Search the best hotels in Arizona
The stuff of childhood dreams, Arizona’s spectacular landscapes have a unique place in our collective vision of the ‘Wild West’: vast deserts, monumental rock formations and strange giant cacti. A hugely popular destination, Arizona boasts a wide range of accommodation options suitable for a whole host of budgets. With everything from low-key hacienda-style inns to luxurious spa resorts — not to mention superb ranches for adrenaline-fuelled explorations — our pick of the best places to stay in Arizona promises memorable experiences for the whole family.
There’s far more, of course, to Arizona than the striking red rocks which dominate postcards and posters. Phoenix, the state capital, is reputedly one of the USA’s most fashionable and fastest-growing cities. Base yourself in this desert metropolis for a lively foodie and cultural scene, as well as easy access to the natural wonders beyond. Nearby Scottsdale, which is much smaller, is abuzz with trendy eateries, galleries, golf courses and lively nightlife. This is a smart, sociable spot, suitable for the well-heeled traveller.
A hundred miles north of Phoenix is laid-back Prescott, surrounded by forests, lakes, mountains and rivers – all awaiting discovery. A excellent base for keen adventurers, Prescott is also home to some great museums, a Victorian old town, and historic saloons aplenty – perfect for an evening drink after a day’s hiking or fishing.
Slightly closer to the Grand Canyon sits Sedona, famed for the red rock formations which surround it. Fantastically popular with outdoor explorers, Sedona is also well-known for its hippy vibe and spiritual connections which draw upon Native American traditions. As well as lovely traditional inns, there are some striking spa hotels here, with a real focus on healing and unity with nature.
Desert-bound Tucson, on the other hand, lies to the south of Arizona, ringed by the imposing Catalina Mountains. Another haven for lovers of the great outdoors, this is also a town steeped in history and culture. Visitors will find plentiful evidence of its Mexican past, including some terrific Mexican food – and the mountains and Saguaro National Park offer activities aplenty.
With everything from hiking to horse riding, hot air balloon rides to off-road adventures, Arizona is brimming with things to keep active visitors entertained. Native American traditions and spiritual harmony with the natural landscape feature heavily, too, especially in secluded spa hotels. Whether you’re eager to stargaze in luxurious bliss or to have the whole family helping out on the ranch, the best places to stay in Arizona promise brilliant opportunities to experience this awesome state.
The Best Places to Stay in Arizona
For Wild West lovers
- Tanque Verde Ranch has been dubbed the ‘Best Dude Ranch in Arizona’ for a reason. This old time cattle and guest ranch is surrounded by 60,000 acres of breathtaking desert landscape, including the Rincon Mountains and Saguaro National Park and Coronado National Forest. Expect everything from tennis to cave tours, hiking to fishing and much, much more. The dedicated kids’ ranch activities programme makes this an epic family choice.
For the great outdoors
- L’Auberge de Sedona is a beautiful idyll nestled at Oak Creek in Red Rock Country, with luxuriously-appointed cottages, a pool, superb spa and excellent cuisine. Natural wonders abound, and with horseback rides, hot air balloon trips, hikes and ATV rentals, there are all sorts of ways to discover Sedona’s spectacular scenery.
- Enchantment Resort and Spa is a secluded luxury resort with four restaurants, set in 70 acres of striking scenery in the heart of Boynton Canyon. Contemporary rooms and suites are generously appointed with fireplaces and private decks, whilst the Mii Amp Spa offers wonderful healing therapies. With mountain biking, hiking, canyon walking, tennis, golf, pilates and stargazing, lovers of the great outdoors will be spoilt for choice. There are also art classes and a fantastic kids’ club.
- El Tovar Hotel is a historic lodge with comfortable, traditional rooms, perched right on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Think spectacular views, fishing, trekking, river rafting, mule rides more — this is one for adventure enthusiasts.
For luxury & a spa
- Santuary Resort at Camelback offers a sophisticated resort experience, with suites, casitas and private villas overlooking spectacular Paradise Valley and Camelback Mountain. Nab a Spa Suite or Spa Casita for maximum proximity to the spa and fitness centre. Rejuvenate your mind and body with one of the signature Asian-inspired treatments, before tucking into gourmet fare at the famed Elements restaurant. Super-chic and luxurious.
- Castle Hot Springs is a spectacularly-located luxury hotel and spa surrounded by the Bradshaw Mountains. Cosy up on your private terrace, unwind in the thermal hot springs, sample yoga and meditation classes and indulge in a Castle Signature Massage at the spa. Pick this place for classic elegance with an exemplary focus on wellness.
- Amara Resort & Spa boasts beautifully-designed rooms and an award-winning spa in a tranquil location near Uptown Sedona. Showcasing headboards carved from fallen trees, traditional weaves and artwork on the walls, this creative resort pays particular homage to the local landscape. Unwind at the soothing spa (don't miss the signature Rain Dance Massages) and sip cracking cocktails as the sun goes down. Choose this hotel for its focus on nature.
- Royal Palms Resort and Spa is a timeless classic, on a 65-acre estate between Phoenix and Scottsdale, which first opened as a hotel in 1948. Elegant suites and casitas boast characterful wooden beams, big beds and lovely outdoor patios, whilst families will adore the six villas. Relax with Mediterranean treatments at the Alvadora Spa, try tai chi or yoga, explore the biking and running trails, and chill out by the pool before tucking in to marvellous Mediterranean food at T.Cooks. An ideal choice for old-school charm.
For a traditional stay
- Arizona Inn offers charming, traditional rooms in a historic family-run hotel, surrounded by verdant lawns, flowers and fountains and a large swimming pool. The two-bedroom, two-bathroom house is a brilliant option for families or groups.
- Casa Sedona is a romantic inn nestled on an acre of manicured gardens. Rooms are cosy and quaint, with big wooden beds and fireplaces. Pick this place for beautiful views, hikes aplenty, and a relaxed, traditional feel.
- El Portal prides itself on offering visitors a real sense of the soul of the southwest: think hand-plastered walls, period features and artisan tiles in big, comfortable bedrooms. Nab a luxury suite for dazzling views and a river-rock fireplace. A superb central Sedona location, perfect for making the most of the town as well as the wonders beyond.
For contemporary chic
- The Saguaro is a colourful, modern hotel offering chic accommodation in the heart of old town Scottsdale. Poolside DJ sets and live music ensure it's a buzzing place. Plus there's a spa for the morning after, and the Mexican food is award-winning.
- Mountain Shadows Resort offers swish, ultra-modern rooms with beautiful bathrooms and striking Camelback Mountain views. A bold reinvention of a chic 1950s hotspot once popular with the likes of John Wayne and Elizabeth Taylor, this is a seriously cool pick for a poolside cocktail.
- Found:Re Pheonix is a cool, contemporary spot with awesome views over recently revived downtown Phoenix. The loft-style rooms feature wrought-iron beams, reclaimed wood and funky light fixtures. A lively bar and restaurant serve creative cuisine with an emphasis on local produce. A great city choice.
- Hermosa Inn is a hacienda-style artist’s residence turned boutique hotel, with a warm, cosy feel. Think big beds, leather upholstery, handwoven textiles and lovely fireplaces. Highlights include the lovely outdoor pool and a chic restaurant serving gourmet fare. A charming, traditional choice for foodie couples!
- Hacienda del Sol Guest Ranch enjoys impressive views of the desert from its superb location, tucked in 39 acres of the Santa Catalina foothills. Once visited by Katherine Hepburn, this historic resort offers rustic-chic rooms, as well as award-winning wine and food. The organic vegetable gardens are a real point of pride, whilst the 800-strong wine selection certainly won’t disappoint.
- Hotel Valley Ho is a quirky and colourful hotel with an almost futuristic feel, just 5 minutes from Old Town Scottsdale. Generously-proportioned suites and a big outdoor pool make this a fun pick for families.
- Four Seasons Scottsdale features gorgeous contemporary rooms in traditionally-styled casitas, fusing soothing vibes with a real thirst for adventure. Explorers will love discovering the desert by mountain bikes, whilst the designated kids’ pool should prove a hit with little ones, as will the superb kids’ club activities — ranging from fun science experiments to tracking animals in the desert. Highlights include two golf courses right on the doorstep, fantastic eateries, and an excellent spa. A luxury resort for the whole family.
- Under Canvas Grand Canyon offers luxurious tented rooms with big cosy beds, wooden furnishings, ensuite bathrooms and wood-burning stove. A gorgeous glamping experience, just 25 minutes from the Grand Canyon National Park. One for romantic stargazers.
If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Arizona is very well-connected, with major airports in Bullhead City, Yuma, Flagstaff, Tucson, Tusayan, Phoenix, Mesa, Page and Peach Springs. Most hotels will be happy to offer advice on your travel plans, and to arrange an airport pickup if needed.
