The 10 Best Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds
Depending on the way you speak the Cotswolds are ‘gorgeous’, ‘delightful’ or simply ‘beautiful’. Some people gush about the colour of the stone against the lush green of the gently rolling hills, some people are enchanted by the villages, which look like something out of a mythical Ye Olde Merrie England and some people just want to get lost in the views. Pint in hand or not. Basically this is a really peaceful and beautiful looking part of the world, and its popularity and rural charm mean it’s where you’ll find some quintessential county house hotels. So our Guru’s recommendations for the 10 best country house hotels in the Cotswolds also includes some of the best country house hotels in the UK
Because there’s plenty to choose from, our Guru’s collection of the 10 best country house hotels in the Cotswolds is in useful groups, so you’ve got the most romantic country house hotels, the best value country house hotels and the best country house hotels in the Cotswolds for walkers, for example. Hopefully that will help you find the property that’s perfect for you. And hopefully solve one of the main problems with visiting the Cotswolds: finding a hotel and not being overcharged for your room.
For a romantic stay
- Barnsley House is an imposing house set within stunning grounds. There are 18 rooms and suites, which have been delightfully decorated so that they’re light and airy, as well as having all the mod. cons.. There’s also an indulgent spa and a restaurant serving great British cuisine.
- The Lords of the Manor Hotel is an elegant country manor in classic honey-coloured stone. There are 26 spacious rooms and suites, a Michelin-starred restaurant, a lake and a beautiful walled garden.
For a complete escape
- The Painswick is a lovingly restored 18th century manor boasting ornate Rococo gardens and 16 lovely bedrooms. The decor feels very countrified, but there’s a very modern spa and an excellent restaurant.
- Buckland Manor is a charming, 13th century manor house with 13 graceful rooms and beautiful views across the Cotswold escarpment. The restaurant has won awards and the ten acre grounds are picturesque. This is the kind of place where you want to dress for dinner.
- Cowley Manor is a contemporary-chic manor house on 55 beautiful acres of Cotswold countryside. This is the perfect escape for stressed urbanites, with two pools, a gym, an award-winning modernist spa, beautiful grounds and even a ‘lifestyle shop’.
- Burleigh Court is situated in the heart of the Cotswolds amid beautiful walking country. It offers a range of charming rooms and suites, award-winning dining, views to die for, six dog friendly rooms and wonderful walking straight from the door.
Country House Hotels with Hot Tubs
- The Manor House Hotel has been converted from a 16th century manor house in the centre of picturesque Moreton in Marsh. There are 35 rooms and suites, some with their own private hot tubs and one with its own private garden! There’s also an award-winning fine dining restaurant and a less formal bar and brasserie.
If you like the sound of this property then you might want to consult our Guru’s recommendations for hotels with hot tubs in the Cotswolds.
For great value
- The Hare and Hounds Hotel on the edge of Tetubry is a traditional feeling country house hotel with 19 freshly refurbished rooms and suites and a popular local restaurant and pub. Rooms start from around £100 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best country house hotels in the Cotswolds on our Guru’s list of the 10 Best Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds you could:
- Consult our Guru's list of all the best places to stay in the Cotswolds?
- Or consider our Guru’s recommendations for the 12 of the Most Romantic Hotels in the Cotswolds? or our Guru’s collection of the 10 Best Hotels with Hot Tubs in the Cotswolds?
