20 of the Best Boutique Hotels in Paris
There are certainly lots of hotels calling themselves a ‘boutique hotel' in Paris, and that’s great because we think a lot of us love a great boutique hotel. And whilst the term has certainly broadened with age, today not all Paris’s boutique hotels are as ‘boutique-y’ as they used to be. Some hotels with particularly great design and use of space are calling themselves boutique, and there are some particularly beautifully converted townhouses that are also appropriating the name, as well as the small, upscale and gorgeously personalised and detailed hotels that the term was originally coined for. We’ve also included some hotels on our list of the best boutique hotels in Paris that are probably a bit too big to properly qualify in the original sense of the term, and one or two which are probably a bit too affordable! But we certainly feel that our selection is a great place to start your search for intimate, beautiful, personalised and upscale hotels in Paris. And we have been quite strict. Enjoy!
20 of the Best Boutique Hotels in Paris
The Best Boutique Hotels for a Special Occasion
- The Hotel Bourg Tibourg is a compact, Parisian townhouse on the outside, but on the inside it’s nothing less than a Moorish palace, complete with sultry boudoirs dripping with rich fabrics held in place by tassels, fragranced by innumerable scented candles and dimly, but beautifully lit. Definitely sensual, this 30 room hotel is in a great spot close to the Pompidou Centre and the Marais, and surrounded by cafes, bars, boutiques and galleries. There’s no restaurant, but they do offer breakfast and room service and there’s a gorgeous lounge which lends the feeling of being a houseguest at a wonderful party…
- L’Hôtel has all the accoutrements of a special occasion hotel: a gorgeous and very popular bar: Le Bar, a wonderfully luxurious spa and a candlelit plunge pool, fancy afternoon teas, and a fantastically central location. And it looks every inch the special occasion hotel too, with opulent, flamboyant even, interiors by Jacques Garcia — 20 rooms, arranged around a fabulous central atrium. But what makes L’Hotel extra special is that this was Oscar Wilde’s Left Bank address until his untimely death in one of their rooms, a fact that’s romantic on so many levels, but probably most relevant here because he’s known for having decadent aesthetic tastes, which these days we’d probably call ‘boutique’.
Paris's Best Boutique Bolt-Holes
- Even amongst this list of beautiful, special hotels, Le Petit Moulin stands out for its fabulousness. Designed by Christian Lacroix, and situated in the Marais (in a building they claim to be Paris’ first boulangerie — where they say Victor Hugo bought his baguettes), this 17 room hotel is a jewel box of surprises. It appears that Lacroix designs hotels like he designs for fashion, with a riotous love of colour and richness, and traditional mixed with exotic. Totally memorable, romantic and excellent value all things considered.
- There’s no error, we are going to list a second Christian Lacroix creation as a boutique bolt-hole pick.But Notre Dame surely deserves it with his newest effort, the transformation of a 400year old riverside townhouse, with incredible views of Notre-Dame, into a super chic 26 room hotel. If you like a bold wall design then this is the place for you: here Lacroix has mixed and matched and collaged some seriously iconic art and design, and a lot of it’s on the walls and the floor. There’s no restaurant, but they do breakfast. It’s worth knowing that you pay a premium for the incredible views and there are often great deals for rooms on the ‘wrong side’.
- If you want a boutique bolt-hole with a less showy, more elegant design then the Le Roch Hotel & Spa might be more your style. Close to the Jardin des Tuileries, these 37 rooms are cosy and plush, with beautiful carpets and solid walnut flooring, brass detailing and plenty of ocean-coloured velvet. The 6th floor apartment is perfect if you want privacy as you’ll have the whole place to yourself. As well as the spa there’s a pool, terrace and elegant restaurant.
The Most Romantic Boutique Hotels in Paris
- The Hôtel Providence has been carefully converted from an upscale townhouse in the 10th Arrondissement, and is now an 18 room hotel which fits very neatly into the original concept of a boutique hotel. As well as being small, very personal, and having individually decorated rooms and suites, this hotel has been carefully curated with antiques, designer pieces and flea-market treasures. If you opt for a suite, which are quite affordable, they come complete with a mini-cocktail bar. You don’t need it though, there’s a stylish bar and restaurant on site. if you want a view as well book the penthouse suite for sweeping views of Montmartre.
