- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Best Wine Hotels in the Napa Valley
The Napa Valley is known the world over for its cabernets, chardonnays and spectacular sprawling wineries, but it’s also a foodie heaven, and an exceptional place to visit if you want to relax and treat yourself. There’s plenty of sunshine, space and peace. And many of the best wine hotels in the Napa Valley also offer pampering extras, like spa treatments, massages, winery tours and wine-matching menus.
With the very best wine hotels in the Napa Valley pitching everything so perfectly for relaxation and enjoyment it’s easy to see why they receive around four million visitors annually. And of course the best wine hotels in the Napa Valley do book up well in advance. So one of the most difficult parts of the Napa Valley experience is choosing exactly where you want to stay.
The Napa Valley is a big place, so if you’re staying for more than a few nights you might even want to consider booking into two or more of the best wine hotels in the Napa Valley so you can see and taste more of the region.
Where to find the best wine hotels in the Napa Valley
Napa is the biggest centre in the valley, and has a good range of accommodation options, but it’s not as pretty as some of the smaller towns, and a greater concentration of the best wine hotels in the Napa Valley can be found higher up the valley. Napa does have a great produce market and a number of excellent restaurants in its favour though.
Yountville, nine miles north of Napa, is a foodie favourite, with more Michelin stars per capita than any other American town. And one of the main reasons to stay in Yountville is so you can walk home after a boozy supper.
St. Helena is one of the prettiest, and thus most popular towns, also known for having the most expensive boutiques and most glamorous visitors.
Calistoga is the least developed town in the valley with an old fashioned feeling main street. But what it’s really known for are its natural springs, so there’s the bonus opportunity of enjoying the natural hot springs and hot mud baths.
This is also a great place to come if you want to really escape, and some of the best wine hotels in the Napa Valley are converted - or partly converted - wineries, offering serene vineyard views and often grape related spa treatments.
Best wine hotels in the Napa Valley
- The Milliken Creek Inn is an adults only inn right by the lush banks of the Napa River, close to the Silverado Trail. There are 12 beautiful rooms which exude comfort and luxury and a manicured, riverside garden. They also offer an unusual selection of spa treatments, and of course some exceptional wine tasting.
- The Solage Calistoga has 90 modern rooms, a pool and spa plus sauna and hot tubs. They also hire bikes and there’s an excellent bar and restaurant.
- The Bardessono Hotel and Spa is an eco-friendly hotel with 62 rooms, a geothermal spa and an organic restaurant.
- The Napa River Inn is another property in Napa town, this time it’s right on the river. There are 66 rooms with charming, old-fashioned decor, as well as a Michelin rated restaurant. And you’re within a stroll of around 20 different tasting rooms.
- The Auberge du Soleil is a luxurious boutique hotel with breathtaking views over olive groves and grape vines and an outstanding restaurant.
- The Blackbird Inn is a boutique B&B in Napa proper, with just eight, cosy rooms with fireplaces, balconies and antique beds. And you’re right by all the restaurants in town.
- Southbridge is a boutique hotel in central St Helena with 21 large and charming rooms with fireplaces and private balconies. Outside there’s a creeper facade and manicured garden and inside a pizzeria.
- Also in St Helena, Meadowood is a large, contemporary hotel with 85 rooms and a gourmet restaurant serving Californian dishes. There’s a spa, pool and an excellent wine list.
- The Chateau de Vie is a peaceful, four bedroom chateau surrounded by lavender filled gardens. Large rooms overlook the vineyards beyond and there’s a gourmet breakfast to start the day plus a spa and pool to finish the day.
- The Milliken Creek Inn & Spa is an intimate, 12 room B&B right by the river. As well as the complimentary breakfasts they also lay on cheese and wine evenings and the rooms have fireplaces, balconies and hot tubs.
- The Senza Hotel has 41 stylish rooms with original artworks and private balconies overlooking the vineyards.
- The Napa Valley Lodge in Yountville is a romantic hideaway with views of the whole valley - from your private balcony. There are 55 elegant rooms and the whole experience is pampering and rejuvenating.
For peace and quiet
- The Cottages of Napa Valley comprises eight cottages nestling in the hills of the Napa Valley around a lovely central garden. Each cottage has a fully equipped kitchen and a sitting room and dining area.
- Lavender in Yountville is an extremely pretty eight room B&B with a Provencale feel. Each room has its own additional facilities, like a hot tub, spa bath or wrap around porch.
