20 of the Best Hotels near Venice's Grand Canal
The Grand Canal runs through the centre of Venice, and it is along its length that you’ll find some of the most breathtaking buildings and views of the city. So refining your accommodation search to the best hotels near Venice's Grand Canal will ensure a real Venetian experience. The Grand Canal is almost 4km long and runs in an s-shape through the city, both a thoroughfare and a living museum to this city’s grandeur. Choosing one of the best hotels near Venice's Grand Canal doesn’t just ensure your views, it’ll also make your life simple when it comes to getting around — you’ll find gondolas and water taxis right by your doorstep ready and waiting to ferry you to the various museums, galleries or restaurants. With a wide choice of hotels to select from, picking the best hotel on the canal for you can be a time-consuming task. With this in mind, our hotel experts have compiled a collection of their favourite properties on the Grand Canal. Whether you are in search of a converted Palazzo, a grand five-star, an apartment-hotel, or something that's offered at great rates — there is something to suit most tastes and budgets. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next break?
For a romantic hotel
- Or you might try the Hotel Londra Palace, which isn’t right on the canal, but it is right on the lagoon, which the canal opens onto. This is an elegant, luxurious mid-sized option with spectacular lagoon views and a fine collection of art and antiques.
- Palazzetto Pisani is an exquisite jewel of a 16th-century house on the Grand Canal overlooking the Accademia Bridge and Santa Maria della Salute. Stylish, richly furnished, welcoming and extremely comfortable. Grand rooms with private balconies make this an alluring choice for couples.
For a boutique
- Hotel Canal Grande is an intimate four-star boutique hotel nestled in the ancient sestiere of Santa Croce. Refined and opulent suites are adorned with gold leaf, Murano glass and polished wood floors. A luxury choice with a beautiful terrace overlooking the Grand Canal.
- Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal lies within a 17th-century aristocratic residence overlooking the Grand Canal. Rooms are dressed in royal teal with gold leaf finishes with velvet throws and period furniture. The best suites have Grand Canal views, as does the hotel restaurant. Another luxury choice.
- Hotel Antiche Figure is a charming traditional property. Rooms are elegantly dressed and the best have canal views. Ideal for a real Venetian treat, within easy reach of the main sights.
For a five star
- Palazzo Venart is a five-star hotel occupying a 16th-century palazzo on the Grand Canal. Restored frescoes and marble fireplaces adorn the building. Suites boast wooden floors, period furniture and hand-selected artworks; the best have Grand Canal views. Complete with a Michelin-starred restaurant, this is luxury defined.
- Aman Venice is a smart hotel housed in a magnificent Rococo palace on the Grand Canal. Expect stacks of original features, from 18th-century frescoes to a 16th-century Sansovino fireplace; the best suites offer spectacular views of the canal. Renowned for its spa, this is a spoiling option.
For a city break
- If your tastes run to modern decor, then Palazzina G, designed by Philip Starke, will probably be more your style, with its 22 chic white rooms, suites and apartments and fashionable restaurant and bar.
- The Palazzo Barbarigo is one of the smaller palazzo hotels, with just 18 rooms with sultry, art deco decor.
- Hotel L'Orologio is situated right next to the Grand Canal and is only a short walk from some of the city's most famous sights. With designer rooms decorated in a typically Venetian style, this is a chic choice for a city break.
- Or try the Centurion Palace a stunning, traditionally grand hotel with fabulous rooms and suites filled with modern art and a beautiful courtyard and restaurant terrace.
For a hideaway
- Al Ponte Antico has just seven rooms, all with gold brocade walls and elegant detailing, it’s also got wonderful views, especially from its charming terrace.
- GKK Exclusive Private Suites is located within a cosy interior passage and has only 6 rooms, making this ideal as a city hideaway. Set within a heritage building overlooking the Grand Canal, rooms are dressed in a modern Venetian style with patterned wallpaper and contemporary Italian furnishings.
For history buffs
- Ca Maria Adele is a 12 room boutique hotel converted sympathetically from a 16th-century Palazzo, and then decorated with rich fabrics and clever design.
- San Cassiano is an elegant, great value, canal-side B&B with lovely original interiors such as exposed beams and tapestries. Despite the smart interiors, there is a very family-friendly atmosphere.
For an apartment hotel
- Palazzo Ca'Nova offers luxurious apartments set across three floors on the Grand Canal. Choose from the third-floor terrace apartment with views of the waters, the intimate second-floor apartment or the exclusive rooftop apartment with a private terrace. A unique Venetian hotel.
For a special occasion
- The Gritti Palace has been exquisitely converted from a 15th Century Doge’s Palace and has some of the most wonderful views in Venice, and its 82 rooms are some of Venice’s most opulent.