- This is also an excellent region to explore by road. If you would like to hire a car, we recommended that you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Arizona has very hot summers and fairly cold winters. Plan your trip during the shoulder months (March to May or October and November) for the best weather.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Sedona.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in the USA.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Arizona
Best Hotels in Arizona
Phantom Ranch Arizona from £39Birdwatching - There a plenty of birds to be seen both on the hike down and while staying at the lodge.Great walks - Only accessible by hiking along the Bright angel and Kaibab trails.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Full of character
Phantom Ranch is the only lodging available in the Grand Canyon, accessible by hiking, mule or rafting. The rustic cabins are built of native stone and wood, blending perfectly with the surroundings. Meals consist of hearty stews or steak, ideal after a days exertions. A once in a lifetime place! See More
Hassayampa Inn Prescott 67 rooms from £67Fishing - Fishing and boating are popular at Watson and Willow lakes close to downtown, and at Goldwater Lake, also within city limits.Full of characterDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel
Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins Grand Canyon Village, Arizona 50 rooms from £86Great walks - Trail of Time is a walking timeline through the history of the area.Sights nearby - Explore South Rim historical village.Remote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Resting on canyon rim, these rustic cabins showcase nature at its finest with activities for all the family and a hideaway from city life. Cozy cabins with breathtaking views and private sitting rooms. Family-style dining with an all-American menu. Relax with a drink as the sunsets. See More
Hotel Palomar, Phoenix Phoenix 270 rooms from £94Sights nearby - Just minutes awawy is Talking Stick Resort Arena a state-of-the-art complex, home to some of the top US sports teams.Swimming Pool - Outdoor/Indoor year round pool.Lively - Hip and happening.Opulent
An upscale city-chic hotel right in the action of Cityscape downtown Phoenix. The plush rooms are elegantly decorated. Kick back with a cocktail on the rooftop poolside bar or indulge on the organic, locally sourced gourmet creations from Blue Hound Kitchen. Sophisticated and grown up. See More
Royal Palms Resort & Spa Phoenix (Arizona) 66 rooms from £101Sights nearby - Grand Canyon.Romantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet
1929 Spanish mansion nestled in the Camelback Mountain foothills. Spa treatments, pool, fitness and business facilities are all available. The rooms are traditional and luxurious with four-poster beds, fireplaces and modern bathrooms. T. Cooks Restaurant is a must for seasonal and local dishes. See More
Firesky Resort & Spa Scottsdale 204 rooms from £141Swimming Pool - Outdoor year round pool.Lively - Hip and happening.OpulentBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
Sedona Rouge Hotel & Spa Sedona (Arizona) 104 rooms from £141Spa breaks - With an extensive spa onsite boasting first-class facilities, book this hotel for a unique red rock spa breakRomantic Break - Couples love the relaxed atmosphere at this stylish spa; book a couples' treatment for a romantic night inLocal exploring - Located in the centre of Sedona, this hotel offers easy access to the town's main attractionsSights nearby - Visit the Montezuma Castle National Monument, a set of preserved dwellings which were built and used by the Sinagua peopleRecommended by - Tablet
This luxury hotel and spa is located in Sedona, Arizona. Guestrooms are cosy and inviting, with carpeted floors, a fireplace and private patio; book a luxury suite in the spa for a sunken bathtub and rejuvenating toiletries. Book a couples' massage for a romantic evening in; a stylish spa getaway. See More
A Sunset Chateau Sedona 25 rooms from £141Romantic Break - Couples love the stylish interiors at this hotel; book the luxury hacienda suite for Red Rock views from a private balconyActive Holiday - This hotel is close to lots of hiking trails, making it a great choice for active holidaymakersBack to Nature - Set on a hillside in Sedona, this hotel overlooks the best of the region's natural beautyGreat walks - Take the Airport Mesa trail and loop around Table Top Mountain through basalt boulders and red rocks to panoramic views
This charming hotel is nestled on a hillside with views over Sedona's famous red rocks. The stylish suites are individually dressed and feature a fireplace, plush rugs and boutique furniture; book the Royal Hacienda Suite for a private balcony with mountain views. Unwind in the hot tub; a chic stay. See More
The Saguaro Scottsdale 194 rooms from £144Total relaxation - The hotel has two palm-fringed pools surrounded by cabanas, and a Nueva Latin spa with special desert treatmentsSpa breaksSwimming Pool - The hotel has two heated outdoor pools, one with DJs and weekend entertainment, one with a more sedate atmosphereSpa - The spa has three treatment rooms, offering an array of treatments such as facials and rejuvenating massagesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Modern hotel in Scottsdale boasting two picturesque outdoor swimming pools, a spa offering desert-inspired treatments, and a delicious Mexican restaurant. The rooms are bright and colourful, and feature a balcony with pool or city views. The bar serves over 100 whiskeys and there are poolside DJs. See More
Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Tucson 59 rooms from £148Swimming Pool - Year round outdoor pool.Lively - Hip and happening.Full of characterBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
A luxurious and historic resort nestled in 39 acres of the breathtaking Catalina foothills. Rooms are chic & rustic with exposed beams, wooden floors, oriental rugs and handcrafted furniture. The restaurants, supplied by the organic vegetable garden, command spectacular views of the desert. See More
Casa Sedona Sedona (Arizona) 16 rooms from £158Local exploring - Located 15 minutes' from the Red Rock State Park, there is plenty to explore local to this hotelRomantic Break - Couples love the cosy rooms at this hotel; book a luxury suite for self-catering facilitiesBack to Nature - Set on an acre of native forest, this hotel makes a unique retreat to natureGreat walks - Discover the cultural landscape of Sedona on a galleries walk; enquire at the hotel for the best route
This romantic inn is nestled on an acre of manicured gardens. The elegant guestrooms feature a cosy, private fireplace, balcony and luxury linens; book the Sol Vista Suite for a furnished patio and self-catering facilities. Dine at the intimate hotel restaurant; a quiet rural stay. See More
El Tovar Hotel Arizona 78 rooms from £162Fishing - Arizona state fishing licenses are required for any fishing in the park, pick these up at General Store in Market Plaza.Lively - Hip and happening.Full of characterQuirky - An experience!
Amara Resort & Spa Sedona 100 rooms from £172Total relaxation - A wonderfully reviving spa, plush rooms and views over the famed red rocks which are said to emanate rejuvenating energyViews - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Recommended by - Tablet
A secluded and peaceful resort, just two blocks from uptown Sedona. The colour schemes and decor pay hommage to the local landscape- native weaves and baskets hang on the walls and the headboards are carved from fallen trees. Feast on South West favourites with a twist and killer cocktails. See More
Under Canvas Grand Canyon AZ, Arizona 90 rooms from £182Local exploring - Situated less than 30 minutes from an entrance of the Grand Canyon, book this hotel as a base for exploring this natural wonderFamilies - There are great glamping options available for families; parents can book a cabin-style tent with an annex 'hive' for the kidsBack to Nature - Set within 160-acres of secluded piñon and juniper forest, book this hotel for an authentic back-to-nature retreatOutstanding location
Experience one of the 7 wonders of the world at this chic glamping resort, located just 25 minutes from the Grand Canyon National Park. Choose from luxury camping options with private ensuite bathrooms and a wood stove where you can warm up after a hotel bike ride through the canyon. See More
Found:Re Phoenix Phoenix 105 rooms from £207City Style - A vibrant post-industrial style hotel in downtown Phoenix, packed with carefully curated contemporary art and reclaimed woodLively - Hip and happening.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet
A cool contemporary hotel signalling the success of newly revived downtown Phoenix. The loft style rooms feature wrought iron beams, reclaimed wood and funky light fixtures. A lively bar and restaurant serving creative cuisine with an emphasis on local produce from the veg to the wines and beers. See More
Enchantment Resort and Spa Sedona (Arizona) from £284Sights nearby - In the area you MUST see the Grand Canyon and there are some fantastic tours to get on.Cooking classes - Cooking classes and demos are avaliable for all levels of cooks.Secluded setting - For escaping.OpulentRecommended by - Fodors
A luxurious resort secluded in 70 acres. Large contemporary rooms and suites have private decks and fireplaces with unbelievable views of the gateway to Boynton Canyon. Imaginative menus and an extensive wine list welcome you at all four of the restaurants. Activity and spa paradise. See More
Arizona Inn Tucson (Arizona) 95 rooms from £233DowntownBirdwatching - 250 species of birds to spot.Sights nearby - Tucson Botanical Gardens.Full of character
Verdant lawns, flowers and fountains surround this luxury historic resort. Charm, comfort and a home from home vibe is great to find in the heart of this desert city. You have a choice of a private house with pool or a cozy room. Inviting dining options, inside or al fresco will suite your mood! See More
El Portal Sedona (Arizona) 12 rooms from £233Active Holiday - Within easy walking distance of Sedona's most famous hiking trail, this hotel is a great base for an active holidayRomantic Break - Couples love the cosy nooks and crannies at this Arts and Crafts hotel; book a luxury suite for Grand Canyon viewsLocal exploring - Located a stone's throw from Sedona's art district, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringGreat walks - Discover the cultural landscape of Sedona on a galleries walk; ask at the hotel for route details
This luxury inn is located in Sedona, Arizona. The individually designed suites have hand-plastered walls, period features and artisan tilework; book a luxury suite for views of the Grand Canyon and a river-rock fireplace. Relax by the open hearth in the sitting room; a luxury Arts and Crafts hotel. See More
Sanctuary Resort at Camelback Scottsdale 105 rooms from £275Sights nearby - Canyon Lake, Grand Canyon and Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are all within reach.Great walks - The Apache Trail travels past the majestic Superstition Mountains.Views - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.