- The Carneros Inn has been converted from a farm, and the collection of cottages, suites and rooms are modern and stylish. There’s also a choice of restaurants, an award-winning spa, expansive gardens with three pools and a number of hot tubs. As well as wine tastings they also offer cheesemaking classes.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best wine hotels in the Napa Valley yet then you could expand your search to include our Guru’s list of the best places to stay in the Napa Valley. And if you still can’t find what you’re looking for please contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Milliken Creek Inn 12 rooms from £160Napa (California)
This intimate adults-only inn is on the grassy banks of Napa River and the scenic Silverado Trail. The beautiful rooms boast stylish furnishings in chocolate and cream, creating a sense of warmth and luxury. Fantastic spa treatments and a manicured riverside garden add to the idyllic setting.Romantic Break - Adults-only, with romantic spa treatments and facilities and nearby vineyards for wine-tastings- perfect for a romantic breakTotal relaxation - Unusual and luxury spa treatments on offer, beautiful gardens overlooking the Napa river, and peaceful surroundings.Great walks - Explore the garden and beyond.Restrictions on children - This is an adult only Inn.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Solage Calistoga 89 rooms from £653Calistoga (California)
This 'Adult playground' is in the heart of Napa Valley with pool, spa and bicycles to explore. Rooms are modern with Italian linens and stone showers. Spa offers a wide array of treatments with sauna and hot tub. Solbar offers meals and cocktails using garden produce. Great relax spot!Great walks - A range of walking, jogging and biking trails.Sights nearby - Bale Grist Mill State Historic Park.Full of characterRemote - Off the beaten track.
Napa Valley Lodge 55 rooms from £225Yountville
A romantic hideaway commanding spectacular views of the renowned Napa Valley. From Champagne breakfast delivered to your door, to watching the sunset from your private balcony, this is a truly pampering experience. The rooms are simple, elegant and extremely comfortable. A wine lover's paradise!Great walks - Skyline Wilderness Park has 850 acres of trails and has something for everyone.Swimming Pool - Outdoor- year round.OpulentFull of character
The Cottages of Napa Valley from £921Napa (California)
Eight cottages rest around a central garden in the delightful wine region of the Napa Valley. A hideaway fit for a movie star. Each cottage has a fully equipped kitchen, sitting room and dining area. Relax in comfort and privacy or explore the wine and food region by foot, bike, balloon or on horse.Local markets - Check out the local markets and all the Napa produce.Back to Nature - Napa Valley is a stunning part of California.Restrictions on children - All children over the age of 12 are welcome.Sights nearby - Hop aboard the wine train.
Lavender 8 rooms from £192Yountville
Charming Yountville B&B, only minutes from the Napa Valley Wineries. The decor draws inspiration from Provence, with lavender gardens, warm tones and even a boules court. Each room comes with its own extra amenities, such as access to wrap around porch, spa bath or hot tub. Intimate and very pretty!Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Private Hot TubFull of characterOutstanding location
Senza Hotel 41 rooms from £186Napa
A trendy hotel in the famed Napa Valley Region. Each stylish room features original artworks and a private balcony over looking the local vineyards. Pamper yourself with in room massages, oversized tubs and Molton Brown bath products. Elegant, opulent and fun.Outstanding locationGreat walks - Several local State Parks provide ample walking- Alston Park, Skyline Wilderness Park, Westwood Hills Park and many more.Cooking classes - Brush up on your culinary skills at Cooking with Julie - Napa and The Culinary Institute Academy - St. HelenaRomantic - Good for couples.
Meadowood 85 rooms from £384St Helena (California)
A warm welcome awaits, wine tasting and Napa Valley views. The large, contemporary rooms with modern bathrooms and private balconies. The restaurant offers gourmet Californian dishes accompanied by regional wine. Relax at the spa, read by the pool or explore the vineyards by foot, horse or bike.Great walks - The Meadowood Loop is 4 miles of Napa Valley countrside.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRomantic - Good for couples.Full of characterRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Southbridge 21 rooms from £177St Helena (California)
This downtown boutique has a picturesque creeper facade, manicured gardens and relaxing water fountain. Large rooms house plush linens, fireplaces and private balconies. Pizzeria Tra Vigne serves up fresh pasta dishes and wood-oven pizzas in a classically Italian setting. So much to explore on foot!Local markets - Gourmet markets are regualr occurances in St Helena - be sure to ask when they are on.OpulentFull of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
The Carneros Inn 86 rooms from £225Napa
Modern take on traditional local farm buildings in the beautiful Napa Valley with an 'agri-chic' aesthetic. The cottages and suites feature private, furnished patios and immaculately stylish rooms. Eat in delicious restaurants, and relax in an award-winning spa, outdoor pools, and grand gardens.Active Holiday - 3 pools, hot tubs, free bikes, extensive gardens, art classes, cheese-making, horse riding and helicopter trips, to name a fewCountry Escape - The beautiful Napa Valley is perfect for a rural escape, and any holiday should involve a visit to a vineyard or tasting houseBack to Nature - The Di Rosa Preserve: Art and Nature is a 217-acre estate housing thousands of artworks in a unique natural setting.Total relaxationRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith