The 10 Best Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds
Depending on the way you speak the Cotswolds are ‘gorgeous’, ‘delightful’ or simply ‘beautiful’. Some people gush about the colour of the stone against the lush green of the gently rolling hills, some people are enchanted by the villages, which look like something out of a mythical Ye Olde Merrie England and some people just want to get lost in the views. Pint in hand or not. Basically this is a really peaceful and beautiful looking part of the world, and its popularity and rural charm mean it’s where you’ll find some quintessential county house hotels. So our Guru’s recommendations for the 10 best country house hotels in the Cotswolds also includes some of the best country house hotels in the UK
Because there’s plenty to choose from, our Guru’s collection of the 10 best country house hotels in the Cotswolds is in useful groups, so you’ve got the most romantic country house hotels, the best value country house hotels and the best country house hotels in the Cotswolds for walkers, for example. Hopefully that will help you find the property that’s perfect for you. And hopefully solve one of the main problems with visiting the Cotswolds: finding a hotel and not being overcharged for your room.
The 10 Best Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds
The Most Romantic Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds
- Barnsley House is an imposing house set within stunning grounds. There are 18 rooms and suites, which have been delightfully decorated so that they’re light and airy, as well as having all the mod. cons.. There’s also an indulgent spa and a restaurant serving great British cuisine.
- Foxhill Manor is a Grade II listed manor house with just eight stately bedrooms and suites. Idyically located near Chipping Campden, this is a luxurious property with an easy atmosphere.
- The Lords of the Manor Hotel is an elegant country manor in classic honey-coloured stone. There are 26 spacious rooms and suites, a Michelin-starred restaurant, a lake and a beautiful walled garden.
- The Dormy House is a place of oak beams, beautiful panelling and open fires, but they’ve been used in a contemporary way and the interiors are stylish and comfortable. There’s a pool and spa and great family facilities. A wonderful bolthole, especially if you’re looking for something romantic but child friendly.
The Best Country House Hotel Escapes in the Cotswolds
- The Painswick is a lovingly restored 18th century manor boasting ornate Rococo gardens and 16 lovely bedrooms. The decor feels very countrified, but there’s a very modern spa and an excellent restaurant.
- Buckland Manor is a charming, 13th century manor house with 13 graceful rooms and beautiful views across the Cotswold escarpment. The restaurant has won awards and the ten acre grounds are picturesque. This is the kind of place where you want to dress for dinner.
- Cowley Manor is a contemporary-chic manor house on 55 beautiful acres of Cotswold countryside. This is the perfect escape for stressed urbanites, with two pools, a gym, an award-winning modernist spa, beautiful grounds and even a ‘lifestyle shop’.
The Best Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds For Walkers
- The Dial House Hotel in pretty Cotswold classic, Bourton on the Water, was an elegant 17th century mansion before it became a charming, 14 room hotel - the premium rooms have four-poster beds and roll-top baths. The interiors are stylish, yet traditional and there’s an award-winning restaurant.
Our Favourite Country House Hotels with Hot Tubs
- Lower Slaughter Manor is an elegant country manor escape with just 19 rooms and suites. The garden suites have their own hot tubs. The manor has beautiful gardens, lawns perfect for croquet and tennis, opulent pubic spaces and a gourmet restaurant. It’s classic country house hotel stuff.
- The Manor House Hotel has been converted from a 16th century manor house in the centre of picturesque Moreton in Marsh. There are 35 rooms and suites, some with their own private hot tubs and one with its own private garden! There’s also an award-winning fine dining restaurant and a less formal bar and brasserie.
If you like the sound of these properties then you might want to consult our Guru’s recommendations for hotels with hot tubs in the Cotswolds.
The Best Value Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds
- The Hare and Hounds Hotel on the edge of Tetubry is a traditional feeling country house hotel with 19 freshly refurbished rooms and suites and a popular local restaurant and pub. Rooms start from around £100 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best country house hotels in the Cotswolds on our Guru’s list of the 10 Best Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds you could:
- Consult our Guru's list of all the best places to stay in the Cotswolds?
- Or consider our Guru’s recommendations for the 12 of the Most Romantic Hotels in the Cotswolds? or our Guru’s collection of the 10 Best Hotels with Hot Tubs in the Cotswolds?
