The 9 best luxury hotels in Devon
For a luxurious UK break, there are few better places than Devon. Boasting both easy access from London and a wide range of landscapes from coast to moors this county has, unsurprisingly, developed an excellent luxury hotel market. Our experienced gurus have scoured Devon's luxury offerings to bring you the best of the best. Whether you are in search of a property where you can partake in rural pursuits or you would rather a relaxing spa break, we have something for every occasion. So why not browse through our collection of the best luxury hotels in Devon and start planning your escape?
For country pursuits
- Hotel Endsleigh is an historic shooting lodge set in expansive grounds. Interiors are grand and traditional while the activities offer a real slice of quintessential British rural life. Whether fishing, shooting, horse riding or hunting is your thing, there is plenty to keep busy with here.
For a seaside stay
- Orestone Manor is an elegant Georgian manor house hotel overlooking Lyme Bay. Beautiful interiors are filled with antiques, there's a superb restaurant, and manicured lawns. A charming spot for a coastal weekend away.
- Sidmouth Harbour Hotel is a nautically-inspired hotel set on the famed Jurassic Coast, offering both a superb restaurant and an indulgent spa. The winning location makes this a great choice for walkers keen to explore the coastal pathways.
- Lympstone Manor is a Grade II listed country house set on a hill surrounded by gorgeous countryside on the coast of Exmouth. Interiors are luxurious and there's a Michelin starred restaurant too. An indulgent coastal escape.
For the gastronomy
- Kentisbury Grange is a beautifully converted manor house, situated in pretty gardens on the edge of Exmouth National Park. Rooms are chic and contemporary (complete with roll-top baths). Beyond its style and location, it is the restaurant that really draws people here, headed by Michelin-starred chef Michael Caines.
- Gidleaigh Park Hotel is a luxurious and pampering Dartmoor retreat set on 107 acres of mature grounds. Interiors are grand and traditional while the renowned restaurant is as good as you've been told!
For a boutique stay
- Southernhay House is an adults-only boutique hotel set in the heart of Exeter. Choose this property for the chic bedrooms whose design sees a contemporary spin on traditional style and feature utterly indulgent bathrooms. A great pick for a romantic city break.
For a spa
- Boringdon Hall is a grand country house located next to Dartmoor National Park. Indulgent rooms reflect the building's original style and the best have free-standing baths. Partake in an array of country pursuits and unwind in the state-of-the-art Gaia spa.
- Salcombe Harbour Hotel is a coastal hotel located just outside picturesque Salcombe. A place to come and truly indulge; from the in-house cinema to the first-class spa this is a wonderfully rejuvenating stay.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Devon?
- Or you could refine your search to our Guru's recommendations for the best boutique hotels in Devon, or the most romantic hotels in Devon, or the best hotels on Dartmoor?
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel Endsleigh Tavistock 19 rooms from £250Families - Babysitting and monitors available plus such delights as picnics (complete with lanterns and blankets) in the grounds.Honeymoons - Fairytale suites, gourmet cuisine, cosy fireside sofas and incredible grounds for strolling hand in hand- enchanting!Country Escape - Extensive grounds for fishing, shooting, and rambling, plus plenty of comfy armchairs for the weary walker!Sights nearby - The National Trust and its stately homes make for a great day exploring - Cothele House, Saltram House and Castle Drogo.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Historic shooting lodge offering an intimate, Olga Polizzi styled stay. Relax in the stunning grounds or in the library. Beautiful rooms overlook the Tamar valley and river. Excellent restaurant, and immaculate staff. Probably one of the best in the South West. See More
Kentisbury Grange North Devon 16 rooms from £130Foodies - Boasting an award winning restaurant headed by Michelin-starred chef Michael Caines.Country Escape - A charming rural property in the pretty county of Devon.Great walks - Explore the miles of trails that run through Exmoor National Park.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the pretty coastal villages of Lynton and Lynmouth.
Southernhay House Exeter (Devon) 10 rooms from £150City Style - A chic townhouse with an excellent central location.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Exeter Cathedral dating back to 1400.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
A chic adults only boutique property located in the heart of Exeter. Smart rooms feature soft hues, enormous sash windows and spacious contemporary bathrooms - the best have free standing baths. And The Club Room offers all day dining. The ideal base from where to explore the city. See More
Boringdon Hall Hotel Plymouth 40 rooms from £155Foodies - Serious foodies will not be disappointed with the 3AA Rosette fine dining restaurant AcleafSpa breaks - Unwind in the state-of-the-art Gaia spa, one of the best in Devon.Restaurant - Choose between the stunning fine dining or more relaxed Mayflower BrasserieGreat walks - Spend days exploring the rugged countryside of Dartmoor National Park.
A five star Country House and spa located next to the beautiful Dartmoor National Park. Smart rooms perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles, the best featuring heavy four posters and in-room free standing baths. An extensive spa and innovative restaurant make this a very special stay. See More
Sidmouth Harbour Hotel Sidmouth (Devon) 57 rooms from £205Country Escape - A country house boasting a location on the spectacular Jurassic Coast, ideal for a rural getaway.Sights nearby - Visit Sidmouth's interesting Norman Lockyer observatory.Great walks - Take long walks along the Jurassic Coast.Kayaking - Explore the coast from the sea by kayak.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
A nautically inspired hotel set on the famed Jurassic Coast. Light and airy rooms are decorated with soft hues and have floor to ceiling windows (the best are sea facing). Boasting both a spoiling spa and an excellent restaurant serving British classics. A fabulous spot for a weekend getaway. See More
Gidleigh Park Hotel Chagford 24 rooms from £270Fishing - Fly fishing on the River Teign - licenses and tuition providedGarden - Beautiful landscaped gardenGreat walks - There are inumerable lovely walking trails both on thr 107 acres of mature grounds and on nearby Dartmoor.Tennis - On site tennis cpurts are avaialble for guests useage.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays
Super luxurious and pampering Dartmoor retreat, on 107 acres of mature grounds. The plush rooms come with antique furnishings, original art and huge sash windows. The Michelin stared food is served in an atmospheric and grandiose dining room. Peaceful, restful and totally heavenly. See More
Salcombe Harbour Hotel Devon 50 rooms from £295Suites - All rooms come with 'balcony baskets' with binoculars throws and books, complimentary gin and sherrySit-out Terrace - Wonderful terraces with sunloungers and glorious views of the harbour, estuary and out to sea.Restaurant - The Jetty Restaurant is both chic and family friendly with mouthwatering seafood lunch barParking - Cars are left on the hotel state of the art turntable and valet parked!
On the edge of bustling and picture postcard Salcombe this stunning newly refurbished boutique hotel has everything one could wish for. Magnificently situated, overlooking the estuary with its sailing boats, sandy beaches and a short walk into town. Wonderful terraces, spa and pool, cinema. Bliss See More
Lympstone Manor Exmouth, Devon 21 rooms from £495Golf - If you fancy a round then you have the option of playing at the Budleigh Salterron, Woodbury Park or Exeter Golf & Country ClubFoodies - The acclaimed chef Michael Caines is in charge of the cuisine at Lympstone Manor and produces absolutely splendid dishesWine tasting - Discover the art of wine at their cellar, with over 600 bins and exclusive tasting sessions in a setting of rustic charmHotel Entertainment - Unwind in the Georgian splendor with afternoon tea, surrounded by contemporary comfort and historic eleganceRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith