The 20 Best Wine Hotels in the Napa Valley
The Napa Valley is known the world over for its Cabernets, Chardonnays and spectacular sprawling wineries, but it’s also a sunny, foodie heaven, and an exceptional place to visit if you want to relax and treat yourself. And many of the best wine hotels in the Napa Valley offer pampering extras, like spa treatments, massages, winery tours and wine-matching menus to make the utmost of your stay. In our Gurus’ recommendations for the best wine hotels in the Napa Valley all the properties have a little something extra, with great picks for wine-loving romantics, foodies, photographers and spa lovers. There's five star luxury stays, properties set amongst the vines, and some charming inns and B&Bs too — in short something for all tastes and budgets! They’re also spread throughout the valley, from Napa to Yountville to St. Helena and Calistoga.
For the Album
- Built atop a 15,000 strong wine cellar, with incredible, panoramic vineyard views and the scent of olive groves, the Auberge du Soleil is a Napa Valley classic; a beautiful and luxurious boutique hotel, with 50 rooms and suites and a restaurant that’s renowned across the valley. The Auberge started out as a restaurant with rooms, and the food is still a key part of the offering, and the myriad of wines available to pair each meal with, but now that’s also a spa, yoga pavilion, pools, tennis courts, a gym and a wedding license. And the location, close to the Silverado Trail and gorgeous St. Helena, is ideal for exploring the whole region.
For the Vineyard Experience
- The Chateau de Vie is a peaceful, four bedroom chateau surrounded by lavender filled gardens, with grape rows beyond. The large rooms have wonderful views, plus the atmosphere of peace and tranquility space and views bring. There’s no restaurant, but they offer a gourmet breakfast, and will assist with transport around the area — whether you want to travel by horse, bike or foot. At the end of the day return for the pool and hot tub.
- The Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer is the perfect way to experience life on a vineyard — with all the views and tastings, but none of the actual work! There are 78 rooms and suites, all well proportioned; our favourites come with open fireplaces, polished parquet floors and vineyard views. The restaurant specialises in local produce, and there’s a large kitchen garden onsite to help with that. There’s also a spa, with both indoor and outdoor facilities, and pet-friendly rooms.
For the Views
- Las Alcobas Napa Valley is a villa resort hotel, that’s grown out of its original white-timbered, pillared mansion, and spread into a collection of contemporary buildings, with upmarket, California-style decor, and huge windows overlooking vine rows. There are 68 rooms, suites, apartments and villas, in a great range of sizes and styles. There’s also a very well equipped spa, with a sauna and gym attached, and a glamorous pool with incredible views. Las Alcobas also has an excellent restaurant.
- The Poetry Inn is a small boutique hotel on the Sliverado Trail just outside Yountville, overlooking the valley and rows of vines, from its hillside setting. Rooms and suites are large and light, with plenty of additional luxury and huge windows. There’s a spa onsite, and although there is no restaurant, the chef can arrange private dining experiences paired with local wines.
- Just a short walk from the centre of town, but sitting on five acres of garden, the Hotel Yountville is a European-chateau style design, with 80 rooms and suites and an extensive spa. The stone exterior, and use of natural resources inside, lend a cosy rustic chic feel to the spacious rooms and suites. And if you fancy a four-poster bed, a fireplace in your room, or a private terrace, there’s a room to suit you. The onsite restaurant is excellent — Yountville is a very foodie destination — and there are plenty of Michelin stars within walking distance. There’s also a spa with a sauna, and a pool and hot tub.
- The Milliken Creek Inn is an adults only inn on the banks of the Napa River, where they have a manicured riverside garden, and places to sit and sip. The inn has 12 rooms and suites, dressed in whites and greys, and exuding luxurious comfort from their plush linens, huge beds and large indulgent bathrooms. While there’s no restaurant, they do a lovely breakfast, and provide ‘magic hour’ cheese and wine every evening — which is another opportunity to test the local produce.
- Zinfandel’s Napa Farmhouse Inn is a warm and welcoming B&B, in a charmingly converted country house that makes the most of its rustic features, but mixes them with the sort of contemporary style you see in interiors magazines. There are just four rooms — some with fireplaces, some garden-facing balconies — and all with large bathrooms. There’s also a lounge, verandah, and a dining room, where breakfast is served.
Best Wine and Spa Hotels
- The Bardessono Hotel and Spa is a luxurious, and extremely eco-friendly spa, fuelled by geothermal springs that heat the rooms as well as the spa. Much of the hotel’s other energy comes from solar panels, which are an elegant design addition to the roof. And it’s not a small hotel, either, it has 62 rooms, suites and villas to serve — all with spacious bathrooms which are almost mini-spas — and an excellent restaurant. The hotel offers weekly wine tastings, and, being in the middle of Yountville, you’re within walking distance of a number of vineyards and cellars.
- The 89 room Solage Calistoga is billed as an ‘adult’s playground’, referring to the impressive list of facilities onsite — including a vast spa complex, a gorgeous lagoon pool, an impressive restaurant and cocktail bar, and complimentary bike hire, which is designed to ‘help’ with your wine tasting adventures. Though of course they offer plenty of tastings onsite too. And while it feels as if you’re a world away, you’re in Calistoga, close to the Silverado Trail.
For A Rural Retreat
- Cleverly converted from farm buildings, the The Carneros Inn offers accommodation in rooms, suites and cottages — with many offering private outdoor space — all done in agri-chic style. The lobby and restaurant are in a vast barn or silo, and there are two further restaurants (one on a hilltop overlooking rows of grapes), plus an award-wining spa, three outdoor pools with a view, and lush gardens all around. There’s plenty more to do onsite, they offer cheese-making classes, art classes and horse riding. And they can accommodate families of all shapes and sizes.
- The Rancho Caymus Inn is a small, Spanish mission style hotel in a prime Napa Valley position, close to Zinfandel, and surrounded by vineyards and wineries. The Rancho has 26 rooms and suites, in two storeys, arranged around a central courtyard with a pool. Each room has been individually designed and decorated, and include stained glass windows, beamed ceilings, tiled floors and antiques. There’s also a small spa. There isn’t a restaurant, but they do serve breakfast and ‘small bites’.
- The Wine Country Inn is a rural estate outside St. Helena, with vineyard and garden views in every direction. The inn has 29 spacious rooms and suites — all with huge floor-to-ceiling windows allowing in lots of natural light — or you can book a private cottage. You can bring your pet, but not your children. And while there’s no restaurant onsite they do offer breakfast, and there’s a heated outdoor pool and hot tub.
Stay in Town
- The Napa River Inn is a cheerfully decorated boutique hotel, in a buzzy neighbourhood right on the river in Napa town. Its 66 rooms and suites are decorated with old-fashioned, Victorian charm, but not too much of it to be chintzy; our favourite rooms have wonderful river views. The restaurant is Michelin rated, and there’s a chic bar, and a nightclub onsite. Stay here and you’re within walking distance of 20 tasting rooms, and a range of fantastic Napa restaurants.
- The bijou Wydown Hotel is perfectly positioned in central St. Helena, surrounded by fantastic bars and restaurants. Its 12 rooms and suites are simply, but carefully arranged and decorated, using a perfectly mismatched collection of contemporary furniture and art, with some quirky design ideas, and cool lighting. The friendly owner is often around for excellent personalised advice. There’s no onsite restaurant, but they offer breakfast in the dining room.
- Meadowood is a rather magical haven, on a thickly wooded plot of land in St. Helena, offering the feeling of rural seclusion, with wonderful valley views, while still being within walking distance of a number of wineries. Meadowood will also supply bikes, if you’d rather head out on two wheels, and arrange horses if you’d prefer to travel that way. If you’d rather not travel too far you can take advantage of the hotel’s golf course, complete with a pro, or its tennis courts, which also have a tennis pro to train you up. There’s also a spa, pool, a gym, croquet lawns, the sort of gardens you can get lost in, and an excellent restaurant. Meadowood has 85 rooms and suites, including some suitable for families.
- Maison Fleurie is a totally charming historic inn and B&B, in a collection of three stone buildings constructed in 1873, just a ten minute walk from the centre of Yountville. The 13 rooms and suites have a French country feel, with exposed wood beams and brick walls, floral fabrics and antiques. They also all have large windows and spacious bathrooms, and some are large enough for families.
- Eight cottages make up The Cottages of Napa Valley, offering the sort of hideaway-peace and tranquility worthy of a Hollywood star. Each cottage has a complete kitchen, plus sitting and dining area, and terraces with views. There’s no restaurant, but plenty of local choices. Some of the cottages are perfect for families, so long as your youngest child is 12 or over.
- Lavender is a charming, eight room B&B in Yountville, with plenty of colour and a Provençal feel — which is where its surrounding lavender gardens and the name come from. The rooms are all individually decorated, and range from really colourful, to soft neutrals, and every room comes with some sort of added extra, be it a private porch, a spa bath or hot tub. There’s a charming communal dining room style restaurant, and a boules pitch.
- Inn St Helena is a boutique inn in a central St. Helena spot, offering accommodation in a Cape Cod-style shuttered villa, and the smaller Cottage House, which is a bit more country chic. Each of the eight rooms are individually designed and decorated, and some have private outdoor space and self catering facilities. There’s no restaurant, but breakfast is included, and they offer complimentary wine tastings, with snacks, each evening.
Still not sure where to book?
- Expand your search to include our Guru’s list of the best places to stay in the Sonoma Valley
- or refine your search to the best places to stay in Napa, the best places to stay in Yountville, St. Helena, or Calistoga
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Auberge du Soleil St Helena (California) 50 rooms from £605Sights nearby - Napa Museum is small but worth a visit - exhibits local artists.Local markets - V Market has it all - food, wine, shops & entertainment.Tennis - Tennis court in the grounds.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet
The breathtaking views, olive groves and outstanding restaurant are reason enough to stay but add a pool, spa and prime location and you have the perfect A luxury boutique hotel. Rooms are luxurious from the linens to the bath soaps. 15,000 strong wine cellar, a renowned restaurant across the valley See More
Milliken Creek Inn Napa (California) 12 rooms from £160Romantic Break - Adults-only, with romantic spa treatments and facilities and nearby vineyards for wine-tastings- perfect for a romantic breakTotal relaxation - Unusual and luxury spa treatments on offer, beautiful gardens overlooking the Napa river, and peaceful surroundings.Great walks - Explore the garden and beyond.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This intimate adults-only inn is on the grassy banks of Napa River and the scenic Silverado Trail. The beautiful rooms boast stylish furnishings in white and greys, creating a sense of warmth and luxury. Fantastic gourmet breakfasts and a manicured riverside garden add to the idyllic setting. See More
Solage Calistoga Calistoga (California) 89 rooms from £663Great walks - A range of walking, jogging and biking trails.Sights nearby - Bale Grist Mill State Historic Park.Full of characterBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
This 'Adult playground' is in the heart of Napa Valley with pool, spa and bicycles to explore. Rooms are modern with Italian linens and stone showers. Spa offers a wide array of treatments with sauna and hot tub. Solbar offers meals and cocktails using garden produce. Great relax spot! See More
Napa Valley Lodge Yountville 55 rooms from £229Great walks - Skyline Wilderness Park has 850 acres of trails and has something for everyone.Swimming Pool - Outdoor- year round.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
A romantic hideaway commanding spectacular views of the renowned Napa Valley. From Champagne breakfast delivered to your door, to watching the sunset from your private balcony, this is a truly pampering experience. The rooms are simple, elegant and extremely comfortable. A wine lover's paradise! See More
The Cottages of Napa Valley Napa (California) from £937Local markets - Check out the local markets and all the Napa produce.Back to Nature - Napa Valley is a stunning part of California.Restrictions on children - All children over the age of 12 are welcome.Sights nearby - Hop aboard the wine train.
Eight cottages rest around a central garden in the delightful wine region of the Napa Valley. A hideaway fit for a movie star. Each cottage has a fully equipped kitchen, sitting room and dining area. Relax in comfort and privacy or explore the wine and food region by foot, bike, balloon or on horse. See More
Lavender Yountville 8 rooms from £195Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Outstanding locationFull of character
Charming Yountville B&B, only minutes from the Napa Valley Wineries. The decor draws inspiration from Provence, with lavender gardens, warm tones and even a boules court. Each room comes with its own extra amenities, such as access to wrap around porch, spa bath or hot tub. Intimate and very pretty! See More
Senza Hotel Napa 41 rooms from £202Outstanding locationGreat walks - Several local State Parks provide ample walking- Alston Park, Skyline Wilderness Park, Westwood Hills Park and many more.Cooking classes - Brush up on your culinary skills at Cooking with Julie - Napa and The Culinary Institute Academy - St. HelenaLively - Hip and happening.
Meadowood St Helena (California) 85 rooms from £390Tennis - Seven immaculate courts to knock a ball around or take on a full match.Great walks - The Meadowood Loop is 4 miles of Napa Valley countrside.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
A warm welcome awaits, wine tasting and Napa Valley views. The large, contemporary rooms with modern bathrooms and private balconies. The restaurant offers gourmet Californian dishes accompanied by regional wine. Relax at the spa, read by the pool or explore the vineyards by foot, horse or bike. See More
Southbridge St Helena (California) 21 rooms from £180Local markets - Gourmet markets are regualr occurances in St Helena - be sure to ask when they are on.Full of characterOpulentSpa
This downtown boutique has a picturesque creeper facade, manicured gardens and relaxing water fountain. Large rooms house plush linens, fireplaces and private balconies. Pizzeria Tra Vigne serves up fresh pasta dishes and wood-oven pizzas in a classically Italian setting. So much to explore on foot! See More
The Carneros Inn Napa 86 rooms from £225Country Escape - The beautiful Napa Valley is perfect for a rural escape, and any holiday should involve a visit to a vineyard or tasting houseActive Holiday - 3 pools, hot tubs, free bikes, extensive gardens, art classes, cheese-making, horse riding and helicopter trips, to name a fewBack to Nature - The Di Rosa Preserve: Art and Nature is a 217-acre estate housing thousands of artworks in a unique natural setting.Total relaxationRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
Modern take on traditional local farm buildings in the beautiful Napa Valley with an 'agri-chic' aesthetic. The cottages and suites feature private, furnished patios and immaculately stylish rooms. Eat in delicious restaurants, and relax in an award-winning spa, outdoor pools, and grand gardens. See More
Chateau de Vie Calistoga (California) 5 rooms from £210Back to Nature - Beautiful spot in the wine country.Great walks - Along Napa River or through town.Outstanding locationFull of character
Elegant lavender filled formal gardens and quiet stillness create a feeling of peace in this Chateau. Generous sized rooms overlook the surrounding Napa Valley vineyards. Rise to a gourmet breakfast and explore the region on horseback, foot or bike. The Vineyard spa & pool will round off your day. See More
Inn St Helena St Helena 8 rooms from £181Wine tasting - Located in the world-famous wine region of Napa Valley, the area has 6,800 acres of planted vineyards and over 400 vineyardsLocal exploring - Use this as your base to explore the region's wineries and stunning scenery. Dine well, play golf, hike or shop in the areaSights nearby - Castello di Amorosa is a Medieval style Tuscan chateau and winery well-worth a visitCooking classes - Culinary Institute of America at Greystone
Centrally-located boutique inn. Unique rooms are split between the Cape Cod-style shuttered villa and Cottage House; think tasteful antiques, curated artwork, warm woods and soft, cosy touches. Set amongst pretty gardens with gabled porches for outdoor relaxation. Design-led couples will adore it. See More
Hotel Yountville Yountville (California) 80 rooms from £191Wine tasting - With over 350 wineries in the region there is a lot to see and taste.Sights nearby - Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc Restaurant is worth a visit - book ahead. 10 mins from Napa Valley MuseumGreat walks - Ask for a picnic and off you go.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Tablet
This European-inspired hotel sits in five acres, just a short walk from Yountville, with views of vineyards, an outdoor pool and an extensive spa. Spacious rooms feature fireplaces and four-poster beds. Hopper Creek Kitchen and the Y Bar offer seasonal menus and free wine tasting. See More
Wydown Hotel St Helena 12 rooms from £239Local exploring - A brilliant base for exploring both wine country and the fantastic restaurants, cafes and boutiques St Helena has to offerWine tasting - The vineyards of Napa Valley surround you. Head out to Beringer Vineyards, Round Pond Winery and Schramsberg VineyardsCooking classes - The Culinary Institute of America, with two on-site restaurants, is just around the cornerDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Chic centrally-located boutique hotel in the heart of Napa Valley. Owner-run with meticulous attention to detail, thoughtfully curated rooms emphasize light, design and artisanal furniture. Expect modernist art work, artfully mismatched Mid-century furniture, quirky design touches and caring staff. See More
Napa Farmhouse Inn St Helena 4 rooms from £247Local exploring - Explore Napa Valley's 400+ vineyards, hike in national parks, visit historical sites or take a scenic drive to San FranCountry Escape - Located amongst large gardens, farmland and vineyards, come back to the inn for relaxing country afternoonsWine tasting - You are surrounded by excellent vineyards, wineries and tasting rooms within the iconic Napa ValleySights nearby - Visit Chateau Montelena or Castello di Amorosa, a winery built in the style of a 13th-century Tuscan Villa
Contemporary countryside B&B. Situated in an 1860s farmhouse, unique rooms are decorated in a fun and curated luxury boutique hotel style; some have fireplaces & garden-facing balconies. There is an organic garden and picture-perfect porch. Channel country weekend vibes but with plenty comforts. See More
Rancho Caymus Inn Rutherford, California 26 rooms from £347Wine tasting - This is wine country, Beaulieu Vineyard is just down the road, and there are numerous more beyond!Total relaxation - With days spent exploring local wineries or lounging by the pool - this is a very relaxing stayGreat walks - There's plenty of opportunity for long walks through the picturesque vineyards and countrysideSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A charming small hotel set in a prime position in Napa Valley. Airy rooms are individually designed but each has beamed ceilings, antiques, and the best have stained-glass windows. With a small spa and plenty of opportunities to sample your favourite wine poolside, this is an indulgent escape. See More
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer St Helena (California) 78 rooms from £358Country Escape - Experience the slow-paced life on a vineyard.Restaurant - Harvest Table offers wonderful food with much of the ingredients grown on site.Views - The property has fabulous views over the surrounding vineyards and wider areaSwimming Pool - Two outdoor pools open year round - the more secluded one is for adults only
Experience life on a winery at this charming inn. Soak in the views of the vineyards from the bedroom terraces. Well proportioned rooms are traditional in style with exposed stone, open fireplaces and the best feature polished parquet floors. Enjoy country style cooking in the restaurant . Fabulous. See More
Alila Napa Valley St Helena (Napa County) 68 rooms from £507Romantic Break - Cosy, luxurious rooms, excellent wines, fine dining, luscious views and couples massage combine for memorable romantic getawaysCountry Escape - Escape to California's wine country and the beautiful Napa valleys at this resort flush with views and gardensFoodies - The on-site restaurant is helmed by head chef Chris Cosentino, pairing excellent local wines and dishesRestaurant - The on-site restaurant Acacia House is an attractive and high class dining experience
With captivating views over Napa County's sprawling vineyards, Alila Napa Valley offers upmarket California style and ultra-modern rooms and suites in the country's wine touring hot-spot. The resort boasts an extremely well-equipped spa, with sauna, gym and a pool as well as an excellent restaurant. See More
Poetry Inn Yountville (6380 Silverado Trail) from £617Sights nearby - Napa Valley Opera House is centred around wine and music - check out what is on during your stay.Romantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.
An intimate boutique overlooking vineyards from its hillside standing. Large light rooms offer all the needed luxuries; fine linens, marble bathrooms and truly sublime views. Why not book the farmhouse, enjoy a complimentary breakfast and explore this exceptional wine region. See More
Wine Country Inn St. Helena, California 29 rooms from £272Local exploring - Perfect location for exploring wineries and restaurants around the Napa ValleySights nearby - Visit Calistoga, famous for its hot mineral springs and mud baths, which is only a short drive awaySpa - In-room spa services, including massages and facials, are available by reservationSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor pol
A beautiful rural estate in St.Helena with stunning views overlooking the vineyard and gardens. Rooms are spacious and modern with huge floor-to-ceiling windows allowing lots of natural light. Cottages are also available to rent. Make use of the pool and hot tub. Ideal for a romantic escape. See More
Maison Fleurie Yountville 13 rooms from £133Local markets - Napa Farmers Market, fresh vegetables, produce and specialty foods every Tuesday morning.Swimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor pool.Romantic - Good for couples.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
This charming B&B consists of three stone and brick buildings dating back to 1873. A handy 10 minute walk from Yountville Center. Rooms feature elegant French style furnishings, exposed wood beams, rustic brick walls, sumptuous linens and large windows. Country-chic at its best. See More