Search the best hotels in Aveyron
The Aveyron is a peaceful rural department in Southwestern France. It’s not a well-known destination for visitors, but if you’re looking for a French countryside escape and you like cheese and wine, then this may be the perfect destination for you. The cheese is Roquefort, and Roquefort-sur-Soulzon is definitely one of the best places to stay in Aveyron if you like cheese. And if you’re looking for a base to see the region then one of the best places to stay in Aveyron is probably the main town, or prefecture, Rodez.
This region is a mix of high rocky plateaus and deep gorges. The rivers Aveyron, which gives the department its name, Lot, Tarn and Truyère have carved the landscape into interesting shapes, and you’ll often see pretty villages tucked in steep, quarry-like formations or into the hairpin bend of a river.
Some of these villages are postcard perfect, and hopping between them is one of the nicest ways to spend time in this region. Stopping every now and then to enjoy some food and an especially beautiful view. Some of the prettiest villages are Belcastel, Brousse-le-Chateâu, Romanesque Conques, medieval Estaing and La Couvertoirade.
Aveyron is also perfect for walkers.
What Not To Miss
- The splendid Abbatiale Sainte-Foy de Conques is a Romanesque gem. The interiors are outstanding, whilst they also provide plenty of information on the church's history if you want to find out more.
- The Millau Viaduct is a lovely spot. Marvel at this brilliant piece of modern engineering whilst also basking in the lovely surrounds.
- Located in Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon. the Commanderie Templière (or Templar Commandery) was the historic base of the Knights Templar in the region. The building is beautifully preserved, and you'll be utterly fascinated by the illuminating tales told of their exploits.
Where To Stay
- Rodez, the prefecture of the Aveyron department, is an ideal starting point from which to explore the region. Full of wonderful Gothic architecture, you'll be charmed by Old Rodez and enjoy lovely walks through the verdant parks.
- Onet-le-Château is a quieter spot located a short distance outside Rodez. Ideal if you fancy a more laidback holiday...
- Conques is a delightful little town that's full of history - you'll wander around feeling like you've been transported back to the 15th century!
Though not the best known region in France, the best places to stay in the Aveyron will still be busy during July and August. So if you want to be sure of a room, get organised and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in the Aveyron
- La Ferme de Bourran is a converted manor house right in the heart of Rodez. It offers seven contemporary rooms and four star comfort with loads of activities, from board games to badminton. There’s also a large garden and terrace. And the room service is gourmet.
- The Hotel Herve Busset is a chic, ten room hotel on the river Dourdou. The decor is chic and contemporary, with designer furniture. Some of the rooms have beautiful valley views from their private balconies. Plus there’s a pool, stone terraces and a lovely garden. There’s also an excellent restaurant.
- For something a bit more romantic, try the Château de Labro, a beautiful 17th Century château set in its own stunning parklands and vineyards. There’s a range of accommodation, from lovely bedrooms, an apartment for two and a treehouse with a chandelier. There’s also an enormous pool and spa facilities, and the food is French and very good.
For a fabulous chateau stay
- If you're looking for an authentic chateau stay, book into the Chateau de la Sevayrie, one of the oldest houses in the south of France. Its interiors are full of character and furnished with genuine period tapestries and beautiful antiques. Plus there's a heated pool with a glorious view for lazy days!
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you'd prefer the flexibility of a self-catering option, then browse through the wide selection available online with our partner Booking.com.
- If you're flying into the area then head to Rodez-Aveyron Airport, located about 10km outside Rodez.
- You're best off visiting in the summer months when the temperature usually peaks around the late 20s °C.
- If you plan to hire a car to explore further afield, then check out the selection available with our partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure where to stay?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Aveyron
- Expand your search to include the nearby Lot or Dordogne
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice
Monthly Weather in Aveyron
Best Hotels in Aveyron
La Ferme de Bourran Rodez, Aveyron 7 rooms from £95Sights nearby - Aveyron’s nicest villages Belcastel, Conques, Sauveterre de Rouergue.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
A Four Star manor house in the town centre of Rodez. Plenty of on site activities perfect for families; table tennis, board games, badminton. Contemporary chic rooms with lots of natural light, all the mod cons, and gourmet room service. Large garden, terrace, and pretty villages to discover. See More
Chateau de Labro Onet-le-Château, Aveyron 15 rooms from £96Romantic Break - Stunning surroundings and grand architecture.Wine tasting - The chateau has its own working vineyard.Views - Lovely valley views.Sights nearby - Place d'Armes and Rodez Cathedral.Recommended by - Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Hotel Herve Busset Conques, Aveyron 10 rooms from £112Romantic Break - Enjoy the chic pool area, designer rooms, excellent French cuisine, and miles of cycle routes to enjoy with a picnicGreat walks - Along the route of Treasure of Sainte-Foy of ConquesLocal markets - In Marcillac every ThursdaySights nearby - Castle of ColombierRecommended by - Michelin Travel
La Singuliere Aveyron 4 rooms from £104Local exploring - Lots to see in the beautiful surrounding countryside, and guests have access to bicycles to exploreSights nearby - The Millau Viaduct (the highest in the world), Notre Dame Cathedral in Rodez and L'Aven Armand are all in driving distanceGreat walks - There are many hiking trails in the nearby forests and hills of the regionKayaking - The impressive Les Gorges du Tarn can be explored on kayaks
A charming country house B&B surrounded by picturesque fields and woods. Interiors combine rustic charm and elegance, with cosy fireplaces, wooden beams, antiques and tasteful furnishings. Breakfast is provided and hearty set menu dinners are available on request. A stylish yet very homely stay. See More
Chateau de Canac Rodez (12850 Onet-le-Château) 3 rooms from £148Local exploring - Located at the gateway of Rodez, Château de Canac is a perfect place to visit the Aveyron region and its many sightsSights nearby - The Viaduct of Millau, the highest viaduct in the world, is worth checking out; in Rodez, visit Notre Dame CathedralGreat walks - There are many hiking trails in the nearby forests and in the Marcillac vineyardsRestrictions on childrenRecommended by - Sawdays
A lovely chateau set in the medieval town of Rodez with pretty grounds and grand interiors featuring mahogany panelling and opulent fireplaces. Rooms are furnished in a period style with antiques, elaborate bedsteads, claw-foot baths and wonderful views. A characterful spot for a rural break. See More
Chateau de la Servayrie Aveyron 3 rooms from £156Country Escape - A tranquil and majestic spot to unwind in picturesque countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Albi to admire the Berbie Palace, cathedral and bridge.Great walks - Take long scenic walks starting straight from the property.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
A majestic chateau boasting the title as one of the oldest houses in the south of France. Interiors are brimming with character featuring open fireplaces, tapestries and packed full of antiques. Sumptuous breakfasts are served, there's a heated outdoor pool and plenty to discover in the region. See More