20 Best Hotels in Maine with a Pool
Maine’s coastline is famously varied and beautiful, but it’s certainly not always conducive to swimming. It was one of our Gurus who pointed this out, having been asked multiple times for a recommendation for a hotel in Maine with a pool. There are plenty of great replies to this question, and we’ve included twenty here, including a hotel with a gorgeous roof terrace pool, and couple of huge resort pools, and a few pools cut into the coastline itself — pools with a view. Our list of the best hotels in Maine with a pool also includes some fantastic family holiday options, and a couple of romantic retreats too.
For the Album
- Cliff House Maine is a luxurious, clifftop resort, set on seventy acres of land overlooking the ocean outside Ogunquit. There are more than 200 rooms and suites, and a large number of them have panoramic ocean views and private balconies, as do the four dining venues, the vast spa, and both indoor and outdoor pools. This resort is so large and luxurious that there’s really plenty for everyone to enjoy.
For the Views
- The West Street Hotel has one of the coolest pools on our list: a rooftop pool with a view of Bar Harbor’s marina. There’s also a bar and restaurant on the roof. Many of the hotel’s 85, nautical themed rooms and suites benefit from water views too, and several have private balconies. Guests also have access to the spa and tennis courts at the Bar Harbor Club. The rooftop pool is adults only, but there some great family-sized suites, and a welcoming pub.
- York’s Viewpoint Hotel is one of the smallest recommendations on our list of the best hotels with pools in Maine, which is worth noting because there are only nine rooms sharing the saltwater, heated pool — though some of those rooms are moult-bedroom suites. Some of the other noteworthy things about this hotel are its location, overlooking the ocean, with only grass and glass as an obstruction, and that guests are welcomed at a beach club associated with a sister property.
On the Waterfront
- The Claremont in Southwest Harbor, is an historic, waterfront inn turned family-friendly resort, with chic accommodation in the original inn, and in a charming collection of lodges and cabins in the grounds — the largest has seven bedrooms. The views are incredible, over stunning Somes Sound, and all around are mature gardens and sweeping lawns. There are two restaurants, though some of the accommodation is self-catering. And there’s lots and lots to do onsite and in the area.
- Blackpoint Inn is a small inn, with fantastic bay views, and a country club feel: think a smart, fine dining restaurant, a chic pool, and golf club access. One of the best things about this inn is that it’s on a stretch of land with water on three sides, so all of the 25 rooms and suites have water views, and some come with a private balcony or terrace too.
- The Smugglers Cove Inn is idyllically positioned on a waterfront plot just outside Boothbay Harbor. A collection of 50 rooms and suites surrounds a central pool and green lawns. All the rooms have been recently renovated and decorated with a fresh, nautical theme, and feature private balconies or patios, and enough beds to sleep four. You can see the sea from the pool, and from the snack bar, and the kids’ playground.
- The Nonantum Resort is right on the Kennebunk River, in a beautifully converted former captain’s home. Since the home became a hotel in 1883 outbuildings and new-builds have been added to the main house, so that there are now 109 rooms and suites, including huge family suites. The decor is pleasingly nautical, to match the resort’s heritage, and there are three restaurants. The pool is set in the gardens, which is also where you’ll find the fire-pits that host the regular campfire sing-alongs, plus there’s a croquet pitch, lawn bowls and other garden games on offer, not to mention the kids club!
- Sitting on the outskirts of Kennebunkport, The Lodge on the Cove is a collection of just four lodges, which house accommodation for 30 groups or individuals, in a range of rooms and suites that’s designed to provide flexibility for families of all shapes and sizes. There’s a retro feel to the decor, which runs to the activities too, with regular campfire nights — complete with s’mores — a games room, movie nights, kids’ crafting and an ‘all-American’ restaurant that the younger family members will love.
For New England Chic
- The Colony Hotel is another family-friendly hotel in a picturesque, waterfront position, this time overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and the Kennebunk River in Kennebunkport. White-painted wood, a red roof with a tower, and a grandly pillared entranceway, decorate the facade of these 125 rooms and suites, and there are two private cottages in the grounds, with three and five bedrooms. The pool overlooks the private beach, and is surrounded by lawns, and there’s lots and lots to do, both on and off land.
- With a long, elegant, New England style facade facing the ocean, the Inn by the Sea is a great water-view pick, because many of its 61 rooms and suites can see the sea, with large windows, balconies and terraces. There’s a resort vibe, with resort-style activities on offer, like early morning yoga classes, garden tours, nightly fire pits, a spa, and a large and lovely pool.
