The 16 Best Boutique Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh is a hip modern city with an ancient heart. This is a city that has many faces, from trendy Leith to sophisticated Morningside or the Stockbridge area which feels like a quaint country village. Edinburgh's boutique hotels are, unsurprisingly, equally varied. From artsy urban boltholes to the decadence of a country manor, the best boutiques in Edinburgh tend to have had a former life, whether as a Georgian townhouse, lighthouse ship or 16th-century church. Our hotel experts have hand-selected their favourite boutique stays. With something for all tastes and budgets, why not browse through our collection to start planning your trip?
For a romantic escape
- From the outside, The Rutland Hotel looks like every other conservative Edinburgh townhouse; inside, however, this small and stylish hotel is a haven of artsy glamour. One of the best boutiques in Edinburgh for couples, the spacious self-catering apartments have bold colour schemes, animal hides, New Wave wallpaper and four-posters. The swanky bar and nightclub hidden below make it perfect for the young.
- Set in the charming Morningside district, The Lane is one of Edinburgh's best romantic boutiques primed for on-a-budget stays. The smart, light-filled and atmospheric rooms lead out onto a sit-out terrace and there's a bar and restaurant perfect for lazy afternoons.
- Prestonfield is a riot of opulence. A country house set within acres of parkland yet only minutes from the city centre, this adults-only Edinburgh boutique is perfect for couples looking to splash out. There's a whisky bar, fine-dining restaurant and croquet on the lawn. An indulgent choice.
For the design
- Undoubtedly one of Edinburgh's coolest boutiques, 24 Royal Terrace lies somewhere between a contemporary art gallery and a hotel. A beautifully reimagined Georgian townhouse filled with beautiful artworks (some worth up to half a million pounds). From the red-carpeted stairwell to the popular bar with its carefully selected single malts, it's a stylish stay.
- The Inn on the Mile is one of Edinburgh's best boutiques for the urban trendsetter. A bar with a restaurant - this is a local landmark and has live music every night apart from Sundays. Chic rooms feature high ceilings, sink-into beds, and limewashed plank floors. A cosy yet hip stay.
- The Dunstane Houses is a chic and warm hotel spread over two stately Victorian townhouses with sweeping views of Edinburgh. Offering cool, unique design that is at once traditional and contemporary. Rooms are defined by artisan furniture, chintzy curtains and antiques. Best yet, there is an enormous collection of rare whiskey in the bar and quaint afternoon teas.
For great value
- 94 DR is one of the best value boutiques in Edinburgh. An unassuming terraced villa staring out to Arthur's Seat, inside it's a chic 5-star that still manages to be homely. The black-and-white rooms are stylish and spacious and the family suite features a bunk bed and an Xbox!
- Nira Caledonia is a sleek boutique that doesn't break the bank. Superb fine dining at the restaurant, elegant rooms marrying Scottish tradition and artisan comfort - it's incredible value for money.
- For a boutique that does things simply, The Raeburn is a good shout. Set in a gorgeous Georgian townhouse in cobbled, quiet, leafy Stockbridge, the spacious, simple rooms are dressed in muted creams and greys and the restaurant serves up decent pub-style grub.
- Twelve Picardy Place ticks all the boxes: an award-winning steakhouse, German street food in the beer garden, and sleek, minimalist rooms. Offering a prime location for sightseeing, it's also the very place where Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born - a real stand out stay.
- An award-winning brasserie with 10 elegant rooms, NO. 11 is one of Edinburgh's most romantic boutiques. The rooms ooze sleek sophistication with their antiques, four-posters, chintzy wallpapers and modern art. A warm and welcoming urban bolthole.
- 21212 is a Michelin-star restaurant with rooms - an elegant, modern stay just 10 minutes from the city centre. One of the best Edinburgh boutiques for foodies, the contemporary-yet-baroque rooms are homely and stylish and boast gorgeous views of the Forth.
- For a kid-friendly boutique in Edinburgh, you can't get better than the quirky and colourful world of Black Ivy. The twee rooms are charming and the family suites are spacious with bold design, perfect for kids. Fun and laid back - an ideal choice for those travelling with kids.
- Tigerlily is pure luxury. This glamorous boutique boasts an iconic cocktail bar and a restaurant so popular that guests have to book well ahead. The spacious designer rooms have artisan furnishings and the best have four-posters. The leafy, romantic terrace, with its velveteen chairs, makes it one of Edinburgh's best luxury boutiques for couples.