- Or, for a more affordable palace stay, try the Ca’ Sagredo Hotel, which is also magnificent and very luxurious.
For a B&B
- Cima Rosa is a traditional 15th century Palazzo with wonderful views of the Grand Canal. Three elegant rooms offer a charming blend of antique furniture and contemporary features. A great base for a city break especially as the owners have lots of local knowledge.
For great value
- With prices starting from €129 per night (low season) you can stay at a charming, traditional, family-run hotel, the Pensione Accademia, which has typically Venetian accommodation and some rooms with balconies right over the canal.
Still not sure where to book?
- Uncover the gems on our Guru’s list of Charming Budget Guesthouses in Venice.
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Venice, the best hotels in Venice with Canal Views, just the Best Palazzo Hotels in Venice, the best romantic hotels in Venice or the Best Luxury Hotels.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel Londra Palace Venice 53 rooms from £534Writing a novel - Countless artists and authors have drawn inspiration from the hotel, including Tchaikovsky, who wrote his Fourth Symphony hereRomantic Break - Sumptuous suites, spectacular views, chic dining and beds that are almost impossible to pull yourself out ofCity Style - Located on Promenade of Riva degli Schiavoni with Biedermeier style interiors and views of the Londra PalaceSights nearby - The famed Piazza San Marco is just around the corner, as is the Doge’s PalaceRecommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
140 years of history meets 21st century luxury. Large, comfortable rooms enjoy views of St. Mark’s Basin. Foodies can indulge in the fine dining menu whilst interior design lovers will appreciate the lavish, Venetian decor. Centrally located, St. Mark's Square is but a five minute walk away. See More
Ca’ Sagredo Hotel Venice 42 rooms from £258Honeymoons - This hotel drips in splendour and opulent romance — think frescoed ballrooms, palatial suites, elegant drapes & orginal artworkFoodies - The trendy and effortlessly elegant L’Alcova restaurant serves up regional specialities with a modern twistSights nearby - Nestled between Ca DOro and the Rialto Bridge you're not more than a short walk or boat ride to Venice's main attractionsLocal markets - The ancient Rialto Market happens just across from the hotel, a spectacle for all the senses and well worth a visitRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Fodors, Great Small Hotels
Pensione Accademia Venice 27 rooms from £219Museums - Well positioned for the Accademia Gallery, the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, and the Punta della Dogana contemporary art spaceHideaway - Set in the quiet residential area of the Dorsoduro quarter yet within close proximity to many sites — a quiet city hideawayTraditional - Rooms are typically Venetian in style with antiques and traditional terrazzo flooringSights nearby - A 15 minute walk to St Mark's Square and the Fenice Opera House
Ca Maria Adele Venice 12 rooms from £315City Style - Chic hotel with fantastic views of the Santa Maria della Salute Basilica in central VeniceRomantic Break - Ornate kingsize beds and sumptuous fabrics throughout make this a romantic choiceGreat walks - Wander down to the island tip where Punta della Dogana hosts the stunning art collection of billionaire Francois PinaultSights nearby - The hotel overlooks the Santa Maria della Salute BasilicaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
16th-century palazzo, overlooking Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute in the Dorsoduro neighbourhood. The décor harks back to a bygone era of decadence and style. Think rich fabrics, bold wallpaper and quirky antiques. Choose one of the themed rooms for the best experience and fine lagoon views. See More
Centurion Palace Venice 50 rooms from £349Local exploring - Located in the heart of the Dorsoduro district next to the Basilica of S. Maria della Salute and a number of museumsFoodies - Refined contemporary Italian dishes at Antinoo’s Lounge & Restaurant are worthy of a stay aloneCity Style - A luxury five-star stay offering the best of both worlds in its design with the old and the newContemporary - Contemporary interiors behind a Venetian Gothic facade!Recommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Stunning luxury hotel behind a classic Venetian facade perfectly situated on the Grand Canal. Fabulous rooms and suites filled with contemporary art, trendy designer furniture and clever lighting. Beautiful courtyard, restaurant with terrace, centrally located. Venice in style. See More
Palazzo Barbarigo Venice 18 rooms from £265Local exploring - Set near the Rialto bridge and overlooking the Grand Canal this is a chic central pad to explore the city on foot fromRomantic Break - Atmospheric rooms have a romantic air with feathered lampshades and smoky mirrorsCity Style - A glamorous stay mixing elegant traditional design mixed with 20s art decoLocal markets - Sample local delicacies in the square marketRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Palazzina Grassi Venice 26 rooms from £308City Style - Designed by Philippe Stark this hotel is both elegant and chic yet with surprising design elements giving a sense of avant gardeLocal exploring - The location on the lagoon in the San Marco district means you are close to many major sites plus several restaurantsFoodies - The very good PG’s restaurant offers Venetian cuisine with a contemporary flareHistoric - Once a Roman spa, this grand 16th century building is packed full of historyRecommended by - Tablet
