Best beach hotels on Tenerife
The largest of all the Canary Islands, Tenerife is also the best-known - and with good reason. Its sunshine is practically guaranteed year-round; there are vast, glowing-white beaches, it’s family-friendly - plus it’s only a four-hour flight. Not surprisingly, it is one of Britain’s top winter-sun destinations. But if you want a fun, fly-and-flop holiday at any time of year, Tenerife should be near the top of your list. Plus, the best beach hotels on Tenerife are geared up to cater for everyone, whether you’re on a romantic break, a family trip or you want some watery action.
Diving, sailing, surfing and windsurfing - fishing, too - are available around the island, though tend to be concentrated around the popular resorts. Top of this list are Los Cristianos, Playa de las Américas and Costa Adeje in the south-west. You perhaps won’t find much authentic Canarian charm, here, but you will find plenty of soft-white sands, dazzling neon signs and a vast array of hotels, bars and restaurants - and 24-hour fun. Families will also welcome the coast’s clear, shallow waters.
If you want somewhere a little quieter, head to Las Galletas a few miles south of the sprawling main resorts. For somewhere with a touch of bohemian charm and excellent kitesurfing, try El Médano. And if you don’t mind the lack of a decent beach but a dramatic coastline and rocky coves, check out places around Garachico.
Use our guide to the best beach hotels on Tenerife and start to plan your trip. But don't forget that this is a very popular destination, so don't leave it till the last minute to book!
For value for money
- Hotel el Patio, a former manor house near Garachico, offers traditionally furnished rooms, an outdoor pool surrounded by gardens and great value - rooms start from just €90 B&B
- Close to the beach but surrounded by banana plantations, the adults only Hotel Rural el Navio has simple but charming rooms - some with balconies or terraces - and a pool. Doubles here start from €100 B&B.
For a luxury resort hotel
- The luxury Hotel Botanico, in Puerto de la Cruz, has contemporary-classic rooms, including penthouse suites and some with private hot-tubs, indoor and outdoor pools, a choice of four restaurants, and a spa.
- The sprawling Villa Cortes in Playa de las Américas has all you could want for a luxury beach holiday with six restaurants, four bars, a spa, private cabanas, richly furnished rooms and a vast pool with waterfalls.
- Ritz Carlton Abama is a spectacular five star resort overlooking the Atlantic. Moorish style architecture, sumptuous rooms and suites, ten restaurants, a deluxe spa and a private beach accessed via the hotel's own funicular!
- Jardines des Nivaria also boasts a superb location in Costa Adeje. It offers smart accommodation, stunning pool, spoiling spa and wide choice of restaurants and bars.
- With a private beach, lush tropical gardens, Disney-style architecture, plus a choice of rooms, suites and individual villas, Bahia del Duque is a real fantasy getaway. Every whim can be met - and children will love the games room and water sports.
- The contemporary-style Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf has balconied rooms, many with sea-views, a choice of pools and plenty of child-friendly activities.
- Roca Nivaria is ideal for families with good accommodation, kids' club, mini golf, playground, table tennis and much more. There are three restaurants and a bar, plus you're just two minutes walk from the beach.
For a traditional stay
- On the coast at Garachico La Quinta Roja, a traditional manor house, offers rustic-chic rooms, a small spa and a quiet inner courtyard.
- The chic Hotel San Roque at Garachico, a converted 18th-century mansion, is a romantic hideaway with cool rooms mixing vintage and contemporary with shots of colour.
- With its infinity pool, beachfront position and butler service, you will want for very little at the adults-only Red Level Gran Melia Palacio de Isora. Rooms are chic and stylish in white-on-white, some with private pools.
- Hacienda del Conde is located off the beaten track on the western end of Tenerife's North Coast. It boasts luxurious accommodation, choice of restaurants, two swimming pools, extensive spa and a superb Seve Ballesteros designed golf course!
Hotel el Patio 26 rooms from $103Garachico, Tenerife
A sedate manor house set with lush grounds, close to the beach, and surrounded by nature reserves. Traditional elegant bedrooms have pastel painted walls and attractive furnishings. Swimming pool, terraces and gardens. A family spot at a great price.Value chicSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.TraditionalRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Hotel Rural El Navio 8 rooms from $114Alcalá, Tenerife
A charming little hotel on the coastline surrounded by banana plantations and seaviews. Basic, but characterful rooms have stone floors, iron beds, attractive rugs, and private balconies. A lovely rural spot close to the beaches and mountain areas.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorTraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Hotel Botanico 252 rooms from $189Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife
A FIve Star spa hotel in the city centre with lovely sea views, excellent restaurants, kids club, penthouse suites, and botanical gardens. Simple yet elegant rooms and suites have private balconies, some with hot tubs, all the mod cons, and far reaching views out to sea. A luxury beach holiday.Views - Fantastic views of the Atlantic Ocean and Mount TeideFamilies5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Beach LifeRecommended by - CN Traveller
Villa Cortes 151 rooms from $327Playa de la Américas, Tenerife
Villa Cortes is a vision of luxury in Playas de las Americas, equipped with all the bells and whistles of a five-star resort. All your culinary needs are met by six restaurants and a further four bars add a bit of kick to the atmosphere. A place to relax, whether it's on the beach or in the spa.Beach Life - Just a five minutes walk from the beach, with a funky beach bar, a beach club restaurant and sun terraces with Balinese beds.Honeymoons - A vibrant and opulent escape, filled with Arabic tiles, romantic courtyards, fragrant gardens and plush suites.Great walks - Make the most of the picturesque walking routes along the surrounding coastline.Romantic - Good for couples.
Ritz Carlton Abama 461 rooms from $464Guía de Isora, Tenerife
A spectacular, Moorish-inspired five-star resort overlooking the Atlantic. Plush Colonial-style rooms with private balconies and pampering en suites. The hotel covers all the bases with ten restaurants, a deluxe spa, a championship golf course and much more. An opulent escape.Foodies - The hotel offers ten restaurants with MB having two michelin stars, and the Japanese Kabuki has been awarded one michel star.Hideaway - A secluded clifftop property overlooking a banana plantation and the neighbouring island of La Gomera.Views - Great views from hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Jardines des Nivaria 271 rooms from $226Tenerife
A five star luxury hotel with an unbeatable location on the seafront of the Costa Adeje. Smart rooms are contemporary in style with tiled floors, modern art and private balconies. Unwind by the stunning pool or in the spoiling spa. A collection of excellent bars and restaurants. Very chic.Total relaxation - From spa to an enormous outdoor pool this is a space designed for unwinding.Beach Life - Just a short walk from a stunning sandy beach.Romantic - Good for couples.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Bahia Del Duque 356 rooms from $575Costa Adeje, Tenerife
A stellar beachside resort that will cater to everyones needs with grace, style, and aplomb. All the creature comforts of a five-star hotel including deluxe private villas and eight restaurants set on six hectares of incredible subtropical gardens. A seaside stunner.Families - Family heaven, with huge private villas, a playground, a pool and babysitting, as well as a range of bars and spa treatments.Beach Life - With direct private access to the whole of the Del Duque beach, on the most exclusive stretch of the Costa Adeje.Great walks - Take a walk through the extensive botanical gardens and down to the beach.Opulent
Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf 281 rooms from $155San Miguel de Abona, Tenerife
A contemporary classic resort on the sea front. Close to a nature reserve, golf course, watersports, the hotel is an ideal spot for families. Modern rooms and suites have private balconies with sea views. Excellent restaurant, pool and spa.Active HolidayFamiliesSwimming Pool - Five adult and three children's poolsKayaking - On the boating lakeRecommended by - CN Traveller
Roca Nivaria 298 rooms from $157Santa Cruz de Tenerife
A luxury hotel boasting stunning sea views. True to its five star accolade find every conceivable wish provided on site from exquisite cuisine to putting green. Grown up rooms are minimalistic yet cosy and feature large private balconies. Just a two minute walk from the beach. Fabulous.Total relaxation - A beach front property complete with an excellent spa. The perfect place to get away from it all.Families - Great choice of family suites plus kid's club, mini golf, playground and much more for all ages.Kids Club - Catering for ages 0-12 you'll find a mini club and separate babies club.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
La Quinta Roja 16 rooms from $126Garachico, Tenerife
A gorgeous manor house with a long history. Traditional chic rooms and suites have wooden beams and charming decoration. Excellent restaurant, spa, and inner courtyard terrace. A special spot on the coast in Garachico.Sights nearby - Situated in the centre of old GarachicoSailing - Can be booked nearby.TraditionalSpaRecommended by - Sawdays, CN Traveller
Hotel San Roque 16 rooms from $267Garachico, Tenerife
A chic 18th century palace come designer renovation nestled in the sleepy fishing village of Garachico. An oasis of calm and relaxation with lots of beach and mountain activities on the other. Boutique rooms combine traditional and new, excellent restaurant, and small pool.In/by a Nature Reserve - Teno Rural Park, Forest Crown Nature Park, Chinyero Special Nature Reserve.Honeymoons - The hotel's facilites make this a bolthole for honemooners.Active Holiday - The mountains and beaches provide a plethora of sports.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays, CN Traveller
Red Level Gran Melia Palacio de Isora 110 rooms from $480Alcalá, Tenerife
Luxury abounds at this edge of the Atlantic hotel. It's home to a wealth of riches with chic rooms, eight bars, a superb spa and a handful of restaurants. Luxuriate by the lagoon-style infinity pool or on the beach in front of the hotel. Attentive 24hr private butlers gives it all a personal touch.Romantic Break - An adults only relaxing haven, with hammam, nightclub, jacuzzi, spa, an extensive range of restaurants and 24 hour butlers!!Beach Life - One minute walk from the the manicured sands of Playa Jaquita, with plenty of watersports and stunning views of the bay.Surfing - The surrounding coastline is great for surfing, grab a board and catch some waves!Great walks - There are beautiful walking trails along the cliffs at Los Gigantes.
Hacienda del Conde 117 rooms from $274Tenerife
A fabulous five-star hotel off the Tenerife tourist trail. With plush rooms, three restaurants, two swimming pools and an extensive spa, it caters to all preferences. Golfers will cherish the superb Ballesteros designed course facing the sea. Adults only - perfect excuse to leave kids at home.Romantic Break - With intimate luxurious suites, an extensive range of restaurants and an adults only policy it's perfect for a romantic break.Total relaxation - Soak up the soothing seculuded atmosphere, excellent service and deluxe spa with a range of treatments.Sights nearby - Visit the picturesque seaside village of Garachico, five miles from the hotel.Sailing - Sail around the coastline to the stunning cliffs of Los Gigantes.