20 of the Best Hotels in Downtown Manhattan
While many associate Downtown Manhattan (or Lower Manhattan) with the Financial District, there is actually much more to this area for travellers beyond those booking a stay for business. The district is home to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, the One World Observatory and the Fraunces Tavern to name just a few. While just offshore is Ellis Island, which houses the site arguably most synonyomous with New York City, the Statue of Liberty. While cultural sites are found in abundance here, excellent dining and drinking options are too. With the competition for real estate high, it is no wonder that the best hotels in Downtown Manhattan jostle to stand out. Expect cutting-edge design, world-class amenities, and slick service. The choice is also broad and ranges from all-out luxury stays to independent boutiques. While it doesn't apply to all, there are also properties offered at pretty reasonable prices. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next stay?
- Mr C Seaport is a luxury hotel with a modern take on classic European glamour. Rooms feature lacquered wood panelling, crisp white linens, and skyline views framed by floor-to-ceiling windows. With a romantic Italian restaurant and an unbeatable Wall Street location, this is a very comfortable city crashpad.
- Crosby Street Hotel is an achingly chic hotel in the SoHo district which attracts celebrities and design aficionados alike, with its cool interiors by Kit Kemp. Despite the enviable location, it’s on a quiet street so you can leave the city chaos behind. Service is impeccable while still being relaxed.
- Nomo Soho is a luxury hotel boasting a curated collection of vintage and contemporary art. Stylish rooms are decorated in white and blue hues and boast luxe bathrooms and epic city views. Complete with an American restaurant serving creative dishes and superb cocktails. A hip luxury choice.
For a classic New York Hotel
- The Mercer is a New York classic, offering the ultimate in SoHo design chic plus a world-class restaurant. Interiors have that converted loft look that is so synonymous with this area of the city. A hip choice where you can live and eat very well.
- The SoHo Grand Hotel is sumptuous and elegant. Its interior design blends the 1870’s Gilded Age with 1970's luxury — catering to the ultra-chic New Yorker. Rooms have stunning views and are decorated with original artworks. The hip dining options, stylish bar and sophisticated club room make this an unforgettable stay.
For a historic hotel
- Washington Square Hotel is a historic 1902 residence in Greenwich Village. Art-deco style furnishings and dark mahoganies make up the subtly lit rooms. With its prime location by Washington Square Park, good value accommodations, and old-world feel — this is an appealing choice.
- The Beekman has a definitive jazz age vibe. Rooms are swish and elegant with simple designs and comfortable furniture. An atmospheric bar evokes a Gatsby-esque air with its booth bar and chandeliers. A five-star downtown stay.
For a hip stay
- Sixty Soho is a hip SoHo hotel with chic rooms that boast individual design details such as artworks by Harland Miller and selected literature. With a phenomenal rooftop bar and restaurant, this is a lively spot to see and be seen.
- The Bowery Hotel is a young, hip and delightfully atmospheric hotel in trendy East Village. Chic and comfortable rooms with large windows provide plenty of light and splendid views. The vintage bars and restaurants are full of old-world charm. An undeniably hip destination.
- The Standard High Line offers oh-so-chic rooms in the edgy ambient neighbourhood of Lower West Side. Floor-to-ceiling windows offer stunning views across New York, even from your bathtub. There's a hip all-American restaurant and a 'to-be-seen-in' bar. A hyper-modern way to experience New York.
- The Roxy Hotel Tribeca is The SoHo Grand’s cooler little sister and is the ultimate in downtown chic. Sleek, mid-century modern rooms are fitted with the latest technology while an in-house cinema, live music and suave rooftop terrace all attract a fashionista crowd.
- Hotel 50 Bowery is a hip new addition to the hotel scene on the Lower East Side. Interiors are on point, with exposed brick walls, hanging Edison light bulbs, Chinatown inspired splashes of red and lantern style lamps. The views are remarkable — from the fantastic rooftop bar as well as from the chic suites and rooms.
- The Ludlow is a stylish hotel with a touch of the avant-garde in the trendy Lower East Side. Large casement windows flood natural light into the rooms furnished with vintage items including handmade silk rugs and Moroccan lamps. Complete with a trellised garden bar and authentic french bistro, this property ticks all the boxes.
For a spa
- The Greenwich is a luxury hotel with chic rooms that effortlessly blend contemporary and traditional styles. Casual Italian dining in the courtyard in Locanda Verde is a real lure but it is the Shibui Spa and indoor pool that seal the deal!
