Search the best hotels in Merano
Merano offers palm trees and cacti in the alps, along with art nouveau villas, a beautifully maintained medieval centre and a long tradition as a warm climate spa town. How does that work you might ask? Well it’s the strange, protected sunny microclimate which makes much of this possible, and the rest of it is due to its popularity with Hapsburg royalty and Austrian celebrities, who came to relax and recoup and enjoyed strolling the pretty boulevards and admiring the medieval remains. Many of the best places to stay in Merano spring from the spa hotel traditions, so there are plenty of options if you’re looking to recharge. Our Gurus are always partial to a spectacular view and some of their recommendations for the best places to stay in Merano have breathtaking views of the Dolomites.
What not to miss
- Be sure to visit the stunning 11th century Trauttmansdorff Castle and its botanical gardens.
- Take a walk through the town and explore the Alpine buildings, stunning churches and bustling market stalls.
- Unwind in one of Merano’s famous thermal baths, know for their healing properties.
For a stunning view
- The Miramonti is a stunning, hight altitude hotel with wonderfully minimalist rooms and suites which offer incredible views. There’s an excellent spa and a Tyrollean restaurant.
- For something more traditional, but equally special, the Castel Fragsburg is a five star castle overlooking the Dolomites, with 20 large rooms with wooden floors and mahogany furniture. There’s also an outdoor pool, and a spa and sauna, and sunny terrace. There’s also a cosy bar and a Michelin starred restaurant.
For great value
- If you’re looking for great value, the Hotel Sonnenhof is hard to beat, it’s a friendly, 16 room hotel overlooking the Dolomites, with an outdoor pool and lovely gardens. There’s also a spa and sauna, a beautiful terrace and a restaurant specialising in South Tyrollean cuisine.
For an apartment or chalet
- If you think that you'd rather have your own space, then visit our online partner, Booking.com, for a wide range of apartments and chalets.
- The nearest international airports are either Verona or Innsbruck (both about 1.5-2 hours from Merano, and both served by several UK airports).
- Bozen train station, located 40 minutes from Merano, has good connections to Europe.
- Best time to visit - Merano is a year round destination with warm summers and surprisingly mild winters. Visit in August for long warm days averaging around 25 degrees. July has the heaviest rainfall and January the coldest temperatures.
- If you plan to hire a car, which we advise if you wish to tour round the area, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Merano,
- expand your search to include all the best places to stay in the South Tyrol Region,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Merano
Best Hotels in Merano
Hotel Sonnenhof Merano 16 rooms from £64Active Holiday - Perfect for the great outdoors, with numerous walking trails, pretty parks for strolls, mountain biking and marketsFamilies - In both Winter and Summer, plenty of family friendly activities, from skiing, Terme spa, horse riding and cyclingGreat walks - Stroll through the famous gardens of Trauttmansdorff castleLocal markets - Farmers' markets on Saturdays; flea markets monthly
Castel Fragsburg Merano 20 rooms from £134Country Escape - Secluded spot with stunning views, spa to relax, terraces to enjoy the view and luxurious atmosphereFoodies - Michelin starred restaurant, wine pairing specialities, farmers' markets in MeranoSights nearby - Merano alone houses dozens of cultural treasuresLocal markets - In Merano, farmers', flea and antique markets
5* castle overlooking Dolomites. Large rooms have mahogany furniture, wooden floors and opulent bathrooms. Outdoor pool, spa, sauna, sunny terraces. Superb dining in the Michelin starred restaurant; cosy bar. Luxurious, peaceful and authentic, with excellent service and attention to detail. See More
Castel Rundegg Merano (Merano-Maia Alta) 30 rooms from £160Spa breaks - Boasting an extensive spa and curated detox and diet plans this is the perfect choice for a rejuvenating stayCountry Escape - A small castle set in beautifully manicured gardens offering an exclusive rural escapeLocal markets - Merano is host to a lovely Christmas market.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor pools
A petite castle set in beautiful gardens near Merano. Interiors are traditional yet polished with a choice selection of antiques set against whitewashed walls. An expansive spa includes indoor and outdoor pools while the superb restaurant mixes Mediterranean and South Tyrolean flavours. See More
Miramonti Merano (Hafling) 36 rooms from £182Romantic Break - A romantic getaway with chic suites offering spectacular views over Merano, and regional organic cuisine served on the terrace.Total relaxation - A beautiful wellness area with indoor pools, saunas, steam baths in natural stone, outdoor hot tub and massage rooms.Great walks - Great walking trails in the surrouding South Tirol countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Gardens of Trauttmansdorff Castle.
A stunning high altitude hotel with incredible views of South Tyrol. An immersive staying experience, the glass fronted rooms are modern and minimalist, boasting phenomenal valley views. Luxuriate in the state-of-the-art spa and enjoy Tyrollean delicacies in the restaurant. An oasis of tranquility. See More
Ottmanngut Merano (South Tyrol) 11 rooms from £220Country Escape - A beautiful Meranese style country house offering a secluded and tranquil spot within the hillsGreat walks - Take long walks straight from the property's front door through the surrounding hillsFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A beautiful Maranese style house set within lush gardens with a striking mountainous backdrop. Grand interiors feature hardwood floors, whitewashed walls, and plenty of delicate antiques. Feast on a three-course breakfast in the pretty Orangerie before strolling through the surrounding vinyards. See More
Hotel Oberwirt Merano 30 rooms from £291Business meetings - The conference room in the hotel garden house is for meetings, seminars and training sessionsFoodies - Restaurant serves South Tyrolean delicacies with Mediterranean highlightsRomantic Break - Relax in comfort with your partner in a picture-perfect locationFamilies - Comfortable accomodation and lots for everyone to do
Perched on a hill in a fairytale setting, this delightful hotel dates back to the 15th century. Cosy rooms and interiors feature Tyrolean pine and walnut. The food is ambrosial; the wine list renowned. Gaze at snowy peaks, stroll or cycle through flowery meadows, and bliss-out in the luxurious spa. See More