Search the best hotels in Vienna
The Austrian capital has always been dignified, but there's a thick layer of whipped cream around almost every corner. Its baroque architecture, art galleries and museums, rich musical heritage and cafés and cakes have been magnets for tourists since the days of the Grand Tour. Our selection of the best places to stay in Vienna varies from the Hotel Sacher, an institution where old world charm meets modern luxury to the Pension Suzanne, a family run guesthouse with superb service and an unbeatable central location, plus a good range of design hotels, spa hotels and boutique stays. If it's an apartment you're after, check out the choice with our online partner, Booking.com.
Part of the city's appeal is its compact centre ('innere stadt'), which forms the 1st District. All the sights, restaurants and cafés and best places to stay in Vienna are within an easy walk. The medieval city is contained by a broad horseshoe-shaped road of 19th-century palaces, the Ringstrasse, where all the grand old hotels are found.
Although a 1st District address is plum, the neighbouring districts, such as 4th, 7th and 8th, are still convenient and the hotels often better value. Viennese hotels are, almost without exception, well-run and pristine (even the most modest pension has good quality linen), but many are decorated in an oppressive Biedermeier style. We have tried to ferret out the elegant ones, as well as recommending a number of fresh, contemporary boutique hotels.
The Christkindlmärkte always draw crowds when, from the end of November to Christmas, little huts spring up on streets throughout the city, selling presents, food and warming Glühwein. The city becomes a magical destination at this time of year and the best places to stay in Vienna get booked up well in advance, so get organised and plan well ahead.
What not to miss
- Visit St Stephen's Cathedral towering above the streets of the Innere Stadt, this massive cathedral is the true centerpiece of Vienna
- Enjoy numerous works by the European Masters at the Museum of Fine Art including the likes of Titian, Velasquez, Van Dyke and Rubens
- Explore the majestic and imposing Schonbrunn Palace
- Get a true sense of the city at the bustling Naschmarkt
- Watch a suitably grand performance at the State Opera House
Its popularity has continued to grow and now, with budget airlines flying directly to the city, and to nearby Bratislava, Vienna has never been cheaper or easier to get to. The best places to stay in Vienna reflect this with an increasing number of properties popping up to suit even the strictest of budgets.
The Best Places to Stay in Vienna
For Central location
- The Grand Hotel Wien has been a Viennese hub since the early 20th century and still exudes class and style.
- The Hotel Imperial, Vienna's grand dame, opened its doors in 1873 and is still in fantastic condition with massive suites and marble everywhere!
Best for contemporary
- Our pick of the best contemporary places to stay in Vienna includes the Hollman Beletage - hard to find, but persevere, it's worth it!
- Do&Co a chic property with the best location in town and fresh modern architecture and design.
- Alternatively check in to the Altstadt. This hotel is just outside the Ring, but offers a great mix of styles from classic to avant-garde and houses the owner's stunning art collection.
Best for budget
- A good choice for those trying to save their Euros is the Pension Nossek, a traditional and great value guesthouse with a superb central location. Take note it's hugely popular, so book well in advance!
- Boutique, budget and very central the charming Saint Shermin is a real catch.
- For something a little different from Vienna's usual grand interiors try Hotel Daniel, Vienna; it's chic, minimalist and environmentally conscious.
- Hotel Kartnerhof is a great central choice for those on a budget. Small doubles or twin rooms start from as little as €109.
Best for Christmas Markets
- Konig Von Ungarn, a classical style hotel ideally located very close to St Stephens Cathedral in a 16th century building.
Best for Luxury
- Palais Hansen's traditional neoclassical facade encases modern architecture and contemporary comforts at the very highest level
- Check into the Ritz Carlton, Vienna for some serious pampering. Find palatial rooms and suites, state of the art spa, excellent restaurants, and a roof top bar with panoramic views over Vienna's skyline
- Formerly Prince of Württemberg's Palace now uber luxury hotel, the Imperial is a hard one to beat
Best for foodies
- Das Triest offers up both a fashionable location and superb Northern Italian restaurant complete with atmospheric courtyard
- Palais Hansen plays host to a lavish Michelin starred restaurant, ideal for some true indulgence
- Palais Coburg is another good foodie choice. It's a five-star establishment with two Michelin starred fine dining at Silvio Nickol.
