Search the best hotels in Naples
Naples is one of those cities which offers so many reasons to visit. This is where pizza comes from; it has a view of Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii, and is surrounded by other archaeological treasures; Naples’ mishmash of cultures and nationalities has bred some incredible food markets and cuisine; its incredible art and architecture has also been influenced by the cultural influx; and the Bay of Naples is scenic with pretty islands: Capri, Ischia and Procida. Its gorgeous shoreline is where you’ll find some of the best places to stay in Naples, but we have a long list of accommodation recommendations for Naples, reflecting all the reasons you might want to visit. Our top picks include some utterly charming B&Bs, converted palazzos and villas, and luxurious bay-view hotels, as well as some fantastic options if you’re using Naples as a base for exploring the Amalfi Coast, or are here with your family.
We had to put pizza up front, but it was at the expense of Naples’ incredible collection of Roman ruins, which includes Italy’s third largest Roman amphitheatre, and a warren of 2nd century catacombs. And of the marvellous basilica, and Italy’s oldest opera house. While some of Naples is as graceful and elegant as Paris, some of it is as gritty and lived in as any work-a-day capital city. So choosing the best places to stay in Naples means choosing the sort of area you’d like to stay in, as well as picking a hotel. The Centro Storico has the gorgeous architecture and top sightseeing spots; Chiaia offers bay views and fantastic shopping; Quartieri Spangnoli’s narrow, winding streets are authentically lived in; Santa Lucia is the old fisherman’s quarter, right by the water; while Vomero's a top spot for the well-to-do traveller: boasting historic architecture, bustling cafes and lovely restaurants.
Our Gurus are obviously recommending the best places to stay in Naples for a city break, but it’s a great base for further exploring too, with easy transport links to the bay, Pompeii, Paestum, Herculaneum, Sorrento etc., and just outside the city is the Parco Nazionale del Cilento e Vallo di Diano, Italy's second largest national park.
The Best Places to Stay in Naples
For Old Fashioned Luxury
- The Grand Hotel Vesuvio has long been one of the best places to stay in Naples, known for its incredible views over the Bay of Naples — especially from its famed top-floor restaurant. Its 160 rooms and suites offer stylish decor and plenty of room sizes, and guests also have access to one of the best club spas in Naples, a private cabin cruiser and a chauffeur-driven Daimler for hire. Immaculate service.
- The Grand Hotel Vesuvio is sister to the Eurostars Hotel Excelsior, which isn’t quite as luxurious, but has more along the lines of old world charm. The view is comparable, but the Excelsior’s fin-de-siecle atmosphere has long been the choice of film starts and jet-setters. The ground floor has a series of grand, public rooms, and the restaurant is on the gorgeous top floor, spilling out onto the roof terrace. The 122 rooms and suites are all individually decorated.
- Grand Hotel Parkers is another grande dame type hotel (in fact it's the city's oldest hotel) a classical building with an impressive facade, in a stunning hillside setting overlooking the bay. Its 82 rooms and suites feature ornate ceilings, chandeliers and empire-style antiques, and incredible views. The restaurant has incredible views too, especially from its terrace. Romantic and glamorous.
- San Francesco di Monte has been converted from a Franciscan convent, built in 1557, so expect vaulted ceilings, frescoes, majolica tiles and very spacious rooms — these monk’s cells were generously proportioned. There are 44 rooms, on six floors, all with incredible bay views. What the monks probably didn’t have was a fantastic restaurant with a sunny terrace, and a roof garden with a pool — accessed by a glass elevator!
For Central Naples
- The 19 room Costantinopoli 104 is an oasis of calm in the centre of the city, converted from a beautiful villa surrounded by walls protecting the peace of its palm-shaded garden and pool. Some of the rooms are romantically decorated, with four-poster beds and frescoes, while some are simpler. Our Gurus opt for the sunnier rooms within the main villa.
- Caruso Place is a ten room hotel, which has been carefully converted from a famous, 18th century palace in the heart of historic Naples. The decor is different in each room, but chic throughout, with unfussy style that nods towards Renaissance era Naples. There’s no restaurant but they do offer an excellent breakfast, and you’re surrounded by places to eat and drink.
