Search the best hotels in Trentino
The Trentino region might not have the most recognisable name in Italian geography, but we bet you all recognise ‘The Dolomites’ and ‘Lake Garda’, and those two very familiar points on the map mark out the north and south of Trentino. Skiers, hikers, bikers and climbers are naturally drawn here, as are sailors, poets, authors, and anyone inspired by a spectacular landscape. Trentino’s major centres, Trento, Riva del Garda, and Rovereto, aren’t necessarily the best places to stay in Trentino, but they’re lively cites, with memorable architecture that reflects the many cultures that have converged here: Austria, Germany and Italy. Our picks for the best places to stay in Trentino include fabulous mountain chalets, luxurious spa hotels, lake-side retreats, family-friendly ski resorts, and cosy B&Bs. And properties with some seriously incredible views!
If you’re heading to Trentino for the skiing, you’re probably en route towards the Sella Ronda, a spectacular wintersports hub and the start of a myriad of routes. We have recommended a couple of gorgeous ski chalets in Madonna di Campiglio, and some great ski hotels in Passo del Tonale and San Martino di Castrozza. Come the warmer months, the same areas are much loved by hikers, bikers and climbers. Between these alpine spots and the lake to the south, are a number of National Parks, including the Stelio National Park. There’s also the Non Valley, known for its high altitude apple growing, and the beautiful Sole and Sugana Valleys, the later the route of the old Roman road through the alps, the Via Claudia Augusta. This whole region is also known for its grapes, and the sparking wines produced from them, which is one of the reasons we recommend the best places to stay in Trentino to foodies, especially come autumn.
Riva del Garda is Trentino’s southern border, but the northern tip of Lake Garda, and definitely the most dramatic end. Riva del Garda is surrounded by rocky cliffs on three sides, with the serenity of the lake marking out the fourth. Turn corners in amongst Riva’s historic architecture and you’ll suddenly come upon breathtaking views. This is an obvious choice as one of the best places to stay in Trentino for a relaxing or romantic break, but it’s also surprisingly beachy and still a great choice for an active holiday — especially for families.
The Best Places to Stay in Trentino
For the Views
- The Biohotel Hermitage is in a picturesque spot, just outside of Madonna di Campiglio, a short shuttle-bus ride from town, and from the nearest ski lift. This hotel’s 25 rooms and suites have some of the best views around, overlooking a wooded valley, with peaks and glaciers beyond. All of the rooms have huge windows, and most have a balcony or terrace too. The restaurant has a Michelin star, and a fantastic wine list, while still managing to be family-friendly. Skiers will appreciate the impressive après-ski spa and food offering.
- Large and luxurious, the Lefay Resort & Spa Dolomiti is secluded within a wooded valley, but with spectacular views from the huge windows of its 88 rooms and suites. This is a stunning place to appreciate the majesty of the Dolomites. The spa is included in the name, and is as impressive as that accolade suggests, with a long treatment menu and beautifully designed facilities. The views from the hotel pool are really something, and the restaurant offers gourmet dining.
- La Mirandola is a charmingly rustic choice, close to the ski lifts in Passo del Tonale. If you enjoy the cosiness of chalet chic, La Mirandola may be for you, with its exposed stone walls, blonde-wood floors and exposed beams. The cavern-like restaurant is especially atmospheric, and the menu of local classics makes it an easy choice for guests. There’s also a spa, and a terrace with a view. 29 rooms and suites, including family-sized options.
For Chalet Charm
- Madonna di Campiglio’s Boutique Hotel Diana is a charming chalet style hotel, with a fairytale tower, plenty of blonde wood inside and out, and an extensive spa. Its 27 rooms and suites are all unique. When it comes to practical facilities, we like the Hotel Diana for its warm welcome, spa facilities and superb restaurant.
- The Hotel Chalet del Sogno is another charming chalet in Madonna di Campiglio, built from local stone and plenty of blonde wood. Its 18 rooms and suites are very spacious, with pine detailing, and private balconies. The restaurant offers hearty, family-friendly fare in a welcoming atmosphere — ideal for groups as well as families. There’s an excellent spa with a pool and sauna. Just 25 metres from the piste.
- The Villa Orso Grigio is magically positioned on the top of a hill, overlooking the Val di Non, and the alps beyond. Outside the beautiful villa-style building are park-like gardens, and each of the ten rooms and suites has its own private little section. The rooms are all individually decorated, with traditional alpine touches like wood-panelled walls, tapestries, and weighty, cosy fabrics. Some of the rooms have their own harman too. The hotel also has a pool, an elegant lounge and cigar room, and an excellent restaurant specialising in traditional local fare. Secluded feeling, but still very convenient for skiers or walkers.
- Madonna di Campiglio’s DV Boutique Hotel is our pick for style: a 20 room boutique-style hotel with carefully designed rooms featuring plenty of wood, leather and furs, plus an excellent spa and restaurant. We love the cosy bar, and favour rooms with private balconies with wonderful views, plus private saunas and wood stoves. It’s romantic, but family-friendly too.
- The Alp & Wellness Sport Hotel Panorama is dreamily positioned in Far della Paganella, surrounded by the Dolomites. Its 59 rooms and suites offer affordable luxury, with lots of natural materials in natural, muted colours. As well as romantic choices the hotel has some excellent family-sized suites. There’s an indoor pool, and an outdoor pool, clay tennis courts, a spa, and a fine-dining restaurant. Parents will appreciate the local ski school, kids club and babysitting service. The hotel also offers tennis coaching, and use of their e-bikes.
- The Hotel Letizia is a quintessentially traditional chalet in San Martino di Castrozza, at the foot of Pale di San Martino ski slopes. If your taste runs to wooden panelling and pine furniture, gingham and chintz, balconies overlooking the alps, cosy lighting, local alpine cuisine, and open fireplaces, the Hotel Letizia is probably just up your alley. There are 34 rooms and suites, some with magnificent pine four-poster beds, and some large enough to fit your family. There’s also an excellent spa and hamman, and a kids club.
For a Rural Retreat
- The Chalet Alpenrose is a cosy chalet within the boundaries of the Stelio National Park. The alpine views are second to none, and while the traditional chalet-windows aren’t huge, there are plenty of wonderful vantage points. Inside you'll find lots of pine, including decorative pine ceilings in some of the 19 rooms and suites, exposed beams, and plenty of quaintly carved, honey-coloured furniture. The sun deck, spa and sauna are all great places to relax, and there’s a Tyrolean restaurant.
- The Hotel Elda is positioned between Lake Garda and the Dolomites, surrounded by lush, green views. This is an eco-friendly hotel, with just 17 rooms and suites, simply decorated in a pale colour scheme, with the odd bit of design furnishing. We like the cosy lounge with its open fire. The restaurant has an Eastern European twist. Inside there’s a spa, and outside there’s a pool.
For an Active Break
- Garni on the Rock in Arco is the perfect spot if you are into climbing! You can show off your skills on the perpendicular rock face behind the property or check out the indoor boulder room. Rooms are minimal, with great mountain views. There’s also a spa with a hammam and sauna, perfect for after climbing. The hotel has guest bikes too.
For Great Value
- The Hotel Garni Laurino is a fabulous country house hotel in the pretty, rural town of Cavalese. Converted from a charming villa, the hotel now has 12 guest rooms, which include doubles, suites and whole apartments, all decorated with comfortable, contemporary simplicity. The communal areas are more historic, with wonderful original tile stoves, wood-panelled ceilings and walls, and plenty of original artwork. The largest apartments sleep up to six, and have everything you need to self-cater. Outside, the hotel has a huge garden, and just beyond the town is the Paneveggio Natural Park, with its hiking trails up mountains and past waterfalls.
- The Hotel Caffe Centrale is a great value choice in Mezzocorona, in the heart of the Dolomites. The handful of rooms are light, yet cosy, decorated with plenty of white paint and blonde wood. Our favourites have incredible views of the mountains. If you're here for the slopes you’ll be grateful for the spa, complete with sauna, steam bath, whirlpool bath, and a pool. We also rate the restaurant and its wine list.
- The Villa Kofler is a romantic choice in Campitello di Fassa. Its rooms are decorated in a range of styles, all with flair and contemporary detail. Guests also benefit from a large spa, and an Asian fusion restaurant. Great for skiers.
- Magically positioned at the foot of the Dolomites, with a particularly awe-inspiring crag the main view from some of its windows, the Stella Alpina is both spectacular and very affordable. There are just five rooms, including two apartments with kitchens, which are ideal for families. You are five minutes walk from a connection to the Sella Ronda ski region — or walking and cycling region in summer. There’s no restaurant, but they do offer breakfast, and they have an excellent wine cellar.
Prefer a Private Apartment or Villa?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- There are a number of airports you could consider for access to the Trentino region, and a number of large railway stations as well. Milan’s airports: Bergamo Airport, Linate and Malpensa, are just to the south, as is Verona-Villafranca. Venice’s Marco Polo Airport, is to the east, and Innsbruck Airport is to the north.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- If you’re planning to visit Trentino for the ski season the good news is that there are a number of high altitude resorts here, and the ski season runs between mid-December and April in some places. There are plenty of reasons to visit Trentino in the summer too, and not just the Dolomites and the Sella Ronda, or Trentino’s spa towns. There’s Lake Garda and the wine regions around its northern shore, and miles and miles of walking and riding trails marked out across this spectacular scenery. Autumn brings the harvest, and plenty on the plate for foodies.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could refine your search to the best places to stay on Lake Garda
- Or even further to the best family hotels on Lake Garda, the most romantic hotels on Lake Garda, the best places to stay in Riva del Garda or Arco
- If you’re looking for a ski resort, consider the best places to stay in Madonna di Campiglio
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Trentino
Best Hotels in Trentino
Hotel Garni Laurino Cavalese Trento, Trentino 12 rooms from £30Families - Four flats are ideal for groups of friends or families, they sleep up to 6.Back to Nature - Natural waterfalls and monumental trees form spectacular landscapes.Great walks - Guided hiking tours.Kayaking - And canyoning.
A fabulous country house in a spectacular natural setting surrounded by waterfalls, mountains, and hiking trails. Traditional charming interiors have wooden walls, four poster beds, and cosy spaces. Doubles, suites, and flats to choose from. An excellent choice for an active holiday. See More
Stella Alpina Canazei Trento, Trentino 7 rooms from £31Families - The two apartments attached to the B&B have two bedrooms and kitchens.Value chicGroupsTraditional
Villa Kofler Campitello di Fassa Trento, Trentino from £56Romantic BreakRestaurant - Unique fusion cuisine.Four poster beds - For romantics.Spa
Hotel Caffe Centrale Trento, Trentino 4 rooms from £56Spa breaks - The wellness centre boasts a pool, whirlpool, sauna, steam bath and treatments are available on request.Business meetings - There are two meeting rooms specifically catering to business meetings.Great walks - Near the Dolomite Mountains, an ideal place for long walks with fabulous views.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool
In the heart of the Dolomite mountains lies the family-ran Hotel Cafe Centrale, boasting sublime panoramic views of Mezzocorona. The rooms are light and cosy, with crisp white linen, plenty of pine and clean lines. Boasting a spoiling spa ideal to return to after a day spent outdoors. See More
La Mirandola Vermiglio, Trentino 29 rooms from £74Active Holiday - Perfectly positioned for outdoor mountain activities all year round.Other Activities - Nordic walking, mushroom picking and raftingSkiing - Marilleva Ski Area and Pradalago Gondola.Romantic Break - A romantic building and location.
Hotel Letizia Trentino 34 rooms from £110Local exploring - Skiing in the Lagorai chain, cross country skiing in Val Canali, Paneveggion Natural Park for walking and hikingFamilies - Dolomites family fun programme of skiing, mountain exploring, barn animals, games room, afternoon activitiesSpa - Beauty and Wellness center: Ninfa del Bosco Incantato.Views - UNSECO listed Dolomites
Hotel Elda Ledro, Lake Garda 17 rooms from £97Country Escape - Set in beautiful countryside at the foot of the Dolomites this is a perfect country escapeEco break - The hotel is completely eco-friendly in terms of energy and building materials.Foodies - The restaurant serves up the family's recipes and they're superb!Skiing - In the winter this is an excellent base for cross-country skiers.Recommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
An eco friendly hotel in a spectacular setting close to Lake Garda, Lake Ledro and surrounded by mountains. Simple attractive rooms, a restaurant with Eastern European flair, swimming pool and spa. Fishing, cycling, skiing, walking etc. Perfect for families and the great outdoors. See More
Chalet Alpenrose Cogolo di Pejo, Trentino 19 rooms from £99Families - Wildlife trails and ski schools for the children, spa and sauna in the hotel for adultsGreat walks - In the Stelvio National Park and Adamello-Brenta Natural ParkViews - Great views from hotelFour poster beds - For romantics.
Alp & Wellness Sport Hotel Panorama Trento, Trentino 59 rooms from £102Families - With family suites, a local ski school, children's entertainment and babysitting services, all the family is catered forSpa breaks - In addition to its numerous facilities the extensive spa offers a range of body treatments and fitness packagesActive Holiday - An abundance of outdoor activities are possible including tennis, horseriding, hiking and skiingTennis - The property has four red clay courts on offer, just reserve a time at reception
Nestled in the Italian Dolomites, this hotel offers a range of high-end suites, all furnished in a modern style and designed with natural materials. Boasting two swimming pools, clay tennis courts and a fine-dining restaurant, while the superb spa is perfect to return to after a day spent outdoors. See More
Garni on the Rock Arco 19 rooms from £105Active Holiday - Fantastic Climbing facilitiesLakeside - A short way from Lake GardaSailing - Sailing on Lake GardaViews - Great views from hotel
Ideal for the adventurous! Not only can you climb the natural rock face that towers over the hotel - there is also an indoor boulder room. Bedrooms boast modern furnishings and great mountain views. The private spa includes a Turkish bath and Sauna. Plenty of activities on offer. See More
Maribel Hotel Madonna di Campiglio 24 rooms from £150Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.Spa
Villa Orso Grigio Trentino 10 rooms from £157Romantic Break - Complete privacy in secluded setting. Each room has a private garden, massages in the rooms, and excellent cuisineActive Holiday - Skiing and outstanding walking trips: Mendola Pass, Gampenpass, Tovel Lake and Mount LucoSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.
A romantic hotel in the hilltops of upper Val di Non. Rooms blend traditional wooden ceilings and Alpine furniture with subtle modern features. Each room has a private garden; some with turkish baths. Pool, excellent traditional dishes, and elegant wine and cigar rooms. A fairytale spot. See More
Biohotel Hermitage Madonna di Campiglio (Trento) 25 rooms from £139Skiing - Free shuttle bus to the liftsFoodies - Michelin star restaurant.EcoWellbeingRecommended by - Tablet
Wonderful family run hotel and spa a bus ride from the nearest ski lift. Traditional but chic, huge bedrooms and suites have wooden floors, wooden ceilings, big beds, neutral tones and fantastic views from private balconies. Michelin star restaurant and fabulous spa. Family friendly and romantic. See More
Boutique Hotel Diana Madonna di Campiglio 27 rooms from £139Great walks - The surrounding valley is full of great walking routes.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.Spa
Hotel Chalet del Sogno Madonna di Campiglio (Trento) 18 rooms from £191Skiing - Just 25m from the piste!5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Active HolidaySwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Lovely 5 star chalet with beautiful suites. Wood, wool, lime, and local stone make up the entire building attesting to its eco-label certification. Sumptuous rooms, family rooms and suites with private balconies. Excellent spa and restaurant. Comfortable and cosy, but still chic. See More
DV Boutique Hotel Madonna di Campiglio (Trento) 20 rooms from £252Skiing - Shuttle bus to the Spinale cable carSpa breaksActive HolidayRestaurant - Gourmet restaurant - prices quoted are for half boardRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A boutique hotel in a mountain top village with an excellent spa and restaurant. Naturally constructed bedrooms have wooden floors and animal hides strewn around. Some have private balconies, private sauna or wooden stove. An excellent spa hotel for an active mountain holiday, family friendly too. See More
Lefay Resort & Spa Dolomiti Madonna di Campiglio 88 rooms from £395Spa breaks - This hotel has a chic, modern spa onsite, with an interior wall garden and huge windows offering views of the mountainsRomantic Break - With stylish suites, a full service spa and beautiful views, book this hotel for a relaxing couples' getawayHideaway - Nestled in the secluded setting of the Dolomites Mountains, book this hotel for a luxury hideaway holidayRestrictions on children - This is an adults-only hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
This luxury hotel and spa is set in the spectacular landscape of the Dolomites Mountains. In the spacious suites, the forest is invited in through floor-to-ceiling windows and the use of natural and locally sourced materials. Head to the spa for a wellness treatment with mountain views. See More