The 7 best hotels in South Dublin
South Dublin is primarily comprised of two picturesque neighbourhoods, Donnybrook and Ballsbridge. The streets are leafy, there's plenty of pretty parks and a wide selection of eateries and bars. Better yet, the city centre is just a short drive away, while you're also ideally positioned to access the Aviva Stadium and Dublin’s famous exhibition centre at the RDS. These neighbourhoods are ideal for families or those looking for a peaceful stay, yet with easy access to the city centre. Our selection of the best hotels in South Dublin are broad, ranging from charming traditional townhouses to luxury hotels.
- A luxury four-star hotel in south Dublin. Herbert Park Hotel offers plush rooms with stunning views over the expansive Herbert Park. The family rooms are great for travelling with children; dine at the gourmet restaurant or take afternoon tea in the terrace lounge. A stylish city break.
- Be assured of luxury standards and a good range of rooms and rates at the Intercontinental Dublin. Set in stunning grounds and offering a popular bar, elegant bedrooms and an excellent spa.
- Dublin's funkiest hotel, the Dylan, is decorated with bold colours and contemporary Baroque flourishes - extravagant patterns and oversized furniture. A lavish spot for business or pleasure.
For traditional style
- The chic Pembroke Hall is located in a four-storey listed Georgian townhouse in Dublin's leafy Ballsbridge area. Rooms are decorated in a period style in keeping with the building's legacy; expect king-size and super king-size beds dressed in high-quality cotton linens. A stately city stay.
- An imposing townhouse located on a quiet street, Waterloo House features traditional rooms which are light and airy with sash windows and antique furniture. There's a manicured garden and cosy lounge. Ideal for city breaks.
- Ariel House, set in a converted Victorian townhouse, offers traditionally styled rooms (suites have four posters). Well positioned and priced.
- For gracious living in a grand mansion boasting a secluded setting on a residential street in Ballsbridge book Aberdeen Lodge. It features elegant bedrooms and lovely gardens which can be enjoyed from the terrace over an award-winning breakfast.
Still not sure which of the best hotels in South Dublin to book? Widen the net to include North Dublin or all of our Dublin recommendations. Alternatively contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Herbert Park Hotel Dublin 153 rooms from £161Families - With triple, interconnecting rooms in the family suites, this hotel is perfect for families travelling with older childrenCity Style - Located in Dublin's historic centre, this hotel is a great base for exploring the local sights on a city breakRomantic Break - With cosy interior décor and a romantic terrace lounge, this hotel is perfect for couples on a city getawaySailing - The Surfdock Centre offers windsurfing and sailing courses; enquire at the hotel for more information
A smart hotel in leafy south Dublin. Plush rooms offer soft carpets and luxurious linens, with stunning views over the expansive Herbert Park. The family rooms are great for travelling with children; dine at the gourmet restaurant or take afternoon tea in the terrace lounge. A stylish city break. See More
Intercontinental Dublin Dublin 139 rooms from £265Spa breaks - ESPA spa featuring its trademark treatments, plus sauna, steam room and relaxation areaCity Style - A luxurious five star stay with impeccable service and a tranquil settingSights nearby - Make a trip to see Trinity College and Dublin CastleSwimming Pool - Indoor Pool
Dylan Dublin 44 rooms from £226Sights nearby - Head to James's Gate and take a tour of the Guinness Brewery, fascinating and includes a pint in the panoramic Skybar.Great walks - Wander through leafy Georgian Dublin to St. Stephens Green, a charming central park complete with swan filled pond.Full of characterOpulentRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Dublin’s funkiest hotel. Bold colours of scarlet red and lime green are exaggerated by contemporary Baroque flourishes - extravagant patterns and oversized furniture. Sleek, more neutral bedrooms with all the high-techery and sophisticated meeting rooms - a lavish spot for business or pleasure. See More
Pembroke Hall Dublin (Ballsbridge) 12 rooms from £239City Style - Set in a quiet area close to the main attractions, this is a great base to come back to after a day of sightseeingHideaway - Set in quiet Ballsbridge, this is a great Dublin bolt-hole away from the busy city centreRomantic Break - Choose a room with a super king-size bed to luxuriate in on your romantic getawayTennis - Keep active and visit Herbert Park tennis club, a public tennis club with 8 courts
This chic hotel is located in a four-storey listed Georgian townhouse in Dublin's leafy Ballsbridge area. The ensuite rooms are decorated in a period style in keeping with the building's legacy; expect king-size and super king-size beds dressed in high-quality cotton linens. A stately city stay. See More
Ariel House Dublin (Ballsbridge) 37 rooms from £78City Style - Set in a grand Victorian era house, the interiors mix the building's original features with simple and chic contemporary styleOther Activities - Located in the shadow of the Aviva Stadium making this an ideal choice for those travelling to watch a rugby gameLocal exploring - Well positioned for accessing the Aviva Stadium, the Dublin Convention Centre and many historical sightsSights nearby - Ballsbridge enjoys easy access to all of Dublin's major attractionsRecommended by - Fodors
Converted Victorian townhouse on the Lansdowne Road just steps from the Aviva stadium. Rooms are traditional in style - book a suite for a four poster experience. Incredible value for this excellent Dublin location, close to all major sights and nightlife. Perfect for a budget break or rugby fans. See More
Waterloo House Dublin (Ballsbridge) 19 rooms from £191Local exploring - Well positioned to explore Dublin, yet on a quiet street away from the bustle.Great walks - Take a walk along Sandymount Strand, the most famous beach in Irish fiction.Full of characterTraditional
An imposing townhouse located on a quiet street in central Dublin. Traditional rooms are light and airy with sash windows, antique furniture and warm hues. A manicured garden and cosy lounge are the perfect spots to unwind after a day exploring the city. Ideal for city breaks. See More
Aberdeen Lodge Dublin 20 rooms from £143Local exploring - Explore the coast line of Dublin's south side, with a quaint village-like charm and wonderful seafood.Local markets - Explore the affluent coastal suburb of Sandymount, with charming fish shops, delis and restuarants.Great walks - A five minute walk brings you to Sandymount Beach, a popular walking spot for locals.Sights nearby - The James Joyce Tower and Museum is a Martello tower only six minutes away.
Gracious living in a grand mansion in a more secluded setting on a residential street in Ballsbridge. Elegant bedrooms with brass or four poster beds, floor to ceiling windows, and big armchairs. Lovely gardens can be enjoyed from the terrace over an award-winning breakfast. See More