Search the best hotels in Berkshire
Just west of London, many visitors will visit Berkshire without realising it when they step off the train at Windsor. But there's even more to the county than Windsor Castle, Eton, Ascot and Bray - of three Michelin starred The Fat Duck fame. There's also a good selection of accommodation here and our pick of the best places to stay in Berkshire ranges from character filled pubs with rooms, to country house hotels to sophisticated top-notch luxury retreats.
Some of our Berkshire collections:
- Berkshire's 7 Most Romantic Hotels
- 10 of the Best Pubs with Rooms in Berkshire
- 4 of the Best Hotels with Hot Tubs in Berkshire
- 8 of the Best places to stay for the Henley Regatta
- Best hotels for a Quick Country Escape
- The Best Places to Stay in Windsor
- The Best Places to Stay in Reading
Berkshire is where you'll find the Prime Minister's country pile, but it's also popular with the royal family - Windsor is apparently the Queen's favourite castle - and celebrities. It is close to London, but feels properly countrified, so it's a great escape.
What Not To Miss
- If you're looking for a fun family day out then head over to Legoland Windsor Resort. This 150-acre spot has tons of great rides and fantastic sculptures made entirely out of Lego - something to give the kids a bit of inspiration for their next project!
- Get dressed up in all your finery and spend the day at Ascot Racecourse. With three main viewing enclosures, food festivals, fine dining and afternoon tea, it's a wonderfully fun day out. If you're feeling particularly daring then stick a couple of quid on your favourite!
- Reading Museum is home to a fascinating collection of artefacts, both local and global. Browse through their large Roman collection, have a look at their full-size copy of the Bayeux Tapestry or check out the dinosaur fossils. A splendid spot.
- A tour of Windsor Castle, the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world, is an absolute must if you're in the area. The Queen's weekend residence, it's full of beautiful paintings, furniture and historical titbits. Make sure to look around with their knowledgeable tour guides and head up the tower for splendid panoramic views.
The best places to stay in Berkshire make ideal weekend boltholes, but extend your stay longer and really get to know this fascinating county.
The Best Places to stay in Berkshire
For a Rural Village location
- The Elephant at Pangbourne is a chic hotel with 22 individually designed rooms featuring handcrafted Indian furniture. Food is good too and mostly locally sourced.
- On the Berkshire/ Oxfordshire borders, the Miller of Mansfield is a village inn turned boutique hotel. With the beautiful, rural Thames Valley as a backdrop, this hotel is an ideal weekend escape for couples. The Miller is also less than 15mins drive from Henley on Thames, Reading and Oxford, so good for sightseeing.
- The Olde Bell Inn in Hurley is one of the oldest inns in England - hence the extra 'e'. Cosy and unpretentious, this inn also has excellent gastropub fayre.
- The Great House is superbly situated in Sonning-on-Thames, right on the riverside. You'll find chic accommodation in a number of historic buildings - featuring vibrant colours and contemporary furnishings. With plenty of activities on offer locally and homely meals served up, this is a terrific stay.
- The Dundas Arms, set in a grade II lsited Georgian inn, boasts a divine setting on the banks of the Kennet in Kintbury. Their 8 rooms are wonderfully furnished in a classic country style and you can come back after a day out exploring the countryside to relax in the cosy sitting room. Plus, their restaurant specialises in gourmet dishes made using local produce.
For a country house hotel
- Coworth Park offers the quintessential English countyside experience, with superb equestrian facilities, beautiful grounds, excellent restaurant and bars as well as an eco-luxury spa.
- Cliveden House is a wonderful neoclassical pile with original Old Masters on the walls and priceless antiques. There's a boating lake, tennis courts, croquet lawns, pools and spa, and people to drive you wherever you need to go - or pilot your helicopter.
- The Waterside Inn at Bray is the ultimate foodie escape, with three Michelin stars earned by Michel Roux and son, Alain, views over the Thames and sumptuous rooms and suites. This is a great place to treat yourself.
- A great foodie escape, The Vineyard at Stockcross has a gourmet restaurant and a wine cellar boasting 30,000 choices, including a number produced by the owner. Built as a hunting lodge in the 18th Century, some of the rooms are original hunting lodge chic, while some have been modernised.
- The Crab and Boar oozes history, dating back to the 17th-century! This pub with rooms boasts chic accommodation, some with four poster mahogany beds and hot tubs whilst they all feature deep baths. Their fine dining restaurant (winner of 2 AA Rosettes) is absolutely wonderful, and there are also two acres of manicured gardens.
- Hurley House Hotel boasts chic boutique rooms with en suites just outside Hurley. Relax in the garden on sunny days and enjoy terrific meals from the restaurant - with Michelin starred chef Michael Chapman in charge of the cuisine.
For An Active Holiday
- The Queens Arms offers smart accommodation with plenty of dark hues, large beds and power showers. Enjoy traditional British food at their restaurant (accompanied by an extensive wine list) after a day spent hiking, cycling, shooting or fishing.
For City Style
- The Forbury is a large stylish townhouse right in the heart or Reading. Expertly blending old with new, their smart accommodation features classical furnishings in an array of colours. Unwind in the private cinema or enjoy a tipple at the smart Cerise bar.
Prefer An Apartment Or Cottage?
- If you think a self-catering option would best suit your needs then browse through the wide variety available with our partner, booking.com.
- Berkshire's fairly temperate maritime climate means it can be visited ay any time of the year, with no seasons of extreme weather. However, it's definitely at its nicest during the summer - with the average temperature around 21-22°C in July and August.
- International visitors could feasibly fly into any London Airport, though the closest to Berkshire is London Heathrow. If you're heading from Heathrow to Reading then you can hop on the train which takes just over an hour. Those going to Windsor can take the First Bus 8 from the airport which takes under an hour, runs regularly from 6am to 10pm and costs around £6.00.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which to book?
- If you want to widen the net, why don't you take a look at our recommendations in Oxfordshire?
- Or, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Berkshire
Best Hotels in Berkshire
The Bunk Inn nr Newbury, Berkshire 7 rooms from £89Country Escape - Expect stylish rooms, hearty food and glorious countryside to be explored.Sights nearby - Discover the stunning Highclere Castle which was the setting for TV series Downton Abbey.Great walks - Discover miles of beautiful walking trails starting from near the property.Full of character
The Roseate, Reading Reading (Reading, Berkshire) 23 rooms from £96Foodies - Sample local produce expertly crafted into contemporary British dishes. The cocktails are noteworthy too!Romantic Break - A luxurious stay complete with superb dining, ideal for romantic breaksSights nearby - The medieval Reading Abbey is a short walk away, and why not check out nearby Windsor on a day trip too?Birdwatching - There is a variety of birds to look out for on the Thames Valley walksRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Luxury hotel in an historic red-brick mansion in Forbury Gardens, a lovely Victorian town park. Furnished in a hip and quirky manner with bold designer pieces and fabrics, while commissioned artworks are peppered throughout. Boasting a mouthwatering gourmet menu - prepare to be delighted! See More
The Royal Oak Berkshire 10 rooms from £99Country Escape - An ideal rural pub set in a quaint village and serving a choice selection of ales and hearty food.Cooking classes - Book a cooking course at the Mike Robinson cookery school in Yattendon.Great walks - Find numerous walking trails starting straight from the property.Sights nearby - Visit the National Trust Georgian mansion Basildon Park.Recommended by - Sawdays
