The 16 Best Hotels in Indre By, Copenhagen
Indre By is Copenhagen’s inner city — that’s the direct translation, but it’s also the historic heart of town, the bit between the city’s two bodies of water, the inner harbour and the lakes. This is where you’ll find the palaces; the much photographed old port district, Nyhavn; the Tivoli Gardens; many of the art galleries and museums, including the Design Museum; and the best shopping. So the hotels in Indre By are ideal if you want a base that allows you to see the city on foot, or see the city views from your room. Being a central part of a city known for its design, Indre By is packed with beautifully designed hotels in a range of styles and price, and into our list of recommendations for the best hotels in Indre By our Gurus have slipped some of top notch luxury options and chic design hotels. There are also some great value hotels in Indre By, and some of the best family hotels in the city.
For Copenhagen Views
- Overlooking the dockyard at Nyhaven — which is one of Copenhagen’s classic views, Nyhaven 71, has been stylishly converted from a brick warehouse, and looks all brick industrial cool outside and all chic Danish design inside. There’s a great restaurant, you’re surrounded by other places to eat and drink, and walking distance from all the major sights. There are 150 rooms and suites, and it’s worth looking into the larger room sizes, as they have the best views.
For Copenhagen Cool
- The Hotel Herman K is wonderfully architectural looking, 31 room hotel. The unusual, dark coloured exterior is carried through into the lounge, bar and Nordic restaurant, but the rooms and suites are decorated in white and soft greys, with accents of brushed concrete and marble, minimalist furniture and floor-to-ceiling windows.
- Hip SP34 is a boutique hotel in the Latin Quarter, with stylish rooms and suites in a range of sizes, and a fantastic penthouse with incredible views. The decor is neutral, but with edge; think unexpected art and details that add comfort and interest. This is a great city base for families too.
For Danish Design
- If you’re a fan of Danish design then the Hotel Sanders is one to consider. This 54 room hotel is perfectly positioned AND turned out, with a myriad of beautiful furnishing details, and a charming roof terrace bar known for its cocktails. The bistro restaurant downstairs is popular wth locals too.
- The Hotel Danmark is ideal for anyone visiting Copenhagen to appreciate beautiful Danish design. Its 89 rooms and suites are carefully planned out to maximise the sense of space, but also to display stylish pieces of furniture — from the compact doubles to the big suites. There’s a rooftop cocktail bar with great city views and a chic but comfortable restaurant.
- The d'Angleterre is a wonderful luxurious grand hotel converted from a former palace, with 90 beautiful rooms and suites. The facade indicates the luxurious interiors, and you should expect chandeliers, silk furnishings, huge marble bathrooms and plush details in the rooms, and an air of warm opulence in the Michelin-starred restaurant and champagne bar. There’s an excellent spa and a pool and gym as well.
- Nobis Copenhagen is a hotel as grand as a palace, perfectly positioned in the heart of Copenhagen. There are 75 rooms and suites, featuring some of the original grand palace-y features, but updates with minimalist furniture and block colours. The French Nordic fusion restaurant is elegant and fabulous, as are the bar and spa.
- The CitizenM Radhuspladsen has all the perks and hallmarks of your classic CitizenM: the pod bathrooms with coloured lighting you can control, the huge windows and beds, and the large and funky communal spaces. But this time with more Danish art. The views are really good too.
- Ibsens Hotel is central, cool and comfortable, close to the Tivoli Gardens, in the colourful Nansengade neighbourhood — which is great for transport links, bars and restaurants.
- The Nimb Hotel looks like a Moorish Palace, especially when it’s all lit up on an evening, and standing elegantly amongst the hubbub of lights in the Tivoli Gardens. The outside looks like a fairytale, but inside it’s smart and sophisticated, with cool neutrals and opulent contemporary accents. Its three dining options will not disappoint either.
- Hotel Kong Arthur, situated close to the peaceful Copenhagen Lakes, was converted from a grand building at the end of a secured cobbled alley. The 155 rooms and suites are all individually decorated with Danish design pieces and antiques, and there’s a very memorable conservatory dining room, and a cosy sitting room. There’s also a spa.
- Perfectly positioned for exploring the city because it was once a department store, the Hotel Skt Petri is a well priced luxury hotel with 288 rooms and suites. The accommodation is large, bright and airy, with a selection of room sizes that offer something to everyone. The buffet breakfast is highly recommended, the restaurant serves Nordic cuisine, there’s a garden courtyard, and the bar has an impressive range of microbrew beers.
- The Scandic Palace Hotel is a striking and historic building close to city hall and the Tivoli Gardens. And ideal if you ever worry about losing your way. Inside, the 169 rooms and suites are light, comfortable and unfussy.
For a Bit More Space
- The Manon Les Suites is a collection of 80 rooms and suites arranged around a central, rectangular, indoor landscaped jungle pool. The shimmering blue green tiles and hanging trellises of plants are unexpected but extremely pleasant, as is the rooftop courtyard and bar with a view. The rooms are designed with both style and comfort in mind.
For Great Value
- The Copenhagen Strand Hotel is wonderfully positioned on the water, just around the corner from beautiful Nyhavn and the Opera House, and across the water from cool Christiania. You’re within a short stroll from everything. In addition to the water views, these 174 rooms and suites are styled to Scandinavian perfection, with pale blue and neutral shades and lots of exposed wood. There’s no restaurant but there is a cafe and they offer breakfast.
- The Hotel Alexandra is packed with wonderful Danish furniture and art, though each of the 61 rooms and suites are different! The result is sophisticated but fun, and that feeling runs through to the cool bar, library and excellent restaurant. The location is within a stroll of many highlights too.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse our recommendations in neighbouring Vesterbro
- Search by type of hotels, and peruse our recommendations for the best hotels in Copenhagen for Families, the best budget hotels in Copenhagen or the most romantic hotels in Copenhagen
- Or expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Copenhagen
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel Herman K Copenhagen 31 rooms from £234City Style - A grown-up and stylish property featuring a vibey cocktail bar and restaurant.Sights nearby - Admire the renowned Little mermaid statue.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Lively - Hip and happening.
Hotel Skt Petri Copenhagen 288 rooms from £152City Style - Wonderfully located in downtown Copenhagen, with interior colour schemes by renowned Danish graphic artist Per Arnoldi.Great walks - Superkilen is an urban park designed by some of Denmark's leading architects. A must visit.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Fodors, Tablet
This perfectly located, reasonably priced, luxury hotel is a favourite in Copenhagen. Rooms are bright and airy with Jensen beds. A stand out buffet breakfast and an excellent range of microbrewed beers are offered. Business people, families and couples will all feel at home here. A slick choice. See More
Hotel Sanders Copenhagen 54 rooms from £314City Style - This cool and collected hotel has taken Copenhangen by storm, the perfect city break for the modern travellerTotal relaxation - Cocktails on the rooftop, gourmet cuisine downstairs and an in room massage- what could be better!Romantic Break - An elegant and atmospheric hotel, ideal for a chic getaway for twoSights nearby - Within walking distance of the main attractions of the city, as well as plenty of bars and restaurants
An effortlessly elegant boutique in the heart of Copenhagen. With soft furnishings, neutral tones and fine attention to detail, each room comes with its own charms. The roof terrace serves knockout cocktails, while downstairs the bistro style restaurant never fails to impress. A timeless classic. See More
Copenhagen Strand Hotel Copenhagen 174 rooms from £130Local exploring - Ideally placed for exploring the city on foot.Sights nearby - Admire the architecture of Christian IV’s Brewery, one of Copenhagen's oldest buildings.Views - Great views from hotelTraditional
A chic waterfront property boasting an excellent central location. Rooms are typically Scandinavian in style with pale blue tones, wooden floors and plenty of light. Danish breakfasts are served in the stylish breakfast room and many of the city's main attractions are just a stroll away. See More
d'Angleterre Copenhagen 90 rooms from £365City Style - Set in a former palace, with views of many of the city's sights from the roof terrace, this is a luxurious choiceGreat walks - From Kongens Nytorv to the harbour front just south of the Royal PlayhouseSights nearby - Amalienborg Castle, Rosenborg Castles and Kronborg CastleRestaurant - Nordic and french cuisine.
Nyhaven 71 Copenhagen 150 rooms from £157City Style - Overlooking the Nyhavn dockyard, and walkable to many of the city's finest sights, this designer hotel is ideal for exploringGreat walks - From Nyhavn, Copenhagen's port pearl, which stretches from Kongens Nytorv Square and all the way along the canalSights nearby - Amalienborg, the queen´s official residenceRestaurant - Market fresh seasonal menu.Recommended by - Fodors
Designer hotel in converted warehouse. Rooms feature wooden beam ceilings, contemporary furniture, artworks and leather furniture. Excellent restaurant offering international cuisine. Slick and chic, although standard room size means it is worth upgrading to two-floor suite. See More
Hotel Danmark Copenhagen 89 rooms from £159Local exploring - Boasting a very central location, this is an ideal base from which to explore the city.Great walks - Wander through the local area and admire the half-timbered houses and cobblestoned streets.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Restaurant - Recommended.
