14 of the Best Dog Friendly Hotels in Devon
There are plenty of statistics to tell us that the United Kingdom is a country of dog-lovers — as if we need statistics when it comes down to those big eyes and expressive ears! And for some of us that bond of love with our canine companion is so strong that they’re the first ‘person’ we pick on our list of holiday companions. If you’re one of those people then this list of Devon’s dog friendly hotels is for you. Our list of 15 of the Best Dog Friendly Hotels in Devon includes some surprises — you’ll not expect how beautiful some of the hotels in our luxury dog friendly hotels, Devon are, or how close you and your dog can get to staying on the beach.
The Best Dog Friendly Escapes
- Weeke Barton is the perfect home from home, if your home happened to be a small, rustically elegant, Grade II Listed manor house set in five acres of its own gardens on Dartmoor. There are only five rooms, so this is a great option for a family gathering or a getaway with a group of friends, and there’s a lounge and dining room and snug bar. You’re only half an hour from the coast, and of course there's all that garden space for your four legged friend to run about in…
- The Horn of Plenty Hotel is a small, luxurious country house hotel in the beautiful, rural Tamar Valley, on the edge of Dartmoor. The 16 rooms are romantic and unfussy, some traditional, some in a contemporary style, but it’s the views and the food that elevate this elegant hotel into something really special. Dogs are welcome too, and provided with doggie dinner, water bowl and treats aplenty!
- Prince Hall is a wonderful choice if you’re looking for somewhere to come to relax. This nine room rural retreat with its moorland views and excellent a la carte restaurant is idyllic and peaceful. At Prince Hall you don't pay any extra for your pooch and they offer complimentary treats, towels for muddy paws...
Dog Friendly Hotels for keen Walkers
- In a picturesque spot in the Teign Valley is the Mill End Hotel and restaurant, a cosy, welcoming spot with just 15 rooms, open fires and an excellent menu. And it’s all surrounded by space and the beautiful Dartmoor scenery. Dogs are welcome and there are plenty of towels provided in the boot room for cleaning those muddy paws, plus walking guides aplenty.
- Surrounded by ruggedly beautiful Dartmoor, the Ilsington Country House is a quintessentially British country house hotel, with 25 charming rooms, an excellent restaurant serving the best local produce available and with an outside dining area, an elegant lounge, a pool and spa, and a good solid use of tartan in the decor. Dogs are allowed in standard doubles, which are conveniently located for outside access.
- Best known for its fishing school and position on the Tamar, overlooking Dartmoor, the Arundell Arms is a wonderful old hotel with 21 comfortable, country stye rooms and an award-winning restaurant. The fishing school has won many awards too. The warm, welcoming atmosphere is a huge draw. Dogs are welcomed with complimentary chew and the hotel provides dog beds and feeding bowls.
Dog Friendly Hotels on the Coast
- The Thurlestone Hotel is a big, friendly family hotel/resort right on the South Devon coast, with a lot to do onsite, plus some excellent walks and charming villages close by. There are 65 rooms and suites in a range of shapes and sizes, plus a pub and restaurant, an indoor pool, tennis courts, golf, a spa, and all of it right beside a really beautiful stretch of coast. If you and your dog love the sea then this is the place for you! Dogs are welcome in standard accommodation plus they can accompany you in the gardens, reception, snug and terrace.
- The Cary Arms in Torquay is a pub with boutique-style rooms, suites and huts, and an incredible position on the side of a cliff overlooking Babbacombe Bay. The ten rooms and suites in the main building are simple but chic, then there are three self-catering fishermen’s cottages and eight fun beach huts and beach suites all with a fresh, New England-y sort of feel. If you stay in the beach properties you can open your door right onto the sundeck and then the beach. The food is fantastic too. Pets are welcome, but you need to check first.
- You’ll find the Soar Mill Cove Hotel a couple of miles outside of Salcombe, just above the beach. This is a friendly, family seaside hotel with fantastic views of the sea and a relaxed and relaxing atmosphere. The building is low-rise with 20 rooms, plus you'll find an excellent seafood restaurant and bar and a spa, sauna and pool. Outside there are tennis courts and a playground. And the coast path just a hundred yards from the door - perfect if you've brought along your four legged family member. If you want more independence they also have self-catering units — with hot tubs.
- The Salty Monk is an award-winning restaurant, with its own seven room B&B attached, in the pretty town of Sidmouth. This is a great spot for exploring the coastline, and, of course, the restaurant is excellent. The decor in the rooms varies from contemporary to country chic. There are three dog friendly rooms on the ground floor all with direct access outside.
