The Best Boutique Hotels on Sicily
Spectacular, dramatic Sicily offers both a wealth of natural treasures and cultural ones. Surrounded by the sparkling waters of the Mediterranean, this island not only has snow capped mountains in winter, but it offers views of two active volcanoes, Etna, on the east coast and Stromboli on a small island just off the northern coast. Sicily’s beauty has charmed poets from Homer to Virgil and made it a prize for many ancient civilisations, all of whom have made their marks and built their legacies here. And today there are both majestic ruins and beautifully preserved architectural masterpieces. Use our guide to the best boutique hotels on Sicily and start to plan your grand tour!
This is certainly an island to be done in style, and our Guru’s recommendations for the best boutique hotels on Sicily are a wonderful collection of comfortable and stylish places to stay. Not all of our recommendations fit the strictest characteristics of a boutique hotel, but they’re all smaller properties with impeccable decor and design, excellent service and a certain luxurious ambience.
Most of the properties on our list of the best boutique hotels on Sicily have a restaurant serving the wonderful cuisine Sicily is known for, but the ones that don’t are conveniently located close to restaurants and cafes that do. As we said, this is an island to be done in style. Even if you’re here to hike the hill or just relax on the beach.
The Best Boutique Hotels on Sicily
For Sicilian Views
- If you want to be close to the volcano, Monaci delle Terre Nere is perched on Etna's slopes. The deep pink villa looks deceptively traditional as you approach, yet, inside, stone walls, wooden beams and bare plaster mix with shiny glass, bright art works and bold contemporary lighting. Rooms are scattered throughout the grounds in converted farm buildings as well as some new-builds. Lie by the pool and gaze up at Mount Etna, or at the vineyards fanning out below you to the coast.
- With white-on-white bedrooms, glass-walled bathrooms and pared-down furnishings, Zash Country Boutique Hotel is a minimalist's joy. And it’s all set within a traditional, ochre-coloured country house. Outside, there’s a shimmering infinity pool, beautiful, yet simple, gardens and views of Mount Etna.
- Azienda Agricola Mandranova is a gorgeous converted olive farmhouse set on a hillside. There are 16 rooms and suites, and two private cottages. The property is surrounded by African gardens, and the food is excellent. Not to mention the beautiful views!
The Most Romantic Boutique Hotels on Sicily
- The Hotel Villa Ducale is a romantic Sicilian villa overlooking the bay at Taormina. There are 17 characterful rooms and suites with Italianate furnishings and rose-clad terraces. They also have a very nice spa.
- Henry’s House is a unique property on the architecturally famous island of Ortygia, with 12 bohemian style rooms and a treasure trove of antiques and objets d’art. There’s also a wonderful sun terrace with amazing views over the Med.
- The Palazzo Failla probably doesn’t quite qualify as a boutique hotel, but the decor is really something, so if you’re looking for a small, unique property with aristocratic details - think frescoed ceilings, Toile du jouy wallpapers and rich fabrics - then this property, in the centre of Modica, is for you. it’s also got a Michelin-starred restaurant.
For a Beachside Boutique Hotel
- The Siracusa Resort has the only private beach in Syracuse, and you only have to share it with the inhabitants of the other 11 rooms, one suite and three apartments. The decor is chic, lending from the natural elements - think exposed stone, whitewashed walls and fine fabrics.
- The Hotel Villa Carlotta is a luxurious villa on a clifftop, overlooking the Ionian Sea. There are 23 sumptuous rooms, suites and apartments, all with private balconies and terraces, stone floors and rich fabrics. The pool and restaurant are also idyllic.
- Cas’almare is a gorgeous, six room guesthouse in a sunny spot on the island of Favignana. As well as having its own private beach this property offer private balconies and sea facing views.
- Also on Favignana, I Pretti Resort has just 16 rooms and suites, and a serene atmosphere focussed on luxury and elegance. As well as overlooking the sea, you’re just a few minutes walk from the beach and surrounded by lovely, flower-filled gardens. Perfect if you want to relax.
For Food and Wine Lovers
- Wine Resort Villagrande is a peaceful, elegant country house with four rooms overlooking its own winery. The decor is cool and quite traditional but the views spread all the way out to the Ionian coast. The sunsets are magical.
- In the heart of the famous, family-run Planeta vineyards near Menfi, La Foresteria Planeta is, arguably, one of Sicily's prime wine hotels. Colourful, individually decorated rooms mix contemporary and period pieces; each has a private terrace. With authentic Sicilian cuisine - lessons from the chef for the keen! - an infinity pool and sea views, this is near-perfect.
- Palermo’s Principe de Villafranca is a stylish, boutique hotel with parquet floors, cool white rooms and modern art. There’s a vast sitting-room-cum library and a very chic, double-height dining room. It’s close to many bars so you can pick up tips on your wine-tasting.
- The big draw at Torre Marabino, a working farm near Modica, is the wine cellar; a vast, vaulted space where you can taste your way to heaven. There’s a beautiful restaurant, excellent Sicilian menus and just seven airy rooms furnished with elegant simplicity.