Best for spa breaks
- The contemporary Sans Souci offers a fabulous state of the art spa that includes an indoor pool bedecked with chandeliers
For a city centre apartment
- If you've decided that you'd prefer a city centre apartment, then we recommend you check out the wide range with our online partner, Booking.com.
- Fly to Vienna International Airport located just 18km from the city centre.
- Vienna is well connected by train, so easily reachable from many major European cities and numerous destinations across Austria.
- Vienna is warm and moist in summer, but come winter it dries out and drops below freezing. This variation of temperature is apparent during a single day too, with summer maximum temperatures around 30°C during the day, but dropping to around 14°C at night. June is wet, but the showers are short, with July and August still expecting some rainy days. But summer is also the sunniest time to visit, so it’s still the most popular. Autumn is fresh and mild and very pleasant, and spring tends to warm up quite quickly. It’s cold, but visiting during the Christkindlmärkte, which runs from the end of November until Christmas, is quite magical!
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Vienna and start to plan your stay
- or please feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
- Alternatively take a look at all our recommendations in the equally historically rich 'neighbouring' Bratislava.
Monthly Weather in Vienna
Best Hotels in Vienna
Magdas Hotel Vienna 88 rooms from €80City Style - Both an exciting and innovative social enteprise and a uber-trendy hangout hotel!Local exploring - Located just 15-minutes from the city centre and its many attractions.Sights nearby - Be sure to check out the impressive Baroque Schönbrunn Palace.Boutique
A trendy hotel and social enterprise in leafy Prater park. Staffed by 2/3s refugees you'll be sure of a fascinating cultural blend. Contemporary design throughout with an emphasis on art. A chic salon is perfect for meetings both business and social. Easy access to the city centre. Inspirational! See More
Ruby Marie Hotel Vienna 186 rooms from €89City Style - An achingly cool rooftop bar acts as the heart and sole of this hip bolthole, augmented by sleek modern rooms.Sights nearby - Just a 15 minute walk from the Hofburg and the Spanish Riding School.Local markets - Ten minutes from the Naschmarkt, an excellent food market in Vienna.Lively - Hip and happening.
A sleek, modern hotel in Vienna's trendy 7th district. The bright white rooms are spacious and comfortable and those with attached balconies have beautiful views over Vienna. Enjoy a drink at the bar before heading out to explore the fantastic restaurants and hip bars that litter this area. See More
Hotel Daniel, Vienna Vienna 116 rooms from €99Value chicCity StyleSit-out TerraceSights nearby - 15 mins walk to the city centre. Schloss Belvedere and the Botanical Gardens are close by.
A refreshing hotel. Minimalist, earthy, and focused on saving the environment. All white rooms speckled with neutral colours, fantastic bakery and restaurant, lovely terrace, beehives on the rooftop and vespas to rent. A modern traveller's dream and great value - but think Green Peace hip. See More
Ruby Sofie Hotel Vienna 77 rooms from €99Local markets - Twenty minutes from Naschmarkt, an excellent local food market.Sights nearby - 15 minutes walk from St Stephen's Dome and Karlsplatz.
Hotel am Brillantengrund Vienna 34 rooms from €99Local exploring - Make the most out of your location to truly see all that the city has to offerSights nearby - Wander along Graben, Vienna's main street, or go visit the absolutely stunning Belvedere PalaceFull of characterBoutique
Hotel am Brillantengrund is situated in a Biedermer-style building in Vienna's 7th district. It offers shabby chic accommodation with plenty of vintage furniture and the restaurant specialises in Philippine specialities. Relax with a drink in the courtyard under the palm trees! A charming city stay. See More
Hotel Karntnerhof Vienna 44 rooms from €109Sights nearby - 3 minutes walk from St Stephens CathedralShort breakLocal markets - Good for local colour.Traditional
Pension Suzanne Vienna 25 rooms from €115Local exploring - A historic property located in the heart of Vienna within walking distance of the main sights.Sights nearby - Just a short walk from Saint Stephen's Cathedral, Hofburg Palace and the Spanish Riding School.Lively - Hip and happening.TraditionalRecommended by - Frommers
25 Hours Hotel, Vienna Vienna 219 rooms from €117Sights nearby - In the heart of the Museums QuartierRestaurant - Italian themed restaurant and summer burger gardenLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel Rathaus - Wein & Design Vienna 39 rooms from €130City StyleQuirky - The theme that runs through the hotel is wine! Everything hints at wine, from the room products to the shape of your plate!Traditional - A traditional house with wonderfully modern interiors.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Das Tyrol Vienna 30 rooms from €143Local exploring - Ideally situated for making the most of Vienna, everything is within walking distance, and the staff are full of advice.City Style - A stylish choice with interiors by Wittmann, Backhausen and Thonet, Prosecco breakfast and private spa!Great walks - This section of the city has recently been pedestrianised making it the ideal for exploring on foot.Local markets - The Museums Quartier (MQ) is right across the road and is packed with eateries, museums and shops.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A chic contemporary renovation of century-old house, in the heart of Vienna. Elegant interiors by top local designers, meet stunning works by renowned artists and original features such as the wrought-iron lift door. The helpful staff and small but lovely spa complete the picture. See More