For the views
- The Hotel Hugo is a retro delight, with 122 rooms designed by architect Marcello Pozzi and decorated with custom-made Italian furnishings. You’re on the edge of SoHo with views of the Hudson River and the skyline of Downtown Manhattan, which you can really enjoy from the double-storey rooftop bar.
For a design hotel
- Arlo Soho is a large boutique hotel with plenty of light. Stylish rooms are the epitome of minimalist chic; the best have a balcony with epic views. There's excellent food and cocktails served in the rooftop bar and restaurant. A hip design-led base.
For Wall Street
- The Andaz Wall Street is worth a mention as the only hotel with a Wall Street address. It’s hip and happening and has a fantastic spa and bar.
- Hotel on Rivington is a youthful and modern hotel in the trendy Lower East Side, located near Wall Street and the World Trade Centre. The bright rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows with spectacular views and sleek furnishings. The restaurant blends American brasserie cuisine with sushi and adds to the liveliness of the hotel. Works for either business trips or pleasure.
For a boutique
- Duane Street Hotel is an intimate and stylish boutique hotel in Tribeca. Contemporary rooms and suites have sleek black headboards, high ceilings, hardwood floors and oversize windows with city views. An easy base for exploring Lower Manhattan.
For great value
- Public is a revolutionary hotel in the trendy Lower East Side. It's all about public spaces here, from the cafe-bar-boutique that replaces the lobby, to the rooftop bar boasting panoramic views and the vibrant New York-centric restaurant. A supremly luxurious hotel, without the luxury rates.
Still not sure where to book?
- Expand your search to include our list of the best places to stay in New York, our Guru's recommendations for Best Hotels in Manhattan or the best spa hotels in New York
- Try our Guru's recommendations for the Best Midtown Manhattan Hotels, the Best Uptown Manhattan Hotels or the best pet friendly hotels in New York
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Bowery Hotel New York 135 rooms from £308Close to nightlife - Bowery Ballroom and Mercury Lounge are just 800m away, as well as a whole range of hip bars and clubs.Local exploring - This trendy district is full of exciting sites and areas to explore by foot or by bike.Lively - More for revelry than for pampering.Great walks - The hip and trendy East Village is best explored on foot, wander the streets or ask at reception for a good route!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
A young, hip and delightfully atmospheric hotel in the trendy East Village. Chic and comfortable rooms with large windows providing plenty of light and splendid views. The vintage bars and restaurants are full of old world charm. A fun and lively destination in an up and coming district. See More
The Mercer New York 75 rooms from £542Foodies - The automatic table reservation at chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s Mercer Kitchen is worth its weight in gold.Families - Interconnecting family suites and babysitting services.Outstanding location - Located in bustling downtown Soho.Local markets - Walk to the south-east of the hotel and you'll stumble across Little Italy and Chinatown, both well worth a visit.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Sixty Soho New York (Soho) 97 rooms from £245Restaurant - Acclaimed restaurant - a paean to Thai cuisine.Roof terrace - Rooftop barGreat walks - Learn about the Lower East Side’s rich immigrant history on foot during a guided tour at the Tenement Museum on Orchard Street.Local markets - Wander down to Chinatown, under two Km away, and check out all this dynamic area has to offer.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Duane Street Hotel New York 43 rooms from £117City Style - Go ahead and indulge all your senses—whether it is food, fashion, film, or fun—Tribeca truly satisfies the urban soulFamilies - Corner Suite can accommodate 3 adults and 2 kids, and those under 16 stay for free!Restaurant - The small restaurant serves Indian cuisine with Persian flairLively - Hip and happening.