- If you find the red velvet and gilt of theatres a romantic palette then the Maison Athénée’s beautiful opera-inspired interiors might be for you. The 20 rooms invoke a boudoir with satin drapes and damask trims, Hermès toiletries add to the luxury experience. There is a petit salon for breakfast and you can order food from the bar if you need to, but the central, Opéra Garnier, location means you’re close to some excellent bars and restaurants. Intimate and choc-a-bloc with Parisian charm.
- The Hotel de Banville is a bit off centre in the 17th Arrondissement, in the ‘Ternes’ district north of Etoile, but that means that its upper floor rooms have panoramic views of the city, which is one of the reasons we think it’s romantic. Its beautifully restored Art Deco exterior we find romantic too, and its 49 individually decorated rooms are elegant, peaceful, and fun in varying combinations, which you can suit to yourselves. There’s no restaurant, but they do offer breakfast and you’re just a few minutes from the Place du Maréchal-Juin where you’ll find some of Paris's most renowned restaurants and bars.
Some of the Best Design Hotels in Paris
The grey area between boutique hotels and design hotels is quite large, in our opinion, especially when you accommodate different definitions of both words. So we’ve included some of the best in that grey area here.
- Starting with Room Mate Alain, a 49 room hotel in a fashionable spot on the Champs Élysées. The interiors reflect both the French fashion houses local to the hotel, and the Italian furnishing and design companies. it also has some great antiques, and cool optical-illusion bedding. There’s a spa, but no restaurant, but they do offer breakfast.
- The Hotel des Académies et des Arts is another wonderful design/boutique hotel with a really unique look and feel, and a great arty theme – well it is in Montparnasse, on the street where Modigliani had his studio and across the road from the Academie de la Grande Chaumiere. Throughout the interiors are white bodies, painted by Jerôme Mesnager, and sculpted by Sophie Watrigant. There’s a spa, but again no restaurant, though they do offer breakfast. And just around the corner is the historic piano bar, La Closerie des Lilas, frequented by Hemingway, Picasso and Fitzgerald.
- Le 123’s 41 rooms are quite bijoux, but all individually designed and themed, using bold colours, interesting objects and famous photographs. Sitauted close to the Marais, this hotel is in a great spot for nightlife, and for sightseeing. There’s no restaurant but they have a cafe and offer breakfast.
- The Oberkampf building the Hôtel Fabric now occupies was once a factory, producing you can probably guess what. Now it’s a 33 room hotel with a bright, playful air and a stylish 19th century exterior. Each of the rooms are individually decorated, and there’s a nod to the building’s industrial past in the design. The location is up-and-coming, a haven for foodies, where streets are lined with new places to eat and drink. It's also a great place to explore, whilst being not too far from Montmartre or the Marais. There’s no restaurant but they offer room service using local eateries.
Boutique Chic On Paris’s Left Bank
- Perfectly positioned in fashionable St Germain des Pres, Le Placide Hotel is small and elegant, with eleven rooms which are much more spacious than your average Parisian hotel room. The decor is relatively simple, but very clever, designed by Bruno Borrione, an associate of Philippe Starck, and features lots of natural light, wallpaper with a stylised tree pattern, Missoni rugs and leather and mirrored furniture.
- Just a short stroll from the Latin Quarter, the Hôtel Henriette is a beautifully converted townhouse with a chic, industrial feel. There are 32 rooms and all feel bright but unique. There’s no restaurant but they do offer breakfast.
- The Hotel Verneuil is a quiet and romantic hotel in the historically arty area of St Germain des Prés. The 26 rooms are cosy but well lit, complete with antiques and books, like the guest rooms in an elegant private house. There’s a welcoming sitting room and the breakfast room is in the cellar. This is the perfect boutique hotel for exploring the Left Bank.
- The Hotel de Lille is a stylish, 19th century pied-à-terre tucked away in Saint Germain des Prés, with chic, contemporary decor that’s on the very softest edge of industrial. They’ve got great family rooms and the location is fantastic for sightseeing. There’s no restaurant but they do offer breakfast.
Boutique Hotels in Perfect Paris Locations
- Close to the Champs Élysées and the Arc de Triomphe and all the best bistros and boutiques, the Hotel Keppler has 34 sophisticated rooms and suites with all the latest technology, and some striking design details. There’s no restaurant, but they do offer breakfast and the location is superb for going out of an evening.
Some of Paris's Best Value Boutique Hotels
- The Hotel Thérèse has a really fantastic position right in the heart of Paris, and occupies a beautifully restored building dating from the 18th century. The Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay are under ten minutes away on foot. It’s bijou, but tres chic, with a carefully designed appearance that includes quality beds and linens, Philippe Starck lighting and attractive old-style tap fittings. The breakfast is served in the vaulted breakfast room or in bed, and while there’s no restaurant in this part of town you really don’t need one.
- Only 300metres from the Pigalle Metro, the Grand Pigalle Hotel is another easy choice for a stylish and affordable see-the-sights type of city break. Its 37 rooms and suites are modern/contemporary in chic colour combinations, with some great original features in some rooms, and stylish headboards. There’s also a comfortable restaurant and a smart bar which is popular with non-guests as well, plus there’s a little terrace garden.
- Directly, and we mean directly, overlooking the Pantheon, Les Dames du Pantheon is a chic, 35 room hotel with an eclectic range of decor details that come together differently in each room. So have a look at a few before you make your choice. There’s no restaurant but there is a bar and breakfast room, and both are stylish and sharp, just like the room decor. They have family suites too, and the best rooms have terraces overlooking the Pantheon roof.
Still not sure which to book? You could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Paris.
- Or you might be looking for a hotel for a special occasion, in which case you might find our recommendations for 20 of the Most Romantic Hotels in Paris useful, or our list of 20 of the Best Paris Hotels with a Balcony.
- We also like our list of 16 Paris Hotels with the Best Views or, for design lovers, try our 10 Chic Paris Hotels.
- You could refine your search by location and check our our recommendations for 12 of the best hotels in the 7th Arrondissement, on the Left Bank and around the Eiffel Tower.
- Or consult our list of 4 of the Best Hotels in Montmartre, around Sacre Coeur.
- or the 10 Best Hotels in the Latin Quarter, or the 10 best hotels in St Germain des Pres, or the 5 Best Hotels in The Marais.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel Bourg Tibourg Paris 30 rooms from £252Romantic Break - An opulent and sultry love nest, think miles of red velvet, subdued lighting and Byzantine alcoves with mosaic-tile tubs.Sights nearby - Marais is brimming with galleries, historic sights and museums, the most notable, Notre Dame, is just down the road.Lively area - In the heart of the Marais.Designer - Jacques Garcia interiors.Recommended by - Frommers, Fodors
A handsome and compact Parisian townhouse turned sultry Moorish palace. The heavily adorned, compact boudoirs boast rich fabrics, innumerable tassels, dim lighting and scented candles. Enjoy breakfast in bed, lounging in the plush sitting room or stepping out into lively Paris. Wonderfully sensual. See More
Le Petit Moulin Paris 17 rooms from £187Romantic Break - Romantic break in a prime location and surrounded by unique and vibrant interior design.Value chic - Prime location, funky interiors, wonderful service and easy on the wallet!Local markets - Head to the oldest covered market in Paris - Marché des Enfants Rouges.Sights nearby - Picasso Museum is a just around the corner.Recommended by - Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
Fabulous, vibrant and unique 4* boutique designed by Christian Lacroix. Each stylish and comfortable room exudes its own unique charm. Enjoy a super-chic stay at the heart of the Marais. Breakfast is served in the vintage bistro, which moonlights as guest only bar in come sundown. See More
Notre Dame Paris 26 rooms from £140City Style - A wonderfully chic hotel in central Paris, offering funky interiors and unbeatable views of the Seine and Notre Dame.Sights nearby - Having admired it from your room visit the Notre-Dame Cathedral for real.Great walks - Take a stroll along the banks of the Seine.Designer - Interiors by Christian Lacroix.Recommended by - Tablet
Hôtel Providence Paris (10th arrondissement) 18 rooms from £138Local exploring - Set close to the upscale covered food market of Marché de St-Martin, this hotel is the perfect base for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love this bohemian Paris bolt-hole; book a luxury suite for romantic Monmartre views from a private terraceCity Style - Set in a charming 19th-century townhouse in the eastern district, this hotel has reams of chic Parisian styleGreat walks - Explore the picturesque Parisian streets on a long walk through the city centre; head to the Sacré-Coeur for a romantic sunset
At just 18 rooms, this upscale townhouse hotel in Paris' 10th district is truly boutique. Hand-selected antiques, flea market finds and designer pieces blend in the beautifully appointed suites, complete with a mini cocktail bar; book the Penthouse Suite for romantic Montmartre views. A chic escape. See More
Le Roch Hotel & Spa Paris (1st arrondissement) 37 rooms from £351Romantic Break - Couples rate the beautifully appointed rooms at this hotel highly; book the apartment for indulgent private use of the 6th floorLocal exploring - Rubbing shoulders with the Jardin des Tuileries, this hotel is a fantastic starting point for local exploringCity Style - With designer suites and a central Paris postcode, this hotel has reams of local city styleSights nearby - Visit the main Paris attractions, all set close to this hotel; start at the Arc de Triomphe and head to Opéra Bastille nextRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Design Hotels
This stylish boutique bolt-hole is nestled alongside the Jardin des Tuileries in Paris. The designer guestrooms are cosy and plush, with carpets by Chevalier Edition over solid walnut flooring; book the apartment for exclusive use of the entire 6th floor. Have a dip in the huge pool; a chic getaway. See More
Hotel de Banville Paris 38 rooms from £187City Style - A beautiful art deco hotel in a leafy area away from the hoards of tourists- with typically chic French interiors.Families - Under 12's stay for free and kiddies are catered for from extra cots and beds to babysitting.Views - The rooms on the upper floors have great views over the city.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
Maison Athénée Paris (9th arrondissement) 20 rooms from £215City Style - Dressed by one of the most celebrated designer in Paris, and with an unbeatable location, this hotel has reams of Parisian charmFamilies - Family rooms at this hotel can accommodate children and the location makes sightseeing with young ones easierLocal exploring - Set close to the Opéra Garnier, this hotel is within walking distance of most of Paris' best attractionsGreat walks - See picturesque Paris on a long walk through the city; start at the pretty Jardin des Tuileries close to the hotel
This boutique pied à terre sits close to Opéra Garnier in central Paris. Opera-inspired interiors by Jacques Garcia are sleek and elegant, invoking a boudoir with satin drapes and damask trims; Hermès toiletries add to the luxury experience. A classic smoking room and petit salon complete the hotel. See More
Le Placide Hotel Paris 11 rooms from £234Romantic Break - This uber chic hotel is an ideal grown up getaway for two, with romantic touches such as rose petals on the bed.City Style - Bruno Borrione's design plays with light, colours and materials to carefully craft an experience like no other.Designer - By Bruno Borrione from the Philippe Starck firm.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Frommers
A stylish and intimate boutique, in the heart of fashionable Saint-Germain. The eleven colour themed rooms (larger than you average Paris hotel) are bathed in natural light. Enjoy a relaxed breakfast in bed or in the charming courtyard. Perfectly placed for a glamourous weekend away. See More
Hotel des Académies et des Arts Paris 20 rooms from £182Local exploring - Spend days immersed in this fascinating neighbourhood, now home to as many contemporary artists studios as haunts of the greats.City Style - Glamourous, chic and totally unqiue- rooms ooze edgy decadent elegance, encapsulating the Left Bank.Sights nearby - The hotel will organise visits to artists’ studios in the area, including Jérôme Mesnager and Sophie de Watrigant.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Michelin Travel
Room Mate Alain Paris (16th arrondissement) 49 rooms from £176City Style - Set in an elegant townhouse on one of the most famous streets in Paris, this hotel has lots of local city charmLocal exploring - With a prime location on the Champs-Élysées, this hotel makes a great base for local exploring in ParisRomantic Break - Couples rate this design hotel highly; book a luxury suite for added indulgenceSights nearby - See the sights of Paris, from the Eiffel Tower to the Arc de Triomphe, all located close to the hotel
This Parisian design hotel takes pride of place on the Champs Élysées. Interiors combine the palettes of classic French fashion houses with Italian bespoke furnishings and hand-selected antiques; optical-illusion bedspreads add a retro feel in the guestrooms. A chic hotel with a relaxed atmosphere. See More