Hotel Valley Ho Scottsdale 241 rooms from £278Total relaxation - Feel a million miles away from all your worries as you unwind by the pool or indulge yourself in the spaCity Style - With its 60 plus years as a weekend retreat for the Hollywood jet set, this hotel oozes Fifties glamour!Great walks - Stroll through Scottsdale or head to the Tonto National ForestSights nearby - Be sure to check out Phoenix Zoo and Wrigley MansionRecommended by - Tablet
The lively Hotel Valley Ho is located just five minutes from Old Town Scottsdale. The quirky and colourful contemporary accommodation comes complete with king-sized beds. Head to the ZuZu Lounge and indulge in traditional American cuisine! With suites available, it's a great fun family spot. See More
Hermosa Inn Scottsdale (Phoenix) 43 rooms from £288Hideaway - Set on a quiet street, and with a pool and restaurant onsite, this hotel makes a great hideaway holiday destinationRomantic Break - With beautifully appointed suites and an acclaimed restaurant, book this hotel for your next romantic getawayLocal exploring - The hotel's location provides easy access to the city's main attractions, perfect for local exploringSights nearby - Take a tour of Taliesin West, architect Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home and now the campus for The School of Architecture
This former artist residence turned boutique hotel is nestled in the foothills of Camelback Mountain, Arizona. The hacienda-style accommodation has a warm, Southwestern style, featuring wood and leather accents plus vaulted ceilings. With a chic restaurant, this hotel is perfect for foodie couples. See More
L'Auberge de Sedona Sedona (Arizona) 88 rooms from £316Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Do not miss the Grand Canyon - whether by jeep or train.Remote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Resting within Oak Creek in Red Rock Country lies this prime located hotel with pool and spa. Large, modern rooms with fireplaces, designer bathrooms and all the mod-cons. L’Auberge Restaurant has a bountiful cellar to accompany the award winning French cuisine. Romantic break or family adventures. See More
Four Seasons Scottsdale Scottsdale (Arizona) 210 rooms from £335Hideaway - Perfect hideaway location for couples and families that want a week to remember.Local markets - McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park is great for all the family.Back to Nature - Surrounded by natureRemote - Off the beaten track.
This Arizona desert setting features two pools, spa, fitness and business facilities. Cream linens, wood furnishings and private balconies in each room as well as all the mod-cons. Saguaro Blossom is poolside and Talavera is steakhouse inspired. Head to Onxy Bar and Lounge for cocktails. See More
Tanque Verde Ranch Tucson (Arizona) 69 rooms from £351Fishing - For all the family - get a packed lunch for on the go.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of characterOutstanding location
Working ranch offers a Western experience in Saguaro National Park with pool, spa and tennis courts. Large classic rooms have red rock views, mod-cons and bathrooms. Southwest, BBQ and Mexican cuisine is served by the pool or at the restaurant overlooking the great outdoors. Activity central! See More
Mountain Shadows Resort Scottsdale 183 rooms from £361Total relaxation - Whether it's golfing, swimming, sipping on cocktails or being pampered and poked in the spa- relaxtion is on the cardsGolf - The hotel itself boasts a quick par-3 course and there are several longer courses in the areaGreat walks - Hitch a lift with the resorts Tesla to Echo Canyon trailhead at Camelback MountainLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
A fabulous reinvention of a 1950's destination for the stars, this modern-luxe resort brings Camelback Mountain to life. Ultra modern rooms offer plush bedding, cocktail carts and floor to ceiling windows with spectacular views. The open-air bar and restaurant comes complete with two pools. See More
Castle Hot Springs Arizona 32 rooms from £1093Total relaxation - Get back to nature and unwind in the tranquil setting and the natural thermal springsGreat walks - Embark on a guided hike through the Bradshaw MountainsFull board - The price quoted includes all meals and activitiesSwimming Pool - Large outdoor pool and three hot springs poolsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A luxury hotel and spa set in a spectacular location surrounded by the Bradshaw mountains. Spacious well-appointed rooms feature working fireplaces, deep bathtubs and high thread-count sheets. Designed as a place to relax; spend days soaking in the thermal springs and indulging in the exemplary spa. See More