The 8 Best Family Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh is a great choice for a family break with activities to suit all ages. Whether it's exploring the famous castle, climbing Arthur's Seat or visiting Edinburgh Dungeons - the city is undoubtedly one of the great culture centres of Europe. It also has an eclectic range of hotels from all-out luxury options to chic contemporary boutiques. Our hotel experts have hand-selected their favourite hotels for families across the city including historic grand dames, twee Edwardian townhouses and some great self catering options too. So why not browse through our collection of the best family hotels in Edinburgh to start planning your next trip?
- The grand dame of Edinburgh's hotel scene, The Balmoral is one of the most kid-friendly hotels in Edinburgh. This gorgeous, opulent Edwardian hotel has got it all: a whiskey bar and spa for the adults, and a Michelin-star restaurant and swimming pool for all the family. The rooms are spacious, family-sized affairs and cots are available too.
- One of the most stylish family hotels in Edinburgh, The George really goes the extra mile: interconnecting rooms, welcome packs and kids menus at the superb restaurant. This gracious neoclassical hotel also has roof terrace affording some of the best views around, plus, a cafe and brasserie that will delight all the family!
For a boutique
- Dunstane Houses is a great hotel for families in Edinburgh. Chic and yet homely, the warm, heathery and tweedy tones of the spacious rooms are perfect for families. A plush, stylish 5-star set in two Victorian townhouses, expect nothing less than stunning hospitality at this lovely little boutique.
For Self Catering
- The Rutland is a small, swanky, centrally placed hotel. The luxury self-catering apartments are great for families - particularly the two-bed suites. A glamorous hotel filled with baroque thrones and black chandeliers, the four-posters are a particular highlight.
For a country house
- With the huge variety of room types to choose from, Norton House Hotel & Spa is a great choice for families in Edinburgh. On the outskirts of the city, this charming country house boasts two restaurants, a large heated indoor pool and pampering spa. Plus, rolling parkland in which the kids can run about.
For value chic
- Elegant, traditional and utterly homely, The Edinburgh Residence is a classy baronial West End townhouse and one of the most value-chic family hotels in Edinburgh. From the treasure trove of books to the games room, it's a kid-friendly stay complete with afternoon tea in the drawing room! The suites sleep up to 4 and have kitchenettes - perfect for a family holiday.
- Kids have a wild time at 94 DR. This chic, sleek 5-star offers a family suite complete with bunk room, Xbox, toy chest and DVD player. Egyptian cotton sheets, animal hides and a friendly teddy bear also make it one of the best family hotels in Edinburgh.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Edinburgh;
- Or check out our collections of the Best Hotels in Edinburgh’s New Town or the Best Edinburgh Hotels with Pools;
- Have a look at this list of the best hotels in Edinburgh's Old Town or West End;
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our Gurus for advice.
The Balmoral Edinburgh 168 rooms from £208Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Edinburgh Castle and the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.Great walks - Walk to the summit of Calton Hill and enjoy the panoramic views.Views - Wonderful city views towards Arthurs Seat.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Quietly confident, stylish, sophisticated and efficient.THE place to stay in Edinburgh. Part of Rocco Forte Collection and boasting a Michelin starred restaurant, comprehensive spa and over 150 bedrooms. The old railway hotel transformed into a grande dame. True indulgence. See More
The George Edinburgh 249 rooms from £120Romantic Break - Luxuriously decked out rooms, superb restaurant and bar, plus excellent central location, make it great for a romantic getawayFamilies - Interconnecting rooms, welcome gifts, kids menus - just some of the perks for familiesCity Style - Sophisticated, elegant and stylish a chic city centre optionRestaurant - The Printing Press Restaurant serves classic dishes using the best Scottish ingredients
The personification of opulence, The George combines grand luxury with a modern sleekness to create a superb hotel right in the centre of Edinburgh. Its location is unbeatable with all of the city's main attractions a short walk away. Perfect for an indulgent weekend in Edinburgh. See More
The Dunstane Houses Edinburgh 35 rooms from £164Exclusive offer - 10% off City BreakSights nearby - Easy access to all of Edinburgh's top attractions including the Royal Mile, Old Town and Prince's StreetRestaurant - Ba'Bar and Lounge, fine Scottish dining with a touch of Orkney!Great walks - Climb Arthur's seat for a great view over the city and beyond.Designer - Uniquely designed interiorsRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith
In a peaceful corner of Edinburgh’s West End, a short walk from Haymarket and 15 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh airport, The Dunstane Houses is an independent, 5 star VisitScotland 35-bedroom boutique hotel spread over two stately Victorian townhouses on opposite sides of the road. See More
The Rutland Hotel Edinburgh 12 rooms from £135Lively - Hip and happening.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.BoutiqueRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh (Ingliston) 83 rooms from £120Families - There's a wide range of accommodation options, plus fab swimming pool & plenty of choice for kids on the menusBusiness Hotel - Great for business travellers as it's only 2 miles from Edinburgh AirportRestaurant - 3 AA Rosette fine dining in Ushers Restaurant or brasserie for a more relaxed mealSights nearby - A short bus ride from all of Edinburgh's major attractions
The Edinburgh Residence Edinburgh 29 rooms from £99Families - Townhouse suites can sleep up to four and have kitchenettes for those who want to stay inLocal exploring - A great launchpad to explore the stunning streets of Scotland's capital.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile.Views - Great views across Dean Village from the Drawing Room
94 DR Edinburgh 7 rooms from £80Families - The family suite comes complete with bunk room, Xbox, toy chest and DVD player!Value chic - Beautifully done contemporary rooms which offer amazing value for moneyBoutique - Individually designed rooms offer contemporary style alongside period Victorian featuresViews - Some of the rooms boast excellent views of Arthur's Seat and Salisbury CraggsRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide