- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Malta
Malta's incredible history and impressive architecture have earned the island a reputation as an 'open air museum', and the stunning coastline and sunny, temperate climate, has earned it a place on the lists of best winter sunshine breaks. Unique and richly varied, despite its small size, Malta has an expanding selection of accommodation options, and the best places to stay in Malta includes everything from the luxurious Xara Palace - think splendid interiors, all high ceilings and antiques, plus an award winning restauant - to the rural Selmunett B&B a relaxing homestay with a truly warm welcome (for self catering options, we recommend our online partner, Booking.com).
Malta's history is written on the island, from the 7000 year old megalithic temples to the bewitching architecture of the Phoenicians, the Carthaginians, the Romans and the Byzantines - who all left their own distinctive marks on the country. Culturally the island still upholds its religious roots - 98% of the population are Catholic and you'll constantly find references to the Knights of St John and St Paul who brought Christianity to the country on a voyage to Rome.
Hire a car to get the best out of your stay, and explore the island to your heart's content.
- Sample the ocean's offerings in Marsaxlokk, a sleepy fishing village;
- amble down the undiscovered back streets of Vittoriosa;
- relish the hidden architectural gems protected by the ancient walls of Mdina;
- pick up the pace in Malta's cultural capital: Valletta, in the day, and head to lively Paceville at night;
- or take a day trip to the tranquil islands of Gozo and Comino for some diving?
Malta's traditional honey-coloured stone buildings are everywhere, backed by the intense blue Mediterranean Sea, and the effect is really unique. Everything looks so different, you'll really feel you've travelled.
During the summer, the best places to stay in Malta enable you to enjoy the village fiestas and experience the Maltese passion for fireworks. In the mild winter months, Christmas in Malta is something to behold: the Maltese specialise in spectacular nativity scenes, and celebrate the festive season in style.
The Best Places to Stay on Malta for a Special Occasion
- The Xara Palace is a romantic 17th Century palace, and the only hotel inside the beautiful walled city of Mdina. There are just 17 rooms, all of them are charmingly decorated with Maltese treasures, and a special kind of luxurious peace which comes from the perfect setting and discreet service.
- Ta' Cenc is a luxurious eco-retreat within the grounds of a bird sanctuary, so it's all about getting back to nature in a five star environment.
- The Victoria Hotel is Malta's equivalent to a 19th Century Pall Mall Gentlemen's Club. There are open fireplaces, stuffed leather and mahogany furniture, antique oil paintings and a grand piano or two. And there's a luxurious spa and the kind of restaurant which invites leisurely dining.
The Best Places to Stay on Malta for a Cultural Escape
- The Luciano Guesthouse in beautiful old town Valletta is traditional, and romantic with it, with four poster beds, stone walls, chandeliers and private balconies. Right next to St. John's Cathedral, you're within a short stroll of all Valletta's highlights.
- The Hotel Juliani is Malta's first proper boutique hotel. Rooms are crisp and contemporary and there's an award-winning restaurant and breathtaking sea views. All overlooking Spinola Bay, St. Julian's, surrounded by good bars and eateries.
The Best Places to Stay on Malta for Winter Sunshine
- The Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz is ideal for divers and those who love a dramatic coastline. The hotel's beautiful pools, manicured gardens and award-winning spa serve to highlight the drama of the wild, natural surrounds. Suites and private balconies mean this is a wonderful spot for families too.
- The Palace in Slierna is a contemporary sanctuary right in front of the beach. The minimalist decor favours white and chrome, there's a fantastic spa and the rooftop bar really gets going in the evenings.
- The The Xara Palace is one of Malta's grand dame hotels, a 1930s looker with Art Deco details, harbour views and fantastic gardens.
The Best Places to Stay on Malta for Families
- If you want to treat yourself and your family try the five star luxury of the Westin Dragonara, which sits on a private peninsular out of St. Julian's. As well as its own private beach, the Westin Dragonara also has a casino and a selection of indoor and outdoor pools.
The Best Places to Stay on Malta on a Budget
- Also in Valletta, the Castille Hotel is very central, and very historic, in a significant 16th Century building. As well as the 38 rooms, this hotel also has a famous pizzeria, a wine cellar, a roof terrace restaurant and panoramic vies over the harbour. And all starting from just £38 per night.
- Knights in Malta is a quiet, elegant, Mediterranean style property in Naxxar, with a private courtyard and sun terrace and beautiful, traditional rooms. Rustic and relaxing, this is a great spot for a country escape, and the five rooms start from just £40 per night.
For a holiday apartment or villa
- Malta has a good range of accommodation for those who prefer to self cater. We recommend the selection with our online partner, Booking.com.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay on Malta for you?
Best Hotels in Malta
Luciano Guesthouse 13 rooms from $65Valletta, Malta
A beautiful historic townhouse in the old town of Valletta. Traditional romantic bedrooms with four poster beds, soft fabrics, stone walls, chandeliers and private balconies. Walking distance to restaurants and all the attractions. Excellent value.Romantic BreakValue chicSights nearby - Right next to St John’s Cathedral.Romantic - Good for couples.
Knights in Malta 5 rooms from $80Naxxar, Malta
Mediterranean elegance and calm in a historic property at a small price. Private courtyard, delightful sun terrace, jacuzzi and rustic rooms that exude traditional elegance - wood-beamed ceilings and antique furniture. A relaxing escape, off the beaten track but great for exploring local history.Sights nearby - Valletta, the capital city, is 5.6 miles from the propertyRomantic - An intimate hotel with a lovely terraceSpa
Castille Hotel 38 rooms from $81Valletta, Malta
A historically-rich and friendly hotel with an unbeatable central location. Fantastic pizzeria in the wine cellar and lovely roof terrace restaurant with views of the harbour. A perfect spot to explore the sites from.Sights nearby - Excursions to local sites can be arranged at receptionViews - Panoramic views of the mainland and harbourRomantic - Good for couples.
Hotel Juliani 44 rooms from $109St Julian's, Malta
The island's first true 'boutique' hotel with an award-winning restaurant and enviable sea views. Rooms with refreshingly crisp contemporary designs in whites and turquoise blues. It's outstanding location in St. Julian's, unique charm and fantastic restaurant give it the edge.Beach Life - 10-minute walk from the beach at Balluta BayViews - Panoramic views across Spinola BayLively - Close to the bustling sea frontRomantic - Beautiful sea views
Selmunett 2 rooms from $120Naxxar, Malta
A relaxing and authentic way to experience Malta with truly welcoming hosts at this charming Homestay. Just two rooms with lots of natural light, barbecued breakfasts on the terrace, and delightful herb garden. A warm and friendly spot.Sights nearby - Near the lovely town of Naxxar (walking distance to a beautiful baroque church)Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Surfing - Suitable beaches nearby.On the beach - In front of the hotel.
Osborne Hotel 63 rooms from $120Valletta, Malta
A perfect base to explore the cultural offerings of Valletta and an excellent spot for business travellers. Bright clean rooms, rooftop terrace with swimming pool, harbour views, and buffet dining. The perfect city bolt-hole.Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor poolLively - Hip and happening.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.On the beach - In front of the hotel.
Victoria Hotel 150 rooms from $137Sliema, Malta
Malta’s equivalent to a Pall Mall gentleman’s club set in the 19th century. Traditional elegance - grand pianos, open fireplaces, leather chairs, gilded mirrors, mahogany furniture, and antique paintings. A luxurious spa, rooftop terrace with pool and leisurely restaurant. For business and pleasure.Sights nearby - Located in urban Sliema, just a few minutes’ drive from the Capital City, VallettaSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor PoolLively - Hip and happening.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Valletta Suites 3 rooms from $142Valletta, Malta
A haven for the design conscious: modern luxury meets historic charm in these apartment suites and unassuming townhouse. Traditional brickwork, balconies, high ceilings, sun trap terrace, picture perfect rooms with antique furnishings and oriental rugs. Chic, intimate, delightful.Sights nearby - Near to opulent baroque churches and the Grand Master’s palaceSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Romantic - Good for couples.On the beach - In front of the hotel.
Westin Dragonara 340 rooms from $154St Julian's, Malta
5* Luxury resort offering superb facilities for the whole family. It sits on the peninsula with a private beach, casino, and wonderful sea views from private balconies. Fantastic conference facilities too, award-winningly so. Slick contemporary designs, fine dining, plenty of activities.Outstanding location - In the heart of downtown St Julian's and right on the water's edgeOn the beach - Right next to the seafront - the hotel offers 2 private beachesRomantic - Beautiful views, luxury facilitiesSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor Pools
B&B De Rohan 5 rooms from $154Zebbug, Malta
B&B De Rohan is located in the historic village of Haz-Żebbuġ, a few miles outside Valletta. It features smartly decorated modern rooms, as well as a shared lounge and an outdoor pool. Hire a car and go exploring further afield! A wonderful stay.Active Holiday - Swim a few refreshing lengths in their outdoor pool or hire a bike and cycle into VallettaLocal exploring - B&B de Rohan is located just a short distance away from many of Malta's sightsSights nearby - Visit the historic Auberge de Castille or take a stroll around the beautiful Spinola BayGreat walks - Make sure to wander around the Upper Barrakka Gardens if you visit Valletta
Casa Ellul 8 rooms from $190VALLETTA, Malta
Luxury boutique hotel in world heritage listed coastal city Valletta with panoramic views. Family owned and run, there are eight large and elegant rooms in this neo-classical townhouse with marble bathrooms, traditional Maltese balconies and quirky artworks. Chic, stylish and comfortable.Sights nearby - Including Carmelite Church, Manoel Theatre, galleriesOutstanding location - In heart of Valletta, a world heritage cityViews - Panoramic views over the cityRestrictions on childrenRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Palace 149 rooms from $183Sliema, Malta
Cosmopolitan sanctuary with a difference in the urban heart of Sliema. Unique concept suites in ultra contemporary design - minimalism, chromes, stones, marbles, ochres, state-of-the-art sound systems. Fantastic spa and rooftop nightlife. A masterpiece in modern lifestyle.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLively - Hip and happening.On the beach - In front of the hotel.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Locanda La Gelsomina from $206Birgu, Malta
Four-suite retreat at the heart of Birgu with exotic tea-house and opportunity for yoga retreats. Breakfast is included and interiors verge on the casually opulent and fashionably eclectic, ideal for a distinguished and well-travelled clientèle. Central location and tranquil ambiance.Yoga - Yoga retreats a speciality.Sights nearby - The Inquisitor's Palace, Fort St. Angelo and the Malta Maritime Museum are all withing walking distance.Restrictions on children - Due to the antiquity of the locale, kindly note that Locanda La Gelsomina is not suitable for children.Views - One suite offers beautiful views of the Annunciation Church nearby.
The Xara Palace 17 rooms from $354Rabat, Malta
Uncompromising luxury with all the individuality and sophistication of a Relais Chateaux property. Interiors with splendour - high ceilings, antiques, rugs, lots of natural light. Gorgeous rooms and award-winning rooftop restaurant. A palace of romance, surrounded by stunning baroque architecture.Exclusive offer - 4 Night PackageSights nearby - Mdina's monuments, museums and Roman villas are just a few steps awayPrivate Hot Tub - Some dulpex suites come with their own private terraces and jacuzzisSwimming Pool - A short walk from the Hotel5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Phoenicia Hotel 136 rooms from $499Valletta, Malta
The grand dame of the Maltese hotels still upholds its 1930s glamour. Art Deco in style with marble floors, arched glass windows, 30s cocktail bar, and even a ballroom. Harbour views and fantastic gardens. Go back in time on a cultural adventure to the glamour of a bygone era.Local exploring - Local exploring in style just outsided the entrance to Valletta, within walking distance of the main sights and top restaurants.Sights nearby - Explore the Ggantija, a Neolithic temple complex and one of the oldest free standing man made structures in the world.Sailing - Boat tours can be arranged through the hotel, the perfect way to see the coast.Diving - Guests can explore the wrecks and caves around the island with dive guides.Recommended by - Fodors