- Casa Italia is a collection of wonderfully converted stone cottages on the hillside in the centre of Modica. There are ten rooms/ suites/ apartments each with a private terrace and rather wonderful design which often incorporates the original stone of the cottages.
- Masseria degli Ulivi, tucked into the hillside above Noto and surrounded by olive groves, might not quite make the grade as a boutique hotel, but it’s definitely along those lines, while also being small, peaceful reasonably priced and family friendly. And only 20 minutes from the coast. Bedrooms are simple, cool and serene and there’s a beautiful infinity pool and open-sided dining room.
- If you want to be by the beach try Cambiocavallo in Modica, a traditional villa renovated with a minimalist design ethos and an attractive pastel palette. There are eight rooms, with private terraces, plus a lovely pool and sun deck. Rooms start from €89 per night.
The Best Value Boutique Hotels on Sicily
- In the heart of Palermo you’ll find ll Giardino di Ballaro, an 18th-century townhouse, now a quirky boutique B&B. There are five spacious and contemporary rooms surrounding a courtyard, each decorated with style and panache; perhaps a vintage radio, bright modern art or boldly coloured headboard. Breakfast is served al fresco in the courtyard under the shade of the citrus trees. Rooms start from €80 per night including breakfast.
- For as litlle as €75 per night (low season) including breakfast, you can book into the beach-y minimalist Hotel Gutkowski, a 26 room hotel with fabulous sea views and simple but elegant decor.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best boutique hotels on Sicily on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best hotels on Sicily,
- consider staying in one of the best wine hotels in Sicily?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Boutique Hotels on Sicily
Siracusa Resort 11 rooms from £140Syracusa, Sicily
Stylish small resort with the only private beach in Syracuse. Eleven rooms, one suite and three apartments for the more independent minded. Chic interiors with natural elements: exposed stone work, white washed walls and fine fabrics. A grown up beach retreat a stone's throw from Ortigia.Outstanding location - Arrive by boat to really appreciate the fabulous locationViews - Lovely views over to the island of Ortigia and the Med.On the beach - The only resort in Syracuse with a private beachRestrictions on children - Adults only property. Over 14s are accepted.
Hotel Villa Ducale 17 rooms from £229Taormina
La dolce vita in a romantic Sicilian villa overlooking the bay. Sensational views, frescoed walls, Italianate furnishings, rose-clad terraces, candlelit dinners, and a spa. Not far from the beach. The perfect choice for a honeymoon. Full of character and utterly romantic.Luxury - Traditional luxury includeds frescoed walls, brightly painted walls, trailing roses, hot tubs.Views - The terraces offer sensational bay views.Romantic - Good for couples.Romantic Break
Azienda Agricola Mandranova 16 rooms from £123Palma di Montechiaro, Sicily
Gorgeous olive farm and farmhouse on a hillside. Fabulous designer rooms, suites, and two private cottages, spectacular views, African gardens, excellent food and very family friendly. Still very romantic and very luxurious.Views - Great views from hotelGroupsFamiliesCooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Monaci Delle Terre Nere 19 rooms from £237Zafferana Etnea, Sicily
Wonderfully chic retreat on the slopes of Mount Etna. Rooms and suites blend contemporary design with original elements; glass walls and parquet floors complement stone walls and wooden beams. Cinema, games room, tennis, an excellent restaurant. Very romantic, gourmet and family friendly.FoodiesWellbeingHoneymoonsActive HolidayRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, CN Traveller
Zash Country Boutique Hotel 9 rooms from £130Archi, Sicily
Minimalist and design fans will simply love this property. Blending old and new, nature and decor this property immerses its guests in the local surroundings. Glass walls, exposed stonework and in room jacuzzis. Sample the best in Sicilian cuisine in the sun filled gardens, A photographers dream!Sights nearby - Make a day trip to the ominous Mount Etna.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.OpulentFull of characterRecommended by - Design Hotels
Hotel Villa Carlotta 23 rooms from £131Taormina
A beautiful luxury villa on the cliff tops over the Ionian sea. Sumptuous rooms, suites and apartments all with private terraces. Rooms have stone floors, delicate watercolours and rich fabrics. Fantastic restaurant and pool. Utterly romantic, but still very accommodating for families or groups.FoodiesFamiliesHoneymoonsGroupsRecommended by - I Escape, Small Luxury Hotels
Principe di villafranca 32 rooms from £96Palermo
Boutique hotel in the heart of Palermo, a short walk from the Politeama and Massimo theatres. Rooms have antique furnishings, marble floors, and vaulted ceilings giving an authentic, luxurious feel. A cozy Sicilian restaurant at the hotel and many bars on nearby streets. Ideal for work or pleasure.Great walks - Walk the city from Via Maqueda and Corso Vittorio EmanuelSights nearby - Explore 16th-century catacombsLocal markets - Explore Ballarò MarketRecommended by - Fodors
Wine Resort Villagrande 4 rooms from £123Milo, Sicily
A peaceful Vineyard resort with views over the winery. This elegant country house has an array of sun terraces where guests can unwind. Rooms are cool, with classic high ceilings. Have a glass of local wine with dinner, whilst enjoying the glorious sunset over the hills.Local exploring - A great base for wine enthusiasts or simply exploring the area.Views - All rooms have views over the Ionian coastGreat walks - Etna National ParkBack to Nature
Henry's House 12 rooms from £100Syracuse (Ortigia)
This unique property is located on the architecturally famous island of Ortygia. All rooms are decorated in a bohemian style with wrought iron beds, fabulous antique furniture, art work and sea views. A typical Italian breakfast can be enjoyed on the sun terrace. Local cafés are walking distance.Sights nearby - The hotel is walking distance from the architectural Castello ManiaceSailing - Can be booked nearby.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
I Pretti Resort 16 rooms from £112Favignana TP
I Pretti Resort is a charming hotel situated on the quaint little island of Favignana. A serene atmosphere pervades throughout the hotel, which focuses on luxury and elegance. With a yummy breakfast each morning in the flower filled gardens, it's perfect for a restorative relaxing holiday.Beach Life - A beautiful and serene spot overlooking the sea, and just a few minutes walk to the lovely Praia Beach on Favignana.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating limestone caves and the Hypogeum Gardens.Fishing - Organise a sea fishing trip out from Favignana harbour.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Cas'almare 6 rooms from £127Sicily, Favignana
A gorgeous little guesthouse hotel in a sunny location with its own private beach and beach club. Chic creamy suites are luxurious in style, and all have private balconies and sea facing views. The perfect sun trap for a romantic beach holiday on the island of Favignana.Beach Life - Fantastic location just set back from the sea and a beach club.Views - Stunning ocean views.Seaside - The hotel’s beach club café serves light lunches, mainly sandwiches and salads.Sights nearby - Cala Rossa cove is famous for its rock formations.Recommended by - I Escape
Palazzo Failla 10 rooms from £96Modica
Elegant Baroque townhouse with a Michelin star restaurant. Aristocratic rooms have frescoed ceilings, rich fabrics, and walls of Toile du jouy. An excellent choice for the sophisticated cultural traveller with a sensitive palette.Foodies - Michelin star restaurant.Sights nearby - Located in the centre of ModicaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Traditional
B&B Il Giardino di Ballaro 5 rooms from £70Palermo (75/77)
Charming, characterful, colourful boutique B&B in the heart of historical Palmero. Rooms with quirky art and furnishings, air conditioning and direct access to lovely outdoor courtyard. Traditional Sicilian breakfast available. Child friendly and great value.Sights nearby - Moment from cathedral, Cappella Palatina, Tower of San NicolòLocal markets - Close to BallaròGreat walks - Good for walkers.
La Foresteria Planeta Estate 14 rooms from £228Menfi, Sicily
Luxury wine resort in south west Sicily. Nestled amongst the vineyards, rooms are individually decorated with period pieces, all have private terraces and wonderful sea views. Authentic Sicilian cuisine and cookery lessons for the very keen! A family friendly, foodie haven, close to the beach.Cooking classes - Chef Angelo Pumilia teaches authentic Sicilian cooking in the hotel's spacious kitchenWine tasting - Have a guided wine tourGreat walks - Walk the vineyards and olive groves that surround La ForesteriaFull of character
Cambiocavallo 8 rooms from £78Modica
Traditional villa renovated with contemporary minimalism between the sea and Modica. Rooms with attractive pastel washed walls, light wood furniture and private terraces. Lovely pool and sun deck, restaurants nearby. A great spot for a family holiday with access to beaches and sights around.Birdwatching - Nature reserves of Fiume Irminio and Vendicari.Sights nearby - Unesco-listed Baroque towns.Four poster beds - For romantics.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
Torre Marabino 7 rooms from £135Modica
A lovely working farmhouse with its own wine barrels and an excellent restaurant. Rustic rooms with wooden beams, white washed walls, exposed stone and simple furniture. Lovely gardens and pool. A romantic and gourmet spot.FoodiesSights nearby - Explore the Unesco Baroque towns of Noto and Modica, plus much moreSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Hotel Gutkowski 26 rooms from £66Syracuse
Beachy minimalism on Ortigia's peninsula with fabulous sea views from the terrace. White washed walls, dashes of sea blue, black and white chequered floors, and elegant beds. A great value choice for families or romantic breaks by the sea.Views - Wonderful seaviews or over the rooftops of OrtigiaValue chicRoof terraceSailing - Up the Ciane river in a gozzo (traditional sailing boat).Recommended by - I Escape, Frommers, CN Traveller
Masseria degli Ulivi 34 rooms from £96Noto
A serene hillside hotel surrounded by olive groves in a remote setting above Noto. Bedrooms (plus some triples and quadruples) are perfect for families and groups, all decorated with contemporary elegance. Fabulous infinity pool and excellent restaurant. Close to beaches and sights nearby.Sights nearby - Palazzolo Acreide and the delights of the World Heritage Site NotoBirdwatching - Wetlands around Vendicari.Remote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - I Escape