- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Merano
Merano offers palm trees and cacti in the alps, along with art nouveau villas, a beautifully maintained medieval centre and a long tradition as a warm climate spa town. How does that work you might ask? Well it’s the strange, protected sunny microclimate which makes much of this possible, and the rest of it is due to its popularity with Hapsburg royalty and Austrian celebrities, who came to relax and recoup and enjoyed strolling the pretty boulevards and admiring the medieval remains. Many of the best places to stay in Merano spring from the spa hotel traditions, so there are plenty of options if you’re looking to recharge. Our Gurus are always partial to a spectacular view and some of their recommendations for the best places to stay in Merano have breathtaking views of the Dolomites.
What not to miss
- Be sure to visit the stunning 11th century Trauttmansdorff Castle and its botanical gardens.
- Take a walk through the town and explore the Alpine buildings, stunning churches and bustling market stalls.
- Unwind in one of Merano’s famous thermal baths, know for their healing properties.
For a stunning view
- The Miramonti is a stunning, hight altitude hotel with wonderfully minimalist rooms and suites which offer incredible views. There’s an excellent spa and a Tyrollean restaurant.
- For something more traditional, but equally special, the Castel Fragsburg is a five star castle overlooking the Dolomites, with 20 large rooms with wooden floors and mahogany furniture. There’s also an outdoor pool, and a spa and sauna, and sunny terrace. There’s also a cosy bar and a Michelin starred restaurant.
For great value
- If you’re looking for great value, the Hotel Sonnenhof is hard to beat, it’s a friendly, 16 room hotel overlooking the Dolomites, with an outdoor pool and lovely gardens. There’s also a spa and sauna, a beautiful terrace and a restaurant specialising in South Tyrollean cuisine.
For an apartment or chalet
- If you think that you'd rather have your own space, then visit our online partner, Booking.com, for a wide range of apartments and chalets.
- The nearest international airports are either Verona or Innsbruck (both about 1.5-2 hours from Merano, and both served by several UK airports).
- Bozen train station, located 40 minutes from Merano, has good connections to Europe.
- Best time to visit - Merano is a year round destination with warm summers and surprisingly mild winters. Visit in August for long warm days averaging around 25 degrees. July has the heaviest rainfall and January the coldest temperatures.
- If you plan to hire a car, which we advise if you wish to tour round the area, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Merano
Miramonti 36 rooms from £184Merano (Hafling)
A stunning high altitude hotel with incredible views of South Tyrol. An immersive staying experience, the glass fronted rooms are modern and minimalist, boasting phenomenal valley views. Luxuriate in the state-of-the-art spa and enjoy Tyrollean delicacies in the restaurant. An oasis of tranquility.Romantic Break - A romantic getaway with chic suites offering spectacular views over Merano, and regional organic cuisine served on the terrace.Total relaxation - A beautiful wellness area with indoor pools, saunas, steam baths in natural stone, outdoor hot tub and massage rooms.Great walks - Great walking trails in the surrouding South Tirol countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Gardens of Trauttmansdorff Castle.
Hotel Sonnenhof 16 rooms from £65Merano
Friendly hotel overlooking Dolomites. Elegant rooms have carpeted floors, pale wooden furniture and modern bathrooms. Outdoor pool, terrace, gardens, spa and sauna. Lovely restaurant offering traditional South Tyrolean cuisine. Family friendly, pretty and peaceful.Active Holiday - Perfect for the great outdoors, with numerous walking trails, pretty parks for strolls, mountain biking and marketsFamilies - In both Winter and Summer, plenty of family friendly activities, from skiing, Terme spa, horse riding and cyclingGreat walks - Stroll through the famous gardens of Trauttmansdorff castleLocal markets - Farmers' markets on Saturdays; flea markets monthly
Castel Fragsburg 20 rooms from £136Merano
5* castle overlooking Dolomites. Large rooms have mahogany furniture, wooden floors and opulent bathrooms. Outdoor pool, spa, sauna, sunny terraces. Superb dining in the Michelin starred restaurant; cosy bar. Luxurious, peaceful and authentic, with excellent service and attention to detail.Country Escape - Secluded spot with stunning views, spa to relax, terraces to enjoy the view and luxurious atmosphereFoodies - Michelin starred restaurant, wine pairing specialities, farmers' markets in MeranoSights nearby - Merano alone houses dozens of cultural treasuresLocal markets - In Merano, farmers', flea and antique markets