- The Witchery by the Castle is a brooding conversion of a 16th-century church. Total luxury, with gilded ceilings, plenty of red velvet and oil paintings. An adults-only boutique and undoubtedly one of the most unique luxury hotels in Edinburgh for couples.
- From classic cabins to pure decadence, Fingal is a beautiful luxury property. A retired lighthouse tender ship, and Scotland's first-ever floating hotel, it's docked in Leith harbour and boasts plush, minimalist rooms with plenty of brass, leather and suede. With fine dining in the restaurant and an impressive ballroom, this is a unique stay in the hip district of Leith.
Still not sure where to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Edinburgh;
- Or check out our collections of the Best Hotels in Edinburgh’s New Town or the Best Edinburgh Hotels with Pools;
- Have a look at this list of the best hotels in Edinburgh's Old Town or West End;
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our Gurus for advice.
The Dunstane Houses Edinburgh 35 rooms from £219Exclusive offer - 10% off City BreakSights nearby - Easy access to all of Edinburgh's top attractions including the Royal Mile, Old Town and Prince's StreetRestaurant - Ba'Bar and Lounge, fine Scottish dining with a touch of Orkney!Great walks - Climb Arthur's seat for a great view over the city and beyond.Designer - Uniquely designed interiorsRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith
In a peaceful corner of Edinburgh’s West End, a short walk from Haymarket and 15 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh airport, The Dunstane Houses is an independent, 5 star VisitScotland 35-bedroom boutique hotel spread over two stately Victorian townhouses on opposite sides of the road. See More
The Rutland Hotel Edinburgh 12 rooms from £135Lively - Hip and happening.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.BoutiqueRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
24 Royal Terrace Edinburgh 15 rooms from £150City Style - Stylish accommodation in the heart of the citySights nearby - Within twenty minutes walk of Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile.Restaurant - Recommended.Lively - Hip and happening.
Centrally located, 24 Royal Terrace is a home away from home for connoisseurs of contemporary art and stylish design. Home to a popular bar, serving carefully chosen single malts this is a top-drawer stay. Sumptuous rooms, decorated in a classic style feature all the mod-cons. A winning stay. See More
94 DR Edinburgh 7 rooms from £80Families - The family suite comes complete with bunk room, Xbox, toy chest and DVD player!Value chic - Beautifully done contemporary rooms which offer amazing value for moneyBoutique - Individually designed rooms offer contemporary style alongside period Victorian featuresViews - Some of the rooms boast excellent views of Arthur's Seat and Salisbury CraggsRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide
Twelve Picardy Place Edinburgh 10 rooms from £121City Style - A chic hotel in a beautiful Georgian townhouse, with a cool contemporary rooms, a Bier Keller and sleek steakhouse.Writing a novel - Draw inspiration from stayng in the very building that the literary giant Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born in!Restaurant - In house specialist steak restaurant supplied by Donald Russell, who also provides steak for the Queen.Great walks - Centrally located, this hotel is perfect for exploring this beautiful and historic city on foot.
An ultra-chic boutique property in Edinburgh's buzzy Broughton district. Spacious rooms and suites are done in muted grey hues and come with either huge bath tubs or rain showers as standard, and tall windows for maximum light. Award winning steak restaurant and Bier Keller with terrace. See More
No. 11 Edinburgh 10 rooms from £100Foodies - No 11's Brasserie is award winning. They forage for fungi & herbs and source other ingredients from local artisan suppliers.Sights nearby - Walk up the Royal Mile to the magnificent Edinburgh Castle.Great walks - Go for a walk up Calton Hill.Restaurant - Recommended.
Stylish and sleek, No. 11 in Edinburgh's New Town is an exemplary restaurant with rooms. The ten elegantly designed and tastefully furnished rooms are spacious and luxurious. Just a short walk from the heart of Edinburgh, it's perfect for a romantic break in Scotland's capital. See More
The Inn on the Mile Edinburgh 9 rooms from £146Sights nearby - Within five minutes walk of Edinburgh Castle and St Giles Cathedral.Great walks - Take a walk up the nearby picturesque Arthur's Seat.Landmark - Situated on Edinburgh's historic Royal Mile.