Scandic Palace Hotel Copenhagen 169 rooms from £169Local exploring - Right in the heart of the city centre, it's perfect for exploring the sights and sounds of Copenhagen.Great walks - The nearby Tivoli Gardens are ideal for a relaxed afternoon walk.Sights nearby - Right beside the Hans Christian Andersen Fairy-Tale House.Restaurant - Recommended.
Set in a historic building near the city hall, Scandic Palace Hotel is ideally placed for a trip to Copenhagen. The rooms are comfortable and light with fashionable furnishings. Downstairs, the restaurant serves Nordic cuisine and the hotel's atmospheric bar is a great place to enjoy a cocktail. See More
SP34 Copenhagen 118 rooms from £153Roof terrace - Lovely roof terrace bar.City StyleSights nearby - The hotel is situated in Copenhagen's Latin Quarter and 500 meters from Tivoli.Restaurant - Two restaurants: one serving "posh" burgers, the other Mediterranean inspired.
CitizenM Radhuspladsen Copenhagen 238 rooms from £114City Style - A stylish and arty central base great for shopping and sightseeingSights nearby - Head to the famous Tivoli Gardens and the Botanical Garden nearbyViews - Great views from hotelLively - Hip and happening.
A modern and quirky central hotel featuring murals and artwork by established Danish artists. The jazzy open-plan lobby is the real focal point, with a multitude of comfy bright sofas, statement lamps and carpets, and a hip bar. Rooms boast enormous beds and great views. A hip and buzzing base! See More
Hotel Alexandra Copenhagen 61 rooms from £105City StyleSights nearby - Just 200 metres from Tivoli Gardens and Town Hall Square.Restaurant - Vietnamese inspired cuisineLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
Manon Les Suites Copenhagen 80 rooms from £244City Style - Boasting stylish suites, a courtyard pool and rooftop terrace this is a hit with the young and fashionable.Great walks - Step out of the hotel and take a stroll around the scenic lakes.Sights nearby - Visit the striking Amalienborg (the queen's winter residence).Local markets - Sample the wares at the food stalls in Torvehallerne.
A stylish hotel set surrounded by lakes in a central part of Copenhagen. Contemporary suites feature large expanses of glass opening out onto great city views. There's a large courtyard pool and atmospheric rooftop. With easy access to all parts of the city this is an ideal city base. See More
Ibsens hotel Copenhagen 118 rooms from £135Spa - Oriental Ni’mat Spa at Ibsens' sister hotel Kong Arthur.Sights nearby - World-famous Little Mermaid statue.Local markets - Good for local colour.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller
Hotel Kong Arthur Copenhagen 155 rooms from £141Local exploring - Centrally located for getting about townCity Style - Located in a commanding period buildingGreat walks - Visit the Botanical Gardens nearbySights nearby - Christiansborg Palace
A grand building set on a secluded cobblestoned alley, near the peaceful Copenhagen lakes. The hotel has a cosy sitting room with fireplace and airy conservatory dining area. Bedrooms are uniquely decorated and featuring chic Danish design. A great spot with three fine restaurants. See More
Nimb Hotel Copenhagen 17 rooms from £326City Style - An ultra chic Arabian fantasy castle, nestled in the lovely Tivoli Gardens, with glass chandeliers and Øland granite stonework.Foodies - From Nimb Brasserie to Fru Nimb and Nimb Terrasse this hotel has a multitude of fantastic dining (and drinking) options.Sights nearby - Edvard Eriksen’s diminutive Little Mermaid statue can be viewed from Langelinie promenade, a twenty minute cycle from the hotel.Great walks - Stroll around the ajoining Tivoli Gardens, these historic gardens date back to 1843.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Mr & Mrs Smith
Early 20th-century Moorish-inspired palace becomes a sleek new design hotel. The exteriors carry a fairytale appeal, but the inside is all smart sophistication with antiques, warm wood floors and bold modern pieces. Sumptuous bedrooms and gastronomic feasts in all of the great restaurants. See More
Nobis Copenhagen Copenhagen (København V) 75 rooms from £303Local exploring - A luxurious base ideally placed in the centre of the city just opposite the Tivoli Gardens.Sailing - Hire a boat and cruise along the picturesque canals.Great walks - Stroll through the scenic Tivoli Gardens.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
A grand hotel set in the heart of the city. Expect Scandi design at its finest in this luxurious property. Rooms feature high ceilings, block colouring and minimalist furniture. A fabulous restaurant serves a fusion of Nordic and French cuisine, there's an elegant bar and a small spa too. See More