Ille sur Tet
Search the best hotels in Ille sur Tet
About Ille sur Tet
A beuatiful village, bordering Spain, 25km west of Perpignan, nestling on the Plain of Roussillon, Ille sur Tet is a place rich in a unique heritage. Once belonging to the Kingdom of Aragon, it boasts a great many medieval churches and ramparts, and a picturesque historic centre dominated by the Church of St. Etienne's high bell tower. Not only that, but there is a medieval hospital with a beautiful Baroque facade, featuring stunning frescoes, statues and religious artworks inside. However, the main reason folk come to Ille sur Tet is for the extraordinary rock formations lying a few km outside of town: the Orgues d'Ille sur Tet, a natural amphitheatre of rock pillars, jutting out 12m high, eroded by wind, water and time into the shapes of "pipe organs" and "fairy chimneys". A great place to go for a culture-packed weekend break, the best places to stay in Ille sur Tet are all chic boutiques perfect for couples on a romantic break.
What not to miss
- Walk alongside La Tet river and drink in the beautiful surroundings.
- Visit the Church of St. Etienne and admire the great belltower that looks over the village, like a great protector.
- Wander around the Hospice d'Illa, a medieval hospital with a gorgeous Baroque facade, and a treasure trove of religious art inside.
- Explore the Orgues d'Ille sur Tet.
- Get lost in the historic heart of the town and stroll along the old ramparts.
Full of charm, natural beauty and history, Ille sur Tet is a wonderful place to take the family for a romantic getaway. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Ille sur Tet to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Ille sur Tet
- Riberach: in a romantic setting flanked by vineyards, this charming boutique offers contemporary rooms with artsy flourishes, a trendy bar, a gourmet restaurant, sun-terrace and swimming pool. A great place to unwind after a heavy day of sightseeing!
- Casa9 Hotel: set in a gorgeous stone building dating back to the 10th century, offering comfortable and chic rooms, a swimming pool, a lush garden and indulgent breakfasts. Small, stylish and intimate.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Perpignan Airport - there are seasonal flights from major European hubs, including the UK. From the airport get a taxi out to Ille-sur-Tet.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 17 and 29 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Pyrenees-Orientales
- or Perpignan
- or France
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ille sur Tet
Best Hotels in Ille sur Tet
Riberach Ille sur Tet 18 rooms from £105Romantic Break - Set beneath the medieval Bélesta Castle, with wine tasting, balloon rides, vineyard walks and picnicsSights nearby - Short drive to historic city of Perpignan's sights and attractions, including the Cathar castlesCooking classes - In hotel restaurant kitchen, catered to your needsViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel
A romantic hotel surrounded by vineyards. Contemporary rooms with views, big bathrooms and artistic touches. A gourmet restaurant, sleek bar, sunny terrace and outdoor pool with sun deck area. Surrounded by hillsides and stunning views. A great choice for a romantic break. See More
Casa9 Hôtel Ille sur Tet 9 rooms from £113Country Escape - Nestled into the beautiful Languedoc-Roussillon countryside, it's perfect for a catalan country getaway.Sights nearby - Explore the Canigou ('holy mountain') with the stunning Abbey of Saint Michel de Cuxa and magnificent Saint Martin du Canigou.Great walks - Explore the beautiful walking trails and paths through the surrounding Languedoc-Roussillon countryside.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A sumptuous boutique hotel burrowed into the heart of the Languedoc-Roussillon countryside. The stylish and comfortable rooms are set in stunning stone buildings dating back to the 11th century. Luxuriate by the heavenly pool or take a stroll through the surrounding countryside. A Catalan charmer. See More