Saint Shermin Vienna 10 rooms from €144Great walks - Spend a day in the Vienna WoodsSights nearby - Belvedere PalaceRestaurant - Breakfast OnlyShort break
A boutique bed and breakfast hotel in the heart of Vienna with a personal atmosphere and welcoming staff. A home away from home with large rooms and everyday comforts. Close to lots of local bars and restaurants, a good spot to explore this culture filled city and great value too. See More
Levante Parliament Vienna 67 rooms from €145Local markets - A stone's throw from Rathausplatz which hosts Vienna's Christmas Market and much more.Sights nearby - Close to the Austrian parliament and Vienna city hallDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.TraditionalRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel Beethoven Vienna 47 rooms from €165Value chic - Lovely traditional accommodation, in a top location at a great price-what more could you ask for?Local exploring - Head off sightseeing during the day to see all that the city has to offerShort break - Located just ten minutes away from Vienna International Airport!Sights nearby - Be sure to see the historic St Stephen's Cathedral and Belvedere PalaceRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Pension Nossek Vienna 30 rooms from €165Local exploring - Right in the thick of Vienna's premier cultural district, perfect for exploring on foot or two wheels.Sights nearby - Saint Stephens Cathedral is within a 5 minute walk and well worth checking out.TraditionalRecommended by - Fodors
Schreiners Essen und Wohnen Vienna 5 rooms from €178Local exploring - Well located for easy access to many of the city's main attractions.Sights nearby - Be sure not to miss the impressive Baroque Schonbrunn Palace.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
A chic boutique property in the centre of Vienna yet boasting a quiet garden location. Smart rooms are simply designed with pine furniture, whitewashed walls and large sash windows. A central courtyard is the perfect spot to unwind with a regional tipple. The ideal inner city hideaway. See More
Hotel Grand Ferdinand Vienna 188 rooms from €187Romantic Break - Deep soaking tubs, plush bedding, spectacular views and fantastic food combine to make this a couples paradise.City Style - Sleek, smooth and achingly cool- this hotel exudes an elegance and refined charm like no other!Local markets - Located in the heart of the city, easy to explore important sights, restaurants and shopsSights nearby - The Vienna State Opera and the City park are moments away.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
A chic boutique hotel on the bustling Ringstrabe boulevard, in the heart of the city. Uniquely designed rooms, high end furnishings and open bathrooms with tubs. There are three gourmet restaurants to choose from and the rooftop pool offers great views of the city. An understated glamorous choice. See More
Altstadt Vienna Vienna 45 rooms from €189Romantic Break - Couples should pick one of the Boudoir-inspired suites- decked out with mural-sized photographic nudes and sultry red velvet.City Style - A renovated townhouse nestled in the arty district of Spittelberg, with chic modern interiors.Great walks - Get out and explore the hip young district of Spittelberg on foot.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
A thoroughly contemporary hotel encased in a traditional shell. Each room is entirely unique and individually designed by designers and architects. The owner's adorned the walls with contemporary art including Warhole's and Prachensky's. The food is excellent and locally inspired. A chic option. See More
Topazz Vienna 33 rooms from €196Sights nearby - Superb location right in the heart of the city. Walking distance to most major attractions.City StyleLocal markets - Good for local colour.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
A 21st century take on historic Vienna in the very heart of the old city. Comfortable, stylish, funky and fun rooms. The elliptical window seats and modern artwork in every room are stunning features. Good bistro and access to its sister hotel's excellent restaurant and humming rooftop bar. See More
Hollmann Beletage Vienna 25 rooms from €207City Style - Nestled in a quiet quarter of the old city centre, full of character and charm with orginal artwork and quirky details.Sights nearby - The nearby Hofburg Palace complex houses the National Library and the Presidential Office amongst other sites.Lively - Hip and happening.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet, Michelin Travel
König von Ungarn Vienna 33 rooms from €220Sights nearby - Only 50 m away from the beautiful Saint Stephen's Cathedral.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.BoutiqueRecommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel, Fodors
Sans Souci Vienna 63 rooms from €229City StyleSpa breaksLuxurySights nearby - Opposite the Museum QuarterRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel Lamée Vienna (01. Innere Stadt) 32 rooms from €234Romantic Break - Dark veneers, taupe silks, velvet furniture and marble bathrooms, enjoy returning to hotel after wandering this glorious citySights nearby - St. Stephen's CathedralGreat walks - In Viennese City ParkRestaurant - Recommended.
