The 19 Coolest hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam is filled with hip hotels that combine the coolest of 21st-century style with the charm of historic buildings, luxurious rooms and up-to-the-minute bars and restaurants. Many of the coolest hotels in Amsterdam cluster in the Negen Straatjes neighbourhood and elsewhere on the Canal Belt and in the neighbouring Jordaan district. You'll also find ultra-cool places to stay in the newly-trendy Noord and Eastern Docklands neighbourhoods. Our hotel experts have scoured the city to bring you their top picks of the hippest city stays including properties primed for night owls, design hotels, boutiques, luxury stays, and even options with co-working spaces. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next break?
For night owls
- Guests at Sir Adam Hotel can enjoy two of the city's coolest nightspots, smart bars and restaurants and a rooftop bar with breathtaking sunset views atop the landmark A'DAM Toren.
- The lobby bar at Hotel V Nesplein is the perfect spot for after-dinner drinks or a nightcap after an evening on the town. Bedrooms are quietly colourful in a stylish minimalist way.
For retro style
- Like its London namesake, The Hoxton is so hip it hurts. High-ceilinged rooms feature brass chandeliers, original wood floors, vintage mirrors and exposed beams and brickwork. A favourite with the young and trendy.
- Flawless service is a hallmark of The Dylan, where the menu at the Michelin-starred Vinkeles restaurant matches the flair of stunning luxury suites. A standout stay.
- Sir Albert is well known for its restaurant Izakaya which serves Japanese-inspired food, beautifully presented in tapas-style portions. The rest of the hotel is pretty stylish too with a grown-up masculine feel. Expect luxurious rooms decorated in white with dark furniture and all the modern gadgetry.
For co-working spaces
- Located in Amsterdam's buzzing Eastern Canal District, Zoku combines sleek and modern rooms with stunning, open-plan communal spaces where guests can socialise, work, and eat together. A perfect base for travelling professionals. Stylish and contemporary living.
- Volkshotel is an old Newspaper Office HQ which has been artfully redesigned as a creative hub. The contemporary feel runs throughout the hotel, from the flexi-work space to the exciting bar and nightclub. Ideal for those who want to work by day and party by night!
For art lovers
- Fantasy design themes in public areas and bedrooms turn Andaz Amsterdam into a virtual art installation. With the Rijksmuseum nearby, this is a real crowd-pleaser for art enthusiasts.
- The on-site 5&33 Gallery at Art'Otel Amsterdam features work by contemporary artists, and rooms are filled with work from hotel owner Joep van Lieshout's studio. A very chic choice.
- Cocktails on the terrace at College Hotel, beside the Vondelpark, are a perfect way to finish a day at the nearby Rijksmuseum.
For the design
- Hotel Van de Vijsel is a beautifully crafted hotel offering cool contemporary aesthetics in the heart of the city. Designed in and out with wood while mixing traditional and modern designs. Rooms are simple with a Scandi-chic feel (plenty of wood again and simple crisp white linen). A stylish choice.
- Hotel The Exchange is a central, fashion-themed, hotel occupying three buildings. Each room tells a story and was designed by students from Amsterdam Fashion Institute, from costume drama in the "Marie Antoinette” suite to the “Catwalk” room with an illuminated runway. For style-conscious urbanites.
- Hotel de Hallen is a unique design hotel located in a former tram depot. Having undergone a loving conversion, the hotel offers contemporary rooms with vintage touches. Complete with the chic international restaurant Remise47, this is a smart city stay.
For a boutique
- Mr Jordaan is a small boutique hotel in the hip Jordaan district. Chic boutique interiors include bare brick walls, Sixties/Seventies retro designer chairs, and contemporary lamps. A stylish base for a city break.
- Morgan & Mees is a cosy boutique hotel located in the bohemian Amsterdam West district. Stylish guestrooms boast COCO-MAT beds, unique artwork and Marie Stella Maris toiletries. With a contemporary hotel restaurant, this is a chic city guesthouse.
- Hotel Arena is a chic four-star hotel located in a heritage property on the edge of Amsterdam's city centre. Rooms are bright and inviting with vintage design pieces. A stylish city option with a good range of amenities and that perfect mix of traditional and modern design.
For great value
- Hotel Not Hotel is a unique property merging art, design and hospitality. Rooms, not immediately obvious on first impressions, are in themselves large art installations. There's a lively common area which offers both breakfast and later cocktails and Thai food. A hip and well-priced option.