A self-proclaimed quintessentially British Inn set in a quiet village surrounded by pretty countryside. Cosy rooms feature white washed walls interrupted by uneven beams, softly patterned fabrics and traditional art. Contemporary British fare is served in the restaurant alongside excellent ales. See More
Queens Arms Berkshire 8 rooms from £100Sights nearby - The Queen’s Arms is 25 minutes’ drive from the pretty Wiltshire market town of MarlboroughTraditional - Queen’s Arms Hotel offers the character of a glorious bygone eraFishing - Enjoy chalk stream fishing in the Rivers Kennet and LambournViews - Many of the rooms have views of the paddocks.Recommended by - Sawdays
Situated in the beautiful Lambourn Valley, this hotel encapsulates the charm of a bygone era. The restaurant serves a classic English menu accompanied by a great wine list. The bedrooms are akin to traditional Inn rooms but with luxury, contemporary touches such as power showers and sumptuous beds. See More
The Great House Berkshire 49 rooms from £100Romantic Break - Lovely accommodation and a superb location makes The Great House a top choice for a romantic getawayActive Holiday - There are a number of activities on offer to get you out enjoying your surroundingsGreat walks - Head off on long hikes around the area or wander through Dinton Pastures Country ParkBirdwatching - Feathers & Fur Falconry Centre has a wonderfully diverse array of bird species
The Great House enjoys a wonderful riverside location in Sonning-on-Thames, Berkshire. Quirky contemporary accommodation offered in the historic 16th century palace yard, 17th century coach house or the clock tower. Chic furnishings and bright colours. Homely dishes are served. A lovely retreat! See More
The Winning Post Berkshire 10 rooms from £107Local exploring - Ideally located to access Ascot and Royal Windsor racecourses.Sights nearby - Discover the history and explore the gardens at Windsor Castle.Full of characterTraditional
Aptly named due to its proximity to the Ascot racecourse, the Winning post, is a traditional inn with plenty of charm. Roaring fires, hearty food served in the restaurant and a great selection of ales are provided downstairs. On top a handful of traditionally dressed rooms are comfortable and cosy. See More
The Pheasant Free House & Hotel Berkshire 11 rooms from £115Country Escape - A lovely rural spot with easy access to London, ideal for weekends away.Sights nearby - Visit Highclere Castle set in 1,000 acres of sweeping Hampshire parkland landscaped by 18th century gardener Capability Brown.Local markets - Scour the Wednesday and Saturday markets for local produce in the historical town of Malborough.Great walks - Take long walks through the North Wessex Downs, declared an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
A beautifully refurbished rural Inn set overlooking the Berkshire Downs. Smart rooms feature white washed walls, sash windows and pops of colour from the soft furnishings. Feast on exemplary pub fare after days spent taking long walks in the picturesque surrounding countryside. See More
The Crab and Boar Newbury, Berkshire 14 rooms from £129Private Hot Tub - Several of the bedrooms have their own patios and outdoor hot tubsGreat walks - Fantastic country walks on The Crab and Boar's doorstepFishing - Near to some of the country’s premier chalkstreamsSights nearby - Highclere Castle - The Real 'Downton Abbey'Recommended by - Sawdays
The Crab and Boar is an historic rural pub with rooms providing contemporary countryside accommodation with comfortable, cosy interiors and a relaxing restaurant for perfect weekend getaways. Some rooms have a private hot tub and terrace. Plenty of country pursuits and outdoor activities nearby. See More
The Dundas Arms Kintbury,, Berkshire 8 rooms from £130Local markets - The nearby market town of Newbury has plenty of shops selling local produce.Fishing - Fly fishing on the River Kennet is popular in the summer months.Great walks - Traverse the Ridgeway National Trail.Romantic - Good for couples.