An intimate, stylish boutique hotel in Tribeca. Contemporary rooms and suites have sleek black headboards, high ceilings, hardwood floors, oversize windows with city views and bathrooms with rain showers. For families the luxe Corner Suite sleeps five. The perfect base for exploring Lower Manhattan. See More
Washington Square Hotel New York Downtown 150 rooms from £194Local exploring - Right in Greenwich Village, this is an ideal spot for exploring Manhattan by foot.Local markets - Check out the streets of China Town, packed with stalls and shops of every description.Sights nearby - All within a few minutes walk are Madison Square Gardens and Little Italy.Outstanding location - On the edge of Washington Square Park.Recommended by - Frommers
Andaz Wall Street New York City 253 rooms from £394Romantic Break - A stylish choice- loft-style rooms featuring pillow menus and king sized beds and downstairs a hip bar and yummy restaurant.City Style - A slick hotel set in an historic NYC neighborhood- trendy rough brick walls mixed with glossy finishes and lavish fittings.Great walks - Close to New Yorks famous Central Park, a breath of fresh air in the city centre.Sights nearby - Walking distance from ferries to the Statue of Liberty and Governor's Island.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
The only hotel with an address on Wall Street, placing it at the epicenter of the Financial District. Large loft style rooms with seriously luxurious bathrooms. A hip restaurant using farm fresh produce, trendy bar and a glorious spa. A boutique hotel with a chains knowledge. See More
Nomo Soho New York 263 rooms from £87Local exploring - SoHo is infused with creativity, evocative expression, and artistic dedicationRestaurant - Guests receive $15 Daily Dining credit to NoMo Kitchen which offers a rustic American menu with global influencesSights nearby - Little Italy and various art galleries and shops are within a 5-minute walkDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
A luxury hotel, boasting a curated collection of vintage and contemporary art, set in the heart of Soho. Accommodation features bright blue and white hues, floor-to-ceiling windows and indulgent marble showers. Nomo kitchen is open for all day dining and cocktails. A stylish city pad. See More
The Standard High Line New York (Meatpacking District) 338 rooms from £365Romantic Break - Wonderfully indulgent suites feature romantic stand alone baths with stunning views and downstairs expect wonderful cuisine.City Style - A super trendy creation by Andre Balazs- achingly hip and housing one of New York's most sought after nightlife spots.Views - Great views of the skyline and Hudson BayRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection
Oh-so chic rooms in the edgy ambient neighbourhood of Lower West Side. Ceiling to floor windows offer stunning views across New York, even from your bath tub. Hip all American food at the hotel restaurant and a 'to be seen in' bar. A hyper-modern way to experience New York. See More
SoHo Grand Hotel New York 355 rooms from £300Sights nearby - Central location means sights of New York are on your doorstepDesigner - Interior designs by celebrated interior designer Bill SofieldRestaurant - Recommended.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Mr C Seaport New York (Wall Street) 66 rooms from £267Local exploring - With an unbeatable location on Wall Street, this hotel makes the perfect base for local exploring in New YorkCity Style - With luxurious interior design and a historic New York setting, book this hotel for contemporary city styleFoodies - The hotel hosts classic Italian restaurant, Bellini, ideal for lovers of European foodSights nearby - See one of the most famous landmarks in the city, the Empire State Building, located close to this hotel
This luxury hotel presents a modern take on classic European glamour on Seaport Street in downtown New York. Guestrooms feature lacquered wood panelling and crisp white linens, with skyline views framed by floor-to-ceiling windows. A rustic Italian restaurant completes this European-chic hotel. See More
Crosby Street Hotel New York 86 rooms from £464Local exploring - Some of New York's best shopping, bars, cafes, restaurants and galleries are right on your doorstepSitting Room - Residents only drawing room with honesty barSights nearby - A walk south-east of the hotel takes you to Little Italy.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Fodors
This achingly chic hotel in Manhattan’s SoHo district attracts celebrities and design addicts alike with its cool interiors by Kit Kemp. Despite the enviable location, it’s on a quiet street so you can leave the city chaos behind. Service is impeccable while still being relaxed. See More
The Beekman New York 287 rooms from £449City Style - Right in the heart of Manhattan, near the World Trade Centre.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the sights and sounds of New York.Local markets - Browse the frenzy of the South Street Seaport market.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Ground Zero.