- Or you could refine your search to just the best places to stay in Chipping Campden? or the best places to stay in Stow-on-the-Wold?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The 10 Best Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds
Barnsley House Cirencester (Barnsley) 18 rooms from £299
An imposing Cotswold house set within stunning (deservedly famed) gardens. Gorgeously renovated rooms are light, airy and full of mod cons. The chic modern interiors, indulgent spa and contemporary British cuisine make it hard to leave! A popular rural escape for urbanites.Romantic Break - A stately home with indulgent chic interiors- think dual baths, large suites and a pampering spa.Country Escape - A rural abode on another level, the ultimate luxury getaway in stunning surrounds.Great walks - This area is littered with beautiful walks, ask at the front desk to be pointed towards a favourite.Cooking classes - The nearby reputed Foodworks Cookery School offers a number of different classes for various levels.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Foxhill Manor Broadway (The Cotswolds) 5 rooms from £295
Private manor-house hotel in the Cotswolds, with eight stately bedrooms and suites. A Grade II listed manor offering pure luxury served with heartfelt personal service and an easygoing at-home atmosphere. 24 hours a day service from a personal host. Hundreds of country activities.House party feel - Exclusive Hire available5* Luxury - Very high service standards.LuxurySights nearby - Explore the chocolate box villages and pretty historic towns of the CotswoldsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Lords of the Manor Hotel Upper Slaughter, The Cotswolds 26 rooms from £199
Elegant but understated country manor. Honey-coloured stone, parkland, walled garden & lake. Michelin-starred restaurant, spacious bedrooms.Restaurant - Michelin-starredGarden - Attractive outside space.Views - Great views from hotelFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - Frommers, Sawdays, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Dormy House Broadway, The Cotswolds 38 rooms from £210
Newly refurbished country house hotel in the heart of Cotswold country. Oak beams, wooden panelling and open fires complement stylish modern interiors, with tablets as standard for every room, and great facilities for families. Fantastic bolt hole for a pampering country weekend.Spa - Award winning spa featuring a wide range of treatments and therapies plus terrace hot tub and thermal suite.Sights nearby - The Cotswolds are on your doorstepSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - I Escape
Buckland Manor Buckland nr Broadway, The Cotswolds 13 rooms from £195
Charming 13th Century manor house, steeped in tradition, on the edge of the Cotswold escarpment. Graceful rooms exude comfort and a timeless elegance. Dress for dinner in the award-winning seasonally inspired restaurant. Explore the beautiful grounds and countryside,Country Escape - Read by the roaring fire, try your hand and tennis and croquet or simply wander the grounds- an ideal country retreat.Great walks - Wander by the river and through the ten acres of beautiful gardens, or head down to the village for a pint.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of characterRecommended by - Frommers, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Cowley Manor nr Cheltenham, The Cotswolds from £250
A contemporary-chic manor house set on 55 beautiful acres, in the Cotswold countryside. Trendy rooms mix the best of both worlds, with original sash windows, high ceilings and fireplaces mixed with sleek handmade modern furnishings and bold colour combos. A sophisticated, fun country escape.Spa - Wide range of treatments using Green & Spring products.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor heated pools.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - 55 acres of parkland surround the proerty with natural springs, lakes, and Victorian cascades.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
The Painswick Painswick, Stroud, The Cotswolds 16 rooms from £149
Following a loving restoration, this 18th century abode has been catapulted into the 21st century. Sixteen lovely rooms with original features decorated in soft hues and country style. Rejuvenate in the Spa, relax by a roaring fire and feast in the excellent restaurant. A gorgeous relaxing getaway.Total relaxation - Uncommonly comfortable rooms, roll-top baths, squishy sofas, fantastic food and massages and facials to boot!Country Escape - Located in the quaint village of Painswick, with lovely walks and stunning views.Sights nearby - The ornate Painswick Rococo Gardens are within walking distance.Great walks - Across the village green to your new local: The Falcon Inn.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Dial House Hotel Bourton on the Water, The Cotswolds 14 rooms from £140
Elegant 17th century mansion turned hotel in a very pretty classic Cotswold village overlooking the river. The interiors are traditional yet stylish. Premium rooms feature four poster beds and roll top baths. The cuisine is award winning. Ideal for that country get away.Country Escape - A traditional property, perfect for a cosy weekend away, with great walking around the picteresque Cotswolds.Sights nearby - Model Village is situated just behind the hotel and entertains both children and adults alike.Birdwatching - Birdland has over 500 species to spot set in beautiful surrounds.Restrictions on children - Children over 10 onlyRecommended by - Frommers, Sawdays
Lower Slaughter Manor Lower Slaughter, The Cotswolds 19 rooms from £195
Lower Slaughter Manor is beautiful, but relaxed and unstuffy with it. The 19 rooms are all different, some featuring four-poster beds and stand alone baths, some with bold wallpaper and colourful fabrics, so consider a few before you make your choice. The restaurant serves gourmet meals.Private Hot Tub - If you book a garden suiteSecluded setting - For escaping.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
Manor House Hotel Moreton in Marsh, The Cotswolds 35 rooms from £159
16th century manor house in the centre of picturesque Moreton in Marsh. Classic yet contemporary rooms and Apple Cottage Suite with its own private garden and hot tub. Award winning fine dining. A chic yet relaxed spot and ideal base for exploring the Cotswolds.Sights nearby - Moreton in Marsh is the perfect base for exploring the Cotswolds, Bath or Oxford.Private Hot Tub - If you book the Apple Cottage SuiteFour poster beds - Some rooms feature four poster bedsTraditional
Hare and Hounds Hotel Tetbury, The Cotswolds 42 rooms from £125
The Hare and Hounds is a traditional Cotswold country house hotel. The newly refurbished rooms and suites have an air of elegance and surround a delightful courtyard. The restaurant's creative menu is popular with locals and visitors alike. The best in comfort with its own country pub.Local markets - The historic Cotswold market town of Tetbury is only two miles away.Private Hot Tub - Two suites feature private hot tubsSights nearby - Highgrove House is just a mile awayHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.