- Dartmouth is a fantastic choice for a break in Devon, with its pretty harbour, castle, steam train, sandy local beaches, and wealth of National Trust properties nearby, and in Dartmouth we recommend the Royal Castle Hotel to anyone looking for a pet friendly Devon hotel. It’s in a fabulous spot overlooking the River Dart, it’s got 24 traditional style rooms with elegant antiques and chandeliers, and an atmospheric gastro pub/restaurant, which is also pet-friendly.
The Best Dog Friendly Pubs with Rooms
- The Tarr Farm Inn is a quaint inn in a postcard-perfect spot on Exmoor. Its nine rooms are simple and farmhouse-y, with large windows and chintz fabrics. There’s a small, but excellent, restaurant which specialises in the best local produce. Dogs are allowed in some of their rooms and blankets, bowls and towels can be provided.
Luxurious Dog Friendly Hotels in Devon
- Lewtrenchard Manor dates back to the 16th Century, making it Jacobean, and the current owners have decorated it beautifully to reflect the era when it was built, but in a comfortable way: think wood panelling, fireplaces, antiques, four-poster beds, and outside there’s the option to try falconry or clay pigeon shooting. The food is excellent, from the afternoon tea to the nine course taster menu, and there’s a ballroom, library, gallery and gardens as well as all the standard hotel facilities. Dogs are welcome in all rooms and suites and pretty much everywhere else except the restaurant.
- Chagford’s Gidleigh Park Hotel is a secluded and luxurious Dartmoor retreat, with just 24 rooms and 107 acres of mature grounds. The decor is ‘country plush’, and they have some lovely antiques and a very good original art collection. And their grand dining room has two Michelin stars. The have several heated kennels if you decide to bring along your furry friend.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Devon?
- Or you expand your search to the neighbouring county and consider our recommendations for the 10 Best Dog Friendly Hotels in Cornwall? or our Ultimate Guide to Dog Friendly Hotels in the UK?
- Alternatively you could consult our Guru’s recommendations for 6 of the Best Pubs with Rooms in Devon? which might be great places for your pooch and you.
- Or consider our list of the Best Places to Stay for Dartmoor?
- Or you might want to contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
15 of the Best Dog Friendly Hotels in Devon
Weeke Barton Bridford, Devon 5 rooms from £120Great walks - Dartmoor ramblingSecluded setting - For escaping.Full of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Sawdays
Thurlestone Hotel Kingsbridge, Devon 65 rooms from £150Local exploring - From hidden beaches to National Trust Properties and pretty seaside villages, there's masses to see and do.Sights nearby - Within a short drive there is a wide range of museums, castles, National Trust properties and pretty seaside towns to exploreTennis - Thurlestone has two all weather courts with racquets and balls to borrow if required.Spa - The Voyage Spa offers a good range of beauty therapies, plus pool and hot tub
A charming family friendly property on the South Devon coast with superb facilities for all ages. There's a wide range of rooms with a traditional yet contemporary feel - many with a private balcony and sea view, plus award winning fine dining, superb spa, golf course and much more. See More
Cary Arms Torquay 21 rooms from £163Exclusive offer - Special Winter BreakTotal relaxation - Lazy days eating seafood on the terrace, followed by customised holistic treatments in the spa using Yon-Ka products.Families - Three cottages with three, four or five rooms are ideal for families.Great walks - Jump onto the South West Coast Path National Trail spanning for 630 miles through stunning landscapes.Fishing - The Inn provides rods for the pier and nets for fishing in rock pools.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A boutique hotel with the charm of a British pub. The cliff top position makes for stunning views. Chic white washed rooms mix traditional features with modern simplicity. Hearty gastro-pub styled food is served at the restaurant. A glorious spa. An excellent choice for a family holiday. See More
Prince Hall Devon 9 rooms from £176Sights nearby - Go and visit local sights such as Lydford Castle and Castle Drogo.Great walks - Go for lovely walks in the surrounding countryside.Restaurant - Seasonally changing menuFull of character
Arundell Arms Hotel Lifton, Devon 21 rooms from £160Foodies - Award winning restaurant, run by famed head chef Steven Pidgeon- plus a fine wine list and spectacular service.Active Holiday - Perfect for an active holiday with plenty of fishing, walking and shooting available in the local area.Great walks - Close to Dartmoor - true definition of English countryside, with plentiful walks for all levels of commitment.Fishing - On a 20 mile stretch of the River Tamar with private fishing rights and equippment for guests.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A truly English hotel overlooking Dartmoor, close to the Cornish border. Beautiful gardens, sloping down to the river, with an award winning fishing school. Spacious and comfortable rooms with sleek country house interiors. Dine on local produce at the award winning restaurant. Bliss. See More
Royal Castle Hotel Dartmouth (Devon) 24 rooms from £180Local exploring - Perfectly placed in the heart of Dartmouth with many of its attractions within walking distance.Great walks - Find glorious walks in the surrounding countryside with trails suitable for gentle walks or more challenging hikes.Sights nearby - Visit the imposing Dartmouth Castle, just a short stroll from the property.Sailing - Take a cruise along the river on a coal-fired paddle steamer.
