Search the best hotels in Martina Franca
About Martina Franca
Nestling in the low hills of Puglia, Martina Franca is a quintessential southern Italian town. With winding cobbled lanes backed by the picturesque whitewashed facades of old and dusty Baroque houses, complete with ironwork balconies where blood-red geraniums hang, it is one of the South's best-kept secrets. Still hemmed in by the remnants of its old medieval ramparts, not only does it boast dozens of Renaissance and Baroque palaces, as well as over fifteen churches - some beautiful and old, others bland and modern. It has a bustling, commercial town centre with a great range of cafes, shops, small boutiques and restaurants, and it sits near the Valle d'Itria, an enchanting place to walk when the evening sets in. History-lovers will love it, but so will couples looking for a romantic break that's free from the noise and bustle of tourists. Compact, beautiful and effortlessly charming, it is the sort of place you want to get lost in. The best places to stay in Martina Franca are often in the outskirts of town, in the spellbinding and rolling countryside of Puglia.
What not to miss
- Walk through the charming town centre, past the whitewashed houses, Baroque churches and Renaissance palaces.
- See the Basilica di San Martino, a beautiful cathedral with a sandy-coloured and ornate Baroque facade.
- Take a walk through the stunning countryside, particularly at sundown, and see the old trulli and masserie farmhouses and the villas that pepper the hills.
- Check out the Palazzo Ducale, a marvellous 17th century Renaissance palace.
- If you're there during the summer, be sure to attend the Festival della Valle d'Itria - the annual summer opera festival hosted since 1975.
Serene, timeless and enchanting, Martina Franca is a wonderful place to get-away-from-it-all. Find out more by browsing our list of the best places to stay in Martina Franca.
The best places to stay in Martina Franca
- Relais Villa San Martino is a five star country villa with great location for touring cultural sights and beaches. A peach-hued building surrounded by lovely gardens. Beautiful suites in elegant pastels with antique furniture. Excellent restaurant, spa and pool. A spoiling spot to explore Puglia from.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a range of self-catering villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the late summer / early autumn, when the temperature ranges between 12 and 28 degrees.
- Fly to Bari Karol Wojtyla Airport, running flights from most major European hubs, and get either get a taxi from the airport (a 1h 20 minute journey) or the train which takes 2 hours.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Martina Franca
Relais Villa San Martino Martina Franca 21 rooms from £103Local exploring - An elegant Villa, just outside Martina Franca and surrounded by protected areas, UNESCO sites and unique Baroque architecture.Total relaxation - Comfortable suites, with flower filled terraces, swimming pool, pampering spa and beautiful parklands.Great walks - Wander the expansive parklands that surround the villa, or head further afield and explore the olive groves.Spa - With an "Aqua Zone" for regenerative treatments, "Aria Zone" for massages and Spa lounge for relaxation.Recommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
Five star country villa with great location for touring cultural sights and beaches. A peach-hued building surrounded by lovely gardens. Beautiful suites in elegant pastels with antique furniture. Excellent restaurant, spa and pool. A spoiling spot to explore Puglia from. See More