The Dundas Arms is a grade II listed Georgian inn on the banks of the Kennet, in picturesque Kintbury. Eight rooms are decorated in classic country house style, with feature wallpapers & luxurious bathrooms - river rooms with private terraces. Formal & pub style dining ensure something for all. See More
The Elephant at Pangbourne Pangbourne, Berkshire 22 rooms from £155Quirky - An experience!TraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Crazy Fox Berkshire 4 rooms from £155Local exploring - Ideally positioned in a pretty village close to London, surrounded by good restaurants and numerous activities.Sights nearby - Visit Windsor Castle, the largest and oldest inhabited castle anywhere in the world.Great walks - Take picturesque walks along the Thames path.Full of character
A chic boutique B&B located in the pretty village of Hurley, just a short drive from London. Four individually styled rooms are light and bright with soft hues, simple furniture and contemporary bathrooms. Indulgent breakfasts are served and picturesque countryside is just minutes away. See More
Hurley House Hotel Berkshire 10 rooms from £160Total relaxation - The ideal spot to fully unwind and rejuvenate- bask in the peaceful surroundings and make use of their extensive spa facilitiesFoodies - Michelin star chef Michael Chapman is in charge of Hurley House's exquisite cuisineGreat walks - Head off hiking around the Berkshire countryside or take a stroll through the riverside town of MarlowSailing - There's plenty of opportunity to go rowing on the Thames and the Henley Regata is not to be missed!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Hurley House Hotel is a reinvention of the classic English inn, providing boutique and contemporary accommodation in the heart of Berkshire. Its rooms are decorated in a smart fashion and come with an en-suites. Sit out in the large garden on sunny days. A wonderfully relaxing spot! See More
The Roseate Reading, Berkshire 23 rooms from £175Romantic - Good for couples.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Vineyard at Stockcross Newbury, Berkshire 49 rooms from £194Foodies - Head chef Daniel Galmiche specialises in classic french/Mediterranean cuisine with a modern twist.Spa - Award wining spa with a wide range of therapies and treatments on offer.Sights nearby - 10 minutes from Highclere CastleGreat walks - On the South DownsRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
5* country escape close to Newbury in Berkshire, just an hour from London. A 30,000 strong wine cellar in a luxury hotel with award winning spa for the ultimate pampering. Spacious rooms and suites offer elegant comfort. The perfect country getaway for romance, girlie breaks or simply a great meal. See More
Gilbey's Windsor (Berkshire) 2 rooms from £200Local exploring - Located on Eton High Street, a short walk from Windsor Castle and Eton College.Great walks - Take a stroll through the picturesque Windsor Great Park.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the Queen's residence, Windsor Castle.Full of character
A buzzing restaurant complete with elegant studio apartment and king room. The restaurant is undoubtedly one of the best in town with imaginative menus & excellent wine list. The accommodation is traditional in style yet complete with all the mod-cons. A fabulous base to explore this royal region. See More
Sir Christopher Wren Windsor (Berkshire) 133 rooms from £215Local exploring - A fittingly grand hotel in the heart of this royal town.Great walks - Stroll through Savill Garden, part of the Royal Landscape in Windsor Great Park.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the Queen's residence, Windsor Castle.Romantic - Good for couples.
A grand hotel boasting beautiful views over the Thames. Contemporary rooms are light and airy with soft patterns and simple furnishings. Downstairs is a completely different affair with ornate reception rooms complete with antiques, fireplaces and gilded frames. There's a fabulous restaurant too. See More
The Waterside Inn Maidenhead 11 rooms from £220Restaurant - The Waterside Inn holds three Michelin stars.TraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Relais & Chateaux
Coworth Park Ascot, Berkshire 70 rooms from £320Restaurant - Michelin starredSpa - Conde Nast Best Destination Spa 2017Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolFour poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
This elegant country retreat on London’s doorstep delivers the Dorchester Collection's signature of five-star luxury and discreet service. A grand spa and outdoor country pursuits provide a mix of indulgence and activity, while Restaurant Coworth Park offers Michelin starred British fare. See More
Cliveden House Taplow, Berkshire 44 rooms from £468Swimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsCountry House - Grand neoclassical pileRestaurant - Recommended.AntiquesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Boasting a spectacular rural setting and a famous history, Cliveden House is one of the great country houses of Britain. Feel like an extra in Downtown Abbey, explore the National Trust estate, relax in the spa, have a cocktail in the Library bar plus two restaurants and the best beds in the world. See More