For a City Break
- With just seven rooms, and a friendly atmosphere, the Santa Chiara Boutique Hotel is a great choice if you’re looking for a home-from-home in the centre of Naples. Parquet floors, and neutral decor adorn well designed rooms and suites, some with mezzanine levels, huge windows, and plenty of space for a family.
For Bay Views
- With its whitewashed walls and fresh, natural decor, plus lovely sea views, the Micalo is almost a beach hotel. The best of these eight rooms and suites have private balconies too, from which only palm trees obstruct the water views. Walking distance of great shopping opportunities, Naples’ historic sights, and bars and restaurants as well as the bay.
- For a more contemporary take on incredible views, consider the Romeo Hotel, known for its views of the bay and Mount Vesuvius. Especially from the roof terrace and plunge pool. The 60 rooms and suites offer an international mix of decor, as do the hotel’s three restaurants. There’s a cooking school too, and an impressive gym and spa.
- Converted from a charming villa in upmarket, residential district, Vomero Hill, Weekend a Napoli is an elegant, yet homely option. Each of the six rooms and suites are individually decorated, with tiled floors, white walls, and bright soft furnishings, plus excellent contemporary bathrooms and plasma screen TVs. The suite also has a fabulous whirlpool tub for two!
- Converted from an elegant, 18th century palazzo, the Palazzo Alabardieri is a 44 room hotel in the chic shopping district of Chiaia, surrounded by a network of charming streets. Expect marble, chandeliers, reproduction frescoes, gilt furniture and mirrors and lavish flower arrangements in the public spaces. Plus there's a small garden and chic bar.
For Great Value
- The Hotel Piazza Bellini is a cheerful, great value choice on pretty, shady Piazza Bellini, which is lined with arty cafes and bars. This is a smartly decorated hotel with a city break vibe throughout the ten rooms, bright breakfast room, lounge and courtyard. Bathrooms are a good size, the staff are friendly, and the location is excellent.
- Il Convento is a friendly guesthouse in the authentically Neapolitan neighbourhood of Quartieri Spangnoli: a collection of narrow, winding streets with plenty of stalls and residents chatting away to each other from their balconies whilst hanging out the laundry. Il Convento has 14 rooms and suites, decorated with modern rustic style, and charming personal touches. The two rooms at the top of the building have roof gardens, and the two below that have a second double bed on a mezzanine level — ideal for families. The breakfast room is charming, and there’s a cosy bar and a courtyard.
- Attico Partenopeo is another pick in Quartieri Spangnoli, this one an eight room B&B with a sun-soaked roof terrace overlooking the rooftops of Naples and the castle. The decor is simple and comfortable: unfussy, but with cosy accents; our favourite rooms have private balconies. The breakfast room has plenty of light, and great views, and while there’s proper restaurant, you’re spoiled for choice in the immediate vicinity.
- L’Alloggio dei Vassaili is a warm and welcoming, seven room B&B in the lively and historic part of town. The rooms and suites are bijou, with rather fun traditional decor — which includes a suit of armour by reception. Some rooms have a private balcony or terrace, and all guests have access to a simple spa and sauna set up, and to the chic breakfast room, where Neapolitan pastries and excellent Italian coffee are served.
- The Belle Arti Resort is another small, centrally located B&B with chic decor, modern art and design furniture. The seven rooms started off with quite historic features, though: frescoes, domed ceilings and original stucco. Some of the rooms are large enough for families. And guests can either take breakfast in their room, or in a funky guest lounge.
Prefer a Private Apartment or Villa?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Naples Airport is just seven kilometres from the central station, or five or ten minutes by car or bus. In addition to the airport and station, Naples also has the port you can arrive into. Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci Airport is about two hours drive, or just under two hours by train.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Even in a wet winter Naples gets eight hours a day of sunshine — that’s the Mediterranean climate for you, with hot dry summers and mild winters. The tourist season traditionally begins at Easter, and runs through until the first week of November, with the warmest summer months being the busiest time for visitors. But this city can get really, really hot, so if you’re not restricted on when you can travel you might want to consider the shoulder seasons of April through mid-June, and September through mid-October. The sea remains warm in autumn, and both spring and autumn are lovely times for exploring the Amalfi Coast on foot, or by boat.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Campania
- Or even one of the best places to stay on the Amalfi Coast
- Consider the best places to stay in Capri, Pompeii or Sorrento
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Naples
Best Hotels in Naples
L'Alloggio dei Vassaili Naples 7 rooms from CA$95Sights nearby - Take a Day-Trip to Pompeii & Herculaneum. Close to all of Naples attractionsFull of character - Set in what was once the noble residence Palazzo DonnalbinaSpa - Spa area with hot tub, sauna and Turkish bathLively area - In the thick of the action.
