit the pretty Tudor House and Gardens dating back to the 1400s.
So don't discount this city...it might be worth booking several nights in one of our Guru recommended best places to stay in Southampton!
For a boutique stay
The Pig In The Wall is a boutique, but traditional in style, hotel in the centre of town, with 12 generous sized rooms, luxurious bathrooms and fantastic breakfasts.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly directly to the small Southampton International Airport or for a wide choice of connections fly into the London airports (Heathrow or Gatwick). Numerous trains run directly from Southampton to London.
- Southampton is a year round destination with each season offering its own charm. However, for the best chance at warm bright days plan your trip in the summer months (June - August).
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Browse though our list of all the best places to stay in Southampton.
Alternatively widen the net and check out all our favourite places to stay in Hampshire.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Southampton
Best Hotels in Southampton
The Pig In The Wall Southampton 12 rooms from £130Exclusive offer - Complimentary upgradeLocal exploring - Set in the heart of the historic city giving easy access to its main attractionsCoastal - HMS Titanic set sail from the harbourChic - Shabby chic style with wooden floorsRetro/Vintage - Vintage touches in all the roomsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Southampton Harbour Hotel Southampton 85 rooms from £125Spa - Featuring hydrotherapy pool, sauna, steam room, mud rasul and state-of-the-art gym. Plus a wide range of ESPA treatmentsSailing - Take a trip on a sailing boat out to sea.Swimming Pool - Indoor heated pool and hydrotherapy poolSights nearby - Pay a visit to Southampton Guildhall.
From the right angle, Southampton Harbour Hotel could easily be a super yacht in the marina. Swish and sleek, its luxurious rooms offer fantastic views out over the harbour. The hotel bar is a great place to start the evening off and in the restaurant you will find delicious seasonal dishes. See More
The White Star Tavern Southampton 13 rooms from £135Local exploring - Perfectly located in the centre of the city, ideal for reaching all the main attractions.Sights nearby - Visit the restored 14th century Tudor House and Garden.Full of characterTraditional
A smart tavern located in the heart of the city and just a short walk from the harbour. The rooms are chic and contemporary with soft grey hues, simple furnishings and plenty of light. A lively restaurant and bar serves up pub classics alongside a choice selection of real ales. See More
Ennios Southampton 10 rooms from £139Foodies - Come for a touch of authentic Italian fare with a wine list to match.Great walks - Take a stroll through the Sir Harold Hillier Gardens.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyBoutique
An excellent Italian restaurant complete with a handful of chic rooms located on the harbour. Stylish rooms are all different, but all feature crisp white linen, plenty of light and simple contemporary furniture. The restaurant serves authentic fare and is worthy of a visit alone. See More