The 10 Best Hotels for Foodies in Cornwall
For some us a holiday isn’t a holiday unless we have the opportunity to treat ourselves to some fine food and drink. And I don’t blame you if you’re scrawling though hotel reviews waiting to see photos of the food and the restaurant. Especially when it comes to Cornish hotels. Now, thanks somewhat to Rick Stein, Cornwall is known for its food. Seafood is obviously dominant, but there are plenty of other locally sourced treasures on this menu of the best hotels for foodies in Cornwall. And our top 10 best hotels for foodies in Cornwall represent the cream (sorry), in the baked cod in cream sauce.
Our Guru's list of the 10 best hotels for foodies in Cornwall includes a remote gastropub just up from Penzance - which is definitely worth the walk to, a Michelin starred hideaway near Porscatho, a family friendly charmer in Rock and a luxurious, boutique-y, romantic treasure in Fowey. And of course Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant in Padstow - in fact we've included it first, though the order isn't ranked, it's based on the type of hotel, so scroll down to the bottom of the page if you're after the best hotels with cooking schools in Cornwall.
The Best Hotels for Foodies in Cornwall - The Classic Collection
- Rick Stein’s Seafood Restaurant has a collection of 39 beautiful, simple rooms attached. The decor is Cornish white and blue and you’re right on the sea by the fleet of fishermen who're busy soucing your supper. The restaurant doesn’t really need an introduction.
- The Driftwood Hotel near Portscatho has a Michelin starred restaurant, with 14 light, nautical inspired rooms and a stunning location overlooking Gerrans Bay.
For Foodies who want to Relax
- Havener's Bar and Grill is a fab restaurant with six boutique rooms in the coastal town of Fowey. Nautically inspired rooms are the epitome of laid back chic, and the restaurant serves refined gastropub style dishes in a room with wonderful sea views.
- Trevalsa Court Hotel is a lovely Arts and Crafts style country house located on a cliff top just outside Mevagissey. It is laid back and welcoming and the restaurant has been awarded 2 AA rosettes.
- Gurnard's Head Hotel in Zennor is a charming Cornish Inn surrounded by breathtaking countryside. There are seven traditional rooms, plus the gastropub serving excellent locally sourced food, and a simple, characterful welcome, which makes this a very popular inn for walkers and those who want to escape.
- The Old Quay House Hotel in Fowey is an exceptionally beautiful Cornish hotel. Its 11 rooms with their estuary views and contemporary charm are hard to beat, and you'll find another inventive Cornish restaurant specialising in amazing seafood. Perfect mini-break material.
- Just down the coast in St Mawes is the Hotel Tresanton, a stylish spot with beautiful views from its 30 rooms and restaurant. Expect more seafood and locally sourced deliciousness.
The Best Value Hotels for Foodies in Cornwall
- Merchants Manor is in the heart of Falmouth, but still just a short stroll from the beach. It has 39 smartly decorated rooms featuring plenty of Cornish blue and white, and they also offer yoga classes. However the real draw is the award-winning restaurant, which is well worth visiting even if you're not staying here. As with so many of the best hotels for foodies in Cornwall they really focus on sourcing the best local ingredients, and you can really tell.
- Mount Haven is similarly concerned with the best local produce, and their award-winning restaurant serves up some fantastic seafood dishes overlooking St Micheal's Mount. The hotel has 18 simple rooms, the best of them have incredible views, with balcony access. This is a romantic, yet affordable choice.
The Best Hotels With Cooking Schools
- Rick Stein’s Seafood Restaurant offers cooking classes,
- but so does the Bedruthan Steps Hotel in Mawgan Porth, just north of Newquay. Its Herring Restaurant has a great reputation, and boasts fantastic views from the restaurant and some of the hundred odd rooms. This is also a great place for foodie families, with some cooking classes for kids too!
Still not sure which of our 10 best hotels for foodies in Cornwall might be perfect for you?
- You could expand your search to include our list of all the best places to stay in Cornwall,
- or refine your search to The Best Boutique Hotels in Cornwall? or Cornwall's Most Romantic Hotels?
- or refine by location to the best places to stay in St Ives, or the best places to stay in Padstow, for example?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The 10 Best Hotels for Foodies in Cornwall
Seafood Restaurant Padstow, Cornwall 32 rooms from $211Foodies - Renowned for his seafood prowess this restaurant has become a must visit for all foodies in Padstow.Back to Nature - Right on the sea, watch the fisherman at work, before head out on an exhilarating coastal ramble.Fishing - Leave from Padstow harbour for a morning fishing trip and hopefully catch some dinner!Sailing - Sail out of Padstow and explore the beautiful coastline, an idyllic day out.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Driftwood Hotel Near Portscatho, Cornwall 14 rooms from $282Great walks - Grab a hotel picnic and head out through the private estate right down to the coast and explore the beautiful beaches!Fishing - Right on the coast, there are plenty of fishing boats to rent for the day with equippment and guides if necessary.Hideaway - A hideaway location just off the beach and in extensive private gardens, why would you leave?Surfing - No trip to Cornwall is complete without a surf session in the bracingly cold Atlantic.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Sitting in privates acres, this chic and intimate hotel overlooks stunning Gerrans Bay. Light, marine inspired rooms are the perfect example of comfort meets plush. A Michelin Star at the restaurant makes dining a spoiling yet casual affair, matched by a fine wine list. A dream Cornish location. See More
Trevalsa Court Hotel Mevagissey, Cornwall 15 rooms from $179Exclusive offer - Autumn OfferTotal relaxation - Chill out in your plush room overlooking the bay, take a morning stroll to the beach or sit and watch the fishermen at work.Local exploring - Ideal spot for exporing the Cornish coast by sea or land, full of hidden treasures and secluded spots.Sights nearby - Mevagissey Village is just ten minutes down the road and is an ancient fishing village with a Grade 2 listed double harbour.Sailing - Plenty of boat rentals available, head out with a skilled skipper or charter your own course.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Elegance and understated style make up this romantic Arts and Crafts coastal boutique - a home away from home. Standing on the cliffs, the sea breeze makes for a blowy Cornish escape. Comfortable rooms decked with paintings and log fires. Enjoy locally sourced food at the wood paneled restaurant. See More
Havener's Fowey, Cornwall 6 rooms from $167Foodies - Feast on refined pub grub in a restaurant with fabulous sea views.Sailing - Take in the sights of the Fowey Estuary and Polruan on a boat trip from Town Quay.Great walks - Take a subtropical journey through the Lost Gardens of Heligan.Views - Great views from hotel
A boutique restaurant with rooms situated in the trendy town of Fowey. Rustic chic (nautically inspired) rooms are light and airy with soft greys and blues. The restaurant is worthy of a trip alone with superlative British cuisine served up comprising heavily of Cornish produce. See More
Gurnard's Head Hotel Zennor, Cornwall 7 rooms from $173Restaurant - Excellent locally sourced food - the pub is consistently recognised for its high standards by the Cornish Tourist Board.Great walks - Take part in the interesting and informative foraging walks with Caroline Arkley.Surfing - Sennen Cove is the best known beach in the area, and very popular with surfers.Views - Sweeping coastal viewsRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A charming Cornish Inn surrounded by breathtaking countryside. A magnet for walkers, the traditional rooms are designed to afford every comfort to these weary travelers. An informal coastal gastropub serves up the best local ingredients, cooked to perfection. Simple, characterful and homely. See More
Bedruthan Steps Hotel Mawgan Porth, Cornwall 101 rooms from $204Eco break - A sustainable and environmentally minded hotel with an extensive responsible tourism pledge, see website for further details.Groups - This hotel is ideal for an active creative group holiday with workshops, open air theatre and plenty of fun facilities.Spa breaks - Pamper yourself at the top of the range luxury spa, using all natural products and treatments- heaven!Families - With family orientated rooms, activities, nursery and kids club its ideal for all the family.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Fantastic spot overlooking the Atlantic Ocean from a family-friendly hotel. Modern interiors throughout with the comfortable rooms capturing the beach views. Herring Restaurant is Cornish throughout using locally sourced ingredients. Relax by one of the two pools, or at the spa. See More
Old Quay House Hotel Fowey, Cornwall 11 rooms from $256Great walks - Wonderful walking all around this area, a particualr favourite is the picturesque Hall Walk, which ends in pretty Polruan.Sights nearby - The ruins of St Catherine’s Castle sit on the edge of the town and command spectacular views of the harbour.Sailing - Yacht rental is available nearby, head off with a professional skipper or simply charter your own course.Kayaking - Kayak rental is possible from the village of Golant, the perfect way to explore this stunning coast.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays, Tablet, I Escape
Boutique luxury in the heart of Fowey with ample amounts of sea air, estuary views and contemporary charm. Crisp, minimalist rooms are breezy and comfortable. The restaurant serves an inventive menu of local seafood delights. An ideal spot for a romantic mini break away from city life. See More
Merchants Manor Falmouth (South Cornwall) 39 rooms from $81Sights nearby - Go visit Pendennis Castle, St Mawes Castle or Trebah GardensGreat walks - Head off for long, romantic walks along the coast at sunsetSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Spa
Located in the heart of Falmouth, Merchants Manor is just a short stroll from the beach. Boasts smartly decorated rooms featuring plenty of blues and whites. Award-winning cuisine served up in the restaurant, with an emphasis on local ingredients. Unwind with a spot of yoga. A classy coastal stay. See More
Mount Haven Nr Penzance, Cornwall 18 rooms from $167Foodies - An award winning restaurant using excellent local produce.Romantic Break - A boutique hotel in a stunning and tranquil location.Great walks - Walk along the famously stunning South West Coast Path where many isolated beaches are to be discovered.Sights nearby - A number of nearby ancient stone circles including Lanyon Quoit and the Merry Maidens.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Hotel Tresanton St Mawes, Cornwall 30 rooms from $333Exclusive offer - Special offerGreat walks - One of the most picturesque parts of the British Isles with miles of coastal trails and paths to explore.Sights nearby - Stunning three mile walk past St Mawes Castle - built by Henry VIII.Kids Club - Summer months onlyHouse party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, I Escape
Stylish, laid back coastal hotel resting over St Mawes with views of the great blue. Marine inspired rooms are cosy, comfortable and plush. Seafood and local produce make up the innovative menu. Ideal for a romantic weekend, a family getaway and adventure enthusiasts with sailing, walks and more. See More