Warm and welcoming B&B in a lively area of Naples. Comfortable, traditional rooms and a small wellness area with sauna and hot tub. Enjoy Neapolitan pastries and good Italian coffee for breakfast. Local restaurants nearby and plenty to see on the doorstep. Great value base for exploring the city. See More
Belle Arti Resort Naples 7 rooms from CA$102Value chic - Centrally located to both the nightlife and history of this Italian gem, it is great value for a young couple or groupSights nearby - Tours to Vesuvio and Pompeii from the hotelGreat walks - Through nearby Sorrento townLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Il Convento Naples 14 rooms from CA$102Value chic - A16th-century former convent, offering comfortable rooms with fantastic breakfast and private balconies at a reasonable price.Great walks - Head out of the hotel and start exploring on foot, this historic neighbourhood heaves with hidden treasures!Sights nearby - Right next to the Convent of Santa Maria Francesca, worth checking out on your visit.TraditionalRecommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel
Hotel Piazza Bellini Naples 10 rooms from CA$146Value chic - Centrally located rooms featuring original paintings by Alessandro Cocchia, terraces with panoramic views and wooden floors.Sights nearby - Close to many sights including Cappella San Severo - Cristo Velato, Santa Chiara, San Gregorio Armeno and the Duomo.Full of characterSea Views - From some rooms.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Santa Chiara Boutique Hotel Naples 7 rooms from CA$176Local exploring - Ideally located in the centre of Naples.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby churches of Santa Chiara, San Lorenzo, the Duomo and Sanmartino’s Veiled Christ.Traditional
An elegant boutique hotel boasting a position right in the very beating heart of the city. Simply dressed rooms are a welcome respite from the bustling streets; quiet, soft hues, high ceilings and sink-into beds. The perfect base for those wishing to explore the city by foot. See More
Attico Partenopeo Naples (80132 Napoli) 8 rooms from CA$189Other Activities - Visit San Carlo- one of Italy's finest opera housesClose to nightlife - Arenile, a beach club close to the city centreLocal markets - Enter the epicentre of coffee cultureSights nearby - Visit nearby Pompeii & VesuviusRecommended by - I Escape
An affordable B&B in the heart of Naples, with a sun-soaked roof terrace and views of the castle. Rooms are simple and set on the 5th floor, some with private balconies. Breakfast is on offer, although there is no restaurant, there are plenty nearby! Simple, chic and good value. See More
Micalo Naples 8 rooms from CA$205Sights nearby - Easy access to all of Naples' historical sitesLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotelOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller
Weekend a Napoli Naples 6 rooms from CA$228City Style - A chic and unique choice, in the charming Vomero Hill district, overlook this magnificent city from your leafy haven.Sights nearby - A 15 minute walk brings you to the Sant'Elmo hill and fortress, you'll be rewarded for the climb with stunning views.Cooking classes - Learn to cook your favourite Neapolitan dishes, such as penne alla Genovese or polipetti di scoglio alla luciana.Great walks - Explore this fashionable and elegant area with Vomero District Walking Tour.