- Max Brown Hotel offers stylish rooms, in a great central location, all at a reasonable price. Larger rooms have great views over the Herengracht canal — one of Amsterdam's prettiest. Major sights and nightlife are all easily accessible. A hipster hang-out ideal for city exploring.
- CitizenM Amsterdam South provides accessible modern Dutch design at affordable prices. Small high-tech rooms are bright and airy, with top-notch accessories including rain showers and free movies on demand. The living and canteen area are lively meeting spots. A cool and good value choice for a city break.
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all our Amsterdam recommendations.
- Refine your search and look at our favourite hotels on Amsterdam's Waterfront or our favourite hotels in Amsterdam's Canal Belt.
- Alternatively, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Hotel V Nesplein Amsterdam 42 rooms from £239Short break - Just a10-minute walk to Centraal Station (one tram-stop) — this is convenient for a quick city breakChic - The style is eclectic (classic of the Dutch) giving the feel of staying in a friend's very chic homeLocal exploring - You could hardly get more central – a minute from the Dam, on the edge of the red-light districtTheatre - Set on a street that is a focus of Amsterdam’s alternative theatre scene
A chic modern hotel located slap-bang in the heart of the city. Industrial-chic rooms and suites have dark wood floors and stylish bathrooms. There's a buzzy restaurant and bar area which occasionally hosts live music. A central and cool spot for a weekend away in Amsterdam. See More
Sir Adam Hotel Amsterdam 108 rooms from £134Lively - The gourmet burger joint doubles up as an all-night party pit stop at the weekend and the hotel hosts a nightclub tooDesigner - The property has that warehouse-chic feel about it with soaring windows, polished concrete, and bespoke furnitureCity Style - A quirky and unique skyscraper conversion, filled with artists, roadies, and fashionistas — uber cool!Sights nearby - See the beautiful Royal Palace, visit Dam Square or head to Anne Frank HouseRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Design Hotels
The trendy Sir Adam Hotel is located in Amsterdam's historic centre overlooking the IJ-river. Plush rooms with funky features such as exposed stone walls and contemporary artworks. The Butcher Social Club serves up wonderful burgers with a great selection of beers. A one of a kind spot! See More
The Hoxton, Amsterdam Amsterdam 111 rooms from £320Groups - There's the option of private dining or curated parties in The Apartment — a great option for a special occasion as a groupLocal exploring - Located on The Nine Streets, you’ve got some of the city’s best restaurants and stores within minutes of the hotelCity Style - With hip urban style, a central location, and a buzzy brasserie — this is a trendy city baseDesigner Shopping - The hotel is just steps from the Negen Straatjes shopping quarter
A retro-chic hotel in the heart of the city. Spacious rooms feature sink-into beds, parquet floors, wood panelling and luxurious bathrooms. There are hotel bikes to rent, a very good restaurant and a lively bar. Just a stroll from many of the major sights and set on one of the prettiest canals. See More
The Dylan Hotel Amsterdam 40 rooms from £345City Style - A wonderfully balanced design hotel with the perfect mix of style and practicality, ideally set within the grachtengordelFoodies - Michelin starred Vinkeles restaurant serves impeccable cuisine and the lounge bar is one of the hottest spots in the cityClose to nightlife - Located on one of the city's most beautiful canals, packed with chic cafes, hip bars and trendy restaurantsBoutique - A chic boutique stay where period charm perfectly meets contemporary stylingRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Andaz Amsterdam Amsterdam 122 rooms from £328Contemporary - Modern touches make for easy living with work spaces, numerous sockets, & a tv that accesses the hotel's video art collectionDesigner - Designed and decorated by Marcel Wanders who has let his imagination run wild in keeping with the Andaz's whimsical designCity Style - Andaz always does city chic just right with flamboyant design, luxe touches, and well-trained staffSights nearby - The Anne Frank House, Wester Church, Royal Palace, and the Red Light District are all nearbyRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
A spectacular five-star hotel, the ultimate in fantastical design. The suites, garden, spa, restaurant, bar and library are designer showcases - fish head centrepieces, chandeliers, ornate cornicing, murals, porcelain, metallic gold etc. Canalside-cool and splendour for a unique city stay. See More
