Search the best hotels in Viareggio
Between the glistening blue of the Tyrrhenian Sea and the bright marmoreal peaks of the Massa Carrara stands Viareggio. The ideal place for a family seaside holiday, the city lies alongside a 10km stretch of golden sandy beaches, lined with cute cafes and gelato shops and it is here that you will find the best places to stay in Viareggio.
The city began life in 1172 when it was established as the port of nearby Lucca: the Torre Matilde, a fort that still stands today, was erected around this time and it is around these walls that Viareggio sprang. However, it was not until the 19th-century that the city saw a boom in its fortunes: a harbour was built in 1819, and in 1822 it became the hostess of Napolean Bonaparte's sister, whose holiday here quickly put Viareggio on the map. In the same year, the body of the Romantic poet Percy Shelley washed up on one of its beaches. By the 20th-century, art-deco villas and liberty-style buildings began popping up around the city, and fantastic art galleries like the Villa Paolina Civic Museum opened up.
However Viareggio remains surprisingly untouched and relatively unknown by foreign tourists though it does remain a favourite of Italians, who flock to its lovely streets every year for the world-famous Carnevale, that takes over the streets and soul of Viareggio for 4 weeks every Spring. By day, parades of papier-mache floats trundle through the city, bearing caricatures of politicians and celebrities; by night, the streets come alive with music, dancing and parties that run till dawn.
What not to miss
- If you're holidaying in the springtime, be sure to check out the Carnevale.
- Lounge in the heat of the Tuscan sun at one of its beaches - Darsena or Lecciona.
- Visit the remains of the Torre Matilde, the defensive tower that the city was built around.
- Head to the Villa Paolina Civic Museum and check out the modern artworks.
- Stroll down La Passeggiata, past the gelato shops, chic cafes and seafood restaurants.
- For a day trip, head out to either Florence, Lucca or Pisa - all within a 2 hour train ride.
This is a destination with plenty to offer; browse through our selection of the best places to stay in Viareggio to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Viareggio
- The Grande Hotel Principe di Piemonte is a splendid, 1920s-built charmer right on the seafront in Viareggio. There are 106 rooms and suites split over five floors, with a different decorating scheme on each. There’s also a great spa and a lovely rooftop pool. And you’re just opposite the Excelsior Beach Club, a well-groomed sandy beach with all the facilities you might need.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Pisa International Airport and get a train or taxi to Viareggio, 23km away.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the springtime when the temperature ranges between 9 and 23 degrees, and the Carnevale is in full swing! The peak summer months are extremely busy and temperatures can soar.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include nearby Forte dei Marmi
- or all the best places to stay in Tuscany.
- Alternatively, contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Viareggio
Best Hotels in Viareggio
Palace Hotel, Viareggio Viareggio 73 rooms from CA$198Local exploring - The fantastic location means both beach and town are accessible by foot. The surrounding area offers lots of day trip optionsBeach Life - The roof terrace and some rooms are sea-facing. Access to a private-beach with loungers and swimming pool can be arrangedSights nearby - Lucca – famous for art galleries and museums - and Pisa are both 30 minutes drive. Cinque Terre can be accessed by ferrySwimming Pool - Available at extra charge as part of beach club package
Traditional Italian hotel with stunning sea-front location in Viareggio. A roof-top terrace offers fantastic views over the nearby beach, as do many rooms. Two hotel restaurants, 'Belle Epoque' and 'Deco' mean you don't have to go far to eat well. Pisa, Lucca and Cinque Terra are all close by. See More
Hotel Plaza e de Russie Viareggio 51 rooms from CA$278Short break - A complete change of scenery yet easy to access as located only 30km from Pisa's airportBeach Life - The hotel is set on the main promenade of Viareggio, just 50m from the beachFoodies - Michelin-starred 'Ristorante Lunasiais' is located on the propertySights nearby - Viareggio's close proximity to both Pisa and Lucca mean the art and cultural tours can be easily arrangedRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Historic hotel that has been playing host to the jet-set since 1871. Endless activities can be organised and a Michelin-starred restaurant is located on-site. It's glamorous beach-front location, walking access to bars, galleries, shops and clubs makes this a crowd-pleasing property. See More
Grande Hotel Principe di Piemonte Viareggio 106 rooms from CA$437Restaurant - Two excellent restaurants with panaromic views of the Apuane Alps, the sea and the Viareggio promenadeSpa - Elegant spa, with everything from holistic treatments to personal trainersFamilies - An ideal location for families, children and grandparentsFoodies - Il Piccolo Principe Restaurant holds 2 Michelin StarsRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Splendid, luxurious hotel built in the 1920s on Viareggio's sea front. Five floors each with five distinctive styles; choose from International, Deco, Colonial, Empire or Modern. Rooftop pool and spa. The smart Excelsior Beach Club is right opposite - a groomed sandy beach with all the facilities See More