Nira Caledonia Edinburgh 28 rooms from £95Great walks - Go for a lovely walk in the nearby Royal Botanic Garden.Local markets - On Sundays, visit Stockbridge Farmers Market.Sights nearby - Visit the iconic Edinburgh Castle.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Nira Caledonia is situated within a magnificent row of Georgian townhouses and is a luxurious boutique hotel. Elegantly designed rooms are chic and comfortable with spacious ensuite bathrooms. The superb restaurant serves delicious cuisine that focuses on local and organic produce. See More
Black Ivy Edinburgh 22 rooms from £135City Style - A smart boutique hotel who claim (and achieve) "luxury for all, from breakfast ’til bedtime".Sights nearby - A trip to Edinburgh wouldn't be complete without visiting the impressive castle.Great walks - Climb to the top of Holyrood Park known as Arthur's Seat.Full of character
A chic boutique hotel in the leafy neighbourhood of Bruntsfield. Quirkily designed rooms feature boldly coloured headboards, large sash windows, crisp white linen and luxurious bathrooms. A lively bar serves up superlative cocktails and the restaurant uses local produce to great effect. See More
Tigerlily Edinburgh 33 rooms from £220City Style - A bold boutique hotel full of glitz and glamour, with an excellent cocktail bar and access to a connecting nightclub.Sights nearby - The impressive Edinburgh castle is in close proximity.Lively - Hip and happening.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Witchery by the Castle Edinburgh (Royal Mile) 9 rooms from £365Foodies - Serving Scottish beef, lamb, game, the Witchery's famous steak tartare, briny-fresh seafood platters and even some haggis.Romantic Break - The glamourous, plush yet cosy interiors with love seats, four poster beds, and plenty of candles are perfect for couplesSights nearby - In the heart of the Old Town on Edinburgh's famous Royal MileFull of character - Theatrical red & gold, velveted roomsRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
The Raeburn Edinburgh 10 rooms from £125City Style - Smart rooms boast Egyptian cotton bed linen and rooms with either rainshower or rolltop bath tubsLocal exploring - Stockbridge is a great base for exploring the city, as long as you don't mind the hills!Restaurant - The Raeburn serves mainly gastropub style dishes with a Josper Grill for delicious steaks and burgersSights nearby - Ten minutes walk from the Edinburgh Botanics, or 15 mins up the hill to Princes Street
21212 Edinburgh 4 rooms from £95Foodies - Paul Kitching's michelin starred 21212 is one of Edinburgh's finest restaurants.Local exploring - Perfect for a weekend of exploring Scotland's capital.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from the Royal Mile and Edinburgh castle.Great walks - Excellent walking around the nearby Carlton Hill.
The Lane Edinburgh 6 rooms from £90Restaurant - Though not in the same building the Canny Man's is just around the corner and is renowned for its seafoodGreat walks - Climb Edinburgh's iconic Arthur's Seat.Sights nearby - Visit Edinburgh's world famous castle.Restrictions on children - This is an adults only property
Prestonfield Edinburgh (Priestfield Road) 23 rooms from £252Romantic Break - This hotel oozes glammour, romance and seduction, with its wildly opulent canopied beds, rich fabrics and roaring fires.Local exploring - The best of both worlds- set in 20 acres of spectacular parklands, yet within spitting distance of Edinburgh.Great walks - Don't forget your welly boots, there are 20 acres of parkland to explore.Restrictions on children - Adults onlyRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Opulent extravagance at the Prestonfield just 5 mins from the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. Come for attentive service, divine bedrooms and spoiling galore. Fine dining is served in an ultra romantic setting. The concierge have a 'nothing's too much' attitude. Best for a truly indulgent stay. See More
Fingal Edinburgh (Leith) 23 rooms from £300City Style - Set in the hip Leith area, with numerous high-end eateries and bars within walking distance, this is a luxurious and unique stayGroups - The magnificent ballroom is a unique and luxurious space for an event; hosting up to 60 peopleGreat walks - Take a scenic stroll along the Water of Leiths riverSights nearby - Compare boat notes at the Royal Yacht Britannia
A retired lighthouse tender, now turned luxury hotel, anchored in the hip area of Leith. Cabins range from classic doubles to decadent suites. The design is luxurious with brass fittings, leather, and rich hues. A glamorous ballroom is ideal for a party and there's a fabulous little restaurant too. See More