- Boothbay Harbor’s Spruce Point Inn is a classic New England coastal resort, offering a beautiful bar, lush gardens, and accommodation ranging between the white clapboard inn, and multi-bedroom lodges and rustic cabins. It has two pools, including one just by the water, and a choice of four places to dine. It’s also got an impressive spa, and lots of facilities and activities running onsite.
- The Anchorage by the Sea is a large, waterfront resort in Ogunquit, offering accommodation that ranges from simple rooms, to stand-alone cottages and condos with the option to self-cater. The facilities are scaled to match the number of rooms and villas, so the outdoor pool is huge, and there’s an indoor pool too, plus a sauna and hot tub, a bar and two restaurants. And it’s all surrounded by gardens. Ogunquit is known for its sandy beaches, and there’s a beautiful one just a few minutes' walk from the resort.
- The Linekin Bay Resort is a small, picturesque waterfront resort in the typical New England style: think painted timber facade, a nautical theme, and a jetty in pride of place. There’s a good range of accommodation on offer, ranging from rooms in the main building, to multi-bedroom cabins and small private lodges, all scattered over the twenty acres of grounds. There’s lots to do for all the family, on land and sea, including a great kids club, and relaxed restaurant.
For a Waterfront Retreat
- The Newagen Seaside Inn is a peaceful, New England charmer in a quietly idyllic spot outside Southport. With a white-board facade, and large windows and verandahs, this is the perfect place for relaxation, but also great for destination for walking (there's a number of nature trails through the grounds), fishing and rowing (because you’re just steps from the beach), and the large lawns are well set for croquet or bowling. There are just 35 rooms and suites, with some great family-sized options, and excellent facilities for kids.
- The 26 room White Barn Inn is idyllically positioned on the Kennebunk River, just outside Kennebunkport, and surrounded with picturesque views. The inn has been converted from a 140 year old barn, and there’s a charmingly rustic feel, which would be cosy at Christmas, and a beautifully landscaped pool that makes it feel breezy in summer. There’s also an excellent spa and restaurant.
- The Cape Arundel Inn & Resort is a 30 room resort in an enviable spot overlooking Walker’s Point, Kennebunkport. Here the traditional New England style ranges from the white board exterior to the cosily luxurious interior, where you’ll find art depicting lobsters, cosy throws, wooden fans, fireplaces, balconies, plump sofas and all sorts, because each of the rooms and suites has been uniquely decorated. The garden goes all the way to the cliff edge, and there’s a charming pool. Adults only.
- The Balance Rock Inn is an historic inn with all the antique trimmings, and a fantastic Bar Harbor location. There are just 27 rooms and suites, all individually decorated — some feature whirlpool and jetted baths — four-posted beds and fireplaces. The restaurant feels grown-up and special, and serves American cuisine with a Nordic twist. The pool is outdoor.
For a Beach Break
- The Inn at Diamond Cove is well positioned on Casco Bay, Portland, so that it overlooks the water, and has direct access to Pebble Beach. Just back from the water is the pool and Cabana Bar, complete with fire pits, and behind that there’s a collection of 44 rooms and suites decorated with plenty of New England charm. Many rooms feature kitchenettes. The inn has great facilities, especially considering its size.
New England Inns
- The Kennebec Inn is a charming, four room, New England style inn, set back from the water in historic Kennebec. The rooms are spacious, and decorated with a collection of antiques and a country chic feel, Athough there’s no restaurant, they offer a gourmet breakfast in the regally painted dining room. The pool is set on a grassy spot of garden.
For Great Value
- The Bar Harbor Grand Hotel is a fantastic old grand dame hotel on charming Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor. The facade is pleasingly wooden-clad, with large windows and elegant towers, and inside the 70 rooms and suites are charmingly traditional, from the plush green carpet to the ceiling fans and heavy wooden furniture. The location is central, the staff friendly, and the pool is a great addition.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse our recommendations for all the best places to stay in Maine
- Or just the best hotels in Maine on the beach, the best hotels in Maine for couples or families
- Or refine your search to particular parts of Maine, and seek out the best hotels in Bar Harbor, the best hotels in Southwest Harbor, Kennebunkport or Southport?