Caruso Place Naples (Napoli) 10 rooms from CA$263Local exploring - Located in the heart of of the city, near the Royal Palace and Galleria Umberto I, Naples is yours to exploreSights nearby - A short walk from the impressive Piazza Plebiscito in which regular events take placeLocal markets - Check out the Pignasecca Market to sample some Neapolitan street foodSpaRecommended by - Tablet
Palazzo Alabardieri Naples 44 rooms from CA$271City Style - Just off the fashionable Piazza dei Martiri, this chandeliered, marble floored hotel is a undeniably a chic choice.Sights nearby - You can reach the Piazza del Plebiscito in under ten minutes walking from this central hotel.Full of characterTraditionalRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Michelin Travel
Elegant small hotel in a chic shopping area. This 18th century palazzo boasts marbles, chandeliers, frescoes, paintings, gilt-framed mirrors and lavish flower arrangements. Luxurious bedrooms have wooden floors and rich fabrics. A tasteful choice for the sophisticated traveller. See More
Grand Hotel Vesuvio Naples 160 rooms from CA$291Total relaxation - Large comfortable bedrooms right on the seafront, make the most of the wellness area with hot tub, sauna and steam bath.Local exploring - Prime positioning opposite Castel dell'Ovo iIn the historic quarter of Santa Lucia and overlooking the sea.Sights nearby - A few steps from the Royal Palace, Plebiscito Square and the San Carlo Theatre.Views - Great views from hotel
Immaculate service and luxurious facilities on the seafront at Naples' most prestigious hotel. Top floor restaurant famous for its views over the bay, fantastic club spa, great meeting rooms, private cabin cruiser and chauffeur driven Daimler available. Colourful rooms with balconies over the bay. See More
Costantinopoli 104 Naples 19 rooms from CA$293Local exploring - In the heart of the Centro Storico, steps from Piazza Bellini and the churches of Santa Chiara, Gesu Nuovo and San Severo.City Style - An oasis of leafy green peace in this hectic city- think inviting pool beneath the shade of a magnolia and red cyclamen.Great walks - Naples is a city to explore on foot, step out of the hotel and explore the historic streets of the old town.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor poolRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Michelin Travel
Stylish oasis of calm with a small pool and tree-shaded garden in the city centre, a stone's throw from the centro storico. Individually decorated rooms in modern-classic style, some with wooden floors and four posters, others with tiled floors, pastel colours and artworks. A very dashing villa. See More
Grand Hotel Parkers Naples 82 rooms from CA$298Total relaxation - Whether it's lounging on the rooftop, indulging in the cigar lounge or pampering in the spa, relaxtion is on the cards.City Style - Perched on the Corso Vittorio Emanuele above palm trees and rooftops, with traditionally decorated Empire-style rooms.Romantic - Good for couples.SpaRecommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
Comfortable, old-style luxury in a stunning hilltop setting. Understated neoclassical elegance - ornate ceilings, chandeliers, Empire-style antiques. Fabulous far-reaching views from the rooms and top-floor restaurant with summer terrace. A destination that oozes classical romance and glamour. See More
San Francesco di Monte Naples 44 rooms from CA$307City Style - A magnificent 16th-century monastery with two rooftop pools and a restaurant boasting 360° views over the Gulf of Naples.Sights nearby - Right at the foot of the Castel Sant'Elmo, a medieval fortress located on a hilltop overlooking the city.Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Spartan elegance with a view in a former convent. Original features dominate the interiors - vaulted ceilings, frescoes, majolica tiles - while the rooms maintain soft elegance and classic furnishings. Fantastic terrace restaurant and roof top swimming pool. A beautiful spot. See More
Eurostars Hotel Excelsior Naples (Campania) 122 rooms from CA$408Local exploring - Right on the Lungomare Caracciolo, the most popular spot for tourists, boasting Naples' world famous views.Great walks - Head down to the nearby Marina or beach for an after breakfast stroll.Views - Over Gulf of Naples, Mount Vesuvius and the island of Capri.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel
Romeo Hotel Naples 60 rooms from CA$426Sights nearby - Naples has many historic churches inclusing the 15th century Gesù Nuovo and Naples Cathedral.Cooking classes - The Sorrento Cooking School offers lessons in the region's famous local cuisines.Swimming Pool - Stunning rooftop pool with spectacular views over the Bay of NaplesSailing - From the port take a scenic boat ride to Capri or Sorrento.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Mr & Mrs Smith
With views overlooking the Bay of Naples and Mt Vesuvias this hotel is a modern haven in an ancient city. Like the decor, a mix of modern and antique, from all over the world, the three restaurants' menus are a blend of traditional and haute cuisine. There is an extensive spa, gym and outdoor pool. See More