Sumptous 5* hotel in city centre. Interiors have stunning views from full length windows, enormous dark marble bathrooms and luxurious fabrics. Roof terrace for panoramic cocktails. Restaurant offers Austrian specialities in glamorous dining room. Romantic, intimate and superb location. See More
The Guest House Vienna 39 rooms from €235Local exploring - With the feel of a private apartment, but with 5* hotel service, a chic base to explore Vienna's streetsSights nearby - Hofburg Imperial Palace & St Stephen's CathedralGreat walks - Five minute walk from Burggarten ParkViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
DO & CO Vienna 43 rooms from €260Foodies - The restaurant is sure to knock your socks off with an impressive traditional Austrian fare plus top notch sushi and sashmi bar.City Style - Sleek and understated chic design, impeccable service and unbeatable location with views over Stephansplatz.Local markets - Have a culinary adventure at nearby Vienna Naschmarkt, packed with stalls and restaurants.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive St. Stephens Cathedral or simply admire its facade from the terrace.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel, Design Hotels
Palais Hansen Vienna 152 rooms from €281Foodies - Michelin starred restaurant.Spa breaks - Sate of the art spa.City Style5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
An exquisite Five Star hotel. A traditional neoclassical facade encases modern architecture and contemporary comforts at the highest level. Beautiful rooms and suites, Michelin starred restaurant, lively bars, and a state of the art spa. A great choice for the luxury traveller. See More
Grand Hotel Wien Vienna 205 rooms from €330Foodies - Foodie heaven from the traditional Japanese restaurant Unkai to the the Michelin-starred Le Ciel by Toni Mörwald.Total relaxation - With a sauna, steam bath and spa treatments plus relaxation zone and knockout cocktails its hard not to realax.Full of characterSpaRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Ritz Carlton, Vienna Vienna 202 rooms from €355Roof terrace - Stunning views from the roof terrace bar.Foodies - Fantastic restaurant options.Romantic Break5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
Hotel Sacher Vienna 149 rooms from €430Spa breaks - A luxurious spa using only the best products including including La Prairie, Ligne St. Barth and their unique Time to Chocolate.City Style - Lavishly decorated in damask, silks, gold, brass and marble- this hotel is a Viennese 'institution'TraditionalSights nearby - Positioned opposite the State Opera and right next to the Kärntner Straße.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Old world charm and modern luxury. An 'institution' in the heart of Vienna. Chic white rooms with marble bathrooms and large sash windows. Ornate living rooms and restaurants are the place to be seen. An excellent concierge service. A spa with a wide range of treatments. Pure indulgence. See More
Hotel Imperial Vienna 138 rooms from €439Romantic Break - A truly spoiling stay, treat yourselves to champagne breakfast in the ballroom or private dinner in your sumptuous suite.City Style - Location on the Ringstrasse, with suites adorned with chandeliers, swagged fabrics, orginal art and private butlers.Sights nearby - Just down the road from the Vienna State Opera, the Hofburg Imperial Palace, and St. Stephen's Cathedral.Full of characterRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Prince of Württemberg's Palace turned luxury hotel in 1873 offers grandeur, history and comfort. Massive rooms and suites are classic in style. Enjoy the award winning restaurant, the popular bar and the live music entertainment. With metres upon metres of marble, this is a truly majestic stay. See More
Palais Coburg Vienna 34 rooms from €695Foodies - Restaurant Silvio Nickol holds two Michelin stars.City StyleWellbeing5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - CN Traveller