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Anchorage by the Sea Ogunquit 241 rooms from £85Families - Spacious two and three-bedroom condos and cottages are great, with fully-equipped kitchens, living areas and private decksBeach Life - The area excels in wide golden sand beaches, including one walking distance from the propertyRestaurant - Surf Point all-day resaurants serves classic Maine cuisine. 360 offers stunning sea views, cocktails and light bitesSwimming Pool - The property boasts adjacent large heated indoor and outdoor pools (both seasonal) with hot tub and whirlpool
Deluxe family-friendly resort minutes from the beach. Wide range of accommodation includes stand-alone cottages, condos and main house rooms. Large gardens, seafood restaurant and bar all face the ocean and there are indoor and outdoor pools, a sauna and hot tub. Fab for long sunny summer holidays. See More
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel Bar Harbor (ME) 70 rooms from £101Country Escape - A charming hotel with top class services on the beautiful Mount Desert Island, with access to Acadia National ParkGroups - With rooms that sleep up to four people the hotel is well equipped for groups of guestsGreat walks - This charming village offers very pleasant wandering opportunitiesRomantic - Good for couples.
A grand hotel in Bar Harbor, on charming Mount Desert Island. Comfortable and spacious rooms come with a deluxe breakfast in the excellent restaurant. The staff are welcoming and warm and the swimming pool is a great addition. With a central village location, a gym and hot tub they have it all. See More
Smugglers Cove Inn Boothbay Harbor 50 rooms from £110Total relaxation - Great option for those wanting to do very little; the perfect spot for days filled with sea, sand & sunsetsViews - The resort looks out over Linekin Bay with stunning sunset views from almost every roomFamilies - All room types sleep up to four people; kids under 5 stay for freeBeach Life - Enjoy relaxed summer days on the resort's scenic sandy beach
Family-friendly waterfront resort on an idyllic plot of land minutes from Boothbay Harbor. Recently renovated rooms feature fresh coastal decor and all have balconies. Enjoy the outdoor pool, sea-facing snack bar & kids' amenities. A great-value stay for all ages with a tranquil secluded feel. See More
Colony Hotel Kennebunkport 125 rooms from £129Restaurant - Two ocean view restaurants specialise in New England food with lobster available year round.Sights nearby - Visit nearby museums, theatres, lighthouses, the lobster tour, the trolley tour...Swimming Pool - Heated outdoor saltwater poolLocal markets - Weekly farmers' market
A picturesque family friendly hotel overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and Kennebunk River. Private beach, expansive lawns and gardens, large outdoor pool. Endless activities from surfing and kayaking to berry picking. Ideal for both a relaxing and active retreat in beautiful surroundings. See More
Kennebec Inn Bath, Maine 4 rooms from £129Active Holiday - Experience Freeport shopping, Rockland museums and Camden sailing via short trips through New England towns and seaside villagesLocal exploring - Located perfectly along Maine’s Mid-coast Route 1 corridor, Bath is the ideal location to explore all the Mid-coast regionGreat walks - Visit the coastal towns of Phippsburg and Georgetown to take in the pristine beaches or to hike to beautiful lighthousesFishing - Fish for striped bass and various types of trout common to the Kennebec
A charming coastal inn set in the heart of historic Kennebec. Rooms are elegant and spacious with a nautical theme, antique furnishings, four-poster beds and claw-foot tubs. Enjoy a delicious gourmet breakfast in the regal dining room. After a day of exploring, take a dip in the pool. A quaint stay. See More
The Nonantum Resort Kennebunkport (Maine) 109 rooms from £130Families - Kids will enjoy roaming the gardens, games and campfire sing-alongs. Parents can relax with on-site Kid's Club and babysittingBeach nearby - The resort offers rentals on all the beach equipment you will need for a day at Colony Beach, making packing light no problemActive Holiday - Find someone for everyone here: beach days, kayaking, paddle-boarding, sailing, walks, golf and exploring the beautiful areaWeddings - With a scenic water-front lawn, atmospheric fire-pits and plenty of room for marquees, this is ideal for a family wedding
Family resort located on the water in Kennebunk, Maine. A former captain's home, the property became a hotel in 1883. Spacious nautical-themed rooms are split between the 19th-century Carriage House and a newer block; many have river views. There are 3 restaurants, Kid's Club, pool and garden. See More
West Street Hotel Bar Harbor 85 rooms from £130Local exploring - Experience the best of both worlds: a chic town filled with restaurants & boutiques plus the wilderness of Arcadia National ParkRestaurant - Paddy's Pub & Restaurant - featuring Irish-American cuisine with a modern spinTennis - Play a match on one of the oceanfront courts at Bar Harbor ClubGreat walks - Acadia National Park has miles of well marked hiking trails
A luxury coastal hotel offering chic accommodation and on-point service. Spacious rooms have a subtle nautical theme and the best have superb sea views. A rooftop pool is a sleek adult-only space. Access the spa & tennis courts at Bar Harbor Club plus there is a lively pub & restaurant. Superb! See More
Newagen Seaside Inn Southport, Maine (Southport) 35 rooms from £136Back to Nature - Explore 20 acres of wooded oceanfront with the hotel bikes, or visit the family-friendly network of Nature TrailsRestaurant - Menus feature locally sourced meats, freshly caught Maine lobster and seafood, and farm stand produce.Views - The inn features breathtaking panoramic ocean viewsSecluded setting - For escaping.
A charming, idyllic inn, located just steps from the beach. Hiking, biking, rowing, swimming, fishing, bowling - the activities are endless. Rooms decorated in pastel shades have a nautical vibe, private terraces, and beautiful ocean views. Perfect for both an active and relaxing sea-side vacation. See More
Linekin Bay Resort Boothbay Harbor 72 rooms from £137Back to Nature - Surrounded by forest, garden & uplifting ocean views, the resort feels like a welcome retreat from the stresses of modern lifeWeddings - A great location for a laid-back outdoor wedding. The sprawling grounds, sea views and relaxed vibe make for a great comboFamilies - Multi-generational families will love the individual cabins, relaxed feel and opporunity to spend quality time togetherSights nearby - There are great day trips in the area like Boothbay Railway Village, Botanical Gardens, Maine State Aquarium & Mohegan Island
Relaxed and picturesque New England water-front resort comprising light-filled nautical rooms in classic Maine lodges & rustic multi-bedroom cabins scattered over 20 acres of grounds. Endless land and water activities, sea views, Kid's Club & ocean-facing restaurant. Wholesome family-friendly fun. See More
Balance Rock Inn Bar Harbor 27 rooms from £137Back to Nature - Overlooking Frenchman Bay and offering easy access to Acadia National Park - ideal for a break in natureRomantic Break - With in-room fireplaces and jetted tubs this is a perfect hideaway for couplesGreat walks - Take strolls along the historic Shore Path and spot turn of the century cottagesRestaurant - The Veranda serves New American cuisine with strong Nordic influences
A historic inn boasting an enviable coastal location in Bar Harbor. Elegant rooms are traditionally dressed with rich hues, antiques, and original fireplaces. Whirlpool tubs are a nice added touch. 'New American' cuisine with a Nordic twist is served in the restaurant. A grown-up and romantic stay. See More
The Lodge on the Cove Kennebunkport 30 rooms from £158Families - From a retro games room to s’mores around the campfire and then, of course, the pool - this is a very family friendly stayGroups - Rooms sleep up to five making this a great choice for small groups/familiesRestaurant - The all-American restaurant offers adult and children menusSwimming Pool - The gated outdoor pool is designed to be safe for kids
A family-friendly hotel occupying a peaceful location in Kennebunkport. The four lodges channel a subtle retro-chic vibe set in airy spaces with plenty of light. Room sizes vary to accommodate families. Expect activities galore from evening bonfires to board games, movie nights, and kids' crafts. See More
Viewpoint Hotel York, Maine 9 rooms from £168Eco break - There are many green practices in place including no single-use plastic, water-saving measures, extensive recycling & compostingTotal relaxation - Designed for stress-free holidays; there's everything you want on-site plus ocean and lighthouse vistas everywhere you lookGroups - There's a stand-alone three-bedroom 'Nubble' cottage which is perfect for groups with full kitchen and living areaSelf catering to rent - Suites have either kitchenettes or fully-equipped kitchens, plus dining areas
Intimate ocean-facing property with multi-bedroom suites. Contemporary in style, with plenty of glass to maximise views, fresh modern rooms still feel cosy, especially those with fireplaces. Enjoy the outdoor pool and water-front garden with beach club nearby. Seaside hangout for friends or couples. See More
Inn by the Sea Portland, Maine (Cape Elizabeth) 61 rooms from £171Restaurant - Spectacular views and menus featuring locally sourced produce with an emphasis on the catch of the daySights nearby - Crescent Beach State Park, Two Lights State Park, Cape Elizabeth Light...Secluded setting - For escaping.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Tablet
A luxurious oceanfront hotel. Modern, warm, and inviting. Breathtaking ocean views from rooms, which feature a smart, contemporary design. Activities include nightly fire pits, beachfront sunsets, early morning yoga and garden tours. Ideal for a stunning and elegant sea-side retreat. See More
Cape Arundel Inn & Resort Kennebunkport 30 rooms from £179Romantic Break - This adult only stay is ideally suited to couples. Imagine: evening fireside cocktails, beach walks, and fine diningFoodies - Fine New England dining with spectacular coastal views at Ocean Restaurant - worthy of a visit aloneSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor poolRestaurant - Ocean Restaurant
