- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best rural hotels on Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria may be well-known for the neon-lit resorts of Playa del Inglés and Puerto Rico but it also has an interior that ranges from pine-clad hills to rugged and dramatic mountains. This not only means it has some great walking, from tough hikes to more gentle strolls, but also some terrific viewpoints. Many of the best rural hotels on Gran Canaria ensure not only easy access to walks and views but also a more authentic slice of Canarian life.
One lovely area for walking is the Guayadeque Ravine with its lush vegetation. For something tougher, head to Roque Nublo, the remains of an ancient volcano, and Roque Bentayga, an extraordinary finger of rock and the island’s sacred mountain. Pozo de las Nieves, at 1949 metres, is the island’s highest peak.
Pretty villages with stunning views include Temisas, Santa Lucía de Tirajana and San Bartolomé de Tirajana. Tejeda in the centre of the island, apart from being attractive in its own right with winding streets lined with balconied houses, is worth the visit for the road-trip through gorges and steep cliff-sides.
Early spring is one of the best times to visit the island’s interior when the almond trees are in full blossom. However the best rural hotels on Gran Canaria will be busy at this time of year, so get organised and book well ahead.
Best rural hotels on Gran Canaria
- There are lots of family activities at Hotel el Mondalon, a traditional finca with rooms with exposed-stone walls and wooden floors - most have a private terrace - pool and hot tub.
For value for money
- Hotel Rural Maipez offers extraordinary value for money. Its eleven rooms and suites are rustic chic with plenty of exposed beams and stonework, and doubles start from as little as €79 per night including breakfast.
Close to the beach
- Surrounded by rural countryside, yet close to beaches, Finca Los Longueras offers delightfully traditional rooms, a beautiful pool and lush, palm-tree-dotted gardens.
For the views
- With just six rooms, and tucked high in the mountains, Hotel Rural Las Calas offers both a peaceful retreat and stunning views. Rooms are beautifully rustic plus there’s a pool and friendly, communal dining.
- High in the heart of the island Parador Cruz de Tejeda is surrounded by craggy, tree-cloaked mountains, with spectacular views. The 86 rooms are crisp and contemporary plus there’s a pool and spa.
- Perched on a hilltop, Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas offers spectacular views from virtually all of its rooms. Bedrooms are rustic and colourful, some with antiques plus there’s a pool and spa.
- In the heart of the island, surrounded by mountains, the child-friendly Fonda de La Tea offers simple, traditional rooms - including a villa for four - a pool and stunning views.
For the best of both worlds
- Close to natural parks, and set in lush gardens, Hotel Escuela Santa Brigida offers 40 contemporary bedrooms, an outdoor pool and modern Canarian cuisine. And you're just five minutes from the capital, Las Palmas.
- La Hacienda del Buen Suceso is also well situated if you like a rural stay, but don't want to be too far from the action - it's just fifteen minutes from Las Palmas. The rooms are traditional and elegantly furnished and the restaurant serves traditional Canarian cuisine.
Not found what you're looking for amongst our pick of the best rural hotels on Gran Canaria?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Gran Canaria,
- check out our recommendations for the best rural hotels in the Canary Islands,
- or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Hotel el Mondalon 10 rooms from $103Los Hoyos, Gran Canaria
A traditional finca near a natural park with fantastic facilities. Traditional chic rooms, pretty gardens and pool, excellent restaurant, fitness areas, spa therapies, and lots of family oriented activities. A great value spot for families.Value chicGreat walks - Wonderful walking on the doorstepSwimming Pool - Heated poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel Rural Maipez 11 rooms from $90Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Rustic hotel in countryside. Rooms have wooden beam ceilings, living areas, exposed brickwork and big bathrooms. Outdoor pool and gardens. Lovely Canarian cuisine in low-key restaurant. Grown-up, authentic and good value.Romantic Break - Rustic romance inside, with a blue slip of pool on the grass, surrounded by quiet countryside and beachesGreat walks - Canario Viera y Clavijo Botanical Garden is a 20-minute walk awayLocal markets - Good for local colour.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Finca Las Longueras 10 rooms from $120Agaete, Gran Canaria
A traditional finca in a rural setting, but close to the beach. A gorgeous red country house with old fashioned, but elegant rooms. Lush green gardens, pool, and an excellent table d'hote. Great value and family friendly.Great walks - Great walking on the doorstep for all abilities.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool surrounded by palm treesBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel Rural Las Calas 6 rooms from $89San Mateo, Gran Canaria
This small and charming rustic hotel has an essence of the classical and the timeless, with ethnic brushstrokes of far-away cultures. It nestles in the heart of the mountains of Gran Canaria. The perfect spot for taking in breathtaking views and outdoor activities.Local exploringCountry EscapeContemporaryActive HolidayRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Parador Cruz de Tejeda 86 rooms from $126Tejeda, Gran Canaria
A large hotel surrounded by nature, mountainous ranges, and valley views. Large traditional chic bedrooms and suites with stunning views from private balconies. Excellent restaurants, bar, swimming pool, spa, and verdant gardens. A fabulous back to nature experience with excellent facilities.Country EscapeViews - Wonderful views over the surrounding countrysideSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor PoolsSpa
Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas 60 rooms from $171San Bartolomé de Tirajana, Gran Canaria
A charming hilltop hotel with stunning views out over the Gran Canarian valleys. The characterful rooms are littered with antiques and quaint touches. The restaurant serves local specialities and boasts amazing views. Bicycles and cars are available to rent for day trips. A hillside gem.Total relaxation - Perfect for a relaxing break, set on a tranquil mountain side, with spectacular views and a deluxe spa.Local exploring - A great base for exploring San Bartolomé de Tirajana and the surrounding mountains.Sights nearby - Rent a bike and visit the fantastic Maspalomas Dunes, not far from the hotel.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking in Palmitos Park.
Fonda de la Tea 11 rooms from $103Tejeda, Gran Canaria
A hiker's haven set in the mountains with stunning valley views. Charming traditional rooms and one villa (sleeps 4) with private balconies. Gorgeous terraces, swimming pool, local restaurant, and plenty of outdoor pursuits and quaint mountain villages to explore. Ideal for families.Views - Stunning valley views.Families - One house sleeps 4.Great walks - Explore the wonderful walking in the volcanic heart of the islandSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
Hotel Escuela Santa Brigida 40 rooms from $103Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
A rural hotel close to natural parks and golf courses. Attractive traditional interiors have antique decorations and serene spaces. Bedrooms have all the mod cons and lilac hues. Beautiful garden, pool, and excellent restaurant. A great choice for peaceful relaxation and local exploring.Value chicSights nearby - 5 mins from Gran Canaria's capitalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.
La Hacienda del Buen Suceso 18 rooms from $159Gran Canaria
Quiet hacienda amongst banana plantation. Elegant rooms have shuttered windows, beamed ceilings, pretty wallpapers and big bathrooms. Outdoor pool, sun terrace, wrap-around verandah, gym and jacuzzi. Fresh, traditional cuisine in converted barn restaurant. Pretty, authentic, outstanding views.Hideaway - Set amongst 50 hectares of banana trees, enjoy the sunset from a wicker seat, a stroll to the beach or a pool dipGreat walks - Meander through the plantation groundsSights nearby - Mansion of the Marquesa de ArucasSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape