- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Cool London Hotels on a Budget
Cool and affordable design hotels with vibrant colour, clever use of space and all the tech. trimmings are becoming more and more popular, but they’ve been slower to come to London than to other European capitals. But they are coming, joining the ranks of modern boutique style hotels and some funky business hotels in our Guru’s list of cool London hotels on a budget.
Our Gurus have a few recommendations for cool London hotels on a budget close to the centre of town, but a good way to tick the budget box is to head away from the parts of town most tourists are familiar with. Hip hotels are popping up in areas where the cool kinds hang out, like Hoxton, Shoreditch, Bethnal Green and tech-central: Clerkenwell. And London’s public transport system is pretty quick and reliable.
There are even some great offerings further out. Soho House’s sister, High Road House in Chiswick for example - and it’s still less than half an hour from the centre of town by tube. We’ve grouped our Guru’s recommendations for cool London hotels on a budget by theme rather than by location, so there’s cool for couples, cool design and even cool for under £100 per night.
Cool London Hotels on a Budget
Cool London City Break Hotels on a Budget
- Trendy, arty, fun luxury brand citizenM's London branch, citizenM Bankside easily makes the list of the cool London hotels on a budget, with its prices starting at £99 per night. Here living spaces are large and beautifully designed, and sleeping spaces are small but with every comfort. As well as the in-room-tablets which you can use to control everything - from the lighting to the temperature, citizenM has powerful rain showers, large beds with luxury linens, free wifi and free movies on demand and lots of modern art on display.
- The South Place Hotel is a cutting edge City hotel with a Michelin starred restaurant on the roof, a lively bar, a gym, spa and 80 super chic rooms and suites.
- Clerkenwell’s Zetter Hotel has been wonderfully converted from a Victorian warehouse into a 59 room hotel with fun design details and heaps of character.
- The London Bridge Hotel is basically a stylish business hotel, which also offers great rates for leisure tourists. The decor is coolly monochrome and there are excellent facilities for business travellers - like three restaurants and a gym, but the location is also great for exploring London.
- The Hotel Verta in Battersea, just across the river from Chelsea and Fulham, is a modern hotel with an award winning spa and hydrotherapy pool. It has 70 rooms and great views. Great for the Tate Britain.
Cool London Design Hotels on a Budget
- Town Hall is Bethnal Green's stark, Edwardian municipal Town Hall, turned cool design hotel with a heart. There are 98 rooms, some of which have their own kitchens. Though there's also an acclaimed modern restaurant. They've added a pool and spa in a glass top floor. But they've kept the tea lady, who now delivers cocktails to the rooms between six and eight.
- K West is a great glass concoction right by Olympia and Shepherds Bush. This is a big hotel, with more than 200 rooms, so it’s also got good facilities, like a subterranean spa and an indoor hydrotherapy pool.
Cool London Hotels Outside Zone 1
- Wimbledon’s Dog and Fox is a stylish pub now offering accommodation in 17 newly-and-quirkily renovated rooms. Let the photos do the talking for this one.
- The Hoxton Hotel uses the same pricing model as Easyjet - the earlier you book the less you pay - and prices start from just £119 per night. The similarity to the airline stops there, The Hoxton Hotel definitely has designer frills. This is a purpose built, modern building with all the stylish comforts you can imagine. The huge ground floor has a shop, sitting room, bar, restaurant, internet cafe, two blazing fires, and of course, the reception. So it gets used by locals as well as visitors, creating a buzzy atmosphere.
- Qbic London is the newest addition to the cool budget hotel gang. Here you'll find super comfy beds and minimalist furnishings all within spitting distance of Brick Lane. And the best bit? Rooms start from just £69 per night.
- High Road House is Soho House's 'out-of-town' cousin, which is hardly out-of-town at all, on bustling boutique-y Chiswick High Road. The brasserie is big with the locals so it's a buzzy place to hang out. The 14 all white wood rooms are definitely chic and boutique, and guests are able to use the member's facilities as well. Chiswick is green as well as smart, and only about 30mins from the centre of town by tube.
- Hotel 55 in Ealing Common is a hip boutique style hotel with contemporary Japanese design and 29 good sized rooms. There’s a Japanese restaurant, plus a terrace and garden.
Cool London for Couples
- The Mayflower Hotel in Earls Court has 48 rooms, with prices starting from just £115 per night, so that takes care of the budget. The 'cool’ is taken care of with an Indian flourish. The best value rooms are the smallest, but every room is decorated with Indian fabrics, artefacts and carved wood furniture and blinds.
- The Artist Residence London in Pimlico is a ten room Regency property packed with beautiful details and antiques. Each room has been individually styled and filled with interest and there’s a popular restaurant.
- Baby Abode Sydney House Hotel has recently had a chic makeover, upgrading the comfort of the beds, the quality of the linen, the smartness of the decor and the technology. Their excellent location in Sydney Street, between the Kings Road and Fulham Road, the gorgeous views from the roof terrace and the prices - which start from £125 per night, haven't changed.
- The Rockwell Hotel doesn’t compromise on location. Close to all the museums of South Kensington, it has an elegant restaurant and bar, and a gym too. The Rockwell is a perfect example of a 'no frills' hotel where they in fact do have the frills that really matter to most people.
Cool London Hotels for Under £100 per Night
- The Church Street Hotel in Camberwell has a colourful Mexican theme, with 31 light, cheerful rooms and a great bar and tapas restaurant. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- The The Tommyfield in Kennington is a great pub which has just opened up six bedrooms. The decor is simple, the pub is great, the location is good and there’s entertainment downstairs in the pub as well as food and drink. Rooms start from just under £100 per night.
If you haven’t found your perfect cool London hotel on a budget on our Guru’s list, you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in London,
- consider including the best boutique hotels in London in your search,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Cool London Hotels on a Budget
The Zetter Hotel 59 rooms from £135London
In the heart of trendy Clerkenwell, this ultra-stylish hotel appeals to wannabe hipsters looking for a design-conscious cocoon in the heart of London's coolest quarter.Local markets - Borough Market is a great place to go in the weekend to browse the food stalls.Sights nearby - Tower of London next to the famous Tower Bridge is a memorable day trip.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
London Bridge Hotel 138 rooms from £216London
Stylish business hotel, popular with tourists, in prime Southwark river location offers gym facilities and modern features. Chic rooms are luxurious with all the needed mod-cons. Londinium restaurant offers British cuisine, or head to the Quarter Bar and Lounge for drinks and casual small plates.Exclusive offer - Great Weekend DealsSights nearby - The view from the Shard, Tower Bridge and the Tower of London for medieval history.Local markets - Borough Market is a popular food market with Londoners and tourists alike.Great walks - Good for walkers.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Frommers
citizenM Bankside 192 rooms from £99London
Trendy, contemporary "luxury for less" hotel on London's Southbank. Ideal for arty types, with iconic Vitra furniture throughout, modern art on display and a stone's throw from the Tate. Tablets in every room for mood control and a host of other goodies thrown in with the price.Sights nearby - Very close to Tate Modern and the Millenium BridgeLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
Town Hall 98 rooms from £148London (Bethnal Green)
Clever redesign of a stark Edwardian municipal building into a cool design hotel with a heart. Viajante restaurant is a foodie favourite.Designer - Designed by top architects RareSwimming Pool - Calm rooftop poolSpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Frommers, Johansens, Kiwi Collection
Hotel Verta 70 rooms from £130London (Battersea)
Modern hotel with blissful beds and a fantastic little spa thrown in. Riverside location next to Battersea Heliport, a quick hop across the river from Fulham and Chelsea hotspots. Great for a city break and won't break the bank.Sights nearby - Easy access to the best of London with free shuttle service to either Sloane Square or Clapham JunctionSpa - Award winning spa with hydrotherapy poolSwimming Pool - Indoor hydrotherapy poolViews - Great views from hotel
K West 219 rooms from £130London (Shepherds Bush)
Cool modern hotel just a credit card’s throw from Westfield shopping centre. Spacious rooms in classy muted tones, a compact subterranean spa, and recently refurbished public rooms, including a buzzing bar and lounge, make it perfect for out-of-town shoppers and those craving an urban spa break.Sights nearby - Hop on the tube at Shepherds Bush for easy access to all major attractionsSpa - Subterranean spa with wide range of therapies and pampering on offerSwimming Pool - Indoor hydrotherapy poolLively - Hip and happening.
Qbic Hotel 171 rooms from £69London
Distinctive but simple, clean and modern hotel with quirky minimalist furnishings and good amenities. Appropriately arty spot from which to explore one of London's most cultured, multi-ethnic and inexpensively fashionable new areas.City - Well located in LondonSights nearby - All of London's highlights are easily accessible. Close to the trendy Brick LaneLively - Hip and happening.Quirky - An experience!
The Hoxton Hotel 208 rooms from £119London
This stylish City hotel fits right in to the vibrant East London scene, with the perfect mix of style and attitude. Modern minimalist rooms with garden views and unique touches. The Hoxton Grill, a local favourite is well worth checking out. Unbeatable location.Local exploring - Check out the buzzy restaurants and bars, vintage shops and yummy food markets of East London.City Style - A understated yet chic hotel in hip Hoxton- home to artists, city slickers and students.Sights nearby - Nearby Liverpool Street is where you will find the Gherkin, the Shard and other skyscrapers that make up The City's skyline.Local markets - Spitalfields Market is a great place for food stalls, boutique shops and the early risers might catch the flower market.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Hotel 55 29 rooms from £108London
One of a new breed of hip 'off centre' boutique-style hotels. With Japanese contemporary design, decent size rooms, private balconies, terrace garden and great prices. Momo Japanese Restaurant is well worth checking out for its authentic cuisine and warm atmosphere.Value chic - Stylish interiors, secluded balconies, personal service, trendy bar and delicious food- all for a totally reasonable price!Great walks - Ealing Common is a hub of activity in the summer, and all year round is home to walkers, joggers and roller bladers.Local markets - Ealing Broadway has a wonderful weekly market that's well worth checking out.Lively - Hip and happening.
The Dog and Fox 14 rooms from £154London (Wimbledon)
Located in the heart of Wimbledon Village, this stylish pub offers 17 newly renovated rooms. Friendly staff and luxurious beds promote a relaxed atmosphere, emphasising the peaceful area of London in which it is located. All rooms are en suite. The restaurant offers a delicious food range.Sights nearby - Inc. Wimbledon Tennis ClubTraditional
Artist Residence London 10 rooms from £160London
Respectable Pimlico Regency property from the outside; full of fun, character and antiques inside. Individually decorated rooms & bathrooms are of a good size and filled with oddities. Popular restaurant 'Cambridge Street Kitchen' where the food is as immaculate as the rooms. A design lovers dream!Great walks - Through nearby Hyde Park, London's largest park, where one can go horse riding, boating, cycling and picnicing.Sights nearby - The London Eye, The Tower of London, Buckingham Palace and St Paul's Cathedral are all within easy reach.Views - Great views from hotelLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays, I Escape
Baby Abode Sydney House Hotel 21 rooms from £214London (South West)
A pretty little grade II listed townhouse, with a chic new makeover, in the popular residential borough of South Kensington. Compact, modern rooms at attractively affordable prices and prime positioning for Chelsea shopping. Breakfast only restaurant, however there are plenty to try nearby.Local exploring - Outstanding location, within walking distance of several tube stops, plus a multitiude of major sights and museums.Romantic Break - Choose the romantic 'Top Room' with private rooftop garden, chic interiors and sweeping views of the city.Great walks - Spend a lazy afternoon in nearby Hyde Park or Kensington Gardens, ideal locations for walking and picnics.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accomadated at this hotel.
High Road House 14 rooms from £140London
Soho House's Chiswick outpost brings the contemporary-chic of their other properties to this leafy residential area in West London. Crisp white and wood make up the guest rooms, add a splash of vibrant colour, a buzzy bar and restaurant and you have the perfect stay.City Style - Oozing city style with a private members club, effortlessly chic interiors, lively bar and a wonderful location.Local markets - Chiswick is its own town within the city of London and there is a market on the common every weekend.Great walks - Enjoy a stroll along south-side of the Thames Embankment for some of London's most notable views.Designer - Ilse Crawford was the original designer.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
South Place Hotel 80 rooms from £136London (The City)
A super trendy hotel with cutting edge design in East London. Michelin star restaurant on the roof top, lively bar, gym and spa, and uber chic rooms and suites with all the mod cons. A great choice for a taste of London's more quirky side.Foodies - Roof top Michelin star restaurant.Roof terrace - Trendy roof top bar with views.Views - Great views from hotelCity StyleRecommended by - Tablet
The Tommyfield 6 rooms from £99London (Kennington Cross)
Brand-new bedrooms set in a fashionable pub just 10 minutes from central London via tube. Excellent pub menu, recently opened accommodation and evening entertainment including stand-up comedy make this an enticing property for those seeking London chic without a huge price tag.Quirky - Live comedy on Thursdays.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Church Street Hotel 31 rooms from £90London
This wonderfully vibrant Mexican themed hotel is a shining light in Camberwell. Bright, cheerful rooms are full of character and thoughtful touches. Make sure you sample the to die for tapas, as well as the knockout cocktails in the Havana Lounge. A new wave of affordable and stylish hotels.Exclusive offer - London bargainCity Style - A totally unqiue experience with quirky and meticulously thoughtout design, bold colours and unique charm.Value chic - Excellent value for money- top quality service, decor, cuisine and vibes for a reasonable price tag.Local markets - Borough Market on the weekend is a fantastic food heaven with stalls from all over Europe and places to catch a quick bite.Great walks - South London is full of parks, walk ways and beautiful buildings full of history.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors, Good Hotel Guide
The Rockwell Hotel 40 rooms from £145London (South West)
Townhouse turned contemporary independent hotel in West London is great value for its central location, landscape garden and facilities. Modern, light rooms make the perfect base for exploring the city or visiting on business. Modern British dishes at the airy restaurant matched by a fine wine list.Exclusive offer - Save 30%Value chic - With double rooms starting from just £145 per night, it's great value for moneyLocal exploring - Location Location Location!Local markets - Earls Court is home to a local market as well as boutique shops and independent cafe.Sights nearby - Natural History Museum welcomes visitors with the skeleton of a dinosaur.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Good Hotel Guide
Mayflower Hotel 48 rooms from £113London (South West)
Nestled in the borough of Kensington and Chelsea, just next to Earls Court, this Indian infused 4* boutique is a mix of home comforts and style. Great base for restaurants, tourist attractions and the parks of London. Enjoy breakfast in the courtyard, and then hop on the tube for a day of exploring.Local exploring - The borough of Kensington and Chelsea offers a multitude of designer shopping, culture and dining.City Style - Vibrant Eastern design meets chic Western style- in an unbeatable location.Lively - Hip and happening.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Johansens