The 11 best luxury hotels in Devon
For a luxurious UK break, there are few better places than Devon. Boasting both easy access from London and a wide range of landscapes from coast to moors this county has, unsurprisingly, developed an excellent luxury hotel market. Our experienced gurus have scoured Devon's luxury offerings to bring you the best of the best. Whether you are in search of a property where you can partake in rural pursuits or you would rather a relaxing spa break, we have something for every occasion. So why not browse through our collection of the best luxury hotels in Devon and start planning your escape?
For rural chic
- The Pig at Combe is Devon's outpost of the ever-popular Pig collection. Renowned for its restaurant that only uses locally grown produce (much of which comes from the property), its pampering Potting Shed spa, and its perfectly crafted rustic chic design. A property bound to please.
For country pursuits
- Hotel Endsleigh is an historic shooting lodge set in expansive grounds. Interiors are grand and traditional while the activities offer a real slice of quintessential British rural life. Whether fishing, shooting, horse riding or hunting is your thing, there is plenty to keep busy with here.
For a seaside stay
- Orestone Manor is an elegant Georgian manor house hotel overlooking Lyme Bay. Beautiful interiors are filled with antiques, there's a superb restaurant, and manicured lawns. A charming spot for a coastal weekend away.
- Sidmouth Harbour Hotel is a nautically-inspired hotel set on the famed Jurassic Coast, offering both a superb restaurant and an indulgent spa. The winning location makes this a great choice for walkers keen to explore the coastal pathways.
- Lympstone Manor is a Grade II listed country house set on a hill surrounded by gorgeous countryside on the coast of Exmouth. Interiors are luxurious and there's a Michelin starred restaurant too. An indulgent coastal escape.
For the gastronomy
- Kentisbury Grange is a beautifully converted manor house, situated in pretty gardens on the edge of Exmouth National Park. Rooms are chic and contemporary (complete with roll-top baths). Beyond its style and location, it is the restaurant that really draws people here, headed by Michelin-starred chef Michael Caines.
- Gidleaigh Park Hotel is a luxurious and pampering Dartmoor retreat set on 107 acres of mature grounds. Interiors are grand and traditional while the renowned restaurant is as good as you've been told!
For the design
- Glazebrook House Hotel is a surprisingly slick Dartmoor offering. Featuring artfully designed rooms and an excellent restaurant, this is perfect for people looking for a hip luxury base from which to explore Devon.
For a boutique stay
- Southernhay House is an adults-only boutique hotel set in the heart of Exeter. Choose this property for the chic bedrooms whose design sees a contemporary spin on traditional style and feature utterly indulgent bathrooms. A great pick for a romantic city break.
For a spa
- Boringdon Hall is a grand country house located next to Dartmoor National Park. Indulgent rooms reflect the building's original style and the best have free-standing baths. Partake in an array of country pursuits and unwind in the state-of-the-art Gaia spa.
- Salcombe Harbour Hotel is a coastal hotel located just outside picturesque Salcombe. A place to come and truly indulge; from the in-house cinema to the first-class spa this is a wonderfully rejuvenating stay.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Devon?
- Or you could refine your search to our Guru's recommendations for the best boutique hotels in Devon, or the most romantic hotels in Devon, or the best hotels on Dartmoor?
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Pig at Combe Honiton, Devon 27 rooms from £145Exclusive offer - Complimentary upgradeFishing - On the river Otter, plus the kitchen will cook whatever you catch for you!Great walks - Fabulous walking both on the doorstep and further afieldSights nearby - Just 5 mins from Honiton and 15 mins from ExeterViews - Great views from hotel
The newest addition to the Pig collection, at the Pig at Combe you'll find the trademark country chic interiors, 25 mile locally sourced menu in the restaurant, potting shed pampering, lovely gardens and gorgeous views over the surrounding area. Come for a chilled country escape. See More
Hotel Endsleigh Milton Abbot, Devon 18 rooms from £190Exclusive offer - Three for TwoFamilies - Babysitting and monitors available plus such delights as picnics (complete with lanterns and blankets) in the grounds.Honeymoons - Fairytale suites, gourmet cuisine, cosy fireside sofas and incredible grounds for strolling hand in hand- enchanting!Country Escape - Extensive grounds for fishing, shooting, and rambling, plus plenty of comfy armchairs for the weary walker!Sights nearby - The National Trust and its stately homes make for a great day exploring - Cothele House, Saltram House and Castle Drogo.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Historic shooting lodge offers an intimate, Olga Polizzi styled stay. Relax in the stunning grounds or in the library. Beautiful rooms overlook the valley and stretch of private river. Italian meets Spanish cuisine with Jose Graziosi's delicious dishes. Good for outdoor-types and families. See More
Orestone Manor Hotel Torquay (South Devon) 11 rooms from £110Great walks - Exe Estuary boasts miles of cycle and foot paths, exceptional views, beauttiful sandy beaches and is teeming with wildlife.Private Hot Tub - Book the Garden Suite for your own private terrace with outdoor hot tub and wonderful sea views.Sights nearby - Torre Abbey and The Agatha Christie Mile are both nearby and great informative day trips!Birdwatching - Explore Dartmoor National Park and see a wide variety of rare birds and butterflies.Recommended by - Frommers
Kentisbury Grange North Devon 16 rooms from £130Foodies - Boasting an award winning restaurant headed by Michelin-starred chef Michael Caines.Country Escape - A charming rural property in the pretty county of Devon.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the pretty coastal villages of Lynton and Lynmouth.Great walks - Explore the miles of trails that run through Exmoor National Park.
Kentisbury Grange, a converted manor house, situated in pretty gardens on the edge of Exmouth National Park. Rooms are contemporary in style with crisp white linen, roll-top baths and soft hues. Boasting a superb restaurant by Michelin-starred chef Michael Caines. The ideal country escape. See More
Glazebrook House Hotel South Brent, Devon 9 rooms from £135Great walks - Dartmoor National Park is full of wonderful walking routes.Sights nearby - Take a visit to Totnes Castle.Restrictions on children - Adult only.Romantic - Good for couples.
Chic and sleek are probably not the words people associate with Dartmoor but they certainly fit the bill at Glazebrook House Hotel. Featuring wonderfully designed rooms and an excellent restaurant, it's perfect for people looking for a hip base from which to explore Devon. See More
Southernhay House Exeter (South Devon) 10 rooms from £150City Style - A chic townhouse with an excellent central location.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Exeter Cathedral dating back to 1400.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
A chic adults only boutique property located in the heart of Exeter. Smart rooms feature soft hues, enormous sash windows and spacious contemporary bathrooms - the best have free standing baths. And The Club Room offers all day dining. The ideal base from where to explore the city. See More
Boringdon Hall Hotel Plymouth (South Devon) 40 rooms from £155Spa breaks - Unwind in the state-of-the-art Gaia spa, one of the best in Devon.Great walks - Spend days exploring the rugged countryside of Dartmoor National Park.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolRestrictions on children - Adult only
A five star Country House and spa located next to the beautiful Dartmoor National Park. Smart rooms perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles, the best featuring heavy four posters and in-room free standing baths. An extensive spa and innovative restaurant make this a very special stay. See More
Sidmouth Harbour Hotel Sidmouth (South Devon) 57 rooms from £205Country Escape - A country house boasting a location on the spectacular Jurassic Coast, ideal for a rural getaway.Sights nearby - Visit Sidmouth's interesting Norman Lockyer observatory.Great walks - Take long walks along the Jurassic Coast.Kayaking - Explore the coast from the sea by kayak.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
A nautically inspired hotel set on the famed Jurassic Coast. Light and airy rooms are decorated with soft hues and have floor to ceiling windows (the best are sea facing). Boasting both a spoiling spa and an excellent restaurant serving British classics. A fabulous spot for a weekend getaway. See More
Gidleigh Park Hotel Chagford (Dartmoor) 24 rooms from £270Fishing - Fly fishing on the River Teign - licenses and tuition providedGarden - Beautiful landscaped gardenGreat walks - There are inumerable lovely walking trails both on thr 107 acres of mature grounds and on nearby Dartmoor.Private Hot Tub - Book the best room in the house for a private roof top hot tub!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays
Super luxurious and pampering Dartmoor retreat, on 107 acres of mature grounds. The plush rooms come with antique furnishings, original art and huge sash windows. The Michelin stared food is served in an atmospheric and grandiose dining room. Peaceful, restful and totally heavenly. See More
Salcombe Harbour Hotel South Devon 50 rooms from £295Suites - All rooms come with 'balcony baskets' with binoculars throws and books, complimentary gin and sherrySit-out Terrace - Wonderful terraces with sunloungers and glorious views of the harbour, estuary and out to sea.Restaurant - The Jetty Restaurant is both chic and family friendly with mouthwatering seafood lunch barParking - Cars are left on the hotel state of the art turntable and valet parked!
On the edge of bustling and picture postcard Salcombe this stunning newly refurbished boutique hotel has everything one could wish for. Magnificently situated, overlooking the estuary with its sailing boats, sandy beaches and a short walk into town. Wonderful terraces, spa and pool, cinema. Bliss See More
Lympstone Manor South Devon 21 rooms from £350Foodies - The acclaimed chef Michael Caines is in charge of the cuisine at Lympstone Manor and produces absolutely splendid dishesCountry Escape - Forget about all your worries at this pampering and indulgent rural spotGreat walks - With 28 acres of garden leading down to the foreshore of the Exe estuary there are many beautiful walksTraditional