Le 123 Paris 41 rooms from £110LuxuryCity StyleSights nearby - Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysées.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Hôtel Fabric Paris (11th arrondissement) 33 rooms from £199Foodies - Oberkampf is a haven for foodies, boasting streets lined with eateries; sample food from a local bistro via room serviceCity Style - Set in a beautifully appointed former factory in the up-and-coming Oberkampf district, this hotel has chic city styleLocal exploring - Discover this trendy, bohemian district of Paris from this boutique base, perfect for local exploringGreat walks - Explore the area with a long walk along the Canal Saint-Martin; stop off at cosy bars for drinks on the way
This boutique hotel is set in a lovingly restored, 19th-century factory in Oberkampf, Paris. Chic guestrooms nod to the property's industrial past with lofty rooms featuring exposed brick walls, while colourful headboards and print throws add a playful feel. A stylish city break in bohemian Paris. See More
Hotel Verneuil Paris 26 rooms from £210Local exploring - Wonderfully located for exploring the city, plus the conceirge will orchestrate priority passes to Paris' top sites.City Style - Spectacularly renovated 17th-century townhouse, surrounded by elegant streets and art-drenched cafés.Sights nearby - Wonderfully located with Musée d'Orsay, Louvre, Les Invalides and the Seine within a few minutes walk.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Frommers, Tablet
Hotel de Lille Paris (7th arrondissement) 15 rooms from £225Families - The family rooms at this hotel are perfect for parents travelling with children, and the location makes sightseeing easyCity Style - With stylish and contemporary interiors and a central Paris location, this hotel has lots of city charmLocal exploring - Explore the sights from this riverside bolt-hole, with the Louvre Museum just a stone's throw awaySights nearby - Visit the Église de Saint Germain des Prés, a celebrated church with detailed stained glass windows
This 19th-century Parisian pied-à-terre is tucked away in Saint Germain des Prés. Stylish guestrooms have had a contemporary facelift and feel homely, with wooden bookshelves and photographs of famous clientele. Family suites are ideal for parents, and the hotel's location is great for sightseeing. See More
Hotel Keppler Paris 34 rooms from £289City StyleSights nearby - Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees.Romantic - Good for couples.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Hôtel Henriette Paris (13th arrondissement) 32 rooms from £190Romantic Break - Couples love the bright, contemporary rooms at this pretty Parisian bolt-hole; start the day with breakfast on the sunny terraceLocal exploring - Set on a quiet street close to the bustling Latin Quarter, this hotel is the perfect base for exploring the capitalCity Style - With stylish interiors and a central location, this hotel has plenty of Parisian charmSights nearby - Visit the nearby Jardin du Luxembourg, royal gardens created beginning in 1612 by Marie de' Medici, the widow of King Henry IV
This pretty boutique hotel is on Paris' Left Bank, a short stroll from the Latin Quarter. A classic townhouse facade gives way to thoughtfully designed guestrooms in a gentle pastel palette with a bohemian chic style, featuring floral motifs and Art Deco mirrors. Perfect for a romantic weekend away. See More
Hotel Thérèse Paris 40 rooms from £156Honeymoons - Enjoy your lazy breakfast in bed in a classically stylish Parisian suite, before heading out to explore the city of love.City Style - Chic interiors and glamourous salons, in an unbeatable central location, Molière and Stendhal are old neighbours!Great walks - Just five minutes from the fragrant Jardins du Palais Royal and the famed Jardins des Tuileries.Outstanding locationRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Michelin Travel
Wonderfully restored 18th-century building, smack bang in the centre of Paris. Small but achingly chic suites are decorated in the utmost style and attention to detail. Mouthwatering breakfast served in the vaulted restaurant or in bed. The Hotel Thérèse is a perfect bolthole for exploring the city. See More
Grand Pigalle Hotel Paris 37 rooms from £120Sights nearby - A short walk from the Sacré Coeur and Moulin Rouge with the Louvre, Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame Cathedral also nearbyLocal markets - There are several flea markets to explore all just off the Rue des Rosier, Montmartre's main streetGreat walks - Take a stroll around to truly get to know this wonderful city and its beautiful architectureRecommended by - Michelin Travel, CN Traveller
Located in Montmartre, one of the liveliest neighbourhoods in Paris, Grand Pigalle Hotel features smart modern rooms and has a superb restaurant that's definitely worth a visit. Just a short walk from Paris' sights. An upmarket stay with Parisian chic rooms - ideal for a city break. See More
Les Dames du Pantheon Paris 35 rooms from £135Sights nearby - A stone's throw from the Panthéon.Lively area - In the thick of the action.