Art'otel, Amsterdam Amsterdam 107 rooms from £190Short break - Located opposite Centraal Station, locations don't get much handier than this for those on a quick city breakFoodies - Renowned chefs at ARCA restaurant create spectacular dishes mixing Portuguese and Asian flavoursSwimming Pool - Boasting one of the largest hotel pools in town (big enough to do short laps)Artworks - Find works by local artist Atelier Van Lieshout throughout the property
A sophisticated contemporary hotel with its own art gallery. Young, hip and designed for movers and shakers. Shiny rooms and suites offer lots of space and subtle lighting. There's an excellent restaurant and cocktail bar that merges Portuguese and Asian flavours. A trendy spot. See More
The College Hotel Amsterdam 40 rooms from £179Hotel Entertainment - The hotel bar, with atmospheric terrace and tasty cocktails has become an insider secret amongst the trendy young localsCity Style - An interesting and alluring hotel; the design, always slightly irregular or off beat gives it an eccelctic charmGroups - The hotel has five large function rooms and regularly hosts weddings, high teas and children birthdaysHistoric - Housed in a 1895 listed school building, the hotel is packed with characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
A four star boutique in Amsterdam's Fashion and Museum District. Welcomed by sensual interiors, the modern guest rooms are spacious and a great base for local exploring. Enjoy the Bar Lounge and the High Tea, a cocktail on the terrace and mouth watering dishes throughout the day. Vibrant and trendy. See More
Hotel Not Hotel Amsterdam 23 rooms from £77Groups - With its fun communal areas and rooms that sleep four - this is a good option for young visitors travelling on a budgetDesigner - Students from Eindhoven's Design Academy created the rooms and their young and creative flare is definitely apparentValue chic - With unique design, good amenities, and rooms offered well below the 100 Euro mark, this is a well-priced stayCity Style - A hotel where a room is not just a room but a work of art
A unique property merging art, design and hospitality. Rooms, not immediately obvious on first impressions, are in themselves large art instillations. There's a lively common area which offers both breakfast and later cocktails and thai food. Well located and priced for a city break. See More
Sir Albert Amsterdam 90 rooms from £148Hotel Entertainment - Take a unique tour of the city with one of the hotel's in-house specialists: an arts curator, a DJ, a stylist and moreLocal exploring - Set in a hip buzzy area surrounded by cafés and foodie hotspots of De Pijp and with the Albert Cuyp Market nearbyFoodies - Izakaya restaurant serves Japanese-inspired food, beautifully presented in tapas-style portionsIndustrial conversion - The building was originally a diamond factory and still has many of its original featuresRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Mr Jordaan Amsterdam City Centre 34 rooms from £177Local exploring - Ideally placed for an off-beat Amsterdam experience in the artsy Jordaan district and only a short walk from the main sights!Boutique - Chic boutique interiors include bare brick walls, Sixties/Seventies retro designer chairs, and contemporary lampsCity Style - A hip and homely boutique-style canal house hotel, with retro furnishings, soft hues and a welcoming atmosphereGroups - Two triple rooms are well suited to a small group of friends travelling together (or families)
CitizenM Amsterdam South Amsterdam 215 rooms from £108Contemporary - Expect black out blinds, widescreen TVs, power showers, and mood lighting - all the things a modern traveller requiresValue chic - A no nonsense hotel made for practical living with smart design, well-considered amenities, and a good priceShort break - Located just one train stop from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - this is ideal for a quick breakBusiness Hotel - Walking distance from the RAI Congress Centre and World Trade CentreRecommended by - Tablet
Accessible modern Dutch design with affordable accommodation. Small high tech rooms are bright and airy, with top notch accessories including rain showers and free movies on demand. The living and canteen area are lively meeting spots. A cool and good value choice for a city break. See More
Hotel Van de Vijsel Amsterdam 82 rooms from £119Local exploring - Set right between two of Amsterdam’s most desirable places — to the east, the canal district, and to the southwest, VondelparkArchitectural - Once home to the timber trade family business, it has been artfully designed using lots of reclaimed wood - a design masterpieceMuseums - Stroll down to the Rijkmuseum and marvel at the Dutch Golden Age painting masterpieces and vast European art collectionCity Style - An architecturally slick property crafted from fine wood craftsmanship in the heart of the cityRecommended by - Tablet