Stellar hotel with a definitively jazz age feel in the heart of Manhattan. Rooms are swish and elegant with simple designs and comfortable furniture. Enjoy a cocktail in the atmospheric bar that evokes a Gatsby-esque atmosphere with it's booth bar and chandeliers. A five-star downtown option. See More
The Roxy Hotel Tribeca New York 203 rooms from £242Pet friendly - Pets can stay with no additional chargeCity Style - Luxurious downtown chicHouse party feel - Noise from the lively bar downstairsLively - A happening nightlife destinationRecommended by - Tablet
The SoHo Grand’s cooler little sister - the ultimate in downtown chic. The in-house cinema, live music and suave roof top terrace all attract a fashionista crowd. Sleek, mid-century modern rooms, fitted with the latest technology. The relaxing Aire Ancient Baths are located just one block away. See More
PUBLIC New York 397 rooms from £308Value chic - A supremley luxurious hotel, without being a 'luxury hotel'- they have trimmed the fat from a 5*hotel and left you with the leanCity Style - See and be seen- the sleek and chic public spaces are filled with glamorous, beautiful people doing interesting thingsLocal markets - The lobby boutique offers a fabulous collection of local clothing, books and accessories from independent suppliersViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
A revolutionary hotel on the trendy Lower East Side. It's all about public spaces here, from the cafe-bar-boutique that replaces the lobby, to the rooftop bar boasting panoramic views and the vibrant New York-centric restaurant. Add floor-to-ceiling windows and clever design tricks in the rooms. See More
The Greenwich New York State 88 rooms from £644Sights nearby - Hop on the metro at Franklin Street and explore the city at ease.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.SpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Tribeca neighborhood is prime location for foodies, local explorers and relaxing in-house at the Shibui Spa and indoor pool. Modern rooms with all mod-cons. Enjoy casual Italian dining at Locanda Verde, or in the courtyard with the great bar. Perfect location for nightlife and New York! See More
Hotel Hugo New York (Soho) 122 rooms from £180Local exploring - Times Square, Central Park and Broadway are all only a few miles away and the Hudson is even closer: perfect for local exploringCity Style - Located in SoHo, NYC's downtown shopping district with plenty of designer brands, and 2.4 miles from Times Square.Views - Deluxe rooms on the West side of the buiding have brilliant views of the Hudson River, as does the roof terrace.Restaurant - Authentic Italian with private dining beside a vertical garden. Azul with 360-degree rooftop views & Cuban cantina vibe.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Retro hotel decorated with custom-made Italian furnishings, designed by renowned architect Marcello Pozzi, located on the edge of the bustling shopping district of Soho. Brilliant views of the Hudson river and downtown skyline & a double-level rooftop bar. Stylish, sophisticated and spacious rooms. See More
Arlo Soho New York 325 rooms from £238City Style - Arlo Hudson Square is the ultimate 'micro-hotel' oozing contemporary cool from its sleek, comfortable tight fit rooms!Local exploring - Make the most of your Soho location to see all that this amazing city has to offerGreat walks - Wander around the city taking in its incredible buzz or head for a stroll through Central ParkSights nearby - Be sure to see the Empire State Building, Ellis Island and Ground ZeroRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The designer Arlo Hudson Square is located in Soho, Lower Manhattan. Boutique and light-filled accommodation with plenty of wooden influences. Rooms come with a fridge and some even have balconies. Enjoy a drink and the excellent food at the rooftop bar! A fun and friendly city stay. See More
The Ludlow New York (Lower East Side) 184 rooms from £266Local exploring - The Lower East Side neighbourhood of Manhattan is the perfect choice for anyone interested in nightlife and restaurants.Foodies - Dirty French is a recent offering from the Major Food Group, and promises an exciting twist on classic French cuisine.City Style - Close to the shopping in SoHo and the landmark Brooklyn Bridge, and offering spectacular views of the iconic skyline.Restaurant - Gallic bistro the Dirty French, furnished with vintage decoration to channel French chic style.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Stylish hotel with a touch of the avant garde in the trendy Lower East Side. Large casement windows flood natural light into the rooms furnished with vintage items such as handmade silk rugs and Moroccan lamps. It also features a trellised garden bar, cosy lounge and authentic French bistro. See More
Hotel 50 Bowery New York (NY) 229 rooms from £318Local exploring - Nestled into New York's Chinatown, with interiors that give nod to their surrondings- the ideal spot for an Eastern adventureCity Style - A trendy and uber chic hotel offering a rooftop bar with fabulous views of the Manhattan skylineSights nearby - You are right on the edge of Chinatown and a short hop to Brooklyn so get out and explore all the area has to offer!Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
A hip new addition to the hotel scene on the Lower East Side. Interiors are on point, with exposed brick walls, hanging Edison light bulbs, Chinatown inspired slashes of red and lantern style lamps. The views are remarkable- from the fantastic rooftop bar as well as from the chic suites and rooms. See More
Hotel on Rivington New York 110 rooms from £206Weddings - The Penthouse is a premier event space in NYC, with floor-to-ceiling glass, 3000 sq ft across three levels and panoramic views.Local exploring - 5 minutes from Little Italy, and close to SoHo, Tribeca and Chinatown, with Ground Zero and Wall Street both 1 mile away.City Style - A youthful and hip hotel with spectacular views of the Financial District and the downtown bridges.Restaurant - American brasserie CO-OP Food & Drink serves globally inspired, locally sourced cuisine and fresh sushi.Recommended by - Tablet
Youthful and modern hotel on the trendy Lower East Side, located near Wall Street and the World Trade Centre. The bright rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows with spectacular views and sleek furnishings. The restaurant blends American brasserie with sushi and adds to the liveliness of the hotel. See More