A traditional hotel boasting a fabulous location overlooking the River Dart and just steps from the castle. Elegant rooms are traditionally dressed with antique furniture, patterned wallpaper and chandeliers. An atmospheric fire lit restaurant specialises in grills. A charming stay. See More
Mill End Hotel Chagford (Dartmoor) 21 rooms from £150Fishing - Upper Teign Fishing Association has six miles of fishing for brown trout, sea trout and salmon.Restaurant - 2AA rosettes serving modern British cuisine and fresh seafoodSights nearby - Visit Castle Drogo, Fernworthy Resevoir and Buckland AbbeyGreat walks - The hotel is surrounded by scenic walking trails.Recommended by - Sawdays
Lovely hotel and restaurant nestled in the beautiful Teign Valley; open log fires and cosy interiors makes this the most welcoming place to come back to after a day exploring Dartmoor. Enjoy delicious afternoon tea and gastronomic delights for dinner in the 2AA rosette restaurant. Dog friendly too. See More
Horn of Plenty Hotel Tavistock (Gulworthy) 16 rooms from £130Groups - If you want your own country house just for the weekend then this is the place for you. Exclusive use is avaliable.Foodies - The award winning restaurant tantalises your taste buds with its locally sourced, seasonal and inventive menu.Great walks - With all of Dartmoor on your doorstep there is no excuse for sitting inside.Sights nearby - Dartmoor National Park and The Eden Project are both nearby.Recommended by - Sawdays
Ilsington Country House Devon 25 rooms from £140Spa breaks - A country house and contemporary spa which uses the latest technology alongside touches of ancient Tibetan knowledge.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolViews - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A quintessentially British country house set in beautiful, rugged Dartmoor. Charming rooms feature soft hues, tartan fabrics and sink-into beds. A fabulous restaurant (using the freshest local produce) and indulgent spa are a welcome respite after a day spent on the moors. See More
Lewtrenchard Manor Devon 10 rooms from £165Fishing - The Arundell Arms in Lifton has fishing rights on the river TamarGreat walks - Ask the hotel for a map of Dartmoor and its many walking trailsSights nearby - The Eden project is well worth a visitRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Fodors, Sawdays
A Jacobean manor house, dating back to the 16th century, with all the modern comforts as well as oak panelled hallways, open fire places and manicured gardens. Rooms are decorated with antique pieces. The restaurant, including nine course tasting menu is a must try. A popular wedding venue. See More
The Salty Monk Sidmouth, Devon 7 rooms from £159Country Escape - A relaxing rural property surrounded by the natural riches of East Devon.Great walks - Take long walks along the beautiful Jurassic coastal path.Sights nearby - Visit the majestic Exeter Cathedral.Restrictions on children - Adult only
An award winning restaurant and adjoining B&B set in the pretty town of Sidmouth. Rooms vary between uber contemporary - think in-room glass screened bathrooms - and a little more on the country chic side. The fabulous restaurant serves up exemplary fare using seasonal produce. See More
Tarr Farm Inn EXMOOR, Devon 9 rooms from £150Back to Nature - A pretty farmhouse in the rugged landscapes of Exmoor.Birdwatching - With 243 species residing in the region bird watchers will be in paradise.Great walks - Discover the beautiful moorland on long walks.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Gidleigh Park Hotel Chagford 24 rooms from £270Fishing - Fly fishing on the River Teign - licenses and tuition providedGarden - Beautiful landscaped gardenGreat walks - There are inumerable lovely walking trails both on thr 107 acres of mature grounds and on nearby Dartmoor.Tennis - On site tennis cpurts are avaialble for guests useage.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays
Super luxurious and pampering Dartmoor retreat, on 107 acres of mature grounds. The plush rooms come with antique furnishings, original art and huge sash windows. The Michelin stared food is served in an atmospheric and grandiose dining room. Peaceful, restful and totally heavenly. See More