Search the best hotels in Tasmania
Tasmania's natural beauty is incredibly varied, ranging from rocky, snow capped outcrops to calm bays lined with golden sand, and wild plains - all of it home to a wide range of wildlife, and much of it unspoiled by too many visitors. Australia's only island state, Tasmania is definitely out of step with the mainland, strongly tied to its colonial history; visiting can feel a bit like a step back in time. But the heritage of the place adds to the fascination, and some of the best places to stay in Tasmania have been converted from graceful colonial constructions.
What Not To Miss
- The craggy peak of Cradle Mountain, the wide scoop of Wineglass Bay, the great stretches of peaceful sand on Seven Mile Beach and the peaceful green-grey of the Huon Valley are all pristine and unmissable for anyone interested in the beauty of the great outdoors.
- Island isolation has protected this diverse and precious ecology, and kept the population low, so Tasmania is now home to some of the world's rarest plants and animals. And even since the great swathes of wilderness have became visitor attractions in their own right, the Heritage Listings have served to prioritise protection of the environment.
- Hobart is Tasmania's small but perfectly formed capital city. It's a wonderful mix of charming town centre seeping quickly into spectacular countryside and is the ideal base for those who like the best of both worlds. And this is a great place to do some sailing, or some cycling.
- As well as the natural treasures, Tasmania has some interesting historic and archaeological sights - like Port Arthur, the Hobart docks, or the grand, Gothic Cascade Brewery.
- Tasmania isn't the backwater mainlanders jibe about though, the food and wine of the Tamar Valley and Launceston will impress gourmets, the ocean provides a bounty of seafood, and there's no shortage of luxurious accommodation.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Tasmania range from hip city spots, to a remote wilderness lodge - there really is something for everyone.
The best places to stay in Tasmania
For a luxurious escape from it all
- Woodbridge on the Derwent is a collection of eight luxurious suites in an 1825, convict-built riverside mansion just 25 minutes from Hobart. Many of the original features, like late open fireplaces, a ballrooms and library, remain and you're surrounded by food and wine country.
- Saffire is an all-inclusive luxury lodge with 20 rooms and views of Coles Bay. The 'rooms' are a collection of suites and private pavilions dotted along the coast, and there's a fantastic spa, as well as a myriad of walking trails which start right from the lodge.
- Villa Howden, located on the tranquil shores of North West Bay, offers traditional elegance and the perfect place to stay for intimate celebrations and quiet contemplation. Rooms are beautifully decorated and fresh local produce is served in peaceful dining rooms. A secluded country house.
For a Hobart city break
- The Henry Jones Art Hotel is Australia's first 'art hotel' a hip, stylish space converted from an 1820s jam warehouse right on Hobart's waterfront. Rooms are tasteful and you're in a great spot.
- The Islington Hotel is a obverted Regency house with a fabulous modern stone and glass extension allowing for even more spectacular views of Mt. Wellington. The grounds, on the outskirts of Hobart, are manicured and beautiful and the interior is decorated with art and antiques.
- If you like your city chic modern then you'll like the Mona Pavilions, a collection of slick, uniquely designed self-catering pavilions on the Morilla Estate on the grounds of the Mona Museum. Just a short ferry trip from Hobart, as well as the museum there's a heated infinity pool, gym and sauna.
For the great outdoors
- Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge offers four different types on accommodation, from suites to detached family cabins, surrounded by the wilderness of the Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park. The lodge is surrounded by walking trails and there's also a fabulous spa.
- The Avalon Coastal Retreat is a three bedroom house, each bedroom with its own bathroom, right on a private beach. The owners will happily stock the fridge, as well as leaving you with a collection of beach towels, wetsuits, boogie boards, backpacks and walking maps.
- Quamby Estate is a peaceful country estate with rolling green lawns in beautifully landscaped grounds. Antique furniture is scattered tastefully throughout this charming house. A quiet drawing room with fireplace and comfortable, elegant bedrooms. Enjoy evening meals in the relaxed dining room and picnics on the lawn.
- The Red Feather Inn - this collection of colonial buildings is nestled in the Meander Valley in Northern Tasmania. All rooms and suites boast a garden view and contemporary interiors. A beautiful location for an intimate wedding or romantic getaway, with cooking classes on site and an array of local attractions nearby.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a diverse selection of properties ideal for enjoying the island's sights.
- Fly to Hobart International Airport located 18km (11 miles) from Hobart with a range of domestic flights to destinations including Melbourne and Sydney.
- Alternatively, catch a ferry to Tasmania with daily ferries between Port Melbourne and Devonport
- If you want to rent a car to explore the island - click here for prices and booking with our online partner, Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - the summer months from December to Februrary for pleasant tempertures and less rainfall.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Tasmania,
- Alternatively, widen the net and check out recommendations in Queensland or New South Wales
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tasmania
Best Hotels in Tasmania
Quamby Estate Launceston, Tasmania 10 rooms from AU$188Country Escape - Set on 150 acres of stunning parklands, boasting a golf course, tennis courts, lakes and drawing rooms with marble fireplace.Romantic Break - A romantic escape with fragrant gardens, gourmet couples dining, and suites with classic antiques and spa bath.Fishing - Anglers will be pleased to hear the lake is well stocked with fish.Romantic - Good for couples.
Peaceful country estate with rolling green lawns in beautifully landscaped grounds. Antique furniture is scattered tastefully throughout this charming house. A quiet drawing room with fireplace and comfortable, elegant bedrooms. Enjoy evening meals in the relaxed dining room and picnics on the lawn. See More
Hadley's Orient Hotel Hobart 71 rooms from AU$157Local exploring - A mid-city location making this a great choice for travellers keen to experience Hobart's booming city sceneBusiness meetings - Located in Hobart's Central Business DistrictSights nearby - The Aquatic Centre, the Hobart Waterfront and Salamanca Place are in easy distance and the Botanical Gardens are quite closeLocal markets - The popular Salamanca Markets and Street Eats market are a short walk away
An historic Victorian-era building located near Hobart's business district. Spacious rooms have a retro feel with patterned carpets and wall paper and vintage decor. An elegant bar comes complete with grand piano and the restaurant serves regional cuisine. A smart stay in the heart of the city. See More
The Red Feather Inn Launceston (Hadspen) 12 rooms from AU$225Local markets - Good for local colour.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Secluded setting - For escaping.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - CN Traveller
This collection of colonial buildings is nestled in the Meander Valley in Northern Tasmania. All rooms and suites boast a garden view and contemporary interiors. A beautiful location for an intimate wedding or romantic getaway, with cooking classes on site and an array of local attractions nearby. See More
Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge Tasmania 86 rooms from AU$231Outstanding location - Located on the edge of the spectacular World Heritage listed Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National ParkGreat walks - 20 walking trails from the lodge to suit every fitness levelSights nearby - Helicopter flights can be arrangedSpa - Views over the Pencil Pine riverRecommended by - Fodors
Hotel Charles Launceston TAS 7250 99 rooms from AU$191Business meetings - Just a 10-minute stroll from the Central Business DistrictLocal exploring - A perfect base for Tamar Valley day-trippingLocal markets - Good for local colour.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Set behind an impressive Art Deco style facade, this understated and modern hotel is set at the gateway to the Tamar Valley. Rooms are minimalist and contemporary with white washed walls, floor to ceiling windows and bursts of colour coming from the soft furnishings. A smart stay. See More
@ VDL Stanley Tasmania 3 rooms from AU$191Local exploring - Explore the Tarkine Wilderness or head to the Far West Coast to view Arthur River, known as the Edge of The WorldGreat walks - There are scenic walking tracks in Smithton and Stanley, whether you are looking for a gentle stroll or a physical challengeSights nearby - Check out Dip Falls on the Dip River at Mawbanna, or take a chairlift to the top of the Nut, an extinct volcanoFishing - Stanley is famous for its runs of Blue Warehou, also known as Snotty Trevally from the Stanley Wharf
An intimate hotel set both besides the coast and at the base of an extinct volcano. The three suites are contemporary in style and designed with natural materials. Self-catering facilities are offered or there's fantastic seafood restaurants nearby. A perfect base to explore this beautiful region. See More
Henry Jones Art Hotel Hobart 50 rooms from AU$261Sights nearby - Bruny Island, Tasman IslandOutstanding location - On Hobart's waterfront
Mantra Collins Hotel Hobart TAS 7000 80 rooms from AU$205Local exploring - A mid-city location making this a great choice for travellers keen to experience Hobart's booming city sceneBusiness meetings - Located in the Hobart Central Business DistrictSights nearby - The Aquatic Centre the Hobart Waterfront and Salamanca Place are in easy distance, and the Botanical Gardens are just 2kms awayGreat walks - Great waterfront walks and tours through the city
A smart hotel set in a great mid-city location. Well appointed rooms are contemporary in design and feature floor to ceiling windows (the best have wonderful city views). Sample Tasmanian dishes at the restaurant and find yourself just a stroll away from many of the city's major attractions. See More
Peppers Silo Hotel Launceston (Invermay TAS 7248) 7 rooms from AU$232City Style - A 15-minute walk along a path beside the Tamar and North Esk rivers will take you from the hotel to Launceston’s city centreIndustrial conversion - Dating back to the 1960’s, the heritage building which spanned 35 metres high contained grain in four large silosLocal exploring - Well-situated to explore the city's buzzing sceneViews - With sweeping views over the meandering river
The building comprises of four grain silos with chic modern interiors. A comfortable family-run hotel offering delicious seasonal cuisine in its café or restaurant and featuring an indulgent spa. All rooms have wonderful views over the Tamar River and it is just a short stroll to the city centre. See More
The Corinda Collection Hobart (Glebe, Tasmania, 7000) 9 rooms from AU$242Local exploring - Well-placed to see southern Tasmania's most popular attractions and just 15 minutes from Hobart city centreCountry Escape - Peace, privacy and spectacular views combine with a warm family welcome; popular among garden loversSights nearby - Discover the World Heritage listed Port Arthur, accessible by sea as well as over landLocal markets - Only 10-15 minutes on foot to city centre’s markets and culinary hotspots
Lavish Victorian-style accommodation, offering both rooms or cottages, on a hilltop area in the idyllic Glebe suburb of Hobart. Surrounded by lush gardens, with breakfast and an honesty-bar available. Just a 15 minute walk into the centre of Hobart making this a tranquil yet convenient stay. See More
Villa Howden Margate, Tasmania 10 rooms from AU$359Sights nearby - Just 15 mins from Hobart. Close to Port Arthur, Salamanca Market, Air Walk and Mount Wellington.Swimming Pool - Indoor salt water poolLocal markets - Salamanca Market,Great walks - Huon TrailRecommended by - Tablet
Villa Howden, located on the tranquil shores of North West Bay, offers traditional elegance and the perfect place to stay for intimate celebrations and quiet contemplation. Rooms are beautifully decorated and fresh local produce is served in peaceful dining rooms. A secluded country house. See More
Islington Hotel Hobart 11 rooms from AU$379Restrictions on children - Must be aged 16 or overViews - To Mt WellingtonLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
An old Regency house is the perfect setting for this boutique hotel with fabulous glass/stone extension,found on the outskirts of Hobart with stunning views to Mt Wellington. Art and antiques. And a swimming pool, BBQ facilities and an acre of manicured gardens including a 100 year old willow tree. See More
Piermont Retreat Tasmania 21 rooms from AU$314Families - The estate and wild surroundings are more suitable for older children or teenagers who can fully enjoy the outdoor adventuresEco break - Cottages are made of bio-sustainable stone and local timber; food is locally sourced and the hotel compostsBirdwatching - The park’s Honeymoon Bay and Sleepy Bay are good spots from which to see albatross, penguins, whales and fur sealsOn the beach - The estate has two private beaches – Cowrie Beach and Stony CreekRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Thousand Lakes Lodge Tasmania 9 rooms from AU$327Active Holiday - Experience adventure in the Tasmanian wildernessEco break - An enchanting off-grid and eco-sensitive lodgeBack to NatureBirdwatching - Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos, Swift Parrots and the majestic Tasmanian Wedge Tailed Eagle can be spotted here
MACq 01 Hobart TAS 7000 114 rooms from AU$349Local exploring - Nearby is Constitution Dock with its fishing boats and pleasure craft, Salamanca Place, Franklin Square and St David’s ParkSights nearby - The Aquatic Centre, the Hobart Waterfront and Salamanca Place are in easy distance and the Botanical Gardens are nearbyGreat walks - Great waterfront walks and tours through the city led by the hotel storytellersLocal markets - The popular Salamanca Markets and Street Eats market are within easy distance
Situated on a wharf offering stunning views over the waterfront, river and mountains. Interiors are elegant and modern with light rooms boasting indulgent bathrooms and private terraces. Featuring an interesting storytelling theme and offering organised tours of the hotel and city. Superb. See More
Woodbridge on the Derwent near Hobart, Tasmania from AU$513Outstanding location - In Derwent Valley, Tasmania's renowned gourmet food bowl with wineries and farm gate producers5* Luxury - Tasmania's only 5 star accredited hotelLocal markets - 30 mins drive to Salamanca MarketsKayaking - Kayaks available for guest useRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Mona Pavilions Hobart, Tasmania from AU$579Sights nearby - On same site as Mona museum, 15 minutes outside of HobartSwimming Pool - Heated infinity poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Outstanding locationRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Rocky Hills Retreat Tasmania 1 rooms from AU$531Hideaway - Absolute seclusion and beautiful contemporary architecture are the draw at this hilltop hideawayBack to Nature - A beautiful bush setting with magnificent coastal viewsGreat walks - On the coast and Pretty Mayfield beach is a few minutes away for some beautiful swimming, as well as pretty coastal walksViews - Stunning views of the surroudning bush and of Oyster Bay and nearby islands
An idyllic couples' one-bedroom retreat situated in stunning native bushland. Stylish and contemporary, enjoy the views from the floor-to-ceiling windows, snuggle under the cashmere rugs and generally enjoy the solitude. Featuring a fully stocked kitchen and bar. Utterly superb. See More
Avalon Coastal Retreat Tasmania 3 rooms from AU$864Full of character - Wetsuits, boogie boards, beach towels, backpacks and walking maps all providedViews - Out to Great Oyster BayOn the beach - Private beachOutstanding locationRecommended by - Fodors
This exclusive house has three delightful rooms, each with their own bathroom. Wetsuits, boogie boards, beach towels, backpacks and walking maps are all provided, and there's the option to have the fridge fully stocked up. Stunning coastal views ensures this is self-catering at its best. See More
Avalon City Retreat Hobart 2 rooms from AU$718Local exploring - A mid-city location makes this a great choice for travellers keen to experience Hobart's booming city sceneGroups - Has two king-size rooms, perfect for those travelling in a small groupViews - With its massive picture windows and generous decks, the apartment offers breathtaking city and water viewsSights nearby - The Aquatic Centre, the Hobart Waterfront, Salamanca Place and the Botanical Gardens are in easy distance
A two-bedroom apartment sits atop a 1960's office block, with contemporary steel and glass design and floor-to ceiling windows offering great views. Interiors are sleek and minimalist, there's a fully functioning kitchen and large terrace for evening drinks. An achingly cool central base. See More
Saffire Tasmania 20 rooms from AU$1734Sit-out TerraceFishing - Flathead, flounder, calamari squid and Australian salmon can be caught in Great Oyster BayGreat walks - Around Freycinet Peninsula and to Wineglass BayBirdwatching - At Pelican BayRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors
Stunning views of Coles Bay from all angles of this all inclusive luxury lodge, designed to relax and rejuvenate. Indulge in the Sapphire Spa with private suites and pavilions dotted along the coast. Fantastic walks with opportunities to see wildlife and the endangered Tasmanian devil. See More