A beautifully crafted hotel offering cool contemporary aesthetics in the heart of the city. Designed in and out with wood while mixing traditional and modern designs. Rooms are simple with a Scandi-chic feel (plenty of wood again and simple crisp white linen). The city's sights are a stroll away. See More
Zoku Amsterdam 133 rooms from £122Self catering - Loft-style apartments come with kitchenettes. This along with the hotel's amenities & work setup make it perfect for long staysChic - The top floor is a sprawling, open-plan common room that includes coworking space, hangout areas, and games zonesLocal exploring - Well positioned within walking distance of the Hermitage, the opera house, and the Canal BeltYoga - Yoga classes are frequently held in the open-plan event spaceRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel de Hallen Amsterdam (Oud-West) 57 rooms from £117Local exploring - This hotel is in a great location for exploring Amsterdam, situated within walking distance of many major attractionsCity Style - Occupying a landmark industrial conversion in Amsterdam, this hotel has plenty of local city styleRomantic Break - Couples love this hotel's contemporary interiors and the stylish restaurantSights nearby - Take a tour of Anne Frank House, a short walk from the hotel; the writer's house now also features a musuemRecommended by - Fodors, Tablet
This unique design hotel is located in a former tram depot in Amsterdam. Having undergone a loving conversion, the hotel offers contemporary rooms with vintage touches; guests love the COCO-MAT beds and industrial interior design. Eat at the chic international restaurant Remise47; a smart city stay. See More
Hotel the Exchange Amsterdam 61 rooms from £141Designer Shopping - Wander around Prinsengracht and head towards the popular 9 Streets, a shopping paradise in the Jordaan neighbourhoodFull of character - From handbags on the wall to beds ensconsed with an oversized sculpted skirt, this is an utterly unique stayLocal exploring - Located right in the heart of the city this is a perfect spot for exploring the city by foot (or bike)City Style - A unique hotel designed by fashion students this is an undeniably cool spot
A central, fashion-themed, hotel occupying three buildings. Each room tells a story and were designed by students from Amsterdam Fashion Institute, from costume drama in the "Marie Antoinette” suite to the “Catwalk” room with an illuminated runway. For young couples and style-conscious urbanites. See More
Morgan & Mees Amsterdam (Westerpark) 9 rooms from £191Local exploring - Located close to the artsy neighbourhood of Jordaan, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in AmsterdamCity Style - With contemporary interiors featuring designer furnishings and toiletries, this hotel has lots of chic city styleRomantic Break - Couples love this hotel's cool, modern feel; book the luxury suite for added indulgence on your romantic getawaySights nearby - Stroll down to Dam Square and visit the Royal Palace, a neoclassical gem and the setting for Dutch royal events
This cosy boutique hotel is located in the bohemian Amsterdam West district. Stylish guestrooms boast COCO-MAT beds, unique artwork and Marie Stella Maris toiletries; book the luxury suite for living space and a freestanding bathtub. Dine at the contemporary hotel restaurant; a chic city guesthouse. See More
Volkshotel Amsterdam 162 rooms from £79Contemporary - Once a newspaper's office, it has been artfully converted to create chic modern spaces not forgetting the building's historyBusiness Centre - In the hotel is a vibey co-working space and artists' studios - making this a great environment for those on a 'workation'Value chic - A stylish yet well-priced hotel perfect for those travelling on a budgetLively - On Fridays and Saturdays (after 11 pm) the restaurant becomes a club
Set in East Amsterdam, an old Newspaper Office HQ has been redesigned as a creative hub welcoming all guests, 'from stockbrokers to punk rockers.' The contemporary feel runs throughout the hotel, from the flexi work space to the exciting bar and nightclub and into the individually designed rooms. See More
Hotel Arena Amsterdam 139 rooms from £110Foodies - Foodies are spoilt for choice at the hotel restaurant, with local and international dishes and a focus on fresh produceCity Style - Located in a beautiful heritage building on the outskirts of the city centre, this hotel has reams of local styleRomantic Break - Book a luxury suite with a freestanding bathtub for added indulgence on your next couples' getawayGreat walks - Explore Oosterpark, the pretty public park which neighbours the hotel, on a long walk
This chic, four-star hotel is located in a heritage property on the edge of Amsterdam's city centre. Rooms are bright and inviting with vintage design pieces; book a suite for beautifully appointed living space and panoramic views of the city or Oosterpark. Eat at the airy bistro; a charming hotel. See More