Exclusive, fashionable and designed by Phillip Starke. A five-star hotel that attracts movers and shakers. The 16th-century facade opens onto stylish interiors that merge traditional and contemporary styles. This is worth the price tag with a fabulous Venetian restaurant and central location. See More
Gritti Palace Venice 82 rooms from £1289Designer Shopping - Just minutes from Calle Larga XXII Marzo, Venice's premier luxury shopping street, packed with designer boutiquesHoneymoons - Magnificant suites with hand-blown chandeliers, fine fabrics and balconies overlooking Santa Maria della SaluteMuseums - Directly opposite the Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, home to the famed Guggenheim MuseumLiterary - Hemingway and Somerset Maugham stayed here, amongst others.Recommended by - Frommers, Fodors
Former 15th Century Doge's palace turned beautiful hotel for all. Classically styled rooms have views to die for and spectacular marble bathrooms. Tradition and elegance meet at the fine dining restaurant, with seating over the main canal. A romantic hotel with a great location. See More
Hotel Antiche Figure Venice 22 rooms from £183Families - Mini-apartments in the annexe around the corner can sleep up to four and have some self-catering facilities - ideal for familiesShort break - The proximity of the railway station, bus terminus and cruise ship port make this a great option for those on a multi-stop tripCity Style - A traditionally styled Venetian property directly on the canal, offering plush decor and effortless elegance.Traditional - The décor is traditional Venetian with brocade-lined walls and rich colour schemes
A charming traditional property in a great canal-side location. Elegant rooms, the best of which boast canal views, feature large sash windows, chintz fabrics and chandeliers. An elegant breakfast room with an indulgent spread. Ideal for a real Venetian treat, within easy reach of the main sights. See More
Palazzo Venart Venice (Santa Croce) 18 rooms from £448City Style - Having undergone an extensive restoration, this hotel boasts many original features of the 16th-century palazzoRomantic Break - The Grand Canal setting, cosy hotel bar and gourmet restaurant make this hotel the perfect romantic getawayFoodies - Foodies will swoon at the hotel's Michelin-starred restaurant, headed by chef Enrico BartoliniSights nearby - Visit the nearby Basilica dei Frari, an imposing, Gothic-style church built in the 1330sRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This five-star hotel occupies a 16th-century palazzo on the Grand Canal. Restored frescoes and marble fireplaces adorn the building. Suites boast wooden floors, period furniture and hand-selected artworks; the best have Grand Canal views. Don't miss the Michelin-starred restaurant; luxury defined. See More
Al Ponte Antico Venice 7 rooms from £282Traditional - A pastiche of Venetian style, both in the bedrooms (think lots of velvet and brocade) and in the central living roomLocal exploring - You can see the Grand Canal and Rialto bridge from the hotel itself - locations don't get much more centralFamilies - With a laidback feel and several of the rooms accommodating up to four, this is well suited to familiesFull of character - The Louis XV-inspired décor is exuberant throughout - ideal for those who want an atmospheric stay
San Cassiano Venice 36 rooms from £180Local exploring - Offering a great location in the Sestiere of Santa Croce, facing the Canal Grande, right in front of the renowned Ca’ d’OroFamilies - A family-friendly atmosphere, excellent rates and family rooms make this a great choice for those travelling with childrenHistoric - A 14th century building once home to Venetian painter Giacomo FavrettoSights nearby - Set just a 15 minute walk from the renowned St Mark's SquareRecommended by - Frommers
Palazzetto Pisani Venice 26 rooms from £184Historic - The building dates back to the 16th century and is decorated in period style with family portraits, antiques, and rich fabricsLocal exploring - Overlooking the Grand Canal and ideally located for sights across Accademia Bridge such as the Peggy Guggenheim MuseumFamilies - Executive suites have two bedrooms and sleep up to four and children under 14 stay for freeRomantic Break - Grand rooms with private balconies make for a romantic stay
Palazzo Ca'nova Venice 3 rooms from £1250Hideaway - With an entire floor of the palazzo to yourself, there's no reason to leave this luxurious hideaway hotelFamilies - With large, spacious apartments, this hotel is perfect for families travelling with older childrenCity Style - Sitting on the Grand Canal itself, this heritage hotel is oozing Venetian charmSights nearby - Visit the magnificent Baroque church of Santa Maria della Salute, which sits opposite the hotelRecommended by - Sawdays
