10 Best Tuscan Hotels for Food and Wine
There are so many reasons to visit Tuscany. And, while for some visitors, the delicious gelato eaten in front of the tower of Pisa, the superb Chianti sipped on a sunny terrace looking out from beautiful San Gimignano, or the perfect coffee to accompany ones musing over David, are a very pleasant bonus, for some of us they’re one of the main reasons to visit Tuscan. Because Tuscany is delicious! You might want to delve deep into the flavours of the local Montepulciano and Montalcino wines, or learn about the ‘Super-Tuscans’ from those who know them best. Or you might what to dive deep into the Ribollita or Pappa al Pomodoro, or even just the region’s olive oils - and possibly take home a few recipes of your own? Well our list of the 10 best Tuscany hotels for food and wine is a great place to start planning, and drooling, over your Tuscan travel plans. We’ve included some of the best Tuscan hotels for food, and some of the top wine hotels in Tuscany, but also the best vineyard hotels in Tuscany too.
The Best Vineyard Hotels in Tuscany
- The Castello di Vicarello is one of the best luxury hotels in the Tuscan countryside, a seven room castle hotel with panoramic views over its own working vineyards. The decor is Italianate opulence: traditional and romantic, and there’s a top of the range spa and pool and a restaurant serving local sourced regional cuisine.
- Conti di San Bonifacio is a stunning, five room Tuscan farmhouse renovation set in the hills above its own wine estate. Expect four-poster beds, furniture throws, marble bathrooms, fireplaces and terraces, and an infinity pool with incredible views. And of course fantastic food and wine.
Hotels For Food, Wine and Views
- Montepulciano is a big name in Italian wine, and this gorgeously cobbled, Medieval hilltop town bats above its weight in the calibre of its restaurants too. The Locanda di San Francesco is a great gourmet restaurant in the centre of town, with just four rustic chic rooms - all with fabulous views over the surrounding countryside. Their wine tasting events are excellent too…
- The Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort is another treat for anyone who appreciates the pleasure of great food against a great view. This country house estate is certainly one of the best hotels in the Tuscan hills and has a range of rooms, suites, family suites, and apartments, all decorated with antiques and killim rugs, with glorious views over cypresses and olive groves. They offer cooking classes too.
- If you’re here to learn how to cook like the Tuscans consider staying at the Tenuta San Pietro, a small gourmet hotel with just ten rooms. Its location is superb, just outside Lucca, and surrounded by olive groves and vineyards. And the interiors of this 16th century farmhouse are lovingly restored, yet still charmingly rustic. They also run art classes.
For Food, Wine and Luxury
- For a true slice of heaven book a stay at the Castello Banfi Il Borgo. Here you'll find a beautifully restored 13th century castle which now offers fourteen luxurious rooms and suites, plus fabulous restaurants (both fine dining and more relaxed) and all surrounded by its very own award winning wine estate.
- One of Tuscany’s finest hotels, Il Falconiere is all calm sophistication, elegance and superb service. Its Michelin-starred restaurant, where you can also take cooking classes or wine tastings, is set on a lovely romantic terrace with views over the surrounding countryside. The pool and spa are completely charming too.
- We also like Florence’s Villa Tolomei, which is an elegant, 14th century villa converted into a 31 room retreat, surrounded by gardens, olive groves, vineyards and an outdoor pool, yet just five minutes from the centre of Florence. The views over the city are peaceful, and the restaurant is wonderful.
For Food, Wine and Romance
- The Villa di Piazzano was built by the Medici family as a hunting lodge, just outside of Cortona, and is now a magical, family-run hotel with 21 romantic rooms, a beautiful pool and Italianate gardens and a restaurant serving excellent Tuscan food and wine. They have an excellent cellar and run cooking classes too…
- La Bandita Townhouse in Pienza is a sophisticated, ten room townhouse with a modern Italian restaurant that people have been known to refer to as ‘divine’. The decor is minimalist: think exposed brickwork, whitewashed walls, angular four-poster beds and stand along baths.
For Great Value
- The Relais Villa Baldelli is a striking country house hotel just outside Cortona. Its 15 rooms are traditionally decorated and quite romantic. And there’s a restaurant where they offer cooking classes and wine tastings, plus an enormous pool and lush gardens. And the room rate starts from under £90 per night.
- In the heart of Renaissance Pienza, Il Chiostro di Pienza is a former monastery, overlooking the peaceful Orcia valley. Bedrooms are graceful and simple with tiled floors and raftered or arched ceilings. Dine in the cloisters and relax in the pool with those lovely views.
If you haven’t found the perfect Tuscan hotel on our list of the 10 best Tuscan Hotels for food and wine you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Tuscany,
- consult our Guru’s recommendations for the 10 best wine hotels in Tuscany?
- Or you might like to refine your search to just the best hotels in rural Tuscany, or the best hotels in Tuscan towns?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The 10 Best Tuscan Hotels for Food and Wine
Castello Banfi il Borgo Tuscany 14 rooms from £364Foodies - Fantastic traditional Tuscan dishes and an Enoteca stocking wine from the 7000 acre wine estate.Good wine list - The castle has its own vineyard which produces award-winning wines.Romantic - Utterly romantic in location, decoration, and ambience.Views - Panoramic views of the hotel's vineyards around.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
An award-winning Tuscan boutique hotel with serious joie de vivre. A stunning 13th-century castle and wine estate with traditional romantic interiors, gourmet Tuscan cuisine, an enoteca, and heated pool. Luxurious rooms and suites have arched ceilings, four poster beds, and stunning views. See More
Castello di Vicarello Tuscany 7 rooms from £554Views - Stunning valley views of the vineyards beyond.Romantic - Rural romance and glorious countryside.Spa breaksRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
A highly luxurious boutique hotel perched on a hilltop with panoramic views over its own vineyards. Romantic rooms and suites have traditional decoration and Italianate opulence. A top of the range spa, fabulous regional cuisine fresh from the garden, and a pool. Glorious, rural, romantic. See More
Conti di San Bonifacio Gavorrano Grosseto, Tuscany 5 rooms from £181HoneymoonsRomantic BreakLuxurySights nearby - Explore the mediaeval hilltop villages of the Maremma regionRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Stunning Tuscan farmhouse renovation set in hills overlooking its wine estate. Superbly luxurious rooms and suites with four poster beds, fur throws, marble bathrooms, fireplaces and terraces. Fantastic food, infinity pool, wine tasting and endless views. Utterly romantic. See More
Locanda di San Francesco Montepulciano Siena, Tuscany 4 rooms from £174FoodiesSights nearby - Located in the centre of historic MontepulcianoViews - Wonderful views across the Val d'OrciaGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape
Il Falconiere Cortona, Tuscany 22 rooms from £378Sights nearby - Take a picnic to Lake Trasimeno and spend a summers day in the water.Cooking classes - On site cookery school, led by Chef and owner Silvia Baracchi.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolFull of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
Romantic setting for food lovers. Dine at a Micehlin-starred restaurant in a stunning 17th Century Tuscan manor. Beautiful, spacious rooms are a perfect blend of homely meets luxury. Relax by the pool or at the spa. Dining is top class plus you can take part in cooking classes and wine tasting. See More
Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort Vicchio di Mugello, Tuscany 14 rooms from £112Groups - Group bookings are popular, a great place to spend time with friends.Families - Rooms can fit 5 with an extra bed on the ground floor of the villa.Great walks - Wide selection of walks on the doorstepSights nearby - Explore the Mugello ValleyRecommended by - Sawdays
Villa Tolomei Florence 31 rooms from £148Outstanding location - In a tranquil setting, the beauiful cty of Florence with its exceptional churches, galleries, art and shopping is close byRestaurant - The Il Conventino a Marignolle restaurant, offers exquisite Tuscan cuisine using fresh produce from the estateViews - Fantastic views over Florence and the Arno ValleySit-out TerraceRecommended by - Tablet
La Bandita Townhouse Pienza, Tuscany 12 rooms from £282Foodies - Home to a laid-back Tuscan restaurant with locally sourced produce and great wines, this hotel works well for foodiesHideaway - Offering quiet rooms in a picturesque Tuscan village, book this hotel for an idyllic hideaway holidayRomantic Break - With well-appointed suites and romantic soaking tubs, book this hotel for a tranquil couples' getawayGreat walks - See the sights of UNESCO heritage village Pienza on a long walk; ask your host for local tipsRecommended by - CN Traveller, Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Sophisticated townhouse oozing contemporary chic with a fantastic restaurant. Minimalist bedrooms and suites have exposed brickwork, white washed walls, wooden four poster beds and stand alone bath tubs. Fresh modern Italian food with daily a changing menu. Contemporary townhouse vibe. See More
Tenuta San Pietro Lucca 10 rooms from £148FoodiesSights nearby - Not far from Lucca. The hotel provides a free shuttle service to and from the townCooking classes - One day classes or cooking holidays availableViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Villa di Piazzano Cortona (Tuscany) 21 rooms from £156Great walks - The Umbrian countryside is simply stunning and offers plenty of walking trails.Sights nearby - Hop in the car to Lake Trasimeno. Take a picnic and make a day out of it.Cooking classes - Cooking classes avalaible for all guests. Enquire before arrival.Swimming Pool - Outdoor Pool
This former Medici hunting lodge is now a magical Tuscan family-run hotel. Retreat to the romantic rooms, relax by the pool, stroll around the beautiful gardens, and feast on delicious Tuscan food and wine. The perfect country escape for all to explore Tuscany. Foodies will love the cooking classes. See More
Il Chiostro di Pienza Pienza, Tuscany 37 rooms from £74Romantic Break - Candlelight meals on the rooftop, lazy days by the pool and magnificant suites, some featuring original ceiling frescoes.Local exploring - Right in the centre of this ancient and orginal example of Rennaissance townplanning, explore and soak up the history.Sights nearby - In the historic central square of Pienza, only 100m from the famed Pienza CathedralGreat walks - The Tuscan hillsides and vineyards make for some spectacular walking.
Former monastery in the heart of Pienza offers elegance and style, with delightful bedrooms in natural tones with tiled floors and arched ceilings. The cloister terrace restaurant serves delicious food and there are beautiful gardens and a pool that overlook the undulating valley. A romantic spot. See More