A traditional New England inn occupying an enviable spot overlooking Walker's Point. Elegant rooms feature wooden fans, antiques, and the best have fireplaces and balconies. The large coastal garden has a pool while Ocean Restaurant is a NE delight. Adult-only, this is a romantic escape. See More
The Inn at Diamond Cove Portland, Maine 44 rooms from £202Back to Nature - Explore the nearby scenic trails along the island or admire the seaviewsSights nearby - McKinley museum located on the islandViews - Great views from hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
In the heart of Casco Bay, this idyllic hotel offers a relaxing retreat with a smart outdoor pool and Cabana Bar. Beautiful sea views. Access to Pebble Beach and to miles of scenic trails. Full of historic character. Contemporary rooms with plush beds and flat-screen TVs. See More
Blackpoint Inn Portland, Maine (Maine) 25 rooms from £267Kayaking - Kayaking Equipment AvailableBirdwatching - Prouts Neck Bird SanctuaryTennis - Tennis Court AccessSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Fodors
An unpretentious and relaxed seaside hotel with a country club feel. Uniquely surrounded by water on three sides, Blackpoint Inn boasts magnificent sea views. Sophisticated and tasteful bedrooms and a smart, fine dining restaurant serving locally sourced seafood. Quintessential New England charm. See More
Spruce Point Inn Boothbay Harbor 83 rooms from £215Hideaway - Surrounded by wooded forest on a coastal outcrop and facing the ocean, it's easy to feel you're staying at the end of the worldTotal relaxation - While away days breathing in sea air, going for easy hikes, sun-bathing by the ocean-front pool or indulging in spa treatmentsFamilies - Suited to both adult families looking to spend quality time together & younger families with those who want to play all dayBack to Nature - Come here for sun, sea, sand and sky; even a short stay with prove a wonderful dose of nature's healing
Quintessential New England coastal resort. Rooms are split between a historic white clapboard inn & multi-bedroom lodges. Clean crisp interiors have a stylish nautical colour-scheme. Idyllic ocean-front location, 2 pools, 4 dining venues & endless activities make this ideal for summer holidays. See More
White Barn Inn Kennebunkport 26 rooms from £226Back to Nature - In an area famed for beautiful landscapes, the estate sits on the Kennebunk River minutes from some of Maine's best beachesActive Holiday - Kennebunkport is ideal for hikers, swimmers and those wanting to fish, canoe, horse-ride or paddleboardCountry EscapeTotal relaxationRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux
Charming inn on the Kennebunk River, an area famed for picturesque landscapes, close to some of Maine's best beaches. The rooms are rustic and traditional, many with fireplaces and marble bathrooms with whirlpool tubs. The 140-year-old barn houses a brilliant restaurant, and the spa is excellent. See More
The Claremont, Southwest Harbor Southwest Harbor 43 rooms from £230Families - Ocean House is brilliant for families with several bedrooms, panoramic views, full kitchen, living area, fireplace and deckLocal exploring - Complimentary use of bikes and golf carts is included. Head out to explore shops, restaurants & viewsTotal relaxation - A summer holiday haven for all ages with family rooms, impressive facilities and perfect locationRestaurant - Little Fern serves classic fare in friendly setting with fab views. Batson Fish Camp serves small plates on a private dock
Historic water-front hotel transformed into deluxe family-friendly resort. Wide range of accommodation includes main house rooms, suites, cabins and cottages. There's direct water access, pool, spa, restaurants, bars, large garden and lawn games. Views over stunning Somes Sound carry the wow factor. See More
Cliff House Maine Ogunquit 226 rooms from £329Spa breaks - The 9,000 square-foot all-encompassing cliff-top spa is a total haven of wellness. Bliss out in the ocean-facing relaxation roomTotal relaxation - Maine's famous blue skies and seas dominate every space leaving mind, body and soul recharged and relaxed after just a few daysRomantic Break - The perfect setting to celebrate something special; booking in for romantic dining, couple's spa treatment and sea-view suitesActive Holiday - Spend full days outside whatever the season; enjoy skiing, hiking, cycling, watersports, golf, sailing & swimming
Mega-luxe 70-acre cliff-top resort specialising in panoramic ocean views. Multiple dining venues, indoor and outdoor pools, sea-facing spa and a multitude of activities mean that every box is ticked. Sleek yet cosy rooms with fresh nautical touches are sublime. Works for both couples or families. See More