This hotel offers luxurious apartments set across three floors of the Palazzo Ca'nova on the Grand Canal; choose from the third-floor terrace apartment with views of the waters, the intimate second-floor apartment or the exclusive rooftop apartment with a private terrace. A unique Venetian hotel. See More
Cima Rosa Venice 6 rooms from £156Local exploring - Great location in the Santa Croce neighbourhood. Easy access to all of Venice's top attractions with a Vaporetta stop close byOwner managed - Owner managed & it shows. Attention to detail like pre-trip planning & a kitchen with a constant supply of cookies!Outstanding location - Located right on the Grand Canal with views from three of the six bedroomsHistoric - A stunning 15th century palazzo conversionRecommended by - Sawdays, I Escape
Traditional 15th century Palazzo with views of the Grand Canal. Three elegant rooms with a charming blend of antique furniture & contemporary features and a charming outdoor courtyard, perfect for evening drinks. A great base for a city break - owners have lots of local knowledge. See More
Aman Venice Venice (San Polo) 24 rooms from £1098City Style - Housed in one of the eight grand palaces of Venice, you can't get more Venetian city style than this hotelRomantic Break - Couples will be bowled over by the original features in the suites and the romantic settingLocal exploring - Sitting on the Grand Canal itself, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringSights nearby - Take a private visit to the Doge’s Palace, a historic colonnaded masterpiece. Book through the hotel
This plush hotel is housed in a magnificent Rococco palace on the Grand Canal. Original features abound, from 18th-century frescoes to a 16th-century Sansovino fireplace; the best suites offer spectacular views of the canal. Dine at the gourmet restaurant before heading to the spa. Luxury defined. See More
GKK Exclusive Private Suites Venice (San Polo) 6 rooms from £141Hideaway - Set within a cosy interior passage and with only 6 rooms, this B&B is a great hideaway hotel optionCity Style - With contemporary interiors inspired by Venetian style, this hotel makes a fashionable stayRomantic Break - Book the Grand Canal suite for romantic views over the canal from your own private terraceSights nearby - Visit the Santo Stefano church, an expansive, Gothic, 13th-century church known for its Renaissance paintingsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This cosy boutique hotel sits within a heritage building overlooking the Grand Canal. Rooms are dressed in a modern Venetian style, with patterned wallpaper and contemporary Italian furnishings. The most exclusive suites have a free-standing, designer bathtub and pretty private terrace. A chic stay. See More
Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal Venice (San Marco) 99 rooms from £344City Style - With a perfectly-pitched blend of modern and traditional interior design, this hotel has spot-on Venetian luxury styleLocal exploring - Sitting right opposite the islands of San Giorgio and Giudecca, this hotel is in a great location for sightseeingRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic, canal-side hotel restaurant and the luxurious suitesSights nearby - Take a boat across to San Giorgio Maggiore island, renowned for its Palladian church
This hotel sits within a 17th-century aristocratic residence overlooking the Grand Canal. Rooms are dressed in royal teal with gold leaf finishes; expect velvet throws, textured wallpaper and period furniture. The best suites have Grand Canal views, as does the hotel restaurant. A charming stay. See More
Hotel L'Orologio Venice (30125 Sestriere San Polo) 43 rooms from £176Families - Extra beds and cots can be placed in the rooms while kids will feel right at home with their arrival 'welcome pack'City Style - Located right next to the Grand Canal in Venice, a perfect location from which to explore the cityLocal exploring - La Fenice, Piazza San Marco and Basilica San Marco are all located less than a mile awaySights nearby - Sights such as the Santa Maria Formosa Square and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection are only a short distance awayRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel L'Orologio, situated right next to the Grand Canal, is only a short walk from some of the city's most famous sights. The hotel has designer rooms decorated in typically Venetian materials and colours, and all rooms come with a private bathroom as well as a satellite TV. A chic city break. See More
Hotel Canal Grande Venice (Campo San Simeone Grande) 15 rooms from £237Romantic Break - A romantic 4 star boutique, with pampering suites filled with opulent fabrics plus views over the Grand CanalLocal exploring - Well placed to access the Rialto, St.Mark’s Square, and many of the city’s most renowned sitesHotel boats for hire - The hotel boasts its own private dock, so you can arrive directly by water taxi or gondolaTraditional - An elegant palace decorated in the Rococo style, typical of 18th century Venice
An intimate four star boutique hotel nestled in the ancient sestiere of Santa Croce. The refined and opulent suites areadorned with gold leaf, Murano glass and polished wood floors - exuding a classic sense of luxury. Take breakfast on the beautiful terrace overlooking the Grand Canal. See More