- Or you could refine your search to just the best places to stay in Chipping Campden? or the best places to stay in Stow-on-the-Wold?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The 10 Best Country House Hotels in the Cotswolds
Burleigh Court Stroud, Gloucestershire 18 rooms from £159Country Escape - With its charming country-style interiors, jaw dropping views, great food and location, it's perfect for a rural getawayLocal exploring - Ideally positioned for getting out and about in the CotswoldsViews - Panoramic views over the surrounding Cotswolds countrysideFoodies - The excellent restaurant has been awarded 2 AA Rosettes
A charming 19th century grade II listed manor house in the heart of the Cotswolds. Rooms and suites are done in country-chic style but with welcome modern accessories including power showers and soaking tubs. Excellent 2 AA Rosette restaurant, plus mature gardens and views to die for. Country bliss! See More
Barnsley House Cirencester (Barnsley) 18 rooms from £299Romantic Break - A stately home with indulgent chic interiors- think dual baths, large suites and a pampering spa.Country Escape - A rural abode on another level, the ultimate luxury getaway in stunning surrounds.Great walks - This area is littered with beautiful walks, ask at the front desk to be pointed towards a favourite.Cooking classes - The nearby reputed Foodworks Cookery School offers a number of different classes for various levels.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
An imposing Cotswold house set within stunning (deservedly famed) gardens. Gorgeously renovated rooms are light, airy and full of mod cons. The chic modern interiors, indulgent spa and contemporary British cuisine make it hard to leave! A popular rural escape for urbanites. See More
Lords of the Manor Hotel Upper Slaughter, The Cotswolds 26 rooms from £199Restaurant - 3 AA Rosette winning restaurantGarden - Attractive outside space.Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalRecommended by - Frommers, Sawdays, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Buckland Manor Buckland nr Broadway, The Cotswolds 13 rooms from £195Country Escape - Read by the roaring fire, try your hand and tennis and croquet or simply wander the grounds- an ideal country retreat.Great walks - Wander by the river and through the ten acres of beautiful gardens, or head down to the village for a pint.Tennis - Make the most of the on site tennis court, an ideal way to work off lunch!Restaurant - 3 AA RosettesRecommended by - Frommers, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Cowley Manor nr Cheltenham, The Cotswolds from £250Spa - Wide range of treatments using Green & Spring products.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor heated pools.Great walks - 55 acres of parkland surround the proerty with natural springs, lakes, and Victorian cascades.Sights nearby - Visit the "Venice of the Cotswolds" the village of Bourton on Water.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
A contemporary-chic manor house set on 55 beautiful acres, in the Cotswold countryside. Trendy rooms mix the best of both worlds, with original sash windows, high ceilings and fireplaces mixed with sleek handmade modern furnishings and bold colour combos. A sophisticated, fun country escape. See More
The Painswick Painswick, Stroud, The Cotswolds 16 rooms from £149Total relaxation - Uncommonly comfortable rooms, roll-top baths, squishy sofas, fantastic food and massages and facials to boot!Country Escape - Located in the quaint village of Painswick, with lovely walks and stunning views.Sights nearby - The ornate Painswick Rococo Gardens are within walking distance.Great walks - Across the village green to your new local: The Falcon Inn.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Following a loving restoration, this 18th century abode has been catapulted into the 21st century. Sixteen lovely rooms with original features decorated in soft hues and country style. Rejuvenate in the Spa, relax by a roaring fire and feast in the excellent restaurant. A gorgeous relaxing getaway. See More
The Slaughters Manor House Lower Slaughter, The Cotswolds 19 rooms from £195Tennis - Court onsiteCooking classes - Check for timings.Secluded setting - For escaping.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
The Slaughters Manor House is beautiful, but relaxed and unstuffy with it. The 19 rooms are all different, some featuring four-poster beds and stand alone baths, some with bold wallpaper and colourful fabrics, so consider a few before you make your choice. The restaurant serves gourmet meals. See More
Manor House Hotel Moreton in Marsh, The Cotswolds 35 rooms from £159Sights nearby - Moreton in Marsh is the perfect base for exploring the Cotswolds, Bath or Oxford.Restaurant - The Mulberry Restaurant has two AA rosettesPrivate Hot Tub - If you book the Apple Cottage SuiteFour poster beds - Some rooms feature four poster beds
Hare and Hounds Hotel Tetbury, The Cotswolds 42 rooms from £125Romantic Break - With lovely rooms and superb food, this is ideal for romance. Book the Magnolia Suite for your private outdoor hot tubLocal exploring - Tetbury is a great base for exploring the CotswoldsRestaurant - Fine dining in the Beaufort Restaurant which has been awarded 2 AA RosettesLocal markets - The historic Cotswold market town of Tetbury is only two miles away.
The Hare and Hounds is a traditional Cotswold country house hotel. The newly refurbished rooms and suites have an air of elegance and surround a delightful courtyard. The restaurant's creative menu is popular with locals and visitors alike. A smart